• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Collections of Cognitive Dissonance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Guys stop all the flaming now. I don't care what happens on skype, but it stays on skype. Don't bring it up here and stop your flaming. Infractions will be given in crescendo.

Now back on track please.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Warning Received
i care about what happens on skype guys

if you need anyone to talk to here i'm always here

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
I think we should be able to insult eachother on this board. It would bring more discussion.

Studstill

Smash Ace
For the last time. I said not to involve invincibility. You did. No apology, no mention of this blatant disregarding of what I actually say, even after you made a video that would have been funny, if I thought any of this was in good fun any more. I no longer care to explain myself, my views, or even discuss SSB on this forum anymore. Which is sad.
I got so upset the other day, I wrote a 2 page biography of how I came to have such a different point of view. Then I decided not to post it, because I only enjoy getting made fun of, or called an insane idiot by people who know those aren`t true, and/or like me.
Karajan is entirely arguing on anecdote, and parroting out 'facts' that someone else researched.
Javi, your open demands for me to pay you, even before mixa posted his more legitimate research: I don`t know how to not feel completely insulted by that. Maybe you or others have led a cushy life, or have never gambled with people who aren`t your friends,
BUT I WOULD NEVER SHIRK A BET, AND IMPLYING SO IS ****ING DISRESPECTFUL,
especially in the manner of a petulant child. <--(ad hominem)
That last bit brings me to another point, about why I can`t stand to talk to you:
Your grasp of logic and fallacy is not as secure as you think. This goes for anyone else who accused me of ad hominem attacks, and then responded in kind. If I say your argument is gibberish, or your logic or conclusions are ridiculous: THAT IS NOT AN AD HOMINEM.
Saying that your conclusions are gibberish, or logic ridiculous because:
You aren`t any good at the game.
You haven`t ever played anyone good. (All your friends are ****ty at this game)
You haven`t been to any tournaments.
Which one of the above groups sounds like my words or yours?

I lost my temper, sure, and I`m sorry for the tone of at least one of those posts. In the middle of this thread I found out that people I thought were new friends were just mocking me for sport, like so many sociopaths. And that hurt, because I`m an actual ****ing human being. The way that y`all circle up is disheartening, you think it`s a point of pride in the community, loyalty to members or something, but we`d be better served if Cobr got hit by a goddamn bus yesterday. In fact, just to put this here:

I would appreciate your handful of hitbox pictures more if they weren`t posted in such a jerky tone. Compare mixa`s tone with your own. Note the distinct lack of scientific doubt? The general sense of Us vs. Unknown Facts, instead of what you all seem to enjoy so much, the Us vs. Them. Or Me. And don`t go ****ing accusing me of 'victimization'. I`m not talking about everyone is against me, simply that the ones of you that are, could do with a lesson or two in respectful discourse.

You and Rob have completely disgusted me with this whole scene. You need to look in the mirror, at least online, and get a ****ing grip on interacting with people, and maturing as adults. Again, I did get upset, and I`m sorry if I insulted any of you.

I am MIA, as far as SB is concerned. I`m not sure if I`m going to Zenith, or even back to the Skype group.

Good luck with your Smash.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
For the last time. I said not to involve invincibility. You did. No apology, no mention of this blatant disregarding of what I actually say, even after you made a video that would have been funny, if I thought any of this was in good fun any more. I no longer care to explain myself, my views, or even discuss SSB on this forum anymore. Which is sad.
Thanks for basically confirming that you didn't even view my last post since there's ZERO blue hurtboxes/invincible hitboxes in my last example.

BUT I WOULD NEVER SHIRK A BET, AND IMPLYING SO IS ****ING DISRESPECTFUL
Well too bad, but no matter how dramatic you make your posts or how much you walk around it, you're literally avoiding my last post which is perfect evidence of priority. If you don't even respond to my last post or even point out (i.e. make an excuse) why it's not valid evidence, you're shirking on a bet. No implication here, it's simply fact that you're avoiding my last example.

