• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMING SOON...TO A THEATRE NEAR YOu

stingers

Smash Obsessed
KNOWN TO HIS ENEMIES ONLY AS "THE ZIMMERMAN FROM CINNAMANSON"

AN ANGRY MAN, BLOODTHIRSTY FOR REVENGE

HIS PARTNERS IN CRIME, ANGEL and the BURRITO

ON AN EPIC QUEST TO RID THE WORLD OF THE FASHIONABLY CHALLENGED JONATHAN GAY*****

FILLED WITH SHOCKING TWISTS AND TURNS

AND A LOVE TRIANGLE TOUCHING ENOUGH TO MAKE GROWN MEN WEEP AND A WOMAN'S LOINS QUIVER

NOT EVEN ISAI KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT

CATFISH PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS: POUND V

Purple

Hi guys!
They goin in?

They goin in.

This is a pound V movie discussion thread.

Just make sure you're allowed to post those pics :|

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
So I just wanna get this off my chest, being that I'm a little late on the uptake. I will keep this clean.

I have somewhat of a temperament. If someone owed me a large sum of money with no intent of paying me back; I would be very mad. I cannot make any promises as to what I would do, but this is how I feel.

I think that those in debt to plank, who do not take legal action, are doing a disservice to this community, society, our country, etc. The public DESERVES to be warned about people that do stuff like this. Scaring plank into paying you, if successful, does not accomplish this(taking someone to court and newspapers publishing the conviction, does)... not to mention that's a horrible idea to begin with.

So now we move to everyone's favorite term to throw around, 'small claims court'. Have any of these peeps ever been though? I have. In fact, I am currently WINNING(insert charlie sheen voice) a case. I have no problem bending people over and delivering the long **** of the law. I respect and value our free market economy, or what's left of it, way too much to do otherwise. If I hadn't taken this mechanic to court, when looking at the bigger picture all I would be doing is encouraging him to rip off someone else for $1,500. Which proposes the question: what's the primary problem here... *******es that try to rip people off, or rational people with a choice just letting it go / disregarding how it effects us all?

In regard to people saying that the case won't go anywhere--they are misinformed. As in.. a dozen peeps all wanting the money they earned + a copy of plank's post, should do the trick in any state. The legal system wasn't made so that plank can lie to everyone(so much of that post was just bs, and the fact that anyone would take the rest of his post seriously is laughable under the circumstance), confess to ripping everyone off, then run away / avoid the ugly truth. Any leverage plank could have had in court was lost with that initial post.

So yeah, in short: I support doing the right thing, although I don't expect everyone to do so. $$ is only part of it. Sorry for the hijack, stingers. I hadn't read any posts yet that had my views on this, so I felt compelled to do so... this seemed like an ok spot.

Purple

Hi guys!
I'm pretty certain a lot of people in the smash community will turn tail and back out; apparently being under 18 has something to do with it :|.

I think a lot of people had too much publicized angry over it, and should've just stayed quiet and gone along with their law suits in the dark.

But then again we wouldn't have the drama and humor we have now.

I remember Dark.Pch saying something about Plank paying for his hotel room there, I'm pretty certain I can find that post too; Plank not having enough money seems in the grand scale of things a far stretch.

Pi

Smash Hero
So I just wanna get this off my chest, being that I'm a little late on the uptake. I will keep this clean.

I have somewhat of a temperament. If someone owed me a large sum of money with no intent of paying me back; I would be very mad. I cannot make any promises as to what I would do, but this is how I feel.

I think that those in debt to plank, who do not take legal action, are doing a disservice to this community, society, our country, etc. The public DESERVES to be warned about people that do stuff like this. Scaring plank into paying you, if successful, does not accomplish this(taking someone to court and newspapers publishing the conviction, does)... not to mention that's a horrible idea to begin with.

So now we move to everyone's favorite term to throw around, 'small claims court'. Have any of these peeps ever been though? I have. In fact, I am currently WINNING(insert charlie sheen voice) a case. I have no problem bending people over and delivering the long **** of the law. I respect and value our free market economy, or what's left of it, way too much to do otherwise. If I hadn't taken this mechanic to court, when looking at the bigger picture all I would be doing is encouraging him to rip off someone else for $1,500. Which proposes the question: what's the primary problem here... *******es that try to rip people off, or rational people with a choice just letting it go / disregarding how it effects us all?

In regard to people saying that the case won't go anywhere--they are misinformed. As in.. a dozen peeps all wanting the money they earned + a copy of plank's post, should do the trick in any state. The legal system wasn't made so that plank can lie to everyone(so much of that post was just bs, and the fact that anyone would take the rest of his post seriously is laughable under the circumstance), confess to ripping everyone off, then run away / avoid the ugly truth. Any leverage plank could have had in court was lost with that initial post.

So yeah, in short: I support doing the right thing, although I don't expect everyone to do so. $$ is only part of it. Sorry for the hijack, stingers. I hadn't read any posts yet that had my views on this, so I felt compelled to do so... this seemed like an ok spot.
So basically him coming out and informing people of the situation should now be used against him. Right.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
^ its what insurance companies do when they call you for claims lol

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
So basically him coming out and informing people of the situation should now be used against him. Right.
Yes, considering what the situation is: It was plank's debt due to his own error, or miscalculation(or whatever actually happened). It was not the player's debt, so plank in essence profited the entire prize pool leaving everyone else with none. So of course, yes it should be used against him. Welcome to the real world: good decision making is rewarded, bad decision making is not.. unless you're plank? :glare:

Pi

Smash Hero
Yes, considering what the situation is: It was plank's debt due to his own error, or miscalculation(or whatever actually happened). It was not the player's debt, so plank in essence profited the entire prize pool leaving everyone else with none. So of course, yes it should be used against him. Welcome to the real world: good decision making is rewarded, bad decision making is not.. unless you're plank? :glare:
>counting on money from an underground hosted tournament without signing any legally binding contract

good decision?

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
????

Verbal contracts are binding. Trading money for the services plank provided at pound is an agreement/contract. Since plank already stated that there was supposed to be prize payouts, they would fall under the 'services' in which everyone paid for, but no one received.

Pi

Smash Hero
????

Verbal contracts are binding. Trading money for the services plank provided at pound is an agreement/contract. Since plank already stated that there was supposed to be prize payouts, they would fall under the 'services' in which everyone paid for, but no one received.
Plank provided the services. The tournament was hosted and ran as intended.
And iirc there was no mention how the money would be allocated/distributed to the winners, it was all just 'understood' or 'assumed' that it would be.

I don't think prize money falls under the 'service' category. I really don't think a case is going to hold up when it was never agreed upon how the money was going to be distributed. In planks post he says that he would not be able to pay the winners because that money had to go to pay the hotel/venue costs. If you look at it from the point of view that all the funds gathered from the players attending the event would be distributed first to pay off the venue, and then to pay off the winners, there simply was not adequate funds to pay the winners.

If you can find a document/post stating that the 'entry fee' that everyone paid must solely be used to pay the winners of the event then I could see it having some ground, but I do not believe one exists.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, let's rip the community apart. That sounds like a swell idea. Nearly 9 years and one major tourny malfunction and everyone suddenly flips their ****.

This would NOT pass in any court, just in case you were wondering. Honestly, the best course of action is to just move on. Yes, it sucks. Yes, entrance fees should be refunded. But you're not going to get much beyond that.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Hey guys, let's rip the community apart. That sounds like a swell idea. Nearly 9 years and one major tourny malfunction and everyone suddenly flips their ****.

This would NOT pass in any court, just in case you were wondering. Honestly, the best course of action is to just move on. Yes, it sucks. Yes, entrance fees should be refunded. But you're not going to get much beyond that.
lmao aight hey guys dad killed mom but let's not rip our family apart

let's help him hide mom's body because we can't have dad going to jail for ****ing up and killing mom

i mean it's his first SERIOUS mistake so we can easily just forget about it

plus remember all the cool things he did in the past for us? those are totally relevant right now!

Purple

Hi guys!
Actually that's a pri good analogy.

Are you guys really going to let bad tournament organizers **** up your money time and time again?

Good shiz guys.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman

Are you guys really going to let bad tournament organizers **** up your money time and time again?

Good shiz guys.
You say this as if this happens often at big tournies... it doesn't.

Here's the deal. So you guys decide to take some sort of retribution on Plank. Alright, cool. But what then? He sure as hell isn't going to be hosting another tourny, so what about the competitive scene of that area? What if nobody else steps up? (Which is probably the case seeing as that isn't easy to do).

Then the community falls apart for that area. Sure it will stick around, but it won't be the same.

Last I checked, you didn't start playing this game because you wanted to win money. You played because it was fun. Hell, we all play because it's fun. And it's really ****ty what happened but it DID happen and no, there is absolutely nothing that any of you can do about it. Nothing. It was an underground tournament with prize money on the line and no written, binding contracts. There is no feasible case that can be taken to court.

So the smash community has two options. They can either ***** and moan and cripple the community as a whole, or they can grow up, accept that sometimes things don't go the way they want them to, and keep playing.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
If I'm to understand this right . . .

Something about money has happened here.

But that's all I've gathered.

Purple

Hi guys!

Here's the deal. So you guys decide to take some sort of retribution on Plank. Alright, cool. But what then? He sure as hell isn't going to be hosting another tourny, so what about the competitive scene of that area? What if nobody else steps up? (Which is probably the case seeing as that isn't easy to do).
If the smash community didn't **** on people who hosted tournaments for them (as the community I'm associated with *GA* straight pooped on final round) we wouldn't have to bend over and take bull**** from bull**** TOs.

It happens TOO much, that's the problem. It shouldn't be happening at all, and the fact that it happened and his response was completely irresponsible shows that we have our tournament hosting in the wrong hands.

Then the community falls apart for that area. Sure it will stick around, but it won't be the same.
Dude, there's tournaments everywhere, why in the world

Last I checked, you didn't start playing this game because you wanted to win money. You played because it was fun. Hell, we all play because it's fun.
That's great and all, but while we play the game for fun, we play in TOURNAMENTS for MONEY.

And it's really ****ty what happened but it DID happen and no, there is absolutely nothing that any of you can do about it. Nothing. It was an underground tournament with prize money on the line and no written, binding contracts. There is no feasible case that can be taken to court.
Break his kneecaps. But really, the reason for some sort of revenge being taken isn't to get some sort of outcome out of it, but to show people who try to **** around and screw with other people's money that there IS a punishment to it.

So the smash community has two options. They can either ***** and moan and cripple the community as a whole, or they can grow up, accept that sometimes things don't go the way they want them to, and keep playing.
I like how you're implying *****ing and moaning is breaking the community apart. It's not, we're all COMING TOGETHER to show that what he did was bull****.

Tell you what Comrade, if I ever host a tournament, I'll wait until the finals end and I'll straight walk of the venue with all of the pot money and say I needed it to pay for my car insurance that month; and since you guys just want to have a good time and get along I'll be home free :awesome:

Purple

Hi guys!
You really didn't make a point lol. You just said a bunch of BS. How is talking about this tournament breaking the community apart? **** didn't happen when CoT4 hit the fan now did it?

Renth

Smash Hero
YESSS

AANOOTHER THREAD TO TALK ABOUT ALL OF THIS.

Tell me, if you leave this thread open why did you close the one DooDah made about PB&J?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
this thread was actually just a joke thread because i saw zimmermans message to wittle and it made me imagine m2k as some john mcclane *** mother****er on a mission to protect what is rightfully his...and I just cracked the **** up

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Well, first off, I'd like to say that the OP is OP. Sooooooo funny.

Secondly, as hard as it is to take it in, you can't do anything about the money situation, because Plank never said anything about payouts. There was no agreement, not even a verbal agreement. People just assumed that there would be a payout, and you can't assume **** and then take it to court, lol.

So yeah, it sucks, but **** happens.

Pi

Smash Hero

Good shiz guys.
I really didn't think I'd have to explain why it's a terrible analogy to anyone, much less someone held in a moderators position.

lmao aight hey guys dad killed mom but let's not rip our family apart
This implies that 'dad' intended to kill 'mom'
as in
it wasn't an accident, or a mistake, or a miscalculation.

This does not relate to what happened with Plank and his tournament.

If he had said 'lmao aight hey guys dad accidentally caused moms death, but let's not rip our family apart.'

not only would it be a more accurate analogy, but it also wouldn't make sense because ones first instinct in that situation would not to be to blame each other and rip the family apart. It would be a terrible tragedy and a time for family togetherness and strengthening of bonds.

this is of course assuming we're accepting the comparison between the father of a family killing the mother of that same family, and planks optimism and faith in the community causing a financially unsuccessful tournament to be held, where he nets a personal financial loss.

let's help him hide mom's body because we can't have dad going to jail for ****ing up and killing mom
nobody is helping plank hide or cover up his mistake. we're just trying to remind everyone that it was in fact a MISTAKE, and nothing more.

i mean it's his first SERIOUS mistake so we can easily just forget about it
there's a difference between forgetting about something altogether, and learning and moving on as a community.
what exactly do you want to be done about this situation, no not what do you want done, what can be done? Plank has to decide for himself if he's going to reimburse the winners out of his own pockets. You can't force it, literally, he doesn't have money that he's hiding, he's broke.

plus remember all the cool things he did in the past for us? those are totally relevant right now!
And why wouldn't they be? When people are attacking his character based off of this one mistake, skewing and exaggerating instances where he messed up and basing claims about him as a person off of those, why is it not acceptable to bring up past instances where he has proven to be a good person whos priority in hosting tournaments is to benefit the community.

Roxy, on the real, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

if anyone who is not fully aware of what happened, you can read this post http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12332720&postcount=734

i've been keeping up with this instance since it was brought to my attention a couple of days ago, i've read through the whole pound prizes thread, and i'm informed about what went down and why.

i love this game and all but i'm seriously about to dip from this community, it's ****ing disgusting some times
inb4youwontbemissed

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer

Last I checked, you didn't start playing this game because you wanted to win money. You played because it was fun. Hell, we all play because it's fun. And it's really ****ty what happened but it DID happen and no, there is absolutely nothing that any of you can do about it. Nothing. It was an underground tournament with prize money on the line and no written, binding contracts. There is no feasible case that can be taken to court.

this post is boss.

Top Bottom