• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combatting a top-tier snake

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
I'm a G&W main but I can never seem to beat really good Snakes with my G&W. I just started using DK as a counter to Snake. Are there any specific techniques I should practice? Are there any advanced techniques I should know?

Veggi

Smash Champion
Yes, when he uses his cypher try to spike him the best you can, also when he is recovering try to predict when he is going to use the chypher and spike him accordingly. By watching when he is going to use it, you can make sure that he doesn't just go as high as he can really quick so you can't get him. So by going early, you can kill him easy with the f air part that spikes, or the f air part that raeps them off the side of the stage.

Snake's cypher doesn't sweetspot the edge, so if he uses it and flies up in front of you grab his cypher and he will die. If you grab him while he's flying and not the cypher don't press anything, just let the grab release and he will just fall not being able to use his up b again. Proceed with the lulz.

I heard somewhere that if he was release grabbed he couldn't c4 recover. I could be wrong though.

K now enough with the cypher, the best approach option in my opinion is the rar'ing of double bairs. If he throws a grenade, try to catch it and throw it back. If he knows how to grenade strip screw it, don't do that again. The main focus of playing against Snake is to try to keep him in the air. Snake is juggled easily so use up tilt over and over until he's out of range and then use u air. Followed by another u air. It works suprisingly well. Also any time you ever see Snake vulnerable ever. Unleash a Giant Punch. In my opinion abusing the super armor against him works better than with alot of other characters. If you can predict something coming at close range, punch right through it.

Uhh...more advice...I think your f tilt is either at his level or better, so using that to bully him torward the edge is a good idea. Also if you can get him sitting near the edge, grab him, walk off and throw him against the stage. Anywhere off the edge is where DK shines. Another tip, use down b on his mines, they will asplode, maybe even catch him in it?

Linguini

Smash Master
Never let snake approach you on the ground from far away, if you see him walking towards you make sure you down-b right away, this will push him away if he shields or hit him if he doesn't.

Aerials are one thing that you have and that snake is weak against.
SH bair to side b is great because it stops your momentum therefore evading a shield grab and usually weakening/breaking the opponent's shield or grounding him which equals a free, any move you want.

Remember to charge your Giant Punch constantly because this is going to be one of the most useful tools in this matchup due to the fact that you can disregard snakes nades and projectiles by simply running in and releasing the punch thanks to SA frames, take advantage of this.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
OMG.... another thread like this, people who do this need to be banned

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
DK in my opinion is the perfect snake counter. There aren't ant DK specific "AT's" to my knowledge, but if there is any advice that i can give, is to capitalize on mistakes, i cannot stress that enough. DK is a powerhouse so if they mess up at considerable % you make sure you CAPITALIZE. And if you want to end a match with some flare, stage spike throw ftw!

But if you want, i have this vid of me playing against my friends snake with DK, and just embarrassing him making him look like a scrub. :D

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
DK in my opinion is the perfect snake counter. There aren't ant DK specific "AT's" to my knowledge, but if there is any advice that i can give, is to capitalize on mistakes, i cannot stress that enough. DK is a powerhouse so if they mess up at considerable % you make sure you CAPITALIZE. And if you want to end a match with some flare, stage spike throw ftw!

But if you want, i have this vid of me playing against my friends snake with DK, and just embarrassing him making him look like a scrub. :D
When mentioning videos, it's usually a good idea to put the link to said video(s).

Top Bottom