• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chula Vista/San Diego Smash Presents: The Gauntlet April 28th

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Public Note To Self: Work on San Diego Smash (not just Brawl or Melee) t-shirts; colors, red, yellow, white (official San Diego Colors); static font; most likely white on yellow on deep red; slogan: "From 2004 - 2Forever"; ask people to sponsor the making of the shirts; then sell to people in San Diego depending on price to make. etc.

How was the weekly this week and what did everyone think of the Amateur Bracket? (pricing, rules, people playing, etc...)

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Lack of people made this amateur bracket lackluster in terms of trying to gauge it's performance.

A few major problems we are seeing at the Weeklies as of now:

1. The amateur bracket, in addition to Doubles/Singles, makes our tournaments run slower than they usually do/should. This may have been effected by our lack of TVs and Wiis (Only 2 for the amateur bracket, until Hall came with his for Pro bracket).

2. Doubles is an even bigger problem, in my honest opinion. NOBODY is willing to do doubles. 99 percent of the time, it's only the constants that are entering doubles and none of the "randoms", for lack of a better term. So we discussed, on our way back from La Bella's, that some of San Diego's better players could start teaming with these less consistent players in order to spice up the Doubles tournament and ignite their spark.

Example:
Instead of Nyjin and Phear it'd be "Nyjin and Vitin" and "Phear and LittleLives".

What do you all think? (Sorry if I butchered the explanation. Anyone is welcome to add their own 2 cents).

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
MAH EPIC POST

Bottom line; I don't think the amateur bracket should be run as it is. I'm sorry Havok, but when i heard you charged $4 for it, and the pot money went partially to winners, I kind of made a double take. My idea for the amateur bracket was similar to minor/major league ball. They're completely separate, and if you're good enough for one, you're invited up to the other.

The price for doubles I agree with, and I think you're right about the $1 venue fee because you and your parents deserve something for letting us use your house every weekend, but I think $4 is a little steep for an amateur bracket that goes to partially finance a $5 pro bracket.

Not only are you charging only a dollar less, you're already telling people that they are not allowed to access any of the money they put down for their own tournament. The amateur bracket is supposed to be just for amateurs. People whose skill we're unsure of, and are new to the game.

Referring to this last weekly:

The winner is guaranteed admission into Pro Bracket and $20. The rest of the money goes to the Pro Bracket. So with 10 entrants, that's $40 from amateurs, with $20 of those dollars given to first place, the other $20 given to directly to the winners of the Pro Bracket. See the disconnect? Why are the amateurs giving money to pros? I don't remember if I said I was for this or against this before, but I've made up my mind now, I think. To be honest, if we're going to have any money in the Am Bracket pot going to the Pro Bracket it should be to pay for the entry fee for the winners of Am Bracket.

I know the idea is to encourage more competition and that if the amateurs wanted, they could still enter pro bracket and try to win the money, but there is a difference between probability and realization. We all know SaltyKracka will NOT beat Hall. Why would he enter the Amateur Bracket, possibly lose to the Amateur Bracket winner and think he has a better shot at getting at the pros?

My argument for the amateur bracket was that the game shouldn't be about the money and rather should be about the people and the friends, and everyone as a community getting better. We really shouldn't be looking at rewarding those that do well consistently as much as we should be looking into helping those that NEED help.

Here is an example what I think the amateur bracket SHOULD have looked like this past week without the $1 venue fee:

$2 for Entry

First and second place get their entries into pro bracket paid for. Top 4 should get their money back, and first place should get the rest of the money.

10 Entrants = $20 Dollars in Am Bracket "Pot"

$20 Start Off With
-$10 to pay for Pro Bracket Entry for 1st and 2nd Place
-$8 to give money back to 1st - 4th Place
-$2 to give to first place again.

We're replacing some of the actual money prizes with "equal value" prizes. The tournament still gets the money, and the winner still gets something that's worth the amount of money they won. So it reality, the above budget, would look like this.

$20 Start Off With
-$9 to First Place
-$7 to Second Place
-$2 to Third Place
-$2 to Fourth Place

Because the price to enter the tournament is $2, we're dealing with really low money payouts, so we can afford to have such a degree of difference between the prizes. And since we're rewarding 3rd and 4th place, we're essentially encouraging them to come back later. Even if we only had 5 entrants the pay out would look like this.

1 - $4
2 - $2
3 - $2
4 - $2
5 - $0

The priority should be to give the appropriate people their money back; give out a (relatively) healthy prize to first, and then pay for Pro Bracket if we can.

See how there is little disparity between 5th and 4th? It'd be the same for 9th and 4th or 49th and 4th. The pride should come from getting fourth, not from money. This is amateur bracket; in other words, this is the "I have to get better placing bracket." With little emphasis on money (cheap price to enter, decent prize to win) we're rewarding people that want to continue playing and getting better and encouraging them to get better.

Now, about the transition from Am to Pro. Any discount we give the Am Bracket for getting into the Pro Bracket is seen in the $2 we give back to the top 4. 3rd and 4th Place essentially only have to play $3 to see how they'll do in Pro Bracket, while everyone else, if they really want to try their luck, will pay $5.

