• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cold Con Smash 2

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO

Recent enforcements of college policy have changed this event from an exciting new frontier for West MI Smash to one less so, and it is important to take note of payout changes. The title of the tournament has been changed to reflect this.

I apologize for this inconvenience.

A lot of this text is shamelessly stolen off of Tech_Chase's other tournament threads.

:mario2:Location :mario2:

-West Shore Community College
-Administration and Conference Building
-3000 N. Stiles Rd.
-Scottville, MI, 49454​

:popo: Pricing and Payouts :popo:
Venue Fee: $7/$10 Entry*
Singles(Brawl/UMvC3): $5
Doubles(Brawl/Halo:Reach): $5 per player
*Single-Day badges are set up at $7, and a full Two-Day Convention badge is $10.
Bringing a full set up(TV/Wii/Game) will wave the venue fee

[COLLAPSE="Payout Information"]
DUE TO COLLEGE POLICY, THERE WILL BE NO PAYOUTS, RATHER THERE WILL BE GIFT CERTIFICATES FOR THE WINNERS.

IF FURTHER ISSUES ARISE IN POLICY, TOURNAMENT WILL BE DROPPED TO 'FREE' STATUS. PRIZES WILL REFLECT THIS CHANGE.
[/COLLAPSE]

:mario2:Smash Tournaments:mario2:
Sunday, February 19th
10:00 AM : Singles/Doubles Registration Starts
11:00 AM : Doubles Bracket starts at 11 AM
3:00 PM : Singles Pools begins
5:00 PM : Break for Dinner
6:00 PM : Singles Bracket begins

[COLLAPSE="Super Smash Brothers Brawl Rules and Regulations"]
To make this tournament as accessable to every Smasher as possible, we'll be abiding by the Unity Ruleset in it's most current form. That means Meta Knight is BANNED from Tournament play. Any other questions can be followed here: Unity Ruleset.
[COLLAPSE="General Smash Rules"]
1. 3 Stocks
2. 8 Minute Time Limit
3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
4. All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
5. There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 50 for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
6. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
7. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
9. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
* In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
* If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 18 is used for all characters.[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Extended Rules for Doubles Play"]
1. Team Attack set to "On"
2. Life stealing is allowed.
3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
4. In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
5. If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Set Procedure"]
1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 2-3-1 (Team 1 strikes two stages, followed by Team 2 striking three stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5. The first match is played.
6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
11. The next match is played.
12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

DETERMINING PLAYER PRIORITY

If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams agree to Rock-Paper-Scissors, otherwise it is determined with a coin-flip. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).[/COLLAPSE]
[/COLLAPSE]

:popo:UMVC3 Tournament:popo:
Saturday, February 18th
10:00 AM : Registration starts
11:00 AM : Tournament Bracket begins

[COLLAPSE="Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 rules"]
1. All characters allowed
2. Auto super-jump setting off
3. Double elimination format
4. 99 Seconds
5. Normal Damage
6. Sets will consist of games which are best of 3.
7. Each game will consist of rounds which are best of 3.
8. After a game has been won, the losing player may change their team after their opponent's decision to change following Smash Standard counterpicking.
9. All finals will be best of 5.
[/COLLAPSE]

:mario2:Halo: Reach Tournament:mario2:
Saturday, February 18th
10:00 AM : Registration starts
4:00 PM : Tournament Bracket Starts

[COLLAPSE="Halo:Reach 2v2 rules"]
1. 15 Kills
2. 10 minutes
3. Games will be best of 3.
4. All Finals(Winners, Losers, Grand) will be best of 5.
5. All stages not suited for 2v2 matchups(i.e. Boneyard, Spire, etc) is banned
6. A similar procedure ala Smash Brothers will be used to pick maps for maximum fairness.
7. Teammate swapping is not allowed once tournament has started.

[/COLLAPSE]

:popo:Rules of Conduct:popo:
[COLLAPSE="Don't Mess with these Rules."]
1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
2. Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
3. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
10. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
* Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
* The BBR-RC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
* Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
11. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organizer sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

UNITY RULESET INFRACTION SYSTEM

Players found in contempt of rules within the Unity Ruleset are subject to the Infraction System. This is a system where players can receive either a Yellow Card or a Red Card in a certain category by the members of the BBR-RC based on evidence and discussion.

CARDS

Yellow Cards are given for lesser offenses, or as warnings for larger ones. Players with a Yellow Card are under extra watch by tournament hosts for later offenses. If a player receives a Yellow Card in a category they already have an active one in, they will be given a Red Card for that category.

Red Cards are given for larger offenses, or by accumulating two active Yellow Cards in a single category. If a player has an active Red Card, they are unable to participate in any events hosted at a tournament using the Unity Ruleset.

Cards given to players will have a set expiration date determined on a case-by-case basis by the BBR-RC. Yellow Cards will typically carry longer active periods as a warning lasting approximately between one and twelve months. Red Cards typically carry lesser active periods lasting approximately between two and eight weeks, acting as a tournament ban. Expiration dates may be set differently depending on the severity of the infraction and repeated occurrence of them.

Cards are assigned a category when distributed based on the rule that was broken. Red Cards gained by accumulating two or more Yellow Cards only happens if the Yellow Cards are obtained in the same category. Categories also help represent the severity of a sentence, as some categories are more important than others. Categories will be decided on when the infraction is given by the BBR-RC. Some examples of categories (but not all of them) are listed below.

CATEGORIES

Bracket Manipulation: This category is for any offense that pertains to players modifying the outcome of a bracket based on factors such as (but not limited to) Prize Splitting, Intentional Forfeiting, Intentional Under-performance, and Outside Deals. This category may bring additional punishment immediately at the tournament by the Tournament Organizer such as being disqualified from the event or having your winnings forfeited to other placing players at the event.

Tournament Conduct: This category is for any offense that pertains to players acting out of line at tournaments. This includes factors such as (but not limited to) Fighting, Disruption, Theft, and Destruction of Property. This category may bring additional punishment immediately at the tournament by the Tournament Organizer such as being ejected from the venue.

DISTRIBUTION OF CARDS

* Everyone may view the status of all distributed cards including their category, expiration date, and assigned player in the following post: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost....08&postcount=4
* Cards will be assigned by the BBR-RC as a whole after discussion following the event in question. Cards may be assigned at any time.
* Cards do not have to be tied to a specific action at a specific event.
* Anyone is able to contact any member of the BBR-RC to suggest the distribution of a card, as well as provide evidence that may aid in the decision of the distribution.
* The BBR-RC may assign cards to players based on events not using the Unity Ruleset.
* All events using the Unity Ruleset must abide by the player blacklist formed by the Infraction System.
* Any host not using the Unity Ruleset in its entirety is still welcome to use the player blacklist if they choose.
* Any player who receives a card is more than welcome to contact any member of the BBR-RC with a counter argument for why they should have not received a certain card.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistants, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.[/COLLAPSE]

:mario2: Presiding Tournament Organizers :mario2:
:mario2: / :fox: Super/Miles - [removed]

I am looking for additional help to keep things up and running smoothly. If any other MI TO's are planning on attending and wish to help out, It'd be much appreciated.

:ganondorf:Housing:ganondorf:
While the Convention itself is still small, it is attempting to look at cheap hotel discounts for people who still travel out to it, but regardless if that makes it or not, I am opening up my doors to my East MI friends.

I have 3 available Queen size beds(two of which are air mattresses) and a lot of floorspace, including a couch on the 1st floor. That's seven available places(2 to a bed) for Smashers to sleep without resorting to the floor itself. There is additional room if any Smasher wanted to bring their own air mattress as well, and there is plenty of room on my floor for overflow. Furthermore, I'm open to housing everyone 2 days if any of you are interested in making it down Friday night.

