• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos Exist, PROOF

Ja

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a lot of talk about how Brawl is fundamentally broken because there aren't any combos. For a while I agreed with these people, but then I saw this video. Now I'm feeling much more optimistic about brawl as a competitive game.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a lot of talk about how Brawl is fundamentally broken because there aren't any combos. For a while I agreed with these people, but then I saw this video. Now I'm feeling much more optimistic about brawl as a competitive game.
Wow, guys pretty good with MK. That was cool.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
The MK player was too daring with his intercepts. But the video was ownage, if only for the music.
It's been forever since I've heard Shounen Heart (the song in the vid), which made it even better.

Anyway, it's encouraging to see people performing combos only a week after release. The game should develop quite rapidly within the coming months.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
You're joking right? People honestly thought there was no combos? What? I laughed out loud for real! Nice video though. thanks for the link. :D

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Haha, this video makes me wish they'd do a Smash Bros. spinoff using only winged characters. Some of that aerial **** is nuts.

forute

Smash Ace
How many jumps does Metaknight have?! It seemed like he was able to intercept Pit on equal footing out in the air.
6 jumps
Pit has 4 iirc, but I'm not the one who was playing as him so I couldn't tell you
To compensate, Pit gets a lot more height out of his jumps than Meta Knight does so it's hard to edgeguard him, you kind of have to anticipate since one of your jumps generally won't be enough to catch up with him.

And yeah it was all totally overzealous of me, but nothing ventured nothing gained right? haha
At least I think the song fits Meta Knight really well in terms of his playstyle, but it's not like I was the one who chose it or anything, so~

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Seriously...

1) Combos are a core part of Smash as it is...
2) You can't just "take out combos" without either doing too much coding or making the game turn-based...
3) I don't understand how people can make such quick assumptions of this game after just one week...

C'mon now... Does anyone really need video confirmation for this? Or has Sakurai's tricks and pranks made skeptics of all of us? :/

Banned via Administration
um there were no combos. it was just exchanging hits. the only combos were b moves (which dont count as combos) and ****ty uair combos.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I knew combos were still in Brawl, you just have to do them in a different way.

forute

Smash Ace
It's not really that cheap, guys XD
Basically, it puts him in a lot of danger.
If he's on the edge and you're preventing him from getting back onto the stage, and he decides to fly under and to the other side, what's he gain from it? All he does is get back on the other ledge, and you're there preventing him again.
On the other hand, if you can get off the stage quick enough and land a hit on him before he can grab the edge, you'll cancel his up+b and get a free kill. I honestly kinda prefer when Light's flying under because of that, even if it's extremely rare for me to catch him before he can get the ledge.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
as said, pits recovery was good. he seems to have okay weight as well

the combos.... were sad. i don't even consider them combos. metaknight just plays that style as in a bunch of hits. not as effective as a real combo

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
uhhhh... any character that can glide can go under a stage and come back out the other side....
Yea, using all jumps, the glide and the up+b. Pit can do it in less than a second using no jumps no glide.

And that's COOL!

Lant

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be too bothered by peoples opinions just yet, people weren't amazing at melee when it first came out, heck, I'm sure there's alot of people who didn't even like it right off the bat.

Give it a few months, and worldwide release, and I'm sure people'll find out more interesting ways to play.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
The quicekr characters like Toon Link, Metaknight, Pit and Diddy Kong have extended combos, In fact Pits spinning rush move is practically infinite and can score many many hits. But most other characters dont have the same drawn out comboing abilities.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Haha, you guys crack me up.

The only combo I saw was the up air combo metaknight did.

When you do Meta's uair all you have to do is hold up while you're doing it and you will constantly hit them up and jump while you do it.

There are definitely still combos, but this isn't one of the new competitive combos of Brawl. You can easily DI out of it.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
The quicekr characters like Toon Link, Metaknight, Pit and Diddy Kong have extended combos, In fact Pits spinning rush move is practically infinite and can score many many hits. But most other characters dont have the same drawn out comboing abilities.
Not true. You can easily DI out of pit's forward B after just a couple of hits. If you DI directly into your opponent, then yes you can get lots of hits.

J18

Smash Journeyman
how the hell could there not be combos. honestly. it would be pretty **** hard NOT to combo in smash.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Uh no. Mk is simply one of the few that can actually follow up immediately after sending someone in the air by *Gasp* flying after him. Not all the characters are given such options. Mk also has virtually no knockback on most of his attacks which helps his case.

edit: what Lee said.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I hope the title isnt serious....combos are amazing now

check out my youtube niko9876 for some friendlies.

Top Bottom