• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

comboing with doc?

captainlukey

Smash Ace
hey guys,
i only just recently started playin doc... im a falco guy you see,
and im having heaps of trouble setting up for combos with doc... i can occasionaly get a small combo of uairs, but thats about it, could someone please just tell me what attacks set up good for combos (preferably airial), i know the nair is one of his good ones.. but it doesnt seem to work for me, i think i have bad spacing with doc and i hit them behind me all the time... and wat characters should i practice on? and at what damages?
any real super uber pro docs feel free to give me some advice... i need it

St. Viers

Smash Champion
u-tilt and up smash are great for starting combo's, and uptilt can continue them a little bit (but nowhere near as well as mario's).

Grabs are great for starting combos as well...d-throw chaingrabs a couple people, up-throw can chain-throw fox/falco/falcon a while, as well as set up for other combos.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Dr isn't as comboey as falco but the main ones are uairs which you should use a lot against slowfallers, dthrow to uptilt, chainthrows, and nair can combo slowfallers like Marth.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Also, jabs. Mainly on floatly characters. I wouldn't necessarily call them a combo, but, they can help. One or two jabs easily lead into a downsmash or another quick attack or a grab which can lead into something more devasting.

captainlukey

Smash Ace
thanx for the info guys... but i probly should have waited before posting this thread cause i was watching overdose last night and it gave me heaps of ideas... and i can almost combo a level 1 marth from zero to death... i know thats probly not much to you doc champions but i was pretty impressed... and ill try to get some vids up of my doc for more help... but the thing that spun me out the most was that you CAN actually combo people from zero to death with doc... i could never do that with falco... and after about 3 hours im almost doin it with doc...
and is it worth tryin mario out? is he better for combos? i know thats around here somwere but i cant be bothered lookin, and its a waste of thread to end it here...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Heaps...weird word.

Yeah, Mario is better for comboing but lacks KO ability. Doc is said to be a better version than Mario, but it all depends on how you play. Doc is simply easier to play with because scoring a KO isn't remotely difficult. Mario has better recovery and comboing, Doc is better at edgeguarding and Doc can KO. That's it in a nutshell.

Doc's pills are also much better projectiles than Fireballs.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
As for the Mario vs. Doctor Mario idea, I'd have to tell you to go with whoever you want. I'd say in many cases Doctor Mario is superior, mainly because he's so incredibly KO-heavy. However, it all depends on your play style, and I've seen plenty who are better with Mario than they are with Doctor Mario. Doc is generally a bit slower and needs more calculating gameplay, as its must harder to pull off rapid fire combos... though not impossible.

As for combo advice, i'd have to say everything said so far is really great. Im a huge fan of jabs, and especially the uptilt for starting aerial combos. My advice would be to avoid using the Fair too zealously and too often as a combo ender. Its great, yes, but people tend to use it at the wrong times (myself included). i've found it most helpful in pursuing opponents and bringing them up and off the ground; a way to turn up the pressure if they're being evasive. Dont always use it as a combo ender, though, especially in air, as some faster aerial characters (Luigi, Marth, etc.) can nail you for it due to its delay, even if its SHFFL'd.
I'd also like to add tht the F-tilt is good for extending combos, just because its reach can get you an extra couple of inches to continue your work and keep the heat on the opponent, when otherwise you'd need to chase..

captainlukey

Smash Ace
coolies, and how would i go aboout incorporating downsmash?
ive seen a couple of examples but cant really figure out in my own playstyle how to place it properly... if you guys could just tell me how you use it and ideal opportunities...

Ronin686

Smash Ace
coolies, and how would i go aboout incorporating downsmash?
ive seen a couple of examples but cant really figure out in my own playstyle how to place it properly... if you guys could just tell me how you use it and ideal opportunities...
It's essentially an F-smash, except less powerful and more range. Do it whenever you see fit..

Pill - > dsmash
Uair - > dsmash
Chain grab - > dsmash
wavedash - > dsmash

Just make sure you know the range so you won't miss x.x

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
I'd have to say i prefer anything that draws the opponent in to pull of a Dsmash. It has superior range (as far as i know) to the Fsmash and happens alot more suddenly. In terms of starting stuff with it, if you can learn to crouch-cancel effectively (i know of only 1 doc who can do this really well, and i swear its not me), you can downsmash out of that, and if they're at low damage it serves as a powerful and bewildering interrupt, through which you can start up a combo with the jabs or otherwise. I find that wavedashing into downsmash helps alot, like Ronin said (well, i gotta say everything he suggested has worked for me in the past, so definately check that shiz out). One i particularly like is the "Jeet kune do" approach, where you use a bunch of F-tilts to keep them at a good distance (might needa combine with defensive wavedashing, etc.), then end in a d-smash directly after an f-tilt. For some reason, its possible to pull this off pretty **** fast, and its a good way to deal with someone who's way aggressive, and turn things around, i mean you can chase them down after the insane knockback (should you get a good angle with the dsmash). I really enjoy doing it after a jab, but the timing there is rather difficult.. i suppose its variability is an advantage in terms of mindgames.

Top Bottom