:popo:Attendance List:popo:
1. SuperTH (Manistee)
2. Robjoe (Ludington)
3. Flan~ (Ludington)
4. rsr2 (Traverse City)
5. Captain Rainbows (T.C.)
6. Rainbow's girl. (T.C.)
7. Halluraka (T.C.)
8. Jawsome (Muskegon)
9. Red (Muskegon)
10. Ori_Bro (Sylvan Lake)
11. H3artle55 (T.C.)
12. Ginger Princess (T.C.)
13. Dakota (Muskegon)
14. Sarix (Grand Rapids)
15. Jtsm (Ypsilante)
16. Roller (Ann Arbor)
17. PzO (...I dunno.)
18. Lol_Cancel :yeahboi: (Rockford)
19. Legit(?) (Muskegon)

Last edited:

rsr2

Smash Lord
Hype and if the roads are fine, I am sure I can bring a group from Traverse to go.

D

Deleted member

I'd go if someone picked me up

Too far to drive

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Yoooo If I remember correctly, Halo and CoD were either doubles or 4v4 who wants to make a Smash team for it?

:yeahboi:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Hold up there's a Cod tourney too?
There was one last year, but we removed it from the list this year because it's a terrible tournament game in person - too many variables to keep under control, and last year was horrible. We've since been running Halo tournaments to test and they've been great fun - and a lot easier to set up and play.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
5 dollar entry, what a joke. how do you expect people out of state to attend?

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
5 dollar entry, what a joke. how do you expect people out of state to attend?
I'm entertained by the random negative reactions to every tournament I've attempted to run - including the $10 dollar entry ones.

I honestly am not expecting to draw on OoS support, but we're still in the early planning stage, and only Smashboards has been informed of the tournament at the moment(That will change tomorrow, though). I can see locals dropping into the tournament for a $5 fee, (as long as no one pulls a Roller).

I'm interested to see what everyone else has to say, and I'll bring it up at the next planning meeting with the rest of the Cold Con staff. Otherwise, if I don't see the support for it, I don't see why I should consider changing it for one OoS person who decided to call an attempt at cultivating a budding tournament scene a 'joke.'

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Also Miles can you push for no house cut? It hurt Sumer and I last time. Uhhhhhhhhhhhh also need to start planning our ride here as well.

Vaccine

Smash Journeyman
someone can ride with me as long as they dont mind riding brokeback with me on my mongoose lol. im so hyped for this halo reach tournament!!!

what r the legal maps for the halo reach part of the tournament? not like im picky or anything. i like all the maps! i just want to no so i can practice on those maps with my partner b4 the tournament.

r we allowed to use armor abilities at this tournament? if so which ones? im praying for armor lock lol that ones my favorite!!!

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Also Miles can you push for no house cut? It hurt Sumer and I last time. Uhhhhhhhhhhhh also need to start planning our ride here as well.
There will be absolutely no house cut anymore. It's under my jurisdiction and I've pretty much laid that clean.

someone can ride with me as long as they dont mind riding brokeback with me on my mongoose lol. im so hyped for this halo reach tournament!!!

what r the legal maps for the halo reach part of the tournament? not like im picky or anything. i like all the maps! i just want to no so i can practice on those maps with my partner b4 the tournament.

r we allowed to use armor abilities at this tournament? if so which ones? im praying for armor lock lol that ones my favorite!!!
Default settings, so if memory serves, yes, I believe Armor lock is part of the basic five loadouts.

the venue fee > entry fee....... Wow, just wow.

ONLY grand finals is best of 5 in umvc3? not winners or losers? kid, you got a lot of work to do.
The venue fee is for a convention, man, and there is nothing I can do about that. But hey, I brought up prices before, no one here jumped on it, and the finalization meeting on that price is Sunday. Get at me. Also, come dressed up in costume - I believe there's a fee reduction for that.

Oh, and I stole those from a ruleset, been meaning to actually clear those up and everything. As far as work, I just need to get down to editing through the details and finalizing everything, instead of the entire post being one big wall of plagiarism.

