• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Brawl Rule Set (NOT OFFICIAL)

jog

Smash Journeyman
why with all the strict bans is brinstar sill around?
if death by stages is a factor.

and isn't part of CPing to give yourself a better chance of winning?
this is pretty extreme...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Why don't we just get it over with and ban everything besides Smashville and Battlefield?
No, Smashville is broken, that moving ledge could help someone recover, when they'd die otherwise.

why with all the strict bans is brinstar sill around?
if death by stages is a factor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUU_ZWhgO1M

It's a secret to everybody.

(if you don't want to watch the whole thing, the second half shows the most Brinstar abuse)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
In my opinion this ruleset is almost as bad as Evo's. I would never attend a tournament using this :/.

Just sayin'

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
OMG wow... that's, like, the rules I use. everyone hates that those are the only stages I'll play on consitently and that I only have 4 I consider neutral. wow.

I <3 everything about this ruleset. IT's gay that controller port matters so much... but that's sakurai's fault, not ours.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this ruleset absolutely ridiculius and totally restrictive for no apparent reason but trying to make brawl something it is not.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
OMG wow... that's, like, the rules I use. everyone hates that those are the only stages I'll play on consitently and that I only have 4 I consider neutral. wow.

I <3 everything about this ruleset. IT's gay that controller port matters so much... but that's sakurai's fault, not ours.
sakuraiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!

Jesus Christ, do you guys totally lack any amount of self-awareness? It's ****ing pathetic.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
sakuraiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!

Jesus Christ, do you guys totally lack any amount of self-awareness? It's ****ing pathetic.
I concur with this well-thought out, detailed post.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
I would think I wouldn't have to spell it out, but your enjoyment of lucky star clearly indicates that you're not the most rational of people. Stop blaming a game designer for creating the game he wanted people to play. Bad design choices? A ****ing plenty because sakurai is no God (though he will forever be my hero for kirby:ss, despite its many flaws). So instead of being a whiny **** about some *** game designer on the internet for not making his game that was clearly intended for fun play with friends based on level design, item design etc. maybe do something productive like pick up a game that might allow you to apply things like tech skill, combos and all the other things people seem to want in brawl that exist in other, more viable fighters?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Maybe people like Smash. However, why are you getting on StH's case not about a bad design choice, but about an inherent flaw in the game's programming?

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I would think I wouldn't have to spell it out, but your enjoyment of lucky star clearly indicates that you're not the most rational of people. Stop blaming a game designer for creating the game he wanted people to play. Bad design choices? A ****ing plenty because sakurai is no God (though he will forever be my hero for kirby:ss, despite its many flaws). So instead of being a whiny **** about some *** game designer on the internet for not making his game that was clearly intended for fun play with friends based on level design, item design etc. maybe do something productive like pick up a game that might allow you to apply things like tech skill, combos and all the other things people seem to want in brawl that exist in other, more viable fighters?
hey, watch it.

Don't lump him with other Lucky Star fans.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I disagree with the stage list - though the removal of the Starter/counter and Counter/ban is welcomed, the DDD chaingrab illegality is interesting, and the douche part is... a bit childish.

But above all it's boring, I wouldn't use it.

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
Smash was designed to play as you wish, and we use certain rules. I, for one, have fun not playing with items or crappy stages.

But this ruleset is waaay to restrictive on the stages D:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's not a design choice to place one if statement before the next and not check the rest of the conditions while you're at it. It's just laziness on the developer's part.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
smash was given customizability.

the mechanics of the game indicate that sakurai didn't really care about people who were looking for skill intensive one v one competition with little randomness. All signs indicate the contrary, infact.

of course you can play any game as you wish, just it's silly to try to mold a figurine with a sledgehammer when you can use a fine pick. you can of course always use the sledghammer, but the results will probably not be very pretty (see: current brawl competitive scene).

D

Deleted member

the mechanics of the game indicate that sakurai didn't really care about people who were looking for skill intensive one v one competition with little randomness. All signs indicate the contrary, infact.
that's why it's a competitive rule set. no one cares how you play at home.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Thad plays pretty competitively at home.

Alto I'm not sure if he plays brawl at home.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

of course you can play any game as you wish, just it's silly to try to mold a figurine with a sledgehammer when you can use a fine pick. you can of course always use the sledghammer, but the results will probably not be very pretty (see: current brawl competitive scene).
Some people choose to be more conservative than others. Japan in particular plays ONLY on Smashville, Battlefield, and Final Destination, with no stage counterpicks and, presumably, the same soft-ban on infinites as they had on Sheik's chaingrabs in Melee.

Just because you dislike the idea of removing a large portion of a game that wasn't designed with competitive intentions in the first place doesn't mean you have to go about arguing against it in such a way as posting a troll thread and flaming random people who like to play this way.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
I'm flaming the tnga mentality that competitive smsah players deserve to have a game designed just for them. that sense of inflated entitlement is totally ridiculous and oozes off many posters here, including the one I called out. "troll" is a terrible label used by defensive people with no substance on the internet who cannot take criticism. Labelling someone a troll is in itself trolling and petty name calling when you refuse to even refute points. just because you say something that is over-the-top doesn't mean you have missed the mark.

edit: I don't play brawl at home, I do play many competitive games though. None of which have communities with the restrictive mentality that smash players have. instead of adapting or evolving their game they immediately cry for restrictions. I would say this is the opposite of conservative, it's radical sensationalism in the face of adversity. there's no growth when you don't evne try and react to everything with "ban it" instead of "get better".

D

Deleted member

we're on a site dedicated to playing smash competitively. If you dislike the competitive mind set, why are you here?

WarranThad

Smash Ace
Huh? Are you serious Umbreon? I just said the... exact opposite. I love the competitive mindset, restrictive, player-imposed rulesets go counter to this though... Are you sure you're not the one attempting to rile up the other with non-arguments and deflection?

edit: I'm still not sure where you're coming from honestly, but if the fact that i said i don't play brawl at home suggested I haven't been playing brawl competitively than that's simply not true. I just merely don't own a wii, gamecube or gamecube controller and have not been interested enough in buying them. I am greatly interested in competitive gaming and do love smash bros for it's doubles play, I am much less fond of singles as of late for a number of reasons including this restrictive game-rule bending mentality the community continues to uphold in the face of anything that's even slightly strong (mechanically).

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
- DDD's downthrow infinite is banned. However, the chaingrab is still legal. The chaingrab is noticeably different from the infinite, as there is a dash between grabs.
So, umm. . . what do you do instead?

Dedede can chaingrab Pit. . . but not Samus? Why is Samus suddenly better off than half the cast now?

Oh, thanks for the Brinstar vid Asdioh. Perfect music btw.

Ankoku is right. There is no reason why anything "coming down to controller port" was necessary except simultaneous grabs. There's no reason why you couldn't have Bowser always win the Klawcide, no reason why you couldn't have Ganondorf always lose the Ganoncide, and certainly no reason why explosions striking characters in a grapple should be sensitive to port at all.

It just makes no $%&@ sense.
But ranting about that is off-topic, so. . .

[/post]

feardragon64

Smash Champion
we're on a site dedicated to playing smash competitively. If someone dislikes the competitive mind set, why are they here?
Huh? Are you serious Umbreon? I just said the... exact opposite. I love the competitive mindset, restrictive, player-imposed rulesets go counter to this though... Are you sure you're not the one attempting to rile up the other with non-arguments and deflection?

edit: I'm still not sure where you're coming from honestly, but if the fact that i said i don't play brawl at home suggested I haven't been playing brawl competitively than that's simply not true. I just merely don't own a wii, gamecube or gamecube controller and have not been interested enough in buying them. I am greatly interested in competitive gaming and do love smash bros for it's doubles play, I am much less fond of singles as of late for a number of reasons including this restrictive game-rule bending mentality the community continues to uphold in the face of anything that's even slightly strong (mechanically).
Fixed Umbreon's quote to your tastes even though I don't think it needed fixing...

Also to poster above ^
DDD has to dash as he said. It's no longer an infinite.

And there's a **** good reason for controller ports.
It's the same reason as tripping.
Sakurai hates us.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
So you're saying if i disagree with the majority, I should leave? Shouldn't I have my voice in shaping a game I still hold some interest in before that is taken away by a rulesset that is more and more apparently obviously just terrible? Montreal community has some of the coolest people I've met playing competitive games, I don't want to see them less to play vidja games simply because I can't enjoy the game as much because of bad, knee-jerk decision making.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This isn't even an official ruleset, or what, are the people in Montreal community suddenly gonna adopt this ruleset because it was posted?

kr3wman

Smash Master
This isn't even an official ruleset, or what, are the people in Montreal community suddenly gonna adopt this ruleset because it was posted?
So Thad now represents the whole of our community?

