• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CNU SMASH! - Next Biweekly TBA

Ether

Smash Ace
I don't mind doing it for money myself but i do feel like the less skilled players at WM would probably prefer no money on the line. I already pay so much on gas that it doesn't really matter..well alex and I rather..speaking of which i may still owe him money for gas? sigh i don't remember now...did i pay him or not? id on't think so:(
That makes sense. These don't have to be for money. Having entry fees be optional sounds fine to me.

it just seemed like they didn't play many matches...i felt kinda bad hogging tvs when some people weren't getting to play.. so while i don't mind friendlies, we need more setups if we're going to do it..otherwise some people end up sitting around...though i'm more guilty than most, what with trying to play every new player there as well as get a few matches against any demigods i could find (trey and ether)..but ya...i definitely saw people sitting around and not playing for like an hour while the same people would switch in and out.
Sorry if I hogged any tvs; I can't remember. But even if I did, I was training, so it was worth it.

On the other hand i got the feeling some people were afraid to play me...dear people..if you think that i will destroy you it's quite simple to ask that i play low tier or something
I know what you mean.

in summary..i don't care for random doubles..i'd prefer teams that we actually made..that way WM could work on their teams game, but at the same time i kinda understand how people feel the teams wouldn't be fair otherwise...i'd just prefer to seed the tournaments accurately so teams are close to each other in skill...yes that makes things inaccurate placement wise if you reverse seed the tournament..but it's not for money anyways...i don't mind going out to ether in first rounds..it's better than having some newer player have to go in and feel like they can't move...oh wait..that's how i feel anyways..

ya and i agree about the open calling of advice thing..it really irks me to see blatant errors and be unable to say anything..but at the same time..sometimes the player wouldn't be able to fix it anyways
It wasn't until recently (say, the past year) that I even started playing teams, so I'm trying to learn teams, too. So it's kind of frustrating to not be able to practice with someone near my skill level that I can work with in combos and not have to worry about protecting the whole match. I like random doubles, but I need to get better practice for the people I plan on playing. I go to these events to get better, too. And more setups will solve this problem with more friendlies, so we can do both kinds of doubles.

yeah, random doubles was alright for the first week

now it seems that it's just gotten kinda lame, especially with all this talk of how broken lvl 9 ganon is., hahaha (Just charge smash attacks)
Level 9 Ganon ***** me.

Alright, so i'm getting kind of sick of all yalls complaining. I'd like to point out that CNU was the originator of the tourney idea so we could all get a little better at competitive play, with no money. I understand that things cost money, and driving sucks around here and all, but personally i am not willing to pay knowing i'm going to lose that money fast, it serves as no incentive to get better if i'm still going to lose that money. I agree that friendlies are better, but people still sandbag in friendlies, and some people get hogged. If you want to hold friendlies, why don't you come up with the idea of how to sort it all out. Also bring yer own stuffs is you want more set-ups/seats/whatever. Don't get mad at us because we were rushed and were forced to use a laggy t.v. Sorry about the rant, it's just its a god**** video game, meant to provide pleasure and enjoyment for all. Again sorry for the rant, and the next CNU friendlie tourney is in a few weeks.

edit: also, inorder to start on time, people need to show up on time. I know people work and whatnot, and if you're not going to make it on time, or are stuck in traffic, freaking call so we can plan around it and not sit around waiting for a few people.
Sorry I was late. Feel free to start without me. I don't have a phone. I'm just as broke, if not more broke (read: credit card debt/student loans) than everyone in SoVa. I mean, we're not just complaining and walking off and expecting things to be better in two weeks. Pretty much all I said was I want to play certain people and I want to team with certain people, so I'm going to bring my own setup so I can accomplish that. Honestly, I am more interested in playing people close to my skill level than participating in shenanigan tourneys, but I do understand that they are fun. Still, the idea that the CNU smash community is trying to get better while adopting a lackadaisical attitude is conflicting. You said CNU is trying to get a little better at smash. How much better? Are you trying to be best in your school, your area, your state, or what? Will you settle for just learning how to play competitively and enjoy the game at that level with each other? All of that is fine; I'm definitely not saying that everyone who plays this game should be amazing. But I know there are some smashers at CNU, W&M, ODU, PoVa, and VaBeach that have something in their souls that commands them to pursue a level of competitiveness and skill that is imperceivable by other smashers in SoVa. These are the smashers who say, "What do I have to do to be the best in the world?" Finding that mindset is more important toward a smasher's training than any amount of friendlies OR tournaments.

