• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

No doubt in my mind that this is the ballot character. Certainly a better choice then most ideas I've heard...

Limit gauge should be an interesting gimmick. Although really all I care about at this point is if he'll be viable, because he's managed to have an underwhelming trailer. Like every attack of his has tooooons of startup from the looks of things.

People keep calling Cloud generic.

Cloud is the reason those cliches are generic.

He popularized/invented them.

Honestly, Nintendo fans need to branch out a bit more.
I'm not gonna deny Cloud's popularity, but if you think Cloud codified angsty swordsmen or large swords, you're the one that needs to branch out more. There's a lot of things that Cloud is pulling from that were super popular in Japan at the time. We don't know as much about them, because the internet wasn't a huge thing yet though.

Once again. He's still insanely popular, but he didn't necessarily invent or popularize those tropes anywhere except in the West, and even then, you can still point out a few notable example of individual elements.

Still, people are entitled to think he's generic, because he really didn't add much new, and a lot of people really don't like what FF7 actually did for JRPGs just the same way that people currently despise what FFXIII did genre wise to the Final Fantasy series.

I was disappointed that the Street Fighter series didn't get any assists and only Ken as a trophy. Seeing Chun-Liin action as an assist trophy and M. Bison, Cammy, Dhalsim, and the like as trophies would of been awesome. We never even got Mii costumes (drools at the thought of a Vega, Sakura, Blanka, or Akums Mii outfit).

Hopefully, we get a bit more in the way of additional content. In other words, I really want see Tifa, Sephirith, and Aerith appear in some form.

It's real as it gets now.
Time to prove Omnislash really isn't that hard to dodge? Is this Sodom and Gomorra, because there's gonna be salt everywhere.

(Seriously though. As much as I hate Cloud as a character, I will enjoy getting to style on him with Yoga.)

I'd love to burst peoples' bubbles:

1. Omnislash, Cloud's Final Smash, came first. Final Fantasy 7 came out before any Fire Emblem game featuring Ike came along. So Great Aether is technically a clone of Omnislash.

2. What's more, people that complain about Cloud's Final Smash aren't apparently complaining about Greninja's Final Smash.

3. I saw someone say Fox Semi-Clone...then Wolf. Apparently Smash World Forums is still full of morons.

4. Cloud's Moveset is actually still very original. There's nothing bad about it; it reflects Cloud's ulterior moves and hell, apparently Cloud has a second version of him that seems to be more power than speed. Me thinks Cloud is going to be a transformation character.
Dude he's a semi clone with a few different effects.

...I'm quite disappointed actually. I'm not sure how I feel about Cloud 100%. I like that FF7 music is gonna be in because this is a dream for me. My problem is how Cloud's history with Nintendo affected his chances? It doesn't make sense to me and felt in some ways, it's a waste of a character slot for someone who deserves it far more that has HISTORY with Nintendo. I'm pretty convined that this is the ballot with the fanboys getting what they want

I swear to God, if I see Goku or Naruto in the remaining DLC, I'm done

Cloud is the most popular RPG hero of all time, belonging to a franchise that has a strong connection with Nintendo. Not to mention, Cloud has, contrary to popular belief, in fact appeared in a lot of Nintendo games despite what people will try to claim.

"B-but FFVII wasn't on Nintendo"

Neither was most of the Metal Gear games other than a terrible remake and yet people are seemingly okay with Snake even if he has even less "proxy" history than Cloud and the Final Fantasy series. Get real dudes. This was the only sensible option if you're going for a Final Fantasy rep.

Last edited:
I imagine Cloud's introduction to Smash over any other FF character coincides with Square Enix's FF7 HD remake they have planned which they announced quite some time ago earlier this year.

This might mean we can speculate that the remake could be released for Wii U/NX. This might also mean more 3rd parties will partner with Nintendo meaning a wider library which everyone seems to complain about.

If not, then it's the Snake treatment. Port fanboys over to the game while lowkey marketing themselves, just that MGS creators begged (might be the case here, but I somehow doubt it).

Regardless, more smash news in December which means finally news on the ballot results?!

I'm not excited for Cloud but I am excited about the effect of having him in the game. More new players, more interest in Smash and vice versa for FFVII. Good all around.

Besides, can't wait to beat his ass in FG.

People are already jumping the gun about Cloud being a ballot character...

Here's why he isn't...
Long hiatus between Cloud and e3's triple character bundle...seems like a looong time to do nothing but make stages and Mii costumes...you really think they weren't working on any characters?

Also another reason why he's most likely pre-ballot...How many people have asked for him? I barely saw Cloud anywhere in any of the polls all over the internet and if he was mentioned the number was too insignificant...However just because he wasn't as highly requested doesn't mean he's not a popular choice....kinda like Ryu...
Let's not forget that he almost looks complete...after just over ONE MONTH since the ballot ended with a new stage and everything....

Cheer up guys! No need to walk around with a cloud over your heads
You, I like you.

That being said, I don't get why people are so fanny flustered about Cloud coming to smash, he's another fantastic addition and the only close range sword fighter with a projectile (LINK IS NOT CLOSE RANGE) which seems like it would be a counter to Luma (pure speculation)

People are already jumping the gun about Cloud being a ballot character...

Here's why he isn't...
Long hiatus between Cloud and e3's triple character bundle...seems like a looong time to do nothing but make stages and Mii costumes...you really think they weren't working on any characters?

Also another reason why he's most likely pre-ballot...How many people have asked for him? I barely saw Cloud anywhere in any of the polls all over the internet and if he was mentioned the number was too insignificant...However just because he wasn't as highly requested doesn't mean he's not a popular choice....kinda like Ryu...
Let's not forget that he almost looks complete...after just over ONE MONTH since the ballot ended with a new stage and everything....
Remember that also polls are feedback and not surefire ins for the game.

Which means he might have been high enough to get attention but not for the most requested.

Though you could still be right on this.

Remember that also polls are feedback and not surefire ins for the game.

Which means he might have been high enough to get attention but not for the most requested.

Though you could still be right on this.
I'm talking in terms of consistency for the polls...some polls have some really weird and obscure results while others seemed more "on par" with the rest of the world...either way Cloud did not do so well in most of them, barring the aforementioned outliers (in which case he was average at best)...which is the point I was trying to make...

While there are other FF representatives I'd have liked to see over Cloud (FF6 is my favourite) he's still a welcome addition in my eyes. His moveset seems pretty unique for a swordsman. Projectile and Limit break charge and all that. His moves also seemed to be pretty fast on startup with longer recovery, but I'll have to play him to know. The stage looks great with all the summons and FF music is always good.

It was no coincidence that Clouds omnislash was used on Ike as his great aether is a homage/copy of clouds.

At this rate the salt levels will reach flood levels on the ballot character announcements when they get around to revealing them. (doubt Cloud was due to suggestions) And that's fine. It just shows how deeply people care about it.

Amazing choice TBH. Stepping away from nintendo only characters is the best thing for the game. You only add nintendo characters and you're going to keep the same fan base as the last game. The character alone is going to increase the players like Mega man, Ryu, Pacman, and sonic did. Keep side/returning characters as filler announcments. Its laughable how people cheering for indie game characters are getting upset over an iconic character that pulls more fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg

12mil views on a trailer. thats far more than what any indie game is going to pull lmao.

.... Nintendo why you do this?

I just want Isaac! Although I do love Final Fantasy 7, but I still want our Golden psynergy user in Smash.

Luckily Cloud doesn't use any of his magic, so I guess Isaac could shake things up with psynergy.

Still Isaac for Smash! Hopefully the Smash broadcast fully reveals Smash ballot results.

And congratulations to whoever wanted Cloud to appear in Smash! :)
Isaac will never be in a Nintendo game, especially not one rated E for everyone.. it's entire game is literally a series of blasphemous references you act out. if it was some very very subtle thing in one or two levels it could be edited for release, but the games entirely is literally just that. so no, Nintendo wouldn't go anywhere near putting that in smash bros.

as for shovel Knight, even tho this game is a salute to Nintendo, and absolutely E for everyone, I don't think it would make it into smash either, just because it's a new indie game. smash bros characters are either Nintendo characters the developers feel close to, or characters from other franchises who have long proven themselves. This is Ryu, Cloud, Pac Man, unarguably characters that have proven themselves over a decade later. and so for this reason I don't believe shovel Knight, as cool as he would beb, will show up in smash, at least not anytime soon.

Isaac will never be in a Nintendo game, especially not one rated E for everyone.. it's entire game is literally a series of blasphemous references you act out. if it was some very very subtle thing in one or two levels it could be edited for release, but the games entirely is literally just that. so no, Nintendo wouldn't go anywhere near putting that in smash bros.

All you ppl saying Sora makes me facepalm. Compared to Cloud who is more reasonable as a character in terms of his moveset. Sora would be beyond busted. Only way to make him not broken is to not give him a keyblade. Even in KH1 he'd have more tools than most of the cast. Real talk. And considering Sakurai likes to use the more updated version of characters to put into Smash KH DDD Sora would be beyond busted. Let's be real guys.
Sorry, but I disagree. With your logic being used, characters with extreme power such as Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Samus, Ness etc. couldn't be in either. I'd love to see Sora in SSB5, but with Cloud in it's even more unlikely to happen.

Well, I'm sure as hell no one can say they saw this coming, I mean, DAMN.

Call me hyped. Not a huge fan of FF, but it was still really cool to see Cloud in action and part of SM4SH now. :cool:

This announcement surely broke conceptions with discussions-rumors-debates-'shoo ins' indeed.

:bowser:

Last edited:
Top Bottom