You guys are mean.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Seems good but why is Pictochat banned? Nothing seems too bad about it.
I know You died a little inside. Don't deny it.

So, umm. . . what do you do instead?

Dedede can chaingrab Pit. . . but not Samus? Why is Samus suddenly better off than half the cast now?
Ummmm, Dedede can still normal cg samus. I think you mean Luigi.

Ok ruleset, but it's a little restrictive. Also, you should really mention the Infinite cape glitch. It's implied that it's banned, but not actually stated.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
It feels like there's a big rift growing in the SBR... over the MK ban, and now this.

This makes me sad. Ah well, it'll get sorted out eventually somehow.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So Thad now represents the whole of our community?

You guys are mean.
I have no idea where I implied that. Thad said he liked the Montreal community and didn't want to see it less just because of a ruleset he doesn't like. I'm trying to make sense of why a ruleset Mow posted would have any effect on Thad's ability to see his community and have fun or whatever.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
Did I say they were? Nope, but if trends continue it might just be where the ruleset is going.

I am a minority in the mtl community as far as my opinions go since i'm an indierebel like that ;). I never pretended to represent mtl, for the record. They'll go with whatever is the official list and if that official list is influenced by this totally garbage, ridiculous list it will negatively affect my enjoyment of the game. Thus my interest. Why did i have to prove that again?'

edit: I mentioned the trend towards knee-jerk restriction in my previous post. this a mentality i find quite scrubbish and sad. is it clear how this negatively effect my enjoyment of the game? Is it clear how not liking the game my friends are playing as much would make me not want to attend such events as much but instead hang out with them in other environments, which although can be much better than playing a videogame isn't always what I look for? Jeez.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This is a ruleset posted by someone who lives in an area that typically has restrictive stage-lists. I'm totally confused as to how you made the connection "Mow posts his ideal ruleset" --> "official rules becomes this."

kr3wman

Smash Master
I have no idea where I implied that. Thad said he liked the Montreal community and didn't want to see it less just because of a ruleset he doesn't like. I'm trying to make sense of why a ruleset Mow posted would have any effect on Thad's ability to see his community and have fun or whatever.
I would have never followed this ruleset in my life.

I understand not wanting any factors other than character vs character skill and whatnot, but it completely destroyed the point learning to counterpick since now it's basically the same stage with different background animations. It works in Street Fighter, but I want to play on Norfair, and if I lose on Norfair I knew the opponent was better than me. If I lost on pictochat I knew the stage didn't beat me, my opponent did.

'Cept Greens Greens. That stage should baaaaaaaannnnned.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
And it is for that exact reason why I don't see why Thad's going on about this ruleset like everyone around him is suddenly going to use it and the entire smash community is dooming themselves or whatever.

kr3wman

Smash Master
He's just denouncing complete lack of logic in making this.

Basically, he's saying that,

If he wanted to play a mano y mano game, he would play Street Fighter or whatnot, because he knows SF does it better than Brawl at this sort of things.

But if he wants to play a game when you have to play and consider in account the stage, what may happen on it -Since it's not completely random like items- and take advantage of it, he will play smash.

But if you take that factor out of the game, the game becomes completely devoid of any interest and he will play SF instead of Brawl because there's nothing interesting and different to it.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
its not just this ruleset. it's mk ban debate, dedede infinite ban debate, it's wobbling from all the way back in melee.. Time and time again the smash community has shown it will ban **** before it even has a chance to break things. What more proof do I need? Wobbling was the perfect example with so much crying and whining after it had only won a handful of tournaments and was nowhere near game-breaking or even dominating (note: yes I know it wasn't banned everywhere, but big tourneys like pound3 iirc had it banned, for one). Fact is smash community will ban **** at the drop of the hat if it seems strong enough and easy enough to pull off (which is another thing that's completely ridiculous, why would difficulty in applying one of these skills really matter as to how powerful/the need to be restricted it is unless it is completely unreasoanbly difficult in so that only a computer would be able to perform it?) Just because bad players can do well with overpowered techniques doesn't mean that they should be restricted, that seems awfully scrubby to me and not the type of mentality I'd like for the community of any game I play.

I don't see why you need me to justify why I oppose this ruleset so badly though, my personal interest really doesn't matter very much as to the substance: that restriction to natural gameplay should be avoided whenever possible.

Top Bottom