• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Samus Design Issues That Need Resolving Video

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Go anime humor instead then. Will translate better haha. Serious note maybe find a medium of Humor/Serious. If Looney Tunes is to far maybe just be sarcastic?

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
@ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster I'd take the informative/unbiased route. Something everyone can understand. So serious, but not in a serious manner, if that makes any sense.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Serious commentary, please. Like you said before, we don't want the Japanese to take this as an offense. Plus, this is a serious subject (as far as balance in children's games go). We should present it with some of that tone if we want them to take Samus' incompetency as serious as we do.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
@ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster I'd take the informative/unbiased route. Something everyone can understand. So serious, but not in a serious manner, if that makes any sense.
I stress the "informative/unbiased route." We need our movement to be supported by facts and we need that to be clear to others. Ideology and opinions are never as persuasive as empirical data.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
Agreed with the "serious" consensus. As much fun as a silly video might be, we want the best chances for our character to get buffed

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Ok got it, serious/documentary style seems to be the winner. I was initially leaning towards humorous, it was only on my first pass through that I felt it might not be appropriate in the end.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
Humor? What are we trying to do? Present Samus as a joke (I get that she kinda is a joke in this game, but still). If we took that route, we'd just be sending a video for the devs to laugh at. Do we want people laughing at Samus, or do we want them to look at her as serious as we do? We have to come off in the proper way.

Every nation has its own idea on humor. What we find funny may be offensive to them...or they might not even get it. Stick to what we know will work. This humor/serious topic really can impact whether or not Lord Aran gets the desirable changes needed. But everyone knows seriousness. There's no mistaking it.

Last edited:

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
I'm excited to know efforts are being made to showcase Samus's lack of show. I'll enjoy every bit of it because I already know how depressing it is to use Samus. ;)

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Humor? What are we trying to do? Present Samus as a joke (I get that she kinda is a joke in this game, but still). If we took that route, we'd just be sending a video for the devs to laugh at. Do we want people laughing at Samus, or do we want them to look at her as serious as we do? We have to come off in the proper way.

Every nation has its own idea on humor. What we find funny may be offensive to them...or they might not even get it. Stick to what we know will work. This humor/serious topic really can impact whether or not Lord Aran gets the desirable changes needed. But everyone knows seriousness. There's no mistaking it.
I second this notion. What we really want to communicate to the dev team is that Samus is underdeveloped and needs fixing. We need to come across as respectful but not entitled. At the same time, we are trying to get the popularity to have this snowball. So keep those both in mind.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
I would actually love a humorous version. It's all something we've come across with, so why not laugh at it? I just don't think it would be the more effective way if we're looking to optimize our chances. A little bit of both (more on the serious side) is probably the best chance. Like 85-15.

Yes, it'd be too entitled to sound overly sure. Chances would go down.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Balance Patch incoming: 30. September.
Looks like it... they are fast... This video will likely not have an impact, even if the development cycles were a bit longer, it's a desperate shot in the dark.
But I'll take that shot.

I'm adding music presently. Metroid music.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Looks like it... they are fast... This video will likely not have an impact, even if the development cycles were a bit longer, it's a desperate shot in the dark.
But I'll take that shot.

I'm adding music presently. Metroid music.[/quote,]

Think of it this way, If this patch does nothing to Samus, the video will still be valid.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
Plz don't touch ZSS (or at least return her to the way she was <3), and buff Samus tremendously.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
Oh, thank you!!! This is what "hope" feels like!
And everyone else get desirable changes whilst Samus gets one frame reduction on pivot grab. I'm calling something insignificant and minor.

Or perhaps what they have in store is not quite ready. The patch after this patch is what we're looking for.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Just remember the other video of "Everything wrong" had like 30k views....so maybe it got its way to the devs....one can only hope.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Video is live!
If I missed someone who contributed in the credits, I'm sorry, this was a ***** to stitch together. Even if your clip didn't make it in final cut, I can add you in the comments section. I'm done editing video for a good little while...

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Song from 7:53 pleaaaaaaaaase. That was an amazing Metroid song *.*

I also twitted the video to Nintendo of America, and it was pretty good :p

Last edited:

Darkmanticorex2

Smash Rookie
Oh my god you used the rhundas boss theme! Best Metroid song ever hahahah! Well done!

I hope this gets the attention it deserves, you did a great job with this DM

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks guys, and thank you one and all once again for submitting video to make it possible.
Sorry to E.lopez, I did screw up with credits... I double checked too... sigh...

Hopefully with this video, there is less gripping on the boards, the problems are stated in the clear. 2k views overnight, not that bad!

We can now get back to the serious business of making cool combo videos with rundas battle themes and working with what we've got. ;)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I just saw the vid. It is missing several things like the obscene vulnerability after bombs, bombs being on time, physical attacks like Ness's nair cancelling out fully charge shot....etc But overall, this video is a PHENOMENAL example of how bad Samus (and smash 4) is.

Great work, man!!

Edit: just for kicks, read the last tip. Literally telling you to not use a move that she has ;(
image.jpg

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks @ Xyro77 Xyro77 your endorsement does mean something to me.

I couldn't cover absolutely all problems, I tried to cap at 10 min and it bled into nearly 12 because I just couldn't fit everything in there without walls of text.
You can't just say "bombs are crap" or "jab is crap" because Sakurai might merely dismiss it "oh, these idiots haven't discovered that bombs can kill out of shield break and that jab combos to f-smash".
It would be an involved argument. So I had to pick my fights to as clear cut points as I could and stick to broader points.
It's pretty hard to scream "balance" when the b-air leg extending animation doesn't even show up on the screen and Samus is just simply hit by invisible zelda up-smash from a mile away.

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
Looks great DungeonMaster! Really like the straight to the point sort of feel. I'm assuming that this should be shared around a bit to get some more views?

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Looks great DungeonMaster! Really like the straight to the point sort of feel. I'm assuming that this should be shared around a bit to get some more views?
I posted it on my FB and GFAQS this àm

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Video is live!
If I missed someone who contributed in the credits, I'm sorry, this was a ***** to stitch together. Even if your clip didn't make it in final cut, I can add you in the comments section. I'm done editing video for a good little while...

Aaaand, Tweeted! Hope this really gets out there. Great work on the video! I still love Samus no matter what, but there's no denying that she has a lot of issues that make no sense. Hopefully the patch coming on the 30th does something for her!

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Great job with the video overall, but I need ask, why did you decide to put the green text explaining stuff right at the top? It actually makes it very hard to read if you're not keeping up with the scrolling.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
Great job with the video overall, but I need ask, why did you decide to put the green text explaining stuff right at the top? It actually makes it very hard to read if you're not keeping up with the scrolling.
It makes it look like Super Metroid.

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
I have never seen the pre patch Samus videos. I almost ****ing teared up, and that's no joke. I will never understand why they did this to her. Nor will I ever really forgive it, but, they can change and make Samus the way she way truly meant to be played, and they can honor the character.

Thank you for all the hard work put into making this video guys, you have no idea just how appreciative I am. I'm trying to spread this out as much as I possibly can. I'm proud of you guys, props.

Last edited:

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
I have never seen the pre patch Samus videos. I almost ****ing teared up, and that's no joke. I will never understand why they did this to her. Nor will I ever really forgive it, but, they can change and make Samus the way she way truly meant to be played, and they can honor the character.

Thank you for all the hard work put into making this video guys, you have no idea just how appreciative I am. I'm trying to spread this out as much as I possibly can. I'm proud of you guys, props.
A lot of characters were much stronger and better than they are now in the demos. And that actually makes me wonder if Samus was always beneath them. ZeRo's the reason ZS was nerfed during pre-release.

It's still not enough information because no one chose Samus in the Invitational.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Does Sakurai have a twitter? Does anyone on the dev team have one? If so, why aren't we sending this video en masse to them?
Not even a Samus main here, but when I saw that video I cringed. That's so unfair, no other character has to put up with this.
We need to be getting this video to the people who can make a difference.
In fact, I will make a Twitter account just to do so.

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
It makes it look like Super Metroid.
Yes I get what he was going for...however, it actually makes it difficult to read, and if you want Nintendo to actually pay attention to this, they need to be able to read it without difficulty. Aside from the fact that the text in Super Metroid's intro didn't scroll at all, the text scrolls off the top of the screen too quickly in places, only displaying one line of text at a time before it is scrolled off (the bottom of the line can be seen but it's not readable).

The text is important, it needs to be readable without any difficulty. I thought there was something wrong with the imbedded video so I tried it full screen on youtube and it did the same thing.

Like I said, great work with the video overall, but man that scrolling text needs to be fixed.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks once again guys, closing in on 4.5 k with some fairly high profile tweets. I still think it needs Japanese translation to hit home and I have no takers on translating it.
@ VPTurnip VPTurnip I think they posted Sakurai's twitter on the main page? I wouldn't tweet his prize acceptance with this video, a less harsh opportunity would be better or else charge shot might be increased to 18 frames. :p

Great job with the video overall, but I need ask, why did you decide to put the green text explaining stuff right at the top?
Yeah so as @ MOM Samus MOM Samus pointed out it's to be super-metroid-ish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAXTRZgmleY
The problem with that text is it's IMPOSSIBLE to replicate. I literally spent all of this past Monday trying to do it.
Once I finally found a way to get scrolling text at all, I could simply overlay over the images because as a game Smash is very colorful. So the green wouldn't work out, I would have to keep changing colours if I wanted running commentary.
In the end, I had to make the decision to have text in a bar at the top or bottom. To keep the font large enough to read it had to be a single line. Yeah, it's not perfect, I realize.
Aliens / metroid is always about technology not being perfect either, with grainy screen views and things breaking down and so forth so I just ran with what was workable and expedient rather than fine tune.

Completely unrelated but in my quest for scrolling transparent background overlay script (forget google...) I randomly found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_VnoLyrfdY
Curious that...

Last edited:
Top Bottom