• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cincinnati Smashfest (Next 6-2-07)

DrewB008

Smash Lord
if we get enough people to do a tourney, it will just be a $5 entry fee probably. I'm not sure exactly who all is coming, people should post if theyre gonna make it, so there can be a headcount of sorts. Me, Juke, 2 other guys from our school, and sliq are all for sure. mholtz was posting before, ameer might be there late, joel posted but i dunno if hes gonna make it. jiano and some louisville guys will come if we have a good crowd.

Nope

Smash Lord
its kind of short notice but i will hopefully be driving up sat but what time are we starting and ending? If it is very late starting or ending late at night would anyone be able to put myself and maybe plus one person up for the night? and can i get an address?

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
My wife sounds like she's going to approve this venture, so right now my odds are good for coming. It'll be good to smash all day with people I don't usually play with (especially you durned Falcons). ^_^

Sliq

Smash Master
All info is in the first post. We'll be playing as late as people stay up. If there is a demand for one we will have a small tournament.

papayasown

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I work 10AM-6PM so I'll be home around 6:30 and able to play until I sleep. I'd stay up all night but I have to work the next day too.

We'll have 2 and a half setups going, bring more if you'd like to play more. Bring your own bed as well if you wish on staying =). Once again, I trust all of you (and nothing has happened so far or anything) but this is Justin and my house, please be respectful of our stuff. All smashers I've met are cool as hell so I'm not worried about it, I just feel obligated to say something.

Oh and bring snacks if you get hungry (AMEER!). Mostly applies to ameer lol. I believe pizza is usually ordered but I'm not sure. This will be my first one lol.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I'll come at the earliest and probably leave around 10. I'll try to post if I'm coming for sure tonight. Smashfest without a tournament sounds good...but I don't know if I can resist a tournament.

lolz

Nope

Smash Lord
ok so its looking like i shall be coming to this, i will bring a setup and im still unsure about the other person

DrewB008

Smash Lord
well at the moment we'll have about 10-12 by my count, including you and joel if you guys come. not sure if thats worth the drive youll have to make, but if youre still interested go for it, and the count has risen by about 5 pretty much just today, so it could get better.

papayasown

Smash Journeyman
COK keeps saying they'll come some time and never do. I think Viperboy has shown interest at one point or another too.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
i want to come not really sure if i am though, you know us MI people its just a last minute thing we may just show up at ur doorstep tonight needing a pace to stay or we might not LOL i guess well see saturday morning

Sliq

Smash Master
Even if we don't get a lot of people, a tournament might still be held. Depending on how many people come, it may be round robin. Also, I can record matches via my laptop and capture card.

Bring money for pizza, pop, tournament, and money matches.

This is going to be BOSS.

Sliq

Smash Master
The next Bi-weekly won't be on Feb 1st, 2 weeks from now because I have to do community service for a scholarship that Saturday...well actually, I guess we could still do it, but people wouldn't be able to come until 5 P.M...

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Wow... Lucky coincidence the first time I've remembered to check this thread since December winds up being the day of. I'll be over around 3:00-3:30. Hopefully I can get ahold of a TV...

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
The next Bi-weekly won't be on Feb 1st, 2 weeks from now because I have to do community service for a scholarship that Saturday...well actually, I guess we could still do it, but people wouldn't be able to come until 5 P.M...

Doesn't hosting this count as a community service?

KishPrime

BRoomer
Thanks to Sliq and Kel for hosting! It was nice to have a laid back smashfest, I don't think I've ever attended a Smashboards smashfest before! I felt a lot better after I slept in the car some. I'm not sure what happened but after I ate my stomach was cramping up. I was also glad we had the free tournament, I wanted an excuse to play everyone at least once. See you all in March for the championship!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
so this thing was pretty much amazing.

Sliq should forego sleep for a day and get his five or six freaking hours of video out ^_^

Sliq

Smash Master
I already encoded the whole thing in wmv and zipped it. As soon as I get home I'll upload it and you can work on the combo vid. However, the videos are going to take me some time because I am a full time student, and that means exactly what it says.

Hopefully this will keep getting as many people as it did, and people can get to play everyone. Next time I'll have it setup so everyone gets video time and I don't have 3 hours of the same person (...Dante...).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I already encoded the whole thing in wmv and zipped it. As soon as I get home I'll upload it and you can work on the combo vid. However, the videos are going to take me some time because I am a full time student, and that means exactly what it says.

