• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Samus Design Issues That Need Resolving Video

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Out of curiosity, do you guys consider z-air trying to snap to ledges that aren't ledges a problem / character redesign issue (battlefield's platforms)? This creates dead zones in Samus' ranged arsenal that interfere heavily with her keep away game.
I think it's definitely a bit of an issue. Her Zair is a really valuable tool, so having random platforms affect it can cause some issues with her keep away game, as you put it.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Out of curiosity, do you guys consider z-air trying to snap to ledges that aren't ledges a problem / character redesign issue (battlefield's platforms)? This creates dead zones in Samus' ranged arsenal that interfere heavily with her keep away game.
Yes, I find that really annoying. Makes playing on stages like battlefield and dreamland even more frustrating than they should be. You can't grab the ledges of those platforms so I don't understand why the zair tries to snap to them.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
The fully charged shot should not clank with ANY other projectile. It's the only charge projectile that can't be charged while in the air, so to compensate for this it should not clank or lose to anything. Right now it clanks with duck hunt's gunman AND clay pigeon and pretty sure the can blocks it too. It also clanks with Bowser Jnr's mecha koopa, bombs from both Links, Lucas' PK fire, Villager's Lloid rocket, pretty much all of Pacman's projectiles and even Sheik's grenade. It actually flat out loses to Ness' PK Fire, Rob's Gyro and Olimar's yellow pikmin.

It should not clank or lose to ANY of those, considering it takes ages to charge AND can only be charged on the ground.

That's leaving aside the fact that the charge shot itself is her primary kill move and a third of the cast have a reflector or some other move that completely neutralises it. I believe a fully charged shot should break reflectors, or Samus should have the ability to reflect a reflected charged shot back again.
Eh, maybe not to reflect it. Like these reflectors could even stand a chance against her Charge Shot to begin with. ;) Maybe less lag on cool down. Much less than Mewtwo.

Last edited:

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
I'd like to request a video of both jab1 and sourspot ftilt being punishes by little mac's KO punch, if that's possible. It's the hardest punish I've seen.
That's stupid because OoS, he can jump cancel that KO Punch. He can easily hit you out of Jab 1.

And so right about those MOM melee grabs. She doesn't even use the Grappling Beam half the time. Grabs them and shoves energy down their throat. She should have kills throws, and not the kind that kill edge of the stage at 200%.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Sorry guys, I couldn't complete editing before my surgery... I tried...
If you have additional vids, clips or your own personal axe to grind in video format you can still submit them this weekend. I should be able to wrap it up early next week.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
If you have additional vids, clips or your own personal axe to grind in video format you can still submit them this weekend. I should be able to wrap it up early next week.
Don't worry about the vid, though we thank you for trying. Good luck on you surgery, DM!

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Dont worry about the videos! Health is first and foremost. Goodluck with surgery and rest easy man.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
DungeonMaster wakes up from the surgery to see a figure standing over him.
His vision is blurry at first, but it soon becomes clear the man standing over him is... Masahiro Sakurai, dressed in a Zero Suit.
DM tries to speak but Sakurai holds a finger to his lips and shushes him.
"I'm afraid you cannot be allowed to make that video DM. I'm sure you understand."
Sakurai reaches down to pull out the oxygen tube. DM struggles to sit up and stop him.
"What's the matter DM... feeling a bit... laggy?" Sakurai snickers.
As DM's vision starts to fade to black, the last thing he sees as Zero Suit Sakurai leaves the room, is a note left on his bedside table.
The title reads 'Ike Buffs 1.11'.

(GL with the surgery)

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Don't sweat it, man. I wish you the best with your surgery, and a speedy recovery!

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
Samus had surgery and out came great results! You will be za same.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks guys!
Surgery went well, it's the recovery that's insanely painful (and lengthy). The irony of the situation is that I will be online a LOT compared to normal albeit not in my right mind due to painkillers...
Sakurai did not visit my bedside, he missed his chance, charge shot locked in.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Thanks guys!
Surgery went well, it's the recovery that's insanely painful (and lengthy). The irony of the situation is that I will be online a LOT compared to normal albeit not in my right mind due to painkillers...
Sakurai did not visit my bedside, he missed his chance, charge shot locked in.
Glad to hear it man! (not the pain part)
Happy hunting!