You and Rob have completely disgusted me with this whole scene. You need to look in the mirror, at least online, and get a ****ing grip on interacting with people, and maturing as adults. Again, I did get upset, and I`m sorry if I insulted any of you.
Lol "you and rob"? Why in the world would you lump us together? Rob and I disagree with a lot of things in regards to ssb64. I've disagreed with him on: Character balance, use of timers in ssb64, how to approach troubles and issues with the 64 community, use of defensive play, stage bans, tournament rules, etc.

I would appreciate your handful of hitbox pictures more if they weren`t posted in such a jerky tone. Compare mixa`s tone with your own. Note the distinct lack of scientific doubt? The general sense of Us vs. Unknown Facts, instead of what you all seem to enjoy so much, the Us vs. Them
Funny Fact: I corrected sangoku and he agreed with me when I explained the example that mixa and sangoku were confused about.
Also, please point out the "jerky tone" or anything like that in my previous post in this thread. I'll be waiting.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Thanks for basically confirming that you didn't even view my last post since there's ZERO blue hurtboxes/invincible hitboxes in my last example.

Well too bad, but no matter how dramatic you make your posts or how much you walk around it, you're literally avoiding my last post which is perfect evidence of priority. If you don't even respond to my last post or even point out (i.e. make an excuse) why it's not valid evidence, you're shirking on a bet. No implication here, it's simply fact that you're avoiding my last example.

Lol "you and rob"? Why in the world would you lump us together? Rob and I disagree with a lot of things in regards to ssb64. I've disagreed with him on: Character balance, use of timers in ssb64, how to approach troubles and issues with the 64 community, use of defensive play, stage bans, tournament rules, etc.

Funny Fact: I corrected sangoku and he agreed with me when I explained the example that mixa and sangoku were confused about.
Also, please point out the "jerky tone" or anything like that in my previous post in this thread. I'll be waiting.

We need to make it more difficult for scrubstill to focus on the irrelevant stuff in posts. I think he does it in order to dodge the topic at hand. He goes off on so many tangents its nauseating.

EDIT: wait i just realized, studdy might have like, a severe case of ADHD which would explain so much

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
sangoku should get rid of this thread, it has divulged into at best nothing and at worst a legitimate case of harassment

Studstill

Smash Ace
Javi, that does appear to be more civil; I agree with Clubba and am replying for clarity, not to further the length of this thread.

Perhaps I am sensitive to these things, or you simply have an abrasive style of debate, but "jerky" is my impression of even your more civil sounding response. I objected to you even implying I wouldn`t pay out, so you doubled down and insisted I am; "Well too bad" should have read "My bad, I certainly didn`t mean to imply you were dishonest, Studstill." Further, the "I`m waiting." at the end of the post, after I thought I made it clear that I don`t care to discuss this game with you or Rob anymore. That`s why you guys are 'lumped together', not for agreement or whatever, but because of the way you both choose to talk to me.

I don`t get how you missed the point of my post so badly. The first half of your response assumes both (falsely) that I didn`t even look at your other posts and then goes on to (somehow?) say that I did look at them and just cannot refute them. As if that wasn`t enough you then accuse me of being dramatic? You private messaged me on Skype, refused to discuss it in a group with other smashers, informed me you were making a Youtube* video for the purpose of proving me wrong on a statement that explicitly said not to use invincibility. Which I took as blatant evidence you had little interest in discussing how moves interact, you would rather attack me over my dislike of JARGON.
"Jerky" was my attempted polite way of saying all that, Javi.
I regret ever making that bet: I thought it was a friendly one at best, but at worst would spark some chatter. Your behavior, Rob, et al, made it clear to me immediately that this was not friendly and I lost all interest in it. I do not want to talk about this anymore:
I do not think that my statement was wrong, but insist upon it in PM and I will pay the bet to be done with it.

Peace.

PS: I found a gamefaqs thread that had assembled these three quotes, I`m just RPing.