I think we should have a constant reminder or list if we're going to do the point system to strictly enforce who should be in the Pro Bracket or Amateur Bracket and update it on the blog. We don't have anyone that's monitoring it right now and I can see this getting ugly if we don't get someone to do it.

If you have any thoughts on how these things should be run people, voice your opinion. This really is your community more than anything.

That's all.

Abortion Doc

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, this is Chill (The 4/19 weekly was my first one for those who don't know me), anyway...

As for what Oats is saying... well, I'm not gonna argue, and I'm fine playing any old way you guys will run it. Having the privilege to use Havok's place as a venue and having people of equal or greater skill level to play against is well worth any price. =P Winnings are nice and all, but it should be secondary to the whole experience.

that's all I got to say... look forward to seeing you all at the next tournament.

EDIT: Also, after our situation last time where Wiis were at a shortage, I'll definintely be bringing all my gear from now on. =P

Awex

Smash Lord
Oats definitely has the right idea. I think Havok and Oats both had the same goal in mind, but Oats thought out more of the finer details.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
Yea i agree with you oats, we'll try it out at the next weekly.

What does everyone think about holding off on doubles for a while? People don't seem to warm up to it anymore, I barely got the hang of it...kinda. That way we can also focus more on the development of our players with the Am bracket (instead of the doubles).

Ohhhh yea i just had a cool idea that I'll need the help from EVERYONE to aid the aspiring player(s). I'll post it as soon as im done with my reading.

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
I think Oats idea it's great. But one question.
So everyone that wish to pay for the pro bracket can enter? even if they are amateurs or they didn't place high on the Amateur bracket?

.AC.

Smash Lord
I think Oats idea it's great. But one question.
So everyone that wish to pay for the pro bracket can enter? even if they are amateurs or they didn't place high on the Amateur bracket?
yes they can

$BONE$

Smash Ace
i dont care i just want my money.

i start studying spanish tomorrow so, i expect all of you to help me out. my goal is to be able to conversate about everyday things by the end of this year. <3

666 posts.

Geomaster

Smash Apprentice
I know small amounts of entry level spanish, so i might be able to help out there :p

Is there going to be a tourney this weekend, (25/26) or is this one of the 'go to quiznos' weekends?

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
As it stands, I may leave the San Diego (from La Jolla area) in the afternoon. I have prior engagements. If these engagements prevent me from reaching the low tier tournament, I'm not going to Quizno's. If the engagements give me ample time to drive to Quizno's, then I'll go; but I probably won't be staying for Singles on Sunday; depends on a bunch of little variables I need to settle this week.

FIERCE

Smash Journeyman
I believe in my car I'll be taaaaking.
Havok
Nyjin
Bone
Oats (mebe)
Hall
& Myself. I think that's 6 of us. Please RSVP boyz.

JaggerG

Smash Apprentice
Good times, guys. Also Hall, I thought about your comment on my DI yesterday and it might be because I keep putting myself into situations that I get easily punished in. I start to expect getting hit. It might be because of the nature of Link's moves, I'm not really sure, but I definitely need to get used to spacing and spamming. I keep going in for the smashes, and frankly, it SHOULDN'T be effective against pros.

It definitely feels like I need more experience against you guys. I had been playing online all day Saturday, so I got used to moving in more and not getting punished. I guess it kind of molded some bad habits.

Awex

Smash Lord
Nyjin can't go to Quizno's, he's got a state speech tournament to win.

*raises hand for Quizno's carpool* (I've got housing for us at Samuelson's :D)

Geomaster

Smash Apprentice
.... Man, that was some sneaky car assembling there Fierce

Well in that case, I don't have any problem setting up a carpool of my own. I can fit me + 4 other people in my comfortable and stylish Murano, but i probably wont go if i cant get at least 3 total people in my car (2 people carpools are awkward) so if anyone is interested drop me a line.

I am ALSO fine with getting a spot in Fierce's car.

PS: Drop me a line means send me a PM

Geomaster

Smash Apprentice
Nyjin! I was in Speech and Debate too! We should have an Impromptu off at a weekly. It'd be awesome

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
I've never done Impromptu, as of yet. It's my second year (I'm a sophomore). I plan on doing it next year, though, since I've done a few practice sessions in class. I'm mainly an Interp person (Humorous Interp and the like).

Geomaster

Smash Apprentice
Interps are awesome. I once did one with my sister as a duo interp and it was about people watching. Fun stuff. My main event was Lincoln Douglass debate, but I'm just gonna say that its TOTALLY not worth the hassle though, its the most stressful event ever, and i switched to impromptu because i was burned out and because i turned it into "George's 5 Minute comedy session on a random subject"

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Too bad you couldn't see my OPP or HI this year :) After this weekend I doubt I'll ever perform them again (This year's speeches, that is).

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
Nyjin, beans in Spanish is frijoles (I think I spelled that right).

I want to go to Quizno's on Saturday like it's nobody's business.

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
So...what's the plan for CV XXX?

I hope it's big, and we get a higher turnout of non-local players besides DSF, Tyrant, Nezumi, and Haze. They seem to be the ones that show up frequently.

We need a guest appearance by Ken, and maybe the return of Ajax!

Top Bottom