• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CNU SMASH! - Next Biweekly TBA

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
lemme guess...o no mains ken and dragon spams??

or dudley and is actually pretty good
wow, totally wrong on both ends. and how the hell do you "dragon spam" ? that just sounds absurd.

regardless, we should play both ssbm AND 3s sometime. ive never played you in either. see if you guys can make it out here this weekend. or perhaps i should come up there sometime?

btw, i may actually be getting a 3s cab in my house soon due to a twist of fate. i will then be hosting tourneys on the cab. that will be pretty effing nice.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
The Introduction to Advanced Smash:

-Bill buys Super Smash Bros. Melee
-Bill discovers link's up-b and Roy's fsmash
-Bill uses these characters because his tactics are effective against Level 9's and all of his friends
-Bill gets ***** when his 3-yeah-old sister plays sheik -- this intrigues Bill
-Bill plays sheik
-Bill ***** his friends
-Bill thinks he's the ****
-Bill's sheik gets ***** by anyone not terrible at smash
-Bill realizes that he may actually need to predict his opponent and, when the time is right, manipulate them
-Bill stops using link and roy, but keeps sheik as a secondary
-Bill starts his journey to being not-terrible at smash.

KP, you're going backwards :p
why did it have to be Roy and Link? Why not Kirby or C. falcon?

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Because they're the most likely to be used by completely terrible people when those completely terrible people start playing smash.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
like my marth:)

total n00b material...except against space animals..i had at least 3 zero to deaths yesterday:)

but then i also got zero to deathed by mashi's fox one life:)

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ya you're right..i almost forgot..i did win..but i get confused as to which matches were friendlies and which were tourney..i counterpicked either FD, PS or corneria i'm sure
anyways i don't tend to remember my victories..just my losses;P you learn more from those

don't attempt to follow up a nair combo that has sent your opponent flying with some running move at the last moment or you will get upaired as the ganon falls and fly to your death:p

see i do remember important things:)

i didn't bother trying to play marth vs your ganon..i need like 4 or 5 hours with you to begin to understand that matchup:\

oh ok you banned corneria i remember:\

so that means i went FD/PS, it was probably fox-ganondorf..because i dont' remember anything about your falco:\

moreover you'd just beaten my fox so there was less cause to switch

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
dude, Marth owns me. him and falcon are my worst match-ups. but no one feels comfortable enough to pick those characters against me!?!?!

oh well, people can pick fox, falco, sheik all they want. It won't help them win, I have so much top tier training.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ya falcon *****..nair beats all of ganon's moves..i have no clue what to do in the matchup but i'm sure it's a good one:)

as for marth..meh...ganon ***** marth..it's just ether ****** you, not the characters;P

though honestly i find that my marth has trouble against all new matchups (other than fastfaller + sheik + jiggs)

i think fox does better whenever i have to play some new matchup..

but ya, people should avoid falco/jiggs around me...everyone else i have decent trouble with...kits's fox gave me a lot of trouble on FoD..i would have lost but got two nice, quick gimps on the last life

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
brinstar- sheik needle camp....else fox or marth..doesnt' matter which..both **** jiggs...fox requires no laser mishaps though just like vs ganon..so if i am playing bad i go marth....i have to go fox though on weird counterpicks

my falco may be tournament worthy, but he's not better than my fox usually...just less technical..i considered going him when i lost with fox but it was battlefield so i decided to try falcon instead..

i like to go falco against non-top tiers because they can't do anything about the lasers..that's about it though...since i miss waveshines a lot i think next time i may try him some against russ's peach and such...shine combos are so much easier to do technically than waveshines:\

oh vs sheik players..i go fox and if i lose i go falco..that's the only real reason i keep him around

i don't think about things usually int erms of tournament worthy..it's more like matchup worthy

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
ah KP- i need toplay your fox/marth more- i think your marth was off when i played you >_>
and i need to learn to fox ditto, my yoshi prob does better vs fox than my fox does =\

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
meh my marth wasn't off..i'm not going to john like that..i just don't have a set strategy against foxes like i do falcos so it's harder...though it's a tad easier on FD if i get my grab game working..but in general i need to work on getting grabbed less by foxes...more dtilt and aerialling out of range when i see the fox attempt a ground game

but ya...my rule of thumb is..no one is allowed to john except foxes who mess waveshines up

but even then you could argue they just need to increase their consistency..i got about 45% of the waveshine combos i went for yesterday...not very good percents at all:\ but it ahppens...some matches i was on and ***** with the waveshines...other times i was ***** by missing it

such is life

but i mean really...hte only thing a marth could have to john about is missing chaingrabs...and i didn't mess up that bad except in our first match..i picked it up pretty quick

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
KP its still not fair you forcing Your Roomate to pick up Roy and Link..

Also KP I love fighting Marth's with my Roy Cause i love Showing that Roy and Marth have a pretty even match-up And Roy is A Very interesting person to use.it all depends on the Player's which in case My roy and Your marth are pretty Equal. I still need to fight Ether, FATS, And O-no.

I need a Roy vs Your Fox or falco
And my IC's Vs Your sheik..

So how is your Friend Doing with Roy?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
roy/marth are not equal at all..me not knowing the matchup is not the same as the two being equal..anyone can just analyse their movesets and available options and easily realize the two are not equal...wth

and MM honestly..i despise it when people take casuals so seriously. i lost two MM at oh-no's, but i wasn't scared to back up my words with money..

roy is not equal to marth...never has been, never will be..but roy can beat an overaggressive marth who runs in and gets CC to death as you proved quite nicely

and i let my friend drop roy because i thought it more important that i get peach practice

anyways, i am still up for MM, best of 7 my marth your roy 5 dollars..or best of 7 any char, 5-40 dollars.

rhan

Smash Hero
ooooooooooo PTZR vs KP! Who will win?! Place your bets here! *puts all his money on KP* ^-^

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
gah it's driving me crazy..why cna't i remember who rhan is?

young link player....maybe? that's what his avatar is..or is he mindgaming me...

lol it just occurred to me..if i bet against you rhan i can hedge my bets and no longer will have to worry about losing:p

rhan

Smash Hero
lol I dont think we met. But anyways yea Young Link is all me baby! But i might swing into another direction with maybe Samus, Kirby or Pichu. Eh what ever floats my boat that day. XD

Next time you and PTZR meet up, I got to be there for sure.

rhan

Smash Hero
Eh I watch too many t!mmy/t0mmy videos, and I decided to pick up on them.

The low tiers shall rise! XD

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Eh I watch too many t!mmy/t0mmy videos, and I decided to pick up on them.

The low tiers shall rise! XD
If you can't win with high tiers, low tiers are a terrible idea.

Anywho, beach trip this Sunday, HomeGrown this Saturday, so unless someone wants to play at unusual hours, smash may be out of the question this weekend.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
I disagree with what schoolie said, "if you can't win with high tiers, then don't work on your low tiers" - or something (I'm fully aware I can quote, *******)
besides man, you play jiggs and use bowser as a back up?! I know its what chu said originally but whatever.

Ether!!! let's play soon. you've been out of the loop, but russ told me he smashes with you?! its not fair.

also, it took me a little while to even get cow's joke. you are a sick, twisted person you know that right?

edit - woah the whole word for jackazz is censored, that's weird

Cow

Smash Apprentice
I disagree with what schoolie said, "if you can't win with high tiers, then don't work on your low tiers" - or something (I'm fully aware I can quote, *******)
besides man, you play jiggs and use bowser as a back up?! I know its what chu said originally but whatever.

Ether!!! let's play soon. you've been out of the loop, but russ told me he smashes with you?! its not fair.

also, it took me a little while to even get cow's joke. you are a sick, twisted person you know that right?

edit - woah the whole word for jackazz is censored, that's weird
sick and twisted? noted. Wait, did you misinterpret my ham?