Phrygisian

Smash Rookie
NNID
kelsilver9
3DS FC
4081-6733-0493
Sorry if its been pointed out already.
But has anyone noticed how Samus's Down B bombs make her jump higher in slow speeds during training, thus allowing her to attack after the jump, but the jump is low and useless as heck in the otherwise normal speed? Surely a glitch. I'd love it if they kept her higher morph ball bomb jump.. It could make the move more viable, although situational.
I haven't seen videos of this "glitch" either so someone should try it out and tell me I'm not crazy.

Edit: tried it in faster speed as well and she also jumps higher. Wtf.

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Hope your recovery is going well, @ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster !
I couldn't pull out any of those things myself while trying in training mode, so I just kind of gave up....
But then yesterday I faced a Samus in For Glory.... it was a fight filled with projectiles and lag :p (as always), but I found at least two of the Samus' problems in there.... so, if you didn't finish the video yet and would like some more footage:
First, at 0:22, a fully charged shot gets blocked by a freaking Dash Attack....
And then, at 1:54, just more Jab 1 jank, if you still want footage of that.
Also, @ Take 5 Take 5 put another small Samus jank in his last video, so check it out if you haven't yet.... first, because the video is awesome, second, because of the jank :p

Grambles

Smash Cadet
To be fair, that's gotta be one of the worst Samus' on For Glory.

Sad I missed this. I have at least 10 or more replays of characters at kill percent gingerly falling out of up-smash to submit.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
To be fair, that's gotta be one of the worst Samus' on For Glory.

Sad I missed this. I have at least 10 or more replays of characters at kill percent gingerly falling out of up-smash to submit.
I don't know, I can't put up many stellar matches with my connection messing up half my inputs, so I can't really assume my connection is not messing up the other player's inputs too....
Anyway, I uploaded that just for those two little moments I mentioned :p

Last edited:

Take 5

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the shoutout! :bee:

Here's the ZSS montage (hurtbox jank on Samus' up B happens at 3:00):

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks @ Take 5 Take 5 I definitely will steal that example of absurdly extended hurtbox from up-B (you get credit in vid of course). That's the best to-date.
@ Grambles Grambles there still is time to submit, we have some nice falling-out-of-upsmash examples already but if you have something that looks particularly absurd/extreme please upload/send me.
@ Metallinatus Metallinatus thanks, except I don't think the dash attack cancelled your CS, it's the edge of the stage absorbing it. :p

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
DungeonMaster wakes up from the surgery to see a figure standing over him.
His vision is blurry at first, but it soon becomes clear the man standing over him is... Masahiro Sakurai, dressed in a Zero Suit.
DM tries to speak but Sakurai holds a finger to his lips and shushes him.
"I'm afraid you cannot be allowed to make that video DM. I'm sure you understand."
Sakurai reaches down to pull out the oxygen tube. DM struggles to sit up and stop him.
"What's the matter DM... feeling a bit... laggy?" Sakurai snickers.
As DM's vision starts to fade to black, the last thing he sees as Zero Suit Sakurai leaves the room, is a note left on his bedside table.
The title reads 'Ike Buffs 1.11'.

(GL with the surgery)
lol

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the shoutout! :bee:

Here's the ZSS montage (hurtbox jank on Samus' up B happens at 3:00):

This is actually a Snap Back as described by the guys at One Smash. ZSS's down air hits below the stage and that was a particularly thin stage. This same situation would have happened to a few other character's up-b's.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
We know why it happened but the Dair was not only no where near but even facing the direction samus was in, and somehow her hurtbox extended far enough to get hit

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
The D-air problem should be for Falcon, not Samus.

Have you guys vids of peeps falling out after 1 F-air hit?
Or what about when you see Jab 1 animation come out and you still get grabbed?

Can I submit a vid part of where my Side Smash hit Mac's Up Tilt (Or the other way around...) I hit Mac's Up Tilt with my Side Smash and then I get that stupid attack lag where he was unaffected and did another Up Tilt to hit me. That was so garbage. Side Smash is more powerful than Up Tilt.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ S samusedaway Yes the ZSS hitbox is ridiculously extended and disjointed. That doesn't mean Samus should have a ridiculously extended hurtbox. They are two different problems.

@ MOM Samus MOM Samus I'm entering into final editing, but if you have a particularly egregious example it will make it in, please post. Post regardless to vent. :p

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
@ S samusedaway Yes the ZSS hitbox is ridiculously extended and disjointed. That doesn't mean Samus should have a ridiculously extended hurtbox. They are two different problems.

@ MOM Samus MOM Samus I'm entering into final editing, but if you have a particularly egregious example it will make it in, please post. Post regardless to vent. :p
Yeah, posting regardless. This video at 1:28. Watch the whole thing for a VERY savage 0-death revenge KO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaJtZvl4v9c

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ MOM Samus MOM Samus Looking at it in detail, I think it's just normal priority rules. The sour-spot clanking with the up-tilt. Because he clanked with the lighter move, he has frame advantage on you. It's irritating, but can happen with any move and not a problem per-se, just the game. Very nice revenge kill!

Darkmanticorex2

Smash Rookie
DM, I sent you a replay of a somewhat sloppy game I had against a fox, it was too long to post to YouTube.

4 "Samus issues" in here.

Fox's dair goes through usmash.
Zair canceling on ungrabable ledges
Fox's nair goes through screw attack.
Super missile connecting with fox's side b and Samus still getting hit.

Not sure if you can use any of those examples, but thought I'd send it

Last edited:

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
@ MOM Samus MOM Samus Looking at it in detail, I think it's just normal priority rules. The sour-spot clanking with the up-tilt. Because he clanked with the lighter move, he has frame advantage on you. It's irritating, but can happen with any move and not a problem per-se, just the game. Very nice revenge kill!
Thanks. I still needed to vent that. That bugged the hell out of me because why should a weaker move cancel out a stronger move?

I remember ZSS's Jab 1 stopping a Bullet Bill. I think stuff like that needs to go.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I was playing some friendlies with a Jigglypuff player at GU, and my charge shot got absorbed by a f-air. Unbelievable.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ -_ellipsis_- -_ellipsis_- yeah I know the grab whiff animation is irritating as all hell. It falls into the "know your range, know your character category" so it's in there but not as a primary problem.
@ Serris Serris You must have shot the puff with a lot of CS to get it that stale. :p There are actually several moves with enough raw damage to clank out CS not even stale, I suspect no mercy from the dev team on that account since that is the game working as intended.

I spent literally all day yesterday video editing to make sure it's polished. There were a lot of clips...should be up tonight or tomorrow.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
@ -_ellipsis_- -_ellipsis_- yeah I know the grab whiff animation is irritating as all hell. It falls into the "know your range, know your character category" so it's in there but not as a primary problem.
@ Serris Serris You must have shot the puff with a lot of CS to get it that stale. :p There are actually several moves with enough raw damage to clank out CS not even stale, I suspect no mercy from the dev team on that account since that is the game working as intended.

I spent literally all day yesterday video editing to make sure it's polished. There were a lot of clips...should be up tonight or tomorrow.
Yeah, but projectiles don't get rage added to them. And growing or shrinking has no damage increases on projectiles. Projectiles shouldn't stale.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Last steps... Polling the people: Funny text edit or serious edit?
I'm torn and can't decide. Funny edit is daffy duck and looney tunes stuff. Serious edit is green text super-metroid text scrolling on background with samus intro breathing.
Both have merits, one highlights how ridiculous this stuff can be, the other comes off very technical and just a little pissed off that our serious character is made ridiculous.

What do you think will have a better chance at getting attention?

Opinions please.

Last edited:

Darkmanticorex2

Smash Rookie
A little bit of both always catches my attention more. Clever sarcasm is usually the best way to go.

Picking between the two I'd go serious.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
My additional worry is humour will not translate well to Japanese. Serious though, is just not as fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom