• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Commentators at EVO 2013

Revven

FrankerZ
I'd assume how they're going to pick is by reviewing the past tournaments/matches the commentators commentated?

And I guess you gave a list of suggestions already, amirite?

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I'd assume how they're going to pick is by reviewing the past tournaments/matches the commentators commentated?

And I guess you gave a list of suggestions already, amirite?
Probably. I didn't give a list of suggestions, I just pointed to this thread.

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
Wobbles and Wife really gives us a complete idea of what's happening.

I think the only person who could team better with Wife than Wobbles is husband. Plus Wobbles it's gonna be very busy Wobbling all day long :D

clowsui

Smash Legend
Thinking about the FGC/Smash commentator duo, I think that Pool Play would be better suited for this setup. Someone like Juicebox would be perfect for this I think. UltraChen are gonna be worn out on both days because they're gonna be commentating at least one if not two Capcom days per day during the finals (not necessarily both of them but just one of them), and it's not fair just to rely on them as a resource. We have to have someone open to the idea of Smash as a fighter though which is why I mentioned Juicebox, who used to play Melee iirc and respects it as a game according to Dazwa.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Thinking about the FGC/Smash commentator duo, I think that Pool Play would be better suited for this setup. Someone like Juicebox would be perfect for this I think. UltraChen are gonna be worn out on both days because they're gonna be commentating at least one if not two Capcom days per day during the finals (not necessarily both of them but just one of them), and it's not fair just to rely on them as a resource. We have to have someone open to the idea of Smash as a fighter though which is why I mentioned Juicebox, who used to play Melee iirc and respects it as a game according to Dazwa.
Yeah, Juicebox did play Melee in the past.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Okay sweet.

Another reason why I love juicebox is because he's a really clever and vibrant commentator. He knows a LOOOOOOT about any game he plays, asks the right questions, and has a great personality and presence on the mic. He's also a very practiced commentator - I remember when KoF was on the MLG circuit he would stream him practicing commentary, leaving gaps for other commentators as he was practicing, self-critiquing and writing down notes along the way. Fantastic stuff; I think he's honestly one of the most overlooked commentators relative to his talent (theanswer too but that's another story lol).

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/Juicebox_FGC/status/322017014271074304

Mr. Wizard, if you're reading...^___^

also I'm sure to come back to this later. when evo2k gets closer, i'mma put this out there
"Smashers, show your support for @Juicebox_FGC on #evo2k #ssbm commentary with the following hashtag: #SEIYAAAA"

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
Whoever's shouting in the background of wombo combo should just be permanently commentating. Not as the main commentators, but just there to shout and hype everyone up haha.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It looks like Wobbles+Prog seem to be the most requested commentators and for good reason. Either or both of them would do a great job representing the community.

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
i want to commentate haha
choknater you actually have great commentary
(based on the 1 match I have actually seen you commentate lol)

other than that ... def. def. wobbles. wobbles' jokes can be corny, but they can also be really intelligent. I have never heard more intelligent commentary than that from wobbles.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Well, they're definitely in their own tier... and that's not necessarily a good thing.

Subrava

Smash Cadet
Did nobody else think that Crimson Blur had absolutely spectacular commentary for KoC2? He was hype, informative, and articulate. I think Blur and Prog or Blur and Mango (Drunk) would be good commentating teams.

Snu?

Smash Rookie
Wobbles is a great solo commentator (and an amazing so-Po as well), while he doesn't seem to compliment co-commentators. Prog, D1, Dogy and Wife are all great choices for co-commentators. Dogy just needs to ease up on being so assertive sometimes. I've noticed a few times at the past few Apexs he usually gets too wrapped up in a matchup he remembers seeing a lot back when he played, especially when Doc is in the mix.

I understand your love for Doc, Dogy. I'm a fellow Doc main as well. We are a proud people. However, you never hear Prog or D1 talk about their mains in every time they see them on stream. You just gotta ease up on that dude, then you're arguably one of the best Melee commentators around.

I'd also be okay with Waffles doing some commentary for teams. Teams is usually pretty boring and Waffles livens it up. He's a little too much for my taste when it comes to singles matches though. I like a healthy balance of sensory input ;)

EDIT
Forgot about Mango and Lovage! But along with Wobbles possibly, I would think that they'd rather compete. But if they can do both, then go for it.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I chiefly support Wife if it's viable

Otherwise, Wobles/Prog/D1

I'm not opposed to someone more 'hype" like HMW as long as it's balanced with someone more informative, like the ones mentioned above

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I chiefly support Wife if it's viable

Otherwise, Wobles/Prog/D1

I'm not opposed to someone more 'hype" like HMW as long as it's balanced with someone more informative, like the ones mentioned above
This is exactly what I think should happen/Yesx50

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Not sure how much this thread is going to influence Mr. Wizard's choices for Evo commentators but based on the criteria that this is going to be a professional, global event I would probably suggest some pairing (or even let a few of them solo commentate at times) of the following:

Wobbles
Wife
Prog (As long as he asks "Is this what you wanted from Evo? And doesn't lose his voice.)
D1
Lovage
Crimson Blur (I also liked his commentary in KoC2)
Mattdotzeb (I thought he and Wobbles were a good pairing at Big House 2)
Strong Bad
Mango (He's actually, surprisingly good.)

Also commentators I would love to have at Evo but probably wouldn't be the best choices based on the criteria Mr. Wizard posted:

DendyPretendy
HMW
Phil
Drunk Mango ("Ken sucks but Scar blows right back" Is one of the greatest lines of commentary ever.)
Drunk Darrell (At a bwar!)
Coontail and Keitaro (They're brawl but my god so much hype generated by them during Apex GF and LF. They helped make brawl exciting... let that sink in)

Hell, if we can get the 7 of them to commentate during Grand Finals my life will probably be complete. Extreme, hype overload. If nothing else it would be hilarious. But yeah, Melee needs to look professional at this so those seven probably aren't the best way to go.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Obviously we have a lot of top tier commentators listed already in this thread, so I just wanna throw in some support for Scar and MattDotZeb. Both are underrated commentators that could hold their own at EVO if necessary.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
scar definitely has an amazing voice for commentary.

i want to commentate LOL, but if i were to ever vouch for another person, it would be scar. he reminds me of nick "tasteless" plott of starcraft fame. funny dude, very personable, very prolific, very hype, lots of game knowledge

Sedda

Smash Champion
Just throwing this out there. As someone who doesn't actually play the game, Dogy's commentary has always been very entertaining. I understand why some people might not like him or whatever, but his commentary is always well paced, accurate, and he throws puns in there for some good laughs.
If there's ever a situation where there can only be one commentator for whatever reason, it's either him or Wobbles.

Wobbles-Prog or Dogy-Prog though.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
I would show support for Dogy as a commentator if he actually still enjoys it and likes the smash community to some extent. I'd rather not have a commentator there who's doing so just because of some sort of social obligation. I think he does a good job being both entertaining and informative but I always wonder if he actually wants to be there since he seems incredibly jaded at times. However, I'm not one to to talk since I don't know the details of the situation from any angle; I can only go off of what I've seen around the internet and on streams.

So a yes for Dogy from me if he actually wants to keep on doing this.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
oh you cant have an international tournament without dogy
and just bring every commentator under one roof just for one weekend and it will be the greatest smash event
GGs mango

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
I actually like to listen to Dogy's commentary a lot and if he's still up for it, then I'm all for him. I basically love every commentator listed except for HugS. He was ****-riding Mango pretty hard during KoC1.

Top Bottom