When I first started playing competitively, I noticed that there was a group of people who had the mindset that pros were untouchable, and you could never beat them. I chose not to be a part of that group. I've noticed several people who come to these biweeklies that choose not to belong to that group, and these are the people I want to play. When I bring my setup next time, I'm going to focus on playing them.

Sorry for the essay. I hope I inspired at least one person for every 10 that I just pissed off.

ajphctp46

Smash Apprentice
I don't mind doing it for money myself but i do feel like the less skilled players at WM would probably prefer no money on the line. I already pay so much on gas that it doesn't really matter..well alex and I rather..speaking of which i may still owe him money for gas? sigh i don't remember now...did i pay him or not? id on't think so:(
Yes, you still owe me gas money, but if you drive next time, it's all good.

Motion to change the CNU Bi-Weeklies to Smashfests with side tourneys?
That's basically what they are now. Calling it a tournament is a bit of a misnomer. Run optional random doubles on two tvs, and keep the rest reserved for friendlies. If there's interest in other things, then run them as well, but really the best thing would be to group people by skill and have TVs where winner stays and everyone in the group just keeps playing.

I.E. Pools.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
When I bring my setup next time, I'm going to focus on playing them.

Sorry for the essay. I hope I inspired at least one person for every 10 that I just pissed off.
=D yesss!
I'll bring a setup again as well. And Ether, if we end up teaming, remember that, when used appropriately, having my Pikachu on your team, yours in particular, equals having your own personal assist trophy, like it was MARVEL or some ****, B! The one time when we applied that mindset, magic happened. Also, after a million team friendlies at C3 with Geos, I've learned that my Fox is a beast on teams. I'll do what I can to be your SoVa Cyrain in teams haha ^_^

Schoolie, those matches we discussed? man...can't wait to get them recorded.

OH YEAH! I'll be recording matches. Now that I've realized that the lower quality functions on my recording software are actually not that bad, it'll be infinitely easier to upload everything.
^something on the line, for those who need it. =D

Malco!!!

Smash Apprentice
I had so much fun and met so many new people it was great!

Besides me getting in trouble and my car taken away and not being able to go back to CNU for a long long time.....but I feel like it was worth it. :chuckle:

Kukulza

Smash Apprentice
I couldnt be there this weekend but im all for this friendly intensive thing. I noticed that at the biweeklies i had the most fun playing with like toasty, ivar, etc. learning match ups and how other people play rather than just getting my *** kicked and having to wait around watching others.

Mjolnir

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else find it hilarious that Ike's, the so far only fire emblem character in brawl, final smash is Great aEther? hehe, just would like to point that out. When i first saw it i thought "wow, so even the game designers know how good Ether/SoVa is." I find it quite fitting. Props to ether, the only semi-pro to get TWO moves named after him

jhoxn

Smash Cadet
Motion to change the CNU Bi-Weeklies to Smashfests with side tourneys?
I'm actually working on a way that we can maximize the possible outcome of friendlies to actual tournament play for the next get together.

I know a lot of people are upset at the lack of friendlies we had and some other things, so I'm really trying hard to figure all this stuff out. It's truly a bit more difficult than it seems to get together everything for the tournament, especially with both the ODU and W&M communities coming to join us now and again. We really enjoy having you guys come down, as it adds a certain "flavor" to our usual routine.

One possible suggestion was created a few minutes ago, and I would love input into this, since the club was made for the smashers at heart:

() Hold all tourneys, money matches, and serious play in the beginner's room (which would become the tourney room if the change is made) since there is less distraction and most likely less play needed.

() Have all friendlies be held in the multi-purpose room, and all other things (such as beginner's matches and what not). If we have this happen, then beginners will be able to watch and play some of the matches and learn from the more experienced players. I found this a problem with some of the more novice players, who really wanted to play with more powerful people. Heck, maybe some of you will gain an "apprentice" haha :laugh:.

It's just a suggestion, but I would ask that people give us some input. The next tourney won't be for awhile, seeing as Thanksgiving break for us is next week. But I will inform Dee when we have confirmed the next tourney. That way he can let everyone in the smash community know about it.

Otherwise, I really hope we can get rid of the slightly negative feeling lingering around these posts and get back to playing something we all love, Smash.

^_^
John

Edit: Also, we're trying to think of something special we can do for the next tourney, (like the random singles we did for Saturday's event). If you have any ideas, let us know.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
I think I need to beat ether's marth after my M2K training. but your sheik was fun too

hmmmmm, maybe a mid week session sometime. Toasty wants to record more sets as well.

what do you say ODU, Fats may have to make a roadtrip (30 min) to get some recorded sets.

thursday's my best day, but we'll collaborate about it later. Toasty just get back to me, and Ether, you better step your game up =) I want blood

toasty

Smash Hero
() Hold all tourneys, money matches, and serious play in the beginner's room (which would become the tourney room if the change is made) since there is less distraction and most likely less play needed.

() Have all friendlies be held in the multi-purpose room, and all other things (such as beginner's matches and what not). If we have this happen, then beginners will be able to watch and play some of the matches and learn from the more experienced players. I found this a problem with some of the more novice players, who really wanted to play with more powerful people. Heck, maybe some of you will gain an "apprentice" haha :laugh:.
I was really hoping someone at CNU would make that suggestion!!! I didn't want to impose more than I feel like I already have :(

Also: Fats...I'll try and get a suitable place to do this as Thursday is also a good day for me.
Man...I really need to train my Peach and Sheik. Yeah, that's right. Those two *****es. =D

Schoolie: revenge will be mine!!! YOU WILL FEEL THE TOASTY TUNNEL OF TERROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
I was really hoping someone at CNU would make that suggestion!!! I didn't want to impose more than I feel like I already have :(

Also: Fats...I'll try and get a suitable place to do this as Thursday is also a good day for me.
Man...I really need to train my Peach and Sheik. Yeah, that's right. Those two *****es. =D

Schoolie: revenge will be mine!!! YOU WILL FEEL THE TOASTY TUNNEL OF TERROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why are you tryin to train up those characters?

I've played so many of them they are like my best match-ups lol

well, sheik is my best and worst match-up to this day.

KitsuneKing

Smash Journeyman
time for the longest post i will ever make.

How about maybe.. once a month or something.. have a money tournament or something? i have no clue what the situation is concerning the room that you use for smash but i dont think you guys have to pay to rent it out? SO maybe like.. $5 for singles and $5 for teams. no random, straight standard tournament play. so in the end, it'd cost 10 bucks for entering both. that's hella cheap for a tournament, and i know **** well no one in this area is that poor. so maybe for a day.. think twice about eating that mcdonalds or chik-fil-a meal and just be like.. "hey i can play in a smash tournament with this money."

Competitiveness makes a stronger community as well. Scared or discouraged from getting ***** by Ether/O-NO/Schoolie/Me/etc.? well crap, nobody likes losing, neither did we. wins aren't everything, losing IMO is more beneficial than winning. after you lose, just dont roll up your controller and leave. maybe take a minute and ask who you played, what your faults were. we've all been in your shoes, and for those who've been playing longer in this area.. it was so gay.. imagine being super suck sauce noob and the only people you could play were your friends or otis/cstick. Now, SoVa's quadtripledouble'd in size so there's more variety in players and more styles to learn from. Look at NoVa, they have some of the best people in the WORLD, yet it doesn't stop other people who know they're not as good.. to compete with them, and they pay 10-20 bucks per tournament. jeez even noobs from Game-On are willing to shell out for a wtf elimination team tournament, on laggy t.v.'s but when people play a decent quality one here, they're scared to drop 5. wow, gg guys.

Personally, i play this game to see how far i can push myself. so i am willing to do whatever it takes to try and be the best, this is what makes the game fun for me.

Arsenal Russell

Smash Cadet
time for the longest post i will ever make.

How about maybe.. once a month or something.. have a money tournament or something? i have no clue what the situation is concerning the room that you use for smash but i dont think you guys have to pay to rent it out? SO maybe like.. $5 for singles and $5 for teams. no random, straight standard tournament play. so in the end, it'd cost 10 bucks for entering both. that's hella cheap for a tournament, and i know **** well no one in this area is that poor. so maybe for a day.. think twice about eating that mcdonalds or chik-fil-a meal and just be like.. "hey i can play in a smash tournament with this money."

Competitiveness makes a stronger community as well. Scared or discouraged from getting ***** by Ether/O-NO/Schoolie/Me/etc.? well crap, nobody likes losing, neither did we. wins aren't everything, losing IMO is more beneficial than winning. after you lose, just dont roll up your controller and leave. maybe take a minute and ask who you played, what your faults were. we've all been in your shoes, and for those who've been playing longer in this area.. it was so gay.. imagine being super suck sauce noob and the only people you could play were your friends or otis/cstick. Now, SoVa's quadtripledouble'd in size so there's more variety in players and more styles to learn from. Look at NoVa, they have some of the best people in the WORLD, yet it doesn't stop other people who know they're not as good.. to compete with them, and they pay 10-20 bucks per tournament. jeez even noobs from Game-On are willing to shell out for a wtf elimination team tournament, on laggy t.v.'s but when people play a decent quality one here, they're scared to drop 5. wow, gg guys.

Personally, i play this game to see how far i can push myself. so i am willing to do whatever it takes to try and be the best, this is what makes the game fun for me.

good **** kitsune. i agree with basically everything youve said and its true bout the benefits of losing. we should try the money singles or doubles maybe once every month and making sure that its scheduled at the beginning of each month so people can work it into their paychecks/tips. the competitiveness will grow alot more from this and more and more people are popping up throughout the sova area that are willing to pay to play/gain experience. just the other day at the mall me and riku ran into 2 guys in THAT 2 minutes wanted to come and go to cnu with us. they wouldntve minded playing in some money tournaments and really wanna get into the smash community that is sova. They ended up playing in random character tournament that didnt really help them much and they sat around the rest of the time cuz no friendly t.v.s were going on. the change you suggested is really good imho i just hope that everyone will agree with it.

TOASTY- u need to get some sets in with me for some peach dittos or peach VS sheik i dont have that much experience in those areas except against Doll

Poehlcat

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I couldn't make it this Saturday. I really want to play a lot more with you guys who are better than me (Ether, Josh, O-NO, etc.) I would enjoy losing to you people. My Falco could use a lot of advice.

I like the idea of tournaments ($) in a separate room from friendlies. If you don't want to pay, don't enter and go play some friendlies. Simple as that. I'd also be up for having another one again this weekend, but I missed this one so it will have been three weeks without a smashfest for me :).

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
lol, he's kinda right..i almost judge the skill of a falco by how many grabs they use...lack of grabs = asking to be light shield grabbed to chain grab death a lot

Ether

Smash Ace
toasty - I can't wait to team with you

Kitsune - I honestly believe that you and me on teams as Fox/Falco would be the most devastating thing to hit SoVa since Richmond. 1 v 1s with you is fun because you are so good, I never sandbag.

FATS - I can't play any day this week except Sunday, cuz I work 12-8pm every day, or I go to school. But the next time we meet will be amazing, hopefully.

--wtf late shoutouts--

XLAX - Man, it is so fun to play you!!!!! I wish you didn't have to leave so soon. Same for FATS.

