• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Columbus, OH Social and Smashfest Thread

SoulPech

Smash Master
I've updated the OP on this. I'm going to attempt to update this as well as facebook for events.

Updates:
  • Added Upcoming tournaments for this week
  • Took out the Columbus Fight Night since smash no longer takes part of it
  • POSSIBLE NEW VENUE! STAY TUNED FOR MORE!

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Nope. Ever since Donatos got rid of their CRTs and that we couldn't keep ours there, we left the fight nights. Our smashfests are at Soul Pech's house in Dublin.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
The Smashfests can still happen at Donatos. It's just not as reliable.

First, I tried using a Wii U to play Brawl on an HDTV, and then get some GameCube controller adapters for it. Then later, when my Gamepad broke, I bought an HD Adaptor for my regular Wii so I could connect that to an HDTV instead, and use GCCs without adapters.

The only issue is that there could be lag, but I can't really ever feel it. Even if no one's there to play Melee/Brawl/P:M, I still go to Donatos since I play other games there like Street Fighter, Marvel, & Skulgirls. I'm a multitasker, there.

Lastly, these fight nights have been on Tuesday, now.

Last edited:

SoulPech

Smash Master
the main reason why don't really hold them at donatos is because of the HDTVs. If Donatos didn't mind having us store tvs, this wouldnt be the issue, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Carls plays other FGC games, so he is able to bring his Wii U, which reduces the lag.

We've also found a new venue, so we're looking on the next course of action w/ that.

SoulPech

Smash Master
There's a smashfest @ my house this saturday. It'll start at 3 and end whenever. Please let me know if you need the address (psst...should be in the OP).

Master WGS

Smash Lord
GGs for me as well. BOY I was rustier than I expected. I was missing wavelands aaaaaallllll over the place.

Still, I had a lot less trouble parking this week than usual, so you might see me more often. Hope I wasn't too talky during matches - I do that when I'm trying to get comfortable around new people.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Columbus Fight Night was a huge success!

We had 5 setups with about 14 people actually playing smash (about 8 people new). It was beautiful ;~;.

We do have a minor emergency though. Due to reservations, I won't be able to host a tourney on the weekends @ Donatos for a long time. I would strongly encourage asking around for possible venues. If anyone knows like game stores, food places, etc that is willing to host tournaments with people ranging from 30-50 people that would be pretty awesome!.

Columbus is growing rapidly and I can't be hyped enough for this

TeachMe

Smash Rookie
Hello, everyone. I'm not sure if this is the best place to do this, but I really, really, really want to start playing smash with people. I have a group of friends that I play with, but we always play free for alls and I feel like I can't ever get better by doing that.

Some of my Smash background: Absolutely nothing, aside from 2 tournaments through OSU. I won one and came in second in another.

In Smash 64, I use Samus.

In Melee, I use Marth.

In Brawl, I use Wolf, but I'm not bad with Olimar, Marth, or Diddy Kong.

I really want to improve. I would love to get into this, but I don't know the best place to look for Smash groups.

Please let me know! I'm sure I could get 1 or 2 other people involved.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Hi @ TeachMe TeachMe

Do you have a Facebook? Most of us use facebook for scheduling events and stuff. I just post time to time on this thread.

edit: nvm i see you in the osu melee thread. go here for brawl and pm

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I'm going to assume that everybody in this thread is in/near Columbus?

Kinda depressed. Youngstown and the surrounding area is such a Melee town...

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
you can always come to columbus.

it's not that far of a drive, lol.
Considering that my car guzzles gas faster than it should and I'm working a job that doesn't pay the greatest, it's not the length of the drive that bothers me as much as the cost. If I had some friends to chip in for gas, maybe, but again, heavily Melee town and the few people who play will PM play casually at best and probably wouldn't want to go. Of course, I'm pretty casual too, but it would be fun to get better if I had more money to blow.

SoulPech

Smash Master
You could try to get a carpool. I don't know exactly what your situation is, but i'd like to help and get you into a rapidly growing smash scene for Project M!

Also, reminder that Columbus Fight Night is tonight! I would like to see more people come to this and always, bring setups if you can :)

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Huh, are there people that carpool to Columbus from North East Ohio? I'd be down for that, depending on the days these are held.

Reiign

Smash Cadet
I just found this thread and was wondering if the tourneys are still being held at that Donatos. I'm not in Ohio right now but I will be back later this month.

SoulPech

Smash Master
We are in the process of finding other venues for tournaments because Donatos is reserved all the way through september. We currently visit it every Tuesday for Fight Nights. We had 22 people playing there yesterday and it's in the summertime on campus. Good results!

Reiign

Smash Cadet
We are in the process of finding other venues for tournaments because Donatos is reserved all the way through september. We currently visit it every Tuesday for Fight Nights. We had 22 people playing there yesterday and it's in the summertime on campus. Good results!
Try hitting up local churches in the area, they may be willing to help. I requested to join the facebook group btw.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
has anyone tried gate way theatre? they
have a big room( step dad use to work there) they might let tourney be hosted there. a suggestion..

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Side note to the tournament venue talk: Holy cow, I feel like more people are coming to Donato's every week. If you live in the area and aren't in the Facebook group, you should definitely join and start showing up to these shindigs. This makes me super eager for when we DO find a good tourney venue.

Jed05

Smash Cadet
NNID
DimmuJed
3DS FC
4227-3278-6754
I'm newer to the Smash "scene" but I've started streaming Pokemon XY, Melee, and have two consoles ready to go for the Japanese launch of Smash 3DS. I'll be doing a 24 hour stream of it on launch day and I'm looking to start a tournament of some sort with it prior to the US release.

I live in Gahanna, not far from Easton mall in Columbus.

Anyone be interested in joining me during the 24 hour launch stream and or helping me setup a tournament to stream as well? I'd provide the consoles / games / stream.

Top Bottom