Hopefully this will keep getting as many people as it did, and people can get to play everyone. Next time I'll have it setup so everyone gets video time and I don't have 3 hours of the same person (...Dante...).
We should definitely do the round robin thing again. And have a ruleset set up. Beforehand. And buy an extra pizza for Ameer.

Should we keep track of the rankings for all this? Win/loss stuff? It'd be cool to see it broken down after a couple of these.

Win/loss/Win % for Round Robin

Win/loss/Win % for semi-finals

Win/loss/Win % for finals

That kinda stuff.

Edit:

I'm going to be making a combo vid out of the videos, and that will need music. Suggestions?

DrewB008

Smash Lord
Lifelong Fiction-Aphilas
Aerodynamic-Daft Punk
Frog Machine-Infected Mushroom
Myxomatosis-Radiohead
Blood and Thunder-Tsuneo Imahori
Exciton-Squarepusher
Right Thing/GDMFSOB (Clean Instrumental Version)-DJ Shadow

My musical suggestions.

papayasown

Smash Journeyman
Justin says he is busy on the 3rd. I however am off work that day. This means we could potentially have one in two weeks at my place again.

The Woah song-Dj Daz
This is just a stupid/funny song that would be good in a vid.

Yeah, get those vids comin Justin!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Good lord almighty.

I've never listened to either of those two before, but it's like listening to DDR music without the flashing arrows.

Big thumbs down from Overswarm >=(

Suggestions for music that is not influenced by DDR, Disco, or lame "block rockin' beats"-esque techno please.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
i could have suggested lame techno, but i suggested good electronic music instead. you gotta learn to appreciate musical innovation, and not generalize electronic as techno dance music.

what kind of music do you like os?

papayasown

Smash Journeyman
I said it was stupid and funny. Have you no culture enough to know of the song 'Tarzan Boy'? If so, you lose dude. two songs?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I said it was stupid and funny. Have you no culture enough to know of the song 'Tarzan Boy'? If so, you lose dude. two songs?
Haven't listened to yours yet, I was referring to Jiano and Drew's suggestions.

As for what music I like.....

I can generally listen to everything but Country and Rap (including their immediate descendants). Things that are "iffy" include a lot of the "extremes" of one musical type. I like listening to techno and techno-influenced music, like Prodigy or Mindless Self Indulgence (respectively), but I am not a big fan of techno as a whole. I'll listen to death metal, but if something is coming from Normandy, count me out. I like punk, and I like pop, but if the guy is just screaming incoherently into the microphone with a lot of fifths playing quickly behind it, I can't stand it. I also can't stand that teeny-bopper crap. I like the "indie" type of music, but I can't stand the incessent whining that predominates the popular music of the genre.

Long story short, a restatement: I can generally listen to anything other than Country and Rap, as long as it is not an "extreme" of that particular genre. That is generally where my problem lies.

For combo vids, I generally prefer something upbeat and non-techno. Techno does not suit itself for combo videos at all, in any way shape or form.

Nope

Smash Lord
I also want to say thanks for sliq and kel hosting, it was fun and i would like to do it again.
as for music here are my suggestions:

30 Seconds to Mars - I'll Attack
Crossfade - Starless
Breaking Benjamin - Blow Me Away
Pulse Ultra - Build Your Cages
Linkin Park - Breaking The Habit

on a side note i still owe sliq $5, i will pay you back next smashfest i guess since you were not there when i left and i forgot. so remind me next time and ill take care of it.

papayasown

Smash Journeyman
So what you're saying is you have to like the song to cut smash clips to it?

I have an idea. Just make a highlight reel with no musak!

Sliq

Smash Master
I also want to say thanks for sliq and kel hosting, it was fun and i would like to do it again.
as for music here are my suggestions:

30 Seconds to Mars - I'll Attack
Crossfade - Starless
Breaking Benjamin - Blow Me Away
Pulse Ultra - Build Your Cages
Linkin Park - Breaking The Habit

on a side note i still owe sliq $5, i will pay you back next smashfest i guess since you were not there when i left and i forgot. so remind me next time and ill take care of it.
No problem.

Top Bottom