and i shouldn't be contributing to offtopic conversation after my previous post, but i do think its sort of relevant to sova particularly -- Ultimately you should be playing the characters you have fun with, playing the way you have most fun. But going around I see a lot of bad reasons for playing low tier characters. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, these are just things i've seen over the years, and some i'm actually guilty of in the past myself.
- "I can't win with good characters, but if I do well with bad characters, It's a personal victory!" F that noise. I don't care if you're the best [insert low tier character] on the east coast, if you can't place in even the tiniest of tournaments it doesn't mean squat.
- "I'll catch people off guard by playing a weird character, and they won't know what to do!" If I don't figure you out within a minute and 3 stock you, like will probably be the case, i can switch to sheik. And so can everyone else.
- "Everyone plays high tiers, i want to stand out!" It's kind of understandable, but you have to realize you're applying Indie Complex to a competitive fighting game. Yes, there will always be a few exceptions, but there's a reason those few characters dominate tournaments time and time again. You're to smash bros. what that guy who only likes bands if you haven't heard of them is to music. You may discover something cool and new, but we all still pretty much hate you.
- "I'm going to make (character) high tier!" No. You're not. Tons of people play this game, and whether or not you know anyone personally who plays your character, there are lots of others who do in fact play that character. Statistically, the chances of you revolutionizing Pichu are incredibly slim. And if you DID in fact have that ability, you'd probably at least have a half decent fox. But you don't. Do you.

again, I really don't have anyone in mind when i list these. If you take them personally, I guess thats your prerogative, but I'd suggest you further reevaluate your beast of burden's urgency.

Ether

Smash Ace
Great post, Cow. I agree with all of that. I play Marth and Fox mostly cuz they're fun to me, but a lot of people don't know that I also really like to play Peach, Falcon, and Roy, even if I don't win.

Fats, Yeah, I'm trying to cut back on playing smash and focus on other stuff, but I'd love to play and stuff. Hey, good job winning that tourney recently. I was rooting for you winning this past one, too.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
yeah I could've used some one rooting for me in the loser's bracket. I guess I am kinda a dicck but whatever. I always say good game after and pound my opponent after they win or lose.

Tope was rooting against me this tourny, either because I beat isra, or because he was scared of me.

I guess I just need to dowb more and I'll place higher. I love that move.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
new players have such bad spacing, bad habits, fear of being close to their opponent, and misuse of moves....playing low tier exacerbates things usually:(

you should play low tier only for the purpose of understanding how that char plays i think...or improving upon particular skills, i.e. CC, aerial spacing, WD from shield (M2!!!), etc.

however, unfortunately there are too many players who really should try playing low tier for other reasons...nothing like being limited to 2-3 useful moves to force you back to basics; as opposed to using all of marth/fox's moves incorrectly..

though honestly nair spam with fox is pretty good:)

however, there are obviously more fundamental issues of reading/movement when i can almost beat someone's falcon playing peach while only dash attacking and dsmashing *coughs*

oh and fats, i would root for you but everytime i watch you play i think about how much i hate fox vs ganon and having to play a boring camp game and pray taht i don't mess up a laser, and then i start praying that you lose;P

maybe if i get good at falcon ganon or peach ganon then maybe it would be interesting and i wouldn't dread playing you as much

even marth looks like a really fun matchup..just not one i'm likely to win

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Juan. Those matches at Otis's left me thirsty for vengeance. It was also a good wakeup call. It highlighted a lot of patterns that I would fall in and it made me realize I have to start thinking wayyy more like I used to.

I lost the habit of watching my opponent and picking up on his habits [I realized a day or two later that I missed every amazing opportunity you gave me to grab you, and I had stupidly attacked instead].

Kudos on breaking my spirit.

Actually, I think paying tuition at CNU comes with a complimentary guidebook on the many ways to make toasty squander and suffer. Everything from Johxn's Pound-happy Puff, that my G&W couldn't help but hate, to FATS and SPD having the remarkable ability to take my stocks off the screen by doing nothing but watch me SD in tournament ;__;.

Schoolie...I need more training for Ness Vs. Bowser. It makes me better and it secretly makes me believe it gives you a better Bowser haha. I HAVE to beat DJ Nintendo ^_^ Also...I will make sure that my button input is perfect so that the next time I upB to the edge...I actually do it, instead of side-B-ing right onto the stage where I lose 3 stocks at a time due to landing lag.

CNU has gotten so much better. Maybe we could do another ODU - CNU crew battle? loll jk. no more of those shenanigans. that place got wayyyyy too hot. I just hope to play you al more often and I was happy to see continue to show up at tournaments.

You're part of the reason SoVa still has a "scene" [you missed its death early last fall...the one where only 6 people wanted to enter in a singles tournament that Richmond came down for during a weekend-long fest.]

Hope to play everyone again soon :)

Top Bottom