"I'm pretty sure that, for the most part, priority doesn't exist in this game." - DMoogle

"priority only exists for ground vs ground attacks, and even there I'm not 100% sure of the details. In air vs air, certainly the only factors of hitting are hitbox position (i.e. range) and timing. So if both players predict each other, and they launch similarly ranged aerials at the same time, they both get hit. Air vs ground is the same deal I think...I used to think ground attacks were able to override air attacks, but I learned it's just that usmash and utilt attacks tend to have uncanny range." - dch111

"When we talk about priority in this game, we obviously mean length of disjointed hitbox vs. the character's hurtbox." - Fireblaster

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Javi, that does appear to be more civil; I agree with Clubba and am replying for clarity, not to further the length of this thread.

Perhaps I am sensitive to these things, or you simply have an abrasive style of debate, but "jerky" is my impression of even your more civil sounding response. I objected to you even implying I wouldn`t pay out, so you doubled down and insisted I am; "Well too bad" should have read "My bad, I certainly didn`t mean to imply you were dishonest, Studstill." Further, the "I`m waiting." at the end of the post, after I thought I made it clear that I don`t care to discuss this game with you or Rob anymore. That`s why you guys are 'lumped together', not for agreement or whatever, but because of the way you both choose to talk to me.

I don`t get how you missed the point of my post so badly. The first half of your response assumes both (falsely) that I didn`t even look at your other posts and then goes on to (somehow?) say that I did look at them and just cannot refute them. As if that wasn`t enough you then accuse me of being dramatic? You private messaged me on Skype, refused to discuss it in a group with other smashers, informed me you were making a Youtube* video for the purpose of proving me wrong on a statement that explicitly said not to use invincibility. Which I took as blatant evidence you had little interest in discussing how moves interact, you would rather attack me over my dislike of JARGON.
"Jerky" was my attempted polite way of saying all that, Javi.
I regret ever making that bet: I thought it was a friendly one at best, but at worst would spark some chatter. Your behavior, Rob, et al, made it clear to me immediately that this was not friendly and I lost all interest in it. I do not want to talk about this anymore:
I do not think that my statement was wrong, but insist upon it in PM and I will pay the bet to be done with it.

Peace.
Darn only 50% accurate:

"priority only exists for ground vs ground attacks, and even there I'm not 100% sure of the details.
Did you notice how you went from "Priority does not exist:" to quoting something saying priority does exist, yet you still refuse to acknowledge that priority exists in SSB64?

You have been conviently not addressing my posts, see:
http://smashboards.com/threads/collections-of-cognitive-dissonance.357292/page-5#post-17013206

And

http://smashboards.com/threads/collections-of-cognitive-dissonance.357292/page-4#post-17007619

^^ This one you actually just blew off:

Steve almost all of your last two post are totally fabricated. I don`t know how you expect me to answer you, while your misquoting or literally just creating things "Studstill said".

I was in the conversation with you.
Lets see here, I mainly want the last part answered:
Studstill, I guess the best way to explain this to you is, pretend I hired you and I am now your boss, and we are programming a smash remake. I give you a programming assignment and say to you, "Hey when ground hitboxes connect, I want moves that do 10% more damage to have priority over the others. Otherwise they clank". How would you write that first green section of the code differently?

so are you saying i fabricated the green section of the code? lets take a look:

This is the same thing, but in code form. I sent you the code form right after this and you had no objections.

So the last thing you could be accusing me of fabricating is that you call the priority rules "math"?
It is how you described it in a voice chat, and the lack of recordings is the reason why i told you im not going to do video / voice chats with you anymore. Closet evidence in writing i have is here:

Actually, I have evidence here that you do agree that there are "priority rules", so you should just give javi the $20 and end this thread.

That "yes" there, you are agreeing that the code section is the math behind the priority rules. Therefore you agree that there are in fact priority rules.
BUT I WOULD NEVER SHIRK A BET, AND IMPLYING SO IS ****ING DISRESPECTFUL,
especially in the manner of a petulant child. <--(ad hominem)
Now Prove it

Just so everyone knows, this is where studstill finally gave up and stopped trying to argue with me a few days ago:

you should still come to zenith btw

was i fabricating how math works?

