• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coming Right Back At Ya: Kirby for Smash Switch discussion

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
Just gonna list some changes that peoole have been mentioning or that I have reconized about Kirby in SSBU:
-His Dash attack now resembles melee which seems to travel faster and farther than his Brawl/Sm4sh dash attack
-Both Down and Forward Smash have more range and they look like they are stronger
-Inhale MIGHT have more range but I'm not sure
-Stone has faster startup
-Hammer Flip is stronger

Kirby's main problems do no seem to be solved but I am glad stone comes out faster at least.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I noticed he seems faster, both movements and attacks. People say that his smash attacks have more endlag but I didn't notice it, I noticed they seem to start faster, probably they added some more endlag to compensate the reduced lag at the beginning... if it's true that his smash moves are stronger, this means that they are finally some valid KO options (faster and stronger, but if you miss you are vulnerable due to the endlag).
In Smash 4 he wasn't that weak, it's just that against some characters he had little to no chance... all the characters with big attack ranges were out of reach for him, including King Dedede and Cloud (Dedede was considered weak but in a matchup with Kirby he had an huge advantage). On the other hand, I remember having a lot of fun against characters such as Shulk, Corrin and even Bayonetta, despite some of those characters being considered very strong. So IMO Kirby wasn't weak, he was just unbalanced.

Anyway, it's too late for this, but I would like Kirby's moveset to be reworked so that his moves aren't based on copy abilities, just on his basic moves from the games: for example, I would replace Final Cutter with a warp star attack (weaker than the item, in a similar way as Ness has a baseball bat integrated in his moveset), and I would give him those air puffs as aerial attack. Some moves from Fighter are OK since they are generic enough, but I would keep as many basic moves as possible, such as the attack he does when he drops from a certain height (in Kirby games) as down+A in air, and I would place the slide attack somewhere in the moveset too, if Megaman has it, why not Kirby too?
Also, I agree that he should copy the whole moveset of the opponents or have the abilities from the games (sword, hammer, etc.) with full movesets, instead of just replacing the inhale move (but I realize it would be an huge work, especially balancing it, since every ability would be like adding a new character).
If not the whole moveset, at least replace all the specials, or all the specials minus the recovery (warp star).

EDIT: some new concepts: the dash attack would be the power roll from Canvas Curse, and down+B would summon a shooting star just in fron of Kirby: the star falls vertically, and when it touches a solid platform, it transforms into a star block: you can make a pile of up to 3 star blocks (then they start breaking) and you can use them as an attack (they do damage when they fall, and go down like Villager's bowling ball), as a defensive move (a wall for projectiles) or inhale them to spit a powerful star (up to 3 at once, if you inhale all 3 of them, the star is way bigger and more powerful).

Last edited:

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
NEW KIRBY COPY ABILITY INFO CONFIRMED BY NINTENDO TREEHOUSE STREAM!
Once Kirby used up all the ink from the ink meter by using the Inkling copy ability, he will lose the ability.

EDIT: What is also confirmed is that Kirby can Inhale Ice Climber's ice projectiles to heal him

Last edited:

StraightUpSquared

Smash Rookie
I didn't see many changes except possibly an airspeed nerf . other than that, fsmash looks a bit stronger and dash speed seems a touch faster. So yeah... #bottomtierbois for life. *edit: upsmash looks a LOT faster,good stuff

Last edited:

NEXandGBX

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Bros
3DS FC
4399-0520-1281
Switch FC
SW-7575-1931-1021
Some extra Kirby changes you guys might be interested in.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Just saw the video and read the above twitter posts.

Not gonna lie, this is a definite gamechanger.

EDIT: Upon further consideration, it's pretty situational, and only being able to recover 1% even when swallowing a projectile that would normally deal 20+% is a shame. In 1v1's everyone will be doing a lot of damage, so 1% recovered with a projectile, while the enemy also knows that they can't camp us openly AND could use their projectiles to bait us into inhaling... It seems like an okay change. I need to play as Kirby vs others to see how the metagame develops.

Smash 4 Kirby depressed me so hard, lol. I need to thoroughly test Smash 5 Kirby before properly deciding whether he's good or not.

Last edited:

NEXandGBX

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Bros
3DS FC
4399-0520-1281
Switch FC
SW-7575-1931-1021
I'm curious what exactly the turning point between autoswallowing and being able to spit it back out is. Size? Damage? Regardless, given how small and weak most projectiles are, I don't think we'd be able to use the latter all that much. The healing's only 1%, and the swallowing animation looks punishable (way faster than Kirby eating items in Smash 4, but still punishable).

e: Also worth pointing out that Dedede and Wario were both able to swallow projectiles big and small in Smash 4, though no spitting it out. Wario's had little endlag so he was probably able to make good use of it.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Seems dependent on damage, considering they couldn't auto-swallow Villager's tree nor Samus's fully-charged shot, but they could auto-swallow everything else

NEXandGBX

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Bros
3DS FC
4399-0520-1281
Switch FC
SW-7575-1931-1021
I'm not sure if he's able to swallow the tree at all, but I asked Ho3K about it on Twitter and will update back here once I get a reply. I'm going to assume not because Dedede and Wario were unable to eat it in 4.

This is just guessing, but some other potential spittables: charged Clown Cannon (Bowser Jr), Thoron (Robin, seems less likely to be able to than others), Gordo (similar to how Dedede does it), charged Aura Sphere (Lucario, possibly only at high percents), charged Sun Salutation (WFT), Mega Man's charged F-Smash, charged Dragon Fang Shot (Corrin), and charged Charge Shot (already confirmed for Samus but possible with Mii Gunner). Other than that I'd assume everything just gets swallowed.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I actually think he'd be able to swallow anything he can suck up. I don't think I've ever found anything Kirby has been unable to swallow and instead forced to spit out.

NEXandGBX

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Bros
3DS FC
4399-0520-1281
Switch FC
SW-7575-1931-1021
Well of course he'd be able to swallow all of those too, I just think he could probably hold them in his mouth too.

Also, it's confirmed the tree just hit Kirby.

azureHayabusa

Smash Rookie
Although it was a casual match, one thing that stuck out from this is that it seems like Kirby can act almost immediately out of his swallow animation, although the same can be said for whoever gets copied. Here's the link to that point in the video. Not sure how well this works out for him, I'll have to test it out once the game drops.

https://youtu.be/iGXVpJLkyPg?t=1459

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Last edited:

StraightUpSquared

Smash Rookie
So, clearly nothing earth-shattering or broken, but definitely some nice quality of life improvements all around. I personally think that the DA and upair buffs are gonna be pretty big, those are some seriously undertuned moves in sm4sh.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I don't know why but i really don't like his final smash, mainly just because it was something that appeared in one Game, whilst something like Cook has been in Multiple games, makes sense though, i guess.

Bodacious66

Smash Cadet
What really held Kirby back in smash Wii u imo was bad range and terrible aerial mobility. If they improve those two things even a little bit could make a big difference.

NEXandGBX

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Bros
3DS FC
4399-0520-1281
Switch FC
SW-7575-1931-1021
From what I've heard his range has improved a bit, but air speed doesn't seem to have a difference so I'd say that'll still hold him back immensely.

jjh2

Smash Rookie
kirby got that melee dash attack back we burning out here

Calane

Smash Ace
Yes but passthrough is gone so it might function differently. If it consistently stops at shields then it's a dead move.
According to Kirby's SmashWiki page, his dash attack "deals more damage, can't be SDI'd, crosses up on shield, and can even kill at higher percents". I'm not proficient in Smash terminology, but I assume "crosses up on shield" means there's nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I do like Kirby having his Burning dash attack back, and being able to Inhale projectiles is good as both a buff and reference to his games. It'd be cool if Kirby could copy a character by swallowing one of their projectiles, but healing works too.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Yes but passthrough is gone so it might function differently. If it consistently stops at shields then it's a dead move.
All dash attacks, Fsmashes and aerials cross up shields no problem in the demo. It's just a few side bs (Fox, Bayo) that fail to do so. And the inability to run through people if neither of you are doing an attack which looks like a bug.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'll be honest, after having played the demo at CEO, me and my friend more or less came to the conclusion that we won't be maining Kirby in the next game. While I didn't get to test everything due to it being in a FFA setting (got to do 1v1 with Marth and Ike however) it just seems like Kirby has more or less most of the issues that plagued him in the previous game sans the new dash attack. We liked the improved up tilt range but otherwise his combo game seem more or less the same or even worse in some cases (couldn't even land fthrow>final cutter in most scenarios), and his airspeed seemed *slightly faster methinks? I appreciate some things were done but given how much more threatening swordies will be in this meta and Kirby not being able to rely on shield dash-ins as much as before (which will probably also hurt Mario and Luigi) and he probably won't be significantly much better imo. Definitely won't be bottom tier again since his burst zone threat is alot better but his changes aren't substantial enough compared to the buffs everyone else is getting.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I think the majority of Kirby's buffs come from the mechanics themselves, which isn't something people will immediately be able to feel out.

For example, dashing into his tilts (with his already solid ground speed) is an excellent option that allows him to approach while fighting on the ground (where he's strongest). Running dtilt in particular will be the bane of characters that can't grab him.

The fact that characters can no longer dodge freely gives him two boosts: first, to his approach. It's harder to simply run around him or jump + airdodge away when you get penalized for it. Second, to his own offstage capabilities... His edgeguarding will stand out since there are fewer options for avoiding him. Additionally, his own recovery is meaningful since everyone else's is worse. As an example, I airdodged offstage in the demo, but was still able to recover with my leftover resources. Most characters simply die now.

Universally shortened dash length is a godsend. I found that Kirby's approaches were limited due to the fact that they were so committal. If Kirby ran at an opponent, he had few options to avoid or otherwise defend himself once they threw out their own attacks. Finer movement will allow Kirby to threaten space without committing, and removes one of his biggest weaknesses in neutral (IMO).

Universal improvements to shorthop & fullhop mean that Kirby can more easily cover space above him. Another huge weakness Kirby had in Smash 4 is that he didn't accelerate to his full hop height quickly enough. As a result, circle camping him - even on flat stages, was incredibly free. Thanks to the speed boost in Ultimate, he can now more easily cut off opponents above him (though sadly, uair appears to be the same speed).

New perfect shield strength... One cool thing Kirby could do is use his small size to make perfect shielding easier. By starting from a crouch & shielding into an incoming attack, Kirby would stand up into the attack and perfect shield it. With shield safety being amazing now, and perfect shield being powerful but riskier, Kirby's stature should still be a huge boon. Since certain characters are forced to resort to landing aerials on him, he has perfect shielding as a strong & more easily accessible defensive tool.

The thing is, most of these improvements won't be apparent right now since the game is still being played exactly like Smash 4. When it starts being played like Smash Ultimate, then I think these things will be important.

On top of everything, it's important to consider how Kirby's poor MUs are effected. Bowser has lost his kill confirm. Sonic can no longer shield cancel spindash, and most moves appear to stop on shield (for now). Cloud has shorter range, can no longer land on characters with uair, and on top of that, can't hold limit. Corrin's pin kick range is reduced. So on.

Then, you consider Kirby himself - both his dash attack and dsmash send at favorable angles for his type of pressure and advantage. Final Cutter appears to have a rising hitbox. His movement is improved overall. He can inhale projectiles to spit them back out & effectively nullify camping/make it more dangerous. So on.

I think when you put all of those factors together, you find... It's far too early to judge how Kirby plays in Smash Ultimate. Considering how the meta shapes up, he could be quite good... or low tier. But the point is that we don't know. Just because other characters have received more obvious changes doesn't mean that Kirby is worse. Everything must be taken in context of *this game*, and not Smash 4.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Kirby's sword final smash is nice and all but I really liked his brawl FS. There is something satisfying about cooking your enemies alive just before you eat them.

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice
The main issue I have with Cook Kirby as a FS is the fact that it's really easy to predict and you dodge right out of it...

Gildiss

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0103-9270-5127
Nice to see the Kirby's dash attack covers a good amount of distance. It will make Kirby more fun to play as.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Universal improvements to shorthop & fullhop mean that Kirby can more easily cover space above him. Another huge weakness Kirby had in Smash 4 is that he didn't accelerate to his full hop height quickly enough. As a result, circle camping him - even on flat stages, was incredibly free. Thanks to the speed boost in Ultimate, he can now more easily cut off opponents above him (though sadly, uair appears to be the same speed).
What exactly is different? I came from the competitive insights thread after reading Dabuz's notes ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nnQXFoIvXX7xviFPhYAMTEm1OpVvLjdiNBS4Wf6y2S8/edit )
and I know jumpsquats are all 3 frames now, but that's only 1 frame faster than his old jumpsquat. Is it like knockback, where you have insane acceleration when you jump? O_o

If so, that's a much needed change, because Kirby's vertical mobility was one of the biggest things holding his combo back, and allowing circle camping like you said. The other thing holding his combo game back are his slow (relative to similar aerials like Mario and people have) aerials

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yeah, I be
What exactly is different? I came from the competitive insights thread after reading Dabuz's notes ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nnQXFoIvXX7xviFPhYAMTEm1OpVvLjdiNBS4Wf6y2S8/edit )
and I know jumpsquats are all 3 frames now, but that's only 1 frame faster than his old jumpsquat. Is it like knockback, where you have insane acceleration when you jump? O_o

If so, that's a much needed change, because Kirby's vertical mobility was one of the biggest things holding his combo back, and allowing circle camping like you said. The other thing holding his combo game back are his slow (relative to similar aerials like Mario and people have) aerials
To my understanding, yes. Vertical acceleration is improved across the board, which is a godsend!

His combo game is still solid with what he has, if not quite as extreme as Mario/Luigi. Other characters losing combo options makes him shine a bit more, too.

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Holy crap. I had no idea our Smashboard...board was already up. Well, with the SSB4 Kirby area pretty much dead, it's nice to have another place to discuss all things Kirby besides the Discord!

Anyways, from Discord, we've been analyzing a lot of stuff with frame data being the big one. Our hardcore dude Sdn has counted the frames on a lot of things, including landing lag which has seen major improvements all around. I'll copy my posts from there:

My Post:

"For comparisons sake, this was the landing of Kirby vs. Ryu in SSB4. The numbers are listed with this aerial order from Kurogane:

N-Air – F-Air – B-Air – U-Air – D-Air

6 + 14 + 12 + 14 + 18 = 64

10 + 13 + 17 + 12 + 17 = 69

Ryu beat us by 5 frames last time.

Kirby now stacks in at: 6 + 11 + 10 + 9/10 + 17 = 53/54

Assuming our analysis is correct, this is what other characters would have to beat to take the title from us again assuming our lag stays like this. "

Sdn's:

"6 + 8 + 10 + 7 + 17 = 48 "

If basically if our analysis is correct and nothing changes in this field, the sum of aerial landing lag on all of Kirby's aerials is now 48 frames. Pretty darn sweet if all true. The stand out reductions are N-Air and B-Air as N-Air is a vital landing option and with the landing lag reduction could improve our shield pressure while B-Air was basically Brawl Kirby's entire neutral game and losing it SSB4 doomed our already limited approach. F-Air's reduction is also nice as it now becomes a better short up spacing tool and can link into itself better. Back to N-Air, it now has less FAF in mid air so now it's better off stage.
Unfortunately, startup hasn't been improved for any aerials with Up-Air probably needing it most since Frame 10 is bad for a combo Up-Air. We can only hope they'll address that area in the patches this time. Oh yeah, people also say Up Air can kill now but if so it seems to take a while. D-Air also has a 2% damage buff.

Next we got our smashes. Along with what's been mentioned, Sdn has noted that Up Smash seems to be faster by a couple frames (Frame 12 tbp). Not a massive improvement but still appreciated as Frame 14 on Kirby's Up Smash was just horrendous. Aside from that, the other changes seem covered here already. Down Smash has its old angle back which is great as it'll now put people off stage and kill on 2 frames better while F-Smash MIGHT be laggier but now has Kirby do a lunge for more reach which I think is a great tradeoff. F-Smash was never spammable so being a more likely connect is much better.

For tilts, I am sure most of you know. F-Tilt is the same spacing tool it's always been. D-Tilt seem to have a better trip rate and Up Tilt was WAY more range at the cost of not being as spammable. I do hope sour Up Tilt still confirms into Inhale.

Another thing I am sure you guys aware already is mobility. All around, Kirby's mobility seems to be higher. Air speed doesn't seem too much higher at this time but still likely improved. Vertical movement has seen a buff as mentioned which is good for combos and navigating platforms, and ground seems much better. I think we now run about as fast as Mario which is smack dab in the middle. Utlimately (lol) we'll still need speed values to verify the improvements.

Now onto specials. I thought Final Cutter's projectile got its range improved but further analysis has me thinking it's a placebo. What's not a placebo though is that its rising hitbox has been greatly improved so it's not longer a free spike. Hammer might have more shield break potential now but I honestly didn't read too much into what Ken and the other guys on Discord said about because ever since its change I just feel it's a horrible style move that should never be tossed out in neutral. Hopefully testing a launch yields good results. The real star for specials though is Inhale. It was already Kirby's best special (being the only usable one in SSB4. rip) but now it's gotten a MASSIVE buff. Projectiles have always been a thorn in Kirby's side, hence why it's advised to copy opponents with good neutral specials. But now it has more utility beyond that. Now, just like in Kirby's games, he can Inhale most attack projectiles! This includes Ice Climbers Ice shards, Samus Charge shot, and even a transcendant Limit Blade Beam from Cloud as shown here:

https://twitter.com/itzMiKeKirbY/status/1013121178997874689

Small projectiles are eaten automatically for health while big ones can be sucked up, held, and spat out as Stars. This improves us greatly against long range zoning. And don't worry, copying :ultkingdedede: isn't worthless now as Dedede's Inhale can spit back the actual item instead of a star so we can spit his Gordos back if we copy him.

Next are the throws. These haven't been tested too much but, from what I've read, F-Throw still combos but not in the Gonzo style. Now enemies go up higher allowing you to consistently link in aerials. But no more fast fall Up Air stuff (I could never do it though so I don't mind). Down Throw is just a damage racker and Up Throw still kills although I am hearing it's weaker. If so, I hope it doesn't take them too long to address it.

And the other massive change is, of course, the Dash Attack. This change really can't be overstated though. SSB4 Kirby basically didn't have a Dash Attack and that was quite honestly crippling. Dash attacks are vital for starting combos, zone breaking, punish landings, punishing rolls, and being out of shield options. Our old Dash Attack couldn't do any of that. But , as I requested, they brought back the Melee single hit Dash Attack and made it actually powerful. It has so much utility now. It goes through shields so it's not as punishable. It's much faster and goes further which now gives us a legit burst option and out of shield option. It's single hit so no more people falling out. And best of all, it's STRONG and sends foes at a 50 degree angle. This makes it a great landing punish and option to dig the ledge for poorly spaced recoveries. In desperation situations, we now have a new option to take off a stock in a pinch which its burst and kill power. And thanks to the angle, foes will have a harder time escaping disadvantage. It's easily a Top 3 fix from the demo up there with B-Air's reduced landing lag and the Inhale buff.

All in all, I love a lot of the changes to Ultimate Kirby. Of courses there's more they could have done, and hopefully it will be done, but for now I am glad to see a lot of issues being addressed. I think if we have demo Kirby or better at launch, the patches will actually help us keep up with the meta this time instead of trying to claw us out of a pit of crapitude to make us barely functional.

I think the majority of Kirby's buffs come from the mechanics themselves, which isn't something people will immediately be able to feel out.

For example, dashing into his tilts (with his already solid ground speed) is an excellent option that allows him to approach while fighting on the ground (where he's strongest). Running dtilt in particular will be the bane of characters that can't grab him.

The fact that characters can no longer dodge freely gives him two boosts: first, to his approach. It's harder to simply run around him or jump + airdodge away when you get penalized for it. Second, to his own offstage capabilities... His edgeguarding will stand out since there are fewer options for avoiding him. Additionally, his own recovery is meaningful since everyone else's is worse. As an example, I airdodged offstage in the demo, but was still able to recover with my leftover resources. Most characters simply die now.

Universally shortened dash length is a godsend. I found that Kirby's approaches were limited due to the fact that they were so committal. If Kirby ran at an opponent, he had few options to avoid or otherwise defend himself once they threw out their own attacks. Finer movement will allow Kirby to threaten space without committing, and removes one of his biggest weaknesses in neutral (IMO).

New perfect shield strength... One cool thing Kirby could do is use his small size to make perfect shielding easier. By starting from a crouch & shielding into an incoming attack, Kirby would stand up into the attack and perfect shield it. With shield safety being amazing now, and perfect shield being powerful but riskier, Kirby's stature should still be a huge boon. Since certain characters are forced to resort to landing aerials on him, he has perfect shielding as a strong & more easily accessible defensive tool.

The thing is, most of these improvements won't be apparent right now since the game is still being played exactly like Smash 4. When it starts being played like Smash Ultimate, then I think these things will be important.

On top of everything, it's important to consider how Kirby's poor MUs are effected. Bowser has lost his kill confirm. Sonic can no longer shield cancel spindash, and most moves appear to stop on shield (for now). Cloud has shorter range, can no longer land on characters with uair, and on top of that, can't hold limit. Corrin's pin kick range is reduced. So on.

Then, you consider Kirby himself - both his dash attack and dsmash send at favorable angles for his type of pressure and advantage. Final Cutter appears to have a rising hitbox. His movement is improved overall. He can inhale projectiles to spit them back out & effectively nullify camping/make it more dangerous. So on.

I think when you put all of those factors together, you find... It's far too early to judge how Kirby plays in Smash Ultimate. Considering how the meta shapes up, he could be quite good... or low tier. But the point is that we don't know. Just because other characters have received more obvious changes doesn't mean that Kirby is worse. Everything must be taken in context of *this game*, and not Smash 4.
Great to see you again RK and great rundown. Indeed, a lot of us in the Discord feel that the changes AROUND Kirby might end up helping more than the changes to his own kit, which are far from irrelevant which I might add. Air dodges taking a nosedive in utility is particularly big buff. When recovering became super free in SSB4, Kirby's recovery relatively got significantly worse as he still had a crappy recovery move but his air speed was worsened while other characters could just air dodge and use their moves to get the ledge thanks to having recoveries that snap at the zenith and generally better air speed. Mario of all characters ended up having one of the best recoveries despite it being linear and short on paper. And of course, Kirby's edge guarding took a nosedive too. With N-Air having so much mid air lag and D-Air being Frame 18, Kirby just could edge guard as well as he should have. Often foes could just air dodge past you and get the ledge or a reverse edge guard or just stuff our D-Air out as our reduced air speed made positioning ourselves tougher. Our multiple jumps lost a lot of their luster off stage.

But now it's different. Air dodge, compared to SSB4, SUCKS in Ultimate. Just look at all the folks killing themselves with it during the invitational. The meme of hold lelft/right -> air dodge -> recover is pretty much dead. Now having multiple jumps is a legitimate advantage again. With multiple jumps, our air dodge isn't nearly as high commital and we can more easily cut people off, especially with a N-Air that ends sooner. And with D-Smash and Dash Attack, foes will be going off stage far more often now.

The rage nerf is also a boon. We're light and floaty and don't have absurd kill setups or speed like Fox and Mewtwo so rage hurt us for the most part. Now that penalty has been reduced.

Another big change was footstools now being techable. Our footstool meta onstage was nonexistant so it being teachable now reduces how shortens the gap in our advantage state when compared to other characters. And of course, many rough matchups have been significantly toned down. I am especially happy about Limit running out in 15 seconds, Sonic's spin Dash no longer being shield cancelable, Bayonetta likely getting even MORE nerfs, a lot of swordies seemingly having less range, and Bowser's dumb kill combo being gone.

All in all, Ultimate is already looking much better for Kirby than SSB4 ever did. I can only hope the patches work further to address Kirby's core flaws instead giving constant, pointless knockback buffs on his hammer.

And now that I know this place is already a thing, I intend to report the goodies from Discord here whenever something big comes up as, while it's more chat friendly, searching for info on Discord is a pain the butt.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Inhale will be super fun to use now, thanks to buffs on range, Kirbycide, and what it can inhale. It'll likely become a huge part of his gameplay, and a useful tool for his mains.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
From Discord, a compilation of changes. Credit goes to SdN for putting it together:

I spent the next few days after E3 just watching Kirby VODs frame by frame and analyzing everything I could, double and triple checking everything. Of course that doesn't guarantee that everything I wrote down is correct, I already found some errors and corrected them.
Disclaimers: Game is not final, everything could change, also it's not complete and things might be wrong.
But here it is, my personal list of things I saw that were changed about Kirby:

**Buffs:**
Jab Finisher: 2% -> 3%
Dash Attack active: 9-~30
Dash Attack damage: 10%/7%/4%
Dash Attack FAF: 61
U-Smash active: 14- -> 12-
U-Smash FAF: 48 -> 46
U-Smash (late): 12%/11% -> 13%/?
D-Smash sends horizontally now
Spotdodge intangibility: 3-17 -> 3-18
Airdodge intangibility: 3-27 -> 3-29
N-Air Landing Lag: 10 -> 6
N-Air FAF lower, unsure by how much
F-Air Landing Lag: 13 -> 8
B-Air Landing Lag: 17 -> 10
U-Air Landing Lag: 12 -> 7
D-Air Landing Lag: 17 -> 16
D-Air (Hits 1-5): 1% -> 1.3%
Ledge Attack intangibility: 1-17 -> 1-19
Ledge Attack: 7% -> 9%
Ledge Roll FAF: 50 -> 47 or 44
Can Inhale projectiles now
Up-B ascending hitbox better

**Nerfs:**
Jab 1: 2% -> ~1.8%
Jab 2: 3% -> ~1.6%
Rapid Jab: 1% -> 0.2%
Grab FAF: 28 -> 34 or 38
Dash Grab active: 8- -> 9-
Dash Grab FAF: 39 -> 42
Pummel: 1.55% -> 1%
Roll Forward intangibility: 4-17 -> 4-13
Roll Backward intangibility: 4-17 -> 5-14
Roll Backward FAF: 31 -> 36
Airdodge (directional and neutral) FAF higher, unsure by how much
Ledge Jump intangibility: 1-12 -> 1-10
Ledge Jump FAF: 13 -> 15
Ledge Roll intangibility: 1-24 -> 1-20 or 1-22

**Others changes:**
F-Throw sends Kirby himself higher than in Smash 4
Rolls might depend on which side they're done from (unconfirmed)
Directional airdodge snaps ledge from frame 35 on
Directional airdodge intangibility: 3-22

Disclaimer:

A lot of the nerfs are just things that were generally nerfed across the board like grabs, rolls and some ledge options.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I appreciate the data, but I'd be wary about everything remaining the same all the way towards release.

Top Bottom