• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CNU SMASH! - Next Biweekly TBA

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Ok it's morning. First off, thanks to everyone for coming out. We were a little worried about the attendence with C3 going on, but apparently there was nothing to worry about. Sorry about the lackluster performance from my bowser, I guess I was in super-jigs mode... explaining the down-b kills with bowser :p

Ether- FREE PIZZA! Kinda sucks that EVERYONE grabbed that **** the second it went out... and then we never had time to sit down and show everyone why our team name is purely the fact that we **** people. Sucks you hadta leave early, and sucks worse that i undid everything you did in crews +2 stocks... but nice trash talk (2-hit combo!).

Knightpraetor- Josh, once you figure out all 2 of my mindgames, I'm gonna be completely boned. Congrats on 3-4 stocking mostly everyone there, they weren't ready for those w&m combos, well done.

Rus- This was the first time we'd played an actual single and MAN did I hate it. Your spacing is pretty sweet, I definitely can't wait to get more matches with you.

Malco- One of the few efficient falco teammates I've ever played with. We were almost undefeated, my bad on that :p. That falco is solid man, but he's one of my favorite matchups so I just couldn't resist ultra-gimping. Come to the next one, we'll play more.

J Da King- I love that tag XD. Nice fox, why can everyone double laser except me? Thanks for all the matches, fox/marth is my worst matchup, so any time I play a fox (or a peach), I go straight up gay with rest. Thanks for all the matches, good **** in crews man.

BATS!- Another killer tag. Great peach, did you and Rus get together before the tourney and decide "hey, lets play completely different from how most peaches play"? Thanks for the bowser matches, they're really the most satisfying games for me. Come back to the next one :)

Sanchez- F#CKING MINDGAMES! This doesn't even require a shoutout, I hate your beautiful, technical, depth-intensive samus with her dumb combos that never look like they'll work yet always do. Grapple-fair-up b?? Who does that? Good **** man, definitely some of the most fun matches I've had in awhile.

I know I played more people than this, not counting the cnu regulars, but nice job everyone. Can't wait for Round 6 :)

Ether

Smash Ace
Honestly, when I go to CNU, I want a massive amount of friendlies. It's pointless to run a tournament, since no money is at stake. It's like, I've been to CNU twice and I still haven't gotten to do what I wanted to do most, and that's team with Schoolie against anyone.

I was able to sit down and have small training sessions with the people who asked for them. I really think these biweeklies have the potential to be good practice for everyone, so I guess I'm really voting for making these events centered more around friendlies with side tourneys. Like, the random singles tourney was even supposed to be a side tourney on like 1 t.v.

On a lighter note, trash talking was fun, and I plan on doing it more XD Just don't choke cord me

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
CNU SMASH TOO GOOD!!!!!!!!

Schoolie-What the fack is the matter with that that jigglypuff? Seriously? It was al.ike a beautifully ochestrated seizure of the c-stick. Good **** man, but I want that Bowser.

Ether-Leaving all early and ****. haha, nice G&W ditto. We should play more of those so we can both get better at it.

Russ-We won the winners bracket with a facking Game and Watch. Good **** man, we need to team more often. I think I'll call us Team Spectacular with a side of Game and Watch.

RiKu-I want that Sheik next time. You're too good, and I want a peice.

Thor-I want an IC ditto because they are just too fun.

V-Always beating me. We should team sometime, because my Game and Watch ***** in teams.

Everyone else-You win at life.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Ether, the next Bi-Weekly, there WILL be a TV reserved just for our doubles matches; we will not be screwed out of a tv because of an overdone side-tourney. Others can come and challenge us, or people can accept our challenges. Perhaps this time, people were just too afraid of our skills...

Ether

Smash Ace
I'm bringing my tv and a cube, so we'll even have a tv for singles friendlies. And I agree, I think people are just too afraid of our skills.

Our team name should be: "Mad Skillz."

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
lol, ya that sounds good...i wish someone had mentioned the tv need..i could have brought a couple setups..though this coming week i won't be around..have a retreat i'm going on..

ya, and your two mind games are as follows:

"haha you better run i'm going to rest you"

and "you think you know your spacing don't you marthie"

it's not really possible to figure out that kinda mindgame..it's lightyears beyond anything i've designed.

ether, good stuff...you pretty much tore up everyone here..i learned a lot watching your matches..though i realize that i really should watch your matchup on youtube vs schoolie a little better..maybe i can learn something...

the thing is, i keep forgetting to bait much or use much in the way of mindgames vs schoolie's jiggs..he can pressure me with those bairs and then i'm just fighting for space when i get out...ah who am i kidding..i have no mind games against good players..i mostly just stand there when i get hit..i think it's cause on low level players even when they combo me i know in advance that is about to happen..or at least it isn't a complete surprise...with you it's just like...wth happened...and so i just drop my jaw and stare...

but no worries..eventually i will get good at this game...i'll just have to steal ether for like 2 hrs or so sometime. it's nice to know there is a top level marth in the area to steal moves off of

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
yeah, i was there.
me n my partner were ******.... until we started screwing around. we couldve won too >_>

me and IV vs Schoolie and .... i forget his name WERE HILARIOUS matches!
Schoolie- REST REST BAIR BAIR.
IV- SHINE Up smash combo!!! XD
Me- i think i heard sum1 say "TOP TIER IS ****"...... i use link
That one guy- SO ANNOYING!! he's fighting iv, till my dmg is 100, his fox comes out of the woods and up smashes my ***. WTHFZORSnljhrg

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
I spam bairs no mater what the fight >_>

KF- good matches guys, I think I played all you that were there, sometimes you guys just have to realize that your game plan isn't working out and change it up midmatch to try something new, worse come to worse, you just learn something new =)

Ether- I still haven't played you 1v1, and team shenanigans needs a rematch vs you and dee

Josh- You always seem to forget to needle the recovery haha. next time you're around we're gonna work on your teams game =P

Riku- gonna need to do some Yoshi ditto's with you, always fun playing Yoshi's and giving/taking advice. Also I didn't get to play your Sheik, I enjoy playing Sheiks haha.

Juan- ...that is all.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
sooo yeah I'll be there next time. I'd love for it to be like it was friday night when I avoided some Newport News traffic by smashing at CNU for a couple hours ^_^ thanks again for those matches...fun as hell
That's just it: massive amounts of friendlies. Side tourneys are sweet but should be limited to like...two tvs? I think everyone would benefit immensely if we had the majority of setups dedicated to friendlies for the most epic training ever =D

Schoolie. We really REALLY need to work on being a better team. We both have aggressive edgeguarding pokemon x_X We keep getting in each others way. gah.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
if you play falco kinda like fox, he does really well against jiggs. Bair is a really spammed move in that fight
... Bair? Against a quick falco? You crazy, yo.

Nair + fsmash = gold
Nair + upthrow = gold
Nair + rest = gold
Nair as an edgeguard=gold

In fact, nair itself is gold, except on marth... it's useless :(

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
yeah, I only go for the friendlies. I mean, what's a random tourny gonna prove, especially when you don't even pay to enter, lol.

I guess if I want to play more friendlies I could bring a set-up, so I can't really complain. Maybe I could just have people come to mi casa instead and we could get some heated matches in there, and there are COUCHES

eh eh eh

edit - nah, I can't compete with CNU and smash... besides, there would probably be mass consumption of alcohol at my place on a saturday so all the results would be skewed according to who's sober-er

p34chPAI

Smash Cadet
Hm, well, maybe we could change up the way the tourneys work...? What do people like/dislike about them? I'm not too sure how much people like random doubles, but it seems like they're enjoyed well enough... I definitely think that more friendlies/challenges would be widely accepted, especially between different-area people; I don't play that much, but it seems like it'd be beneficial to play new people.. >_>

Anyway, if you have any ideas/suggestions/etc. on how we might improve or alter our CNU-hosted tourneys, please either post them here, or PM me ^_^

Ether

Smash Ace
I think everything will be great once we bring in a few more setups to dedicate to friendlies.

So.....who wants to do this again in one week instead of two? Yes?

KitsuneKing

Smash Journeyman
imo, free tourneys arent all that fun. i like have something on the line, even if the chance of winning is slim. i pay for experience

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
@Kits

agreed. I just paid a ****load of money yesterday on the entire C3 trip knowing that the 10 dollars I spent on the tourney would never be seen by me again but the experience and knowledge I would gain would be unmatched by simply paying the 8 dollar venue fee, let alone playing in a free tourney.

I'm not knocking on free smash for fun and experience and to help cultivate a solid community. You guys get mad props for doing that as well as you have. I'm knocking on a continued insistence on "tourneys" when getting people to come from relatively far away for no monetary gain should AT LEAST be balanced with offers of mad friendlies and the ability to play....everyone. That's where experience and a sharing of knowledge comes from. That's what creates a better community of smashers.

I remember after the epic intercollegiate crew battles, I was playing Josh, Pika Vs. Marth, and he didn't know the matchup that well, so I called Ether over to help him out. Bam, Josh got 80,000 times better and beats my Pikachu now. I'm not saying for everyone to ***** Ether out for advice. That's what AIM is for ^_^

You guys have improved vastly as a whole since the first time I played you, which was really not that long ago. You're at a level and mindset now where training can be more fun and much more rewarding for everyone involved than shenanigans tourneys. If you have a shenanigans tournament, it should at LEAST have SOME prize *refers to Epic Madness Vol. 2: $1 Team Green Greens Tournament for $$$ and Nachos!* And even THAT was after a day of epic friendlies that started at noon.

We could even create a kind of open forum environment where, during a match, someone playing can either shout out for advice midmatch if they seem to be getting wrecked [this is something I've done a lot in the past when I was new to advanced play and it helped IMMENSELY...thx to O-NO/BlackheartLee] or if someone watching KNOWS that the person playing is missing a key element or keeps falling for certain things, they should be allowed to call it out to help the player.

I mean....I'm just saying. still <3 CNU.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
I don't mind doing it for money myself but i do feel like the less skilled players at WM would probably prefer no money on the line. I already pay so much on gas that it doesn't really matter..well alex and I rather..speaking of which i may still owe him money for gas? sigh i don't remember now...did i pay him or not? id on't think so:(

anyways, that means i need to go spend more cash i guess; more importantly, i agree we need more setups, depending on the weekend i cna usually bring one or two setups i think if i come..definitely can't come this next weekend. I'm a WM player and suck at doubles so i have little interest in them one way or the other..i like to watch matches though too so i'm usually not too bored even if i'm not playing...i would have to say the main problem at such tourneys is finding time to play ether..what can i say, we just need ot clone him and everything will work out

umm, people who need to get to play more at these things..jaymie, piper, sanchez - marth player...

it just seemed like they didn't play many matches...i felt kinda bad hogging tvs when some people weren't getting to play.. so while i don't mind friendlies, we need more setups if we're going to do it..otherwise some people end up sitting around...though i'm more guilty than most, what with trying to play every new player there as well as get a few matches against any demigods i could find (trey and ether)..but ya...i definitely saw people sitting around and not playing for like an hour while the same people would switch in and out.

On the other hand i got the feeling some people were afraid to play me...dear people..if you think that i will destroy you it's quite simple to ask that i play low tier or something...i just wanted practice with all my mains vs your main..it's not like i have some great desire to destroy you or something... besides, trey will avenge your spirits anyways, so you shouldn't feel bad if you have trouble taking off stock.. sometimes i have trouble actually seeing trey, he keeps using Shunpo (flash step) to dodge my attacks..and then he hits me in the back of the head, that way i can't remember the match and improve;)

but ya for those who didn't get to play enough...feel free to kick me off a tv to play..just ask..i feel so bad about that..though at the same time i was hoping for people to begin to leave to make space so i could play more..so more setups are nice.

in summary..i don't care for random doubles..i'd prefer teams that we actually made..that way WM could work on their teams game, but at the same time i kinda understand how people feel the teams wouldn't be fair otherwise...i'd just prefer to seed the tournaments accurately so teams are close to each other in skill...yes that makes things inaccurate placement wise if you reverse seed the tournament..but it's not for money anyways...i don't mind going out to ether in first rounds..it's better than having some newer player have to go in and feel like they can't move...oh wait..that's how i feel anyways..

ya and i agree about the open calling of advice thing..it really irks me to see blatant errors and be unable to say anything..but at the same time..sometimes the player wouldn't be able to fix it anyways

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
yeah, random doubles was alright for the first week

now it seems that it's just gotten kinda lame, especially with all this talk of how broken lvl 9 ganon is., hahaha (Just charge smash attacks)

oh well, if its next week I won't be able to make it, but I'll be back at these events because they are still pretty fun, I mean... it is smash we are talking about here.

Mjolnir

Smash Cadet
Alright, so i'm getting kind of sick of all yalls complaining. I'd like to point out that CNU was the originator of the tourney idea so we could all get a little better at competitive play, with no money. I understand that things cost money, and driving sucks around here and all, but personally i am not willing to pay knowing i'm going to lose that money fast, it serves as no incentive to get better if i'm still going to lose that money. I agree that friendlies are better, but people still sandbag in friendlies, and some people get hogged. If you want to hold friendlies, why don't you come up with the idea of how to sort it all out. Also bring yer own stuffs is you want more set-ups/seats/whatever. Don't get mad at us because we were rushed and were forced to use a laggy t.v. Sorry about the rant, it's just its a god**** video game, meant to provide pleasure and enjoyment for all. Again sorry for the rant, and the next CNU friendlie tourney is in a few weeks.

edit: also, inorder to start on time, people need to show up on time. I know people work and whatnot, and if you're not going to make it on time, or are stuck in traffic, freaking call so we can plan around it and not sit around waiting for a few people.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
personally i am not willing to pay knowing i'm going to lose that money fast, it serves as no incentive to get better if i'm still going to lose that money. I agree that friendlies are better, but people still sandbag in friendlies, and some people get hogged.
= sova logic

Jamie I just talked it our with everyone, we're all cool... don't flame :p

edit:

Motion to change the CNU Bi-Weeklies to Smashfests with side tourneys?

Top Bottom