All the basic theorems of mathematics up through the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus are proved from scratch on the user’s laptop in about two minutes every time the system loads
On a 2008 laptop, assuming 2GHz processor = 2 billion opeations per second, say 1% goes to the HOL lite program => 20 million operations per second for 120 seconds to prove everything. So as long as the fundamental theorm of calculus requires at least 0.25% of the the theorems proved in that time, (it most certainly does), then my estimate of 6 million logical operators is a lower bound lol.

http://www.ams.org/notices/200811/tx081101370p.pdf

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
but we`d be better served if Cobr got hit by a goddamn bus yesterday.
lols

see, this isn't something i care about responding to, cuz i don't get insulted by dumb things

you entered the community and immediately, within a week, criticized it. even after i spent hours upon hours trying to reconcile your own made up lingo/ideas with the community's, some of which are irrefutable (samus upb, different types of invincibility, combos vs high damage attacks, rolling and reading, traps, DI, z cancels, etcetc).

you remained persistent on hyrule and items and 7/99 stock matches. you can think whatever you want, rally to change ****, whatever. but when you say "the community has ****ed this game up," you really paint yourself in a bad way. people have been doing things in this community longer than both of us have been in it. you claimed to be better than multiple people on absolutely no grounds whatsoever. this is different from us judging your previous opponents, because, as stated, if we use YOU as the example of the pinnacle of skill - ie, you beat them all the time - then they must not be very good, because an overwhelmingly large number of people here beat you with ease.

but that you think you're more skilled than some, or on this other level of play than everyone else, is just silly, and it makes you look totally delusional and like a total scrub. countless amounts of players have come around and claimed to be incredible, and been stomped. mercilessly. kero was one of them, yeah? and look what he did. kept quiet until he could back his **** up and started to do work, put in training hours, improved his game.

you do not believe you can improve at this game, or that anything people tell you will make you better (see: kirby utilt x6 vs kirby utilt x2 -> usmash). so when i say, "hey you shouldn't roll so much, it makes you easy to read and vulnerable," you should say, "cool, thanks, i'll try to be more unpredictable and stop rolling as much because it's not a great movement option." not, "you people are weak to rolls, and i think the double roll is yadayadaydayadad." because after the 5th or 6th time of having to tell you something like that, it gets annoying. and then i will point it out in an insulting way because you aren't going to listen anyway (example: rotos with ybombb. every roll was read like a book, and you persisted).

when you say, "i know more about this game than most of you," "i've been playing since it came out," "you people think of moves in this bad way," "you people don't think in realtime, and i do," "skill recognizes skill, so i can understand what isai is doing," etcetcetc...it should be no surprise when nobody takes you seriously.

especially when you haven't displayed any kind of amazing skill. and i don't think you understand why you saying you "used to be boom level" is an insult to boom, nor why people find it absurd.

i also enjoy the generalization of me not being able to interact with people. i've said it before: i apparently only act jerky with people when i call them out on their bull**** or when they're being ludicrous (or if i think they're trolling). you fall into that category, and after my initial efforts of trying to be nice and helpful and not too much an asshole all failed, i stopped giving a damn.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
7. lastly, please make a list of players who you believe yourself to be better than. or, if it's easier, make a list of players who you believe to be better than you. this list will then be open for polite discussion and debate.
Studstill should do this so I can add it to the OP.

Lets try to deduce it:

All I know about how studdy views his own skill is that right before the last time we played online he said he thinks he is at least as good as me. I then proceeded to try new characters, only to lose one time with fox. By new characters I mean I was using keyboard and didnt try playing them yet lol. It was at least an hour of playing. Oh and I played him with fox more than once.

So
Studstill < Karajan (KB) < Karajan (Hori) <= Studstill​

He also thinks cobr is terrible, but i think cobr beats him at least 95% of the time
cobr < Studstill < Karajan (KB) < Karajan (Hori) <= Studstill < cobr

He was also hyping up zenith, saying he was getting his timing back, and something about "boom level"

cobr < Studstill = boom < Karajan (KB) < Karajan (Hori) <= Studstill = boom < cobr

He thinks he mostly goes even with sheer

So the studstill player tier list is:

S-Teir:
Cobr
Sheer
A-Tier:
Boom
Studstill
Karajan
B-Tier:
Karajan
C-Tier: