• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Classic Mode isn't very Classic.

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
Think about it.

It's the only thing i was really disappointed about the game , it should be renamed to random mode.

When i go play SSB64 , i get excited about each stage, which one being diffrent and unique. From versus Link , to Yoshi Team , to Giant DK , Mario Bros , Metal Mario to Master Hand. All stages (but one) and characters being used.

When i play Brawl's , i find Random fights , most of them being ''Team X'' ''Metal X'' or ''Giant X'' fights. They lost there special feel. Hardly any normal duels or 2 versus 2 fights. It doesn't even include'' Board the Platforms'' or ''Fight to the finish'' minigames , only two break the targets. They could of included the Home run contest minigame in it.

I know there is all-star mode that includes the normal fights , point is , If it was meant to be classic mode , i though it would fit more in with it.

What do you think?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Classic mode's just fine how it is. It's meant to represent the classic game, but original way it was meant to be played, you versus a giant hand.

I have to disagree with this.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Every time a Team or Giant fight pops up, I pray that it is Kirby Team or Giant Donkey Kong in respect to the original. :(

Classic mode was my biggest disappointment with Brawl. It felt so...lazily put together. Everyone's Target rounds are the same, Race to the Finish is gone, every round feels - hypocritically - so much more similar because of how randomised it is. Sure, there are some series-specific rounds, but that's not the kind of constraint that I felt the mode needed.

At least Master Hand is still legendary to fight....if possibly easier than before.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Honestly, I miss board the platforms.

I'd feel much better if every time I played Classic, I wouldn't have to face GIANTTTT PITTT.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know what you mean. 90%(or so) agree that Classic Mode sucks in Brawl. It's boring, LONGER, and you almost never face actual classics. Where's my Metal Maro, Giant Donkey Kong, and Kirby Team? Or Yoshi Team, for that matter. It'd be nice if we faced the Alloys instead of 3 random characters...

Giant Young Link was also annoying in Melee, if you're going for No Damage Clear.

Energy Whip

Smash Cadet
Classic mode's just fine how it is. It's meant to represent the classic game, but original way it was meant to be played, you versus a giant hand.

I have to disagree with this.
What Straked said Is what I think but It has left the fun out and became a little bit boring for some Uber Players.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Brawl's Classic Mode isn't very random like Melee's Classic Mode. It should've been more like...

Stage 1: 1 vs. 1
Stage 2: 2 vs. 2
Stage 3: Multi-Man Battle; 1 vs. 10
Bonus 1: Target Smash; level 1-5
Stage 4: 1 vs. 1
Stage 5: 3 vs. 1 (giant)
Stage 6: Multi-Man Battle; 1 vs. 15
Bonus 2: Target Smash; level 2-5
Stage 7: 1 vs. 1
Stage 8: Multi-Man Battle; 1 vs. 20
Stage 9: 1 vs. 1 (metal)
Bonus 3: Race to the Finish!!
Stage 10: Fighting Alloy Team; (1 vs. 30)
Stage 11: 1 vs. 3
Stage 12-a: Master Hand
Stage 12-b: Master Hand & Crazy Hand

tkls

Smash Apprentice
i think brawl classic is more classic than melee classic. it has more structure to the rounds.
anyway, with that amout of characters and stages, i'd say they did there best to make classic mode as inclusive as possible, without making classic take an hour to beat
also i prefer brawl classic to melee classic

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
I do miss Board the Platforms. It was and still is the only minigame I liked from the SSB series.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
I'm with you as the brawl classic is just awful in compared with melee and the original. I don't even do classic in brawl as the battles feels all the same and there's not much fun.

chivesontheweb

Smash Cadet
The longer loading times between matches is what killed Brawl's Classic Mode for me. Well, and the number of times I had to play through it to get all of character trophies.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
I have always hated Classic mode..
Except for SSB64.. mainly because it was the only 1P thing you could do...
And board the platforms was freaking awesome.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The longer loading times between matches is what killed Brawl's Classic Mode for me. Well, and the number of times I had to play through it to get all of character trophies.
This. I shouldn't have to play as PT 3 times to get all the character trophies.

IMO, Melee's classic mode was the best. It had a perfect balance between structure and variety.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I don't know how any of you came to the conclusion that Melee Classic > Brawl Classic. They're practically the same thing except Melee is pure random, while Brawl has controls to it (though allowing Giant Pit was a stretch for them).

JennetteMcCurdyFan

Smash Rookie
Oh God ! The time between the matches in Classic mode is LAZY and takes TOO LONG, that just kills me. Now I feel bad for deleting ALL my save data. It sure took a great time to get all character's trophies and unlock those Classical Mode challenges. And as all of you said, the Classic mode in Brawl is also VERY bad because if you do it like 5 times, you aways know what is coming. The Legend of Zelda, Monkeys or Yoshis...bla, bla, bla.

Samus Aran X

Smash Cadet
I'm between the wall with this one. SSB64's classic mode generally has a "Classic Feel" to it, due to the fact that it is classic being it the first mode... I'm disappointed in the fact of how formatted the matches are. It's just All-Star with a few minor changes in my opinion, and I miss the real "random" characters/stages...

But siding with that, I have to also say that there's nothing really problematic about Classic mode. Sure, the matches are more pre-determined, but is there anything really wrong about that? Sure, it's missing the "Classic Feel", but Brawl isn't trying to imitate SSB64 if you even want to go that far. It IS still Classic mode, just with a few things tweaked, to your dismay or not.

This is a whole different topic, but Brawl is trying to evolve the previous mini-games (if that also means removing some.) like it did w/ Target Smash (which is wholesomely another topic). It took out the custom-levels per character, but added "Levels". They're trying to balance it out. Sure, Race to the Finish and Board the platforms are removed.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I don't know how any of you came to the conclusion that Melee Classic > Brawl Classic. They're practically the same thing except Melee is pure random, while Brawl has controls to it (though allowing Giant Pit was a stretch for them).
Actually Melee's had superior structure in terms of match types.

Melee's Classic:

1. vs.1-1(Insert Character Here)
2. You & Ally(Random) vs. (Random) and (Random)
3. Break the Targets
4. vs. 1-1(Random, stronger handicap)
5. You, Ally, and Ally vs. Giant Enemy
6. Snag the Trophies
7. vs. 1-1(Random)
8. vs. Team(Insert Character Here)
9. Race to the Finish
10. Vs. Metal(Insert Character Here)
11. Vs. Master Hand(Crazy Hand if conditions are satisfied.

Compare this to Brawl's classic.

Brawl's Classic Mode
1. Zelda theme(2 on 2 or 1 on 1)
2. DK and Yoshi theme(2 on 2 vs DK and Diddy or You, DK, Diddy vs Giant Yoshi)
3. Pokemon Theme(1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 vs. giant Pokemon, 2 vs. Giant Pokemon)
4. Mother and Fire Emblem theme(1 on 1, 2 on 2, 2 vs. Giant, 1 vs. Giant, 1 vs. 10)
Bonus Break the Targets
5. Kirby theme(2 on 2, 1 on 1, 1 vs. 10, 1 vs giant, 2 vs. giant)
6. Pikmin or Metroid theme (1 on 1, 1 vs 10, 1 vs. Metal, 1 vs. Giant)
7. StarFox or F-Zero theme(1 on 1, 2 on 2, 1 vs. Giant, 1 vs 10))
8. Mario theme(2 on 2, 1 on 1)
9. Too many variable to fit on this post.
10. See # 9
Bonus Break The Targets(Again)
11. 3 on 1(Insert character here)
12. Master Hand(Crazy Hand if conditions are satisfied)

Ange

Smash Lord
Both pretty much has the same build.
However, Melees layout is always the same, while Brawl is not.

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Classic

If you look at Brawls section, you will notice how many "or" there are on the different Stages rules. Mostly all of them can cointain any of the types, with a few expections. However, both games follows a particular formula;

Brawl

2 Target Test
3 Single
2 Team
2 Multi-Man
2 Giant
1 Metal
1 3-on-1
1 Final

Stickied stages: 4 (These stages always appear at a specific stage, and are not random)
Total: 14 stages

Melee

1 Target Test
3 Single
1 Team
1 Multi-Man
1 Giant
1 Metal
2 Bonus Stage
1 Final

Stickied stages: All (All stages appear in a non-random order)
Total: 11 stages

Both are pretty similar in build, but when it comes to formulas and actual layout, they differs from eachother greatly. Also, both cointain different kind of bonus stages, and Brawls Classic is slightly longer/bigger.

EDIT: Bah, Eternal Yoshi kinda beat me to it, but Ill just let it be.

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
Yeah I completely agree. Classic mode doesn't feel like classic mode. Without each stage feeling unique, it isn't the same. Also, BTP and RTTF are both gone. RTTF being kicked out really aggravates me.

Gameplayer209

Smash Cadet
I miss board the platforms, to be honest. I'd rather play that than BREAK THE TARGETS and BREAK THE TARGETS in one. One Break the targets is enough for one classic play through.

n88

Smash Lord
My only complaint about Brawl Classic is that I have an uncanny ability to fight Giant Pit every time I play through it. And when he gets a Smash Ball, he gets Giant Angels. Which was extremely scary when I first discovered it.

Avion

Smash Apprentice
I agree, I don't much care for classic mode anymore. The type of fight is the same or each round each time you play (e.g., round x is always metal fight), the same target test for each character gets annoying, and the good minigames, like board the platforms and race to the finish, were removed! I played to complete the challenges and then never again.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Board the platforms was one of my favorite parts of the old classic mode. But they did change nearly everything. I don't have an N64 but i really want to play the original smash bros. sometime. it was fun.

Top Bottom