HugeChoch

Smash Rookie
Default settings, so if memory serves, yes, I believe Armor lock is part of the basic five loadouts.
This is ****ed. Why do noobs who don't play the game decide the settings? you want a reach tournament with people hiding around corners armor locking, YOU KNOW WHAT I TAKE IT BACK DEFAULT SETTINGS HALO REACH IS MORE THAN APPROPRIATE FOR A ****IN BRAWL TOURNEY YOU **********, BIRDS OF A **** FEATHER STAY TOGETHER

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
This is ****ed. Why do noobs who don't play the game decide the settings? you want a reach tournament with people hiding around corners armor locking, YOU KNOW WHAT I TAKE IT BACK DEFAULT SETTINGS HALO REACH IS MORE THAN APPROPRIATE FOR A ****IN BRAWL TOURNEY YOU **********, BIRDS OF A **** FEATHER STAY TOGETHER
Shots fired....? I'm disappointed that you couldn't be more civil about this. I'll look into more competitive rulesets, but overall I leave the settings in the hands of the local majority who comes to play normally.

HugeChoch

Smash Rookie
oh, fasho democracy nyukka. i would suggest mlg for it but that ****s boring too namsayin. halo reach is a cruel joke, make it an h3 tourney and im there :212: theres pokemon smilies thats ****ing sick as ****

Roller

Smash Legend
Double posting for bumping and to say that since RoS is looking less likely for MI, due to having to pay for transportation now; I may actually come to this.

Also, I vote for top 3 or 4 payout. I always find 5th place payouts for $5 locals kinda silly, the people usually don't even get their entrance fees back anyway. Top 3/4 just makes the payout numbers a little more legit. Fine to keep it that way if you prefer though, wont affect my attendance . Just giving my $0.02.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Updates:
Decided to keep all tournaments at $5 per person, updated with Two-Day badge information for people willing to show up both days. Fixed rulings on Halo and UMvC3. Payouts for all tourneys finalized.

MI Winter is hitting hard all of a sudden, but this is still a month out and things can easily change out here. February is usually when we get that unseasonably warm stretch, so keep this on your mind.

As for the convention space itself, we've got a room dedicated to straight up gaming this time around, and additional spaces for the Hi-Def tournaments. Not to mention that this year we're expecting a few more vendors and such to show up, and we're got another room next to ours that run a lot of Magic the Gathering tournaments.

Although I do have to note that there is no cross-registration - meaning that signing up for a Magic Tournament alongside a VG tournament is not allowed. Still, that should hardly be a problem for anyone here, but I thought I'd mention it.

Roller

Smash Legend
Do any of the MtG players out there play Legacy? May be time to brush off the old Ichorid and Affinity decks... Perhaps even TES. That is, if I'm feeling extra devious...

rsr2

Smash Lord
Do any of the MtG players out there play Legacy? May be time to brush off the old Ichorid and Affinity decks... Perhaps even TES. That is, if I'm feeling extra devious...
I have my Goblin Deck. I may purchase a couple Piledrivers there but I have everything else :D

and no it's no the cheapo goblin decks that every new player starts with like coat of arms and Goblin King.

Straight up Wasteland, Vials, piledrivers. The good stuff :D

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I.... you guys confuse me...

Anywho... From what it looks like, we have a Standard Tournament, a Draft Tournament with Innistrad and the new block, a sealed event, and an EDH tournament. It does not look like we're running a Legacy Constructed tournament.

I'll let you guys know if that changes, but the Sealed and the EDH, I believe, are on Sunday... but again, not entirely sure. I'll update the main post when I know for sure.

In other news, Cold Con vets will know of the on-site food table that ran last year, and while we are six miles from a large selection of fast food restaurants, it's nice to have food on location.
The menu at the table is as follows:
Sloppy Joes $2.00
Hot Dogs $1.50
Chips, Pop, Brownies, Popcorn, or Bottled Water $1.00
Mozzarella Cheese stick, Granola Bar, or Crackers $0.75
Cup of Coffee $0.25
Combos:
Hot Dog Combo is $2.50. (1 Hot Dog, Popcorn/Chips, drink)
Sloppy Joe Combo is $3.00 (Sloppy Joe, Popcorn/Chips, drink)
+For $0.50 you can add either 1 cheese stick, granola bar, or crackers to your combo.

Because food is good.

Top Bottom