Russ - Your Peach is really good. Lol @ the Japes.... I was amazing there. I hope you didn't get in too much trouble for being late. Let's team!

Actually, can anyone think of what the best team combination could be in SoVa? I'm thinking Ether/Schoolie or Ether/Kitsune, but Schoolie/Kitsune might be pretty beast.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
shrugs..it might work...jiggs can dodge lasers better than most..just him punish high while falco locks down low with lasers...not to mention jiggs is one of the few characters who might be able to save falco's garbage recovery

smash notes: DtDFWDB
find out what good percentages are for dash attack out of fthrow on floaties

Ether

Smash Ace
screw fthrow -> dash attack on floaties.

fthrow -> WD -> fsmash is where it's at, lol

but if the DI away from Marth's fthrow, THEN you dash attack

if they DI toward Marth, shffl a nair -> ****

upward DI may mean a tipper or at least a juggle from uairs and fairs.

no DI or downward DI: your choice of either ken combo or WD -> fsmash

M3RC

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I couldn't make it this Saturday. I really want to play a lot more with you guys who are better than me (Ether, Josh, O-NO, etc.) I would enjoy losing to you people. My Falco could use a lot of advice.

I like the idea of tournaments ($) in a separate room from friendlies. If you don't want to pay, don't enter and go play some friendlies. Simple as that. I'd also be up for having another one again this weekend, but I missed this one so it will have been three weeks without a smashfest for me :).
Double post but is there another Josh i'm not aware of?

Arsenal Russell

Smash Cadet
haha yeah we should get some sets and team sets in. im tryin to work on my fox game cuz the sheik matchup with peach is annoyin against a good camping sheik. IMO i think the best team up would be between kitsune+schoolie. jiggs usually stays in air and can take a bad shot from falco and still have its air game. they work great on most platforms due to jiggs being able to duck while falco spams shl. plus they can save each other while the other ones falling-(jiggs=upair or nair to knock falco into recovery range or falco with a shine when the jiggs is below the stage-which rarely ever happens)

X-Lax

Smash Rookie
ether, **** fun playin you too man... i need to practice and i'll give you a run for your money

sorry bout leavin early, i'll try to make more time next time

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Ether+Schoolie beat Doug+Isra/Cyrain and SavEdge+Doll back at Epic Madness 3 without ever losing a single set all night? I rest my case.

... but something about kitsune's lasers... lasergrab - rest perhaps?

Ether

Smash Ace
Didn't Ether+Schoolie beat Doug+Isra/Cyrain and SavEdge+Doll back at Epic Madness 3 without ever losing a single set all night? I rest my case.

... but something about kitsune's lasers... lasergrab - rest perhaps?
We did? Are we that amazing?

ether+schoolie vs ether+kitsune

lets go :)
I can do that. Let me use ports 3 and 4 for controllers, and I'll switch back and forth throughout the match, KDJ style.

toasty

Smash Hero
Fats: jk about Sheik...though entirely too serious about Peach. I'm really loving that *****. Me and Billy were doing some epic Peach dittos on FD today [10 stocks just to make it more for training than winning]...Israfel was right: SO INTENSE.

Cow: I challenge thee! Are you free Thursday? Peach dittos and Ness Vs. Peach.

Schoolie: Thursday = toasty's Revenge. **** that demigod bull****, Josh doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. ^_~ I'ma try to play my best. Friday was a great exhibition ;)

Ether: Pop. ****ing. Tart.

Russsssss!!! Peach dittos and Ness Vs. Peach next time we meet.

Kits: I can't wait to scream on Thursday about how you was POPPIN SOME OF THAT GOOD **** A SECOND AGO, AND THEN YOU GOT KICKED IN YO CHEST!

Josh: it's going down next time we play. My personal aim will be to take all of your stocks at no more than 28% damage ^_^

Pikachu: you're effing trash. get better at this game.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Toasty bring that low-tier ****. Record everything! I'm out of class by 3:45 on thursday, we'll play then.

Besides, gotta test my new and improved counterpick, whatchu know about that dk64? ;)

Top Bottom