• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Christianity--Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I was planning on making this sometime during my winter break, and since this is going to be my 777th post, I figured now would be the appropriate time.

So basically, I've noticed that many threads in the Debate Hall have either touched upon Christian ethics or have taken head-on the concept of inconsistencies in the Bible, and other Christianity-related topics. Now, as I've been in these threads I've also realized that few people seem to know much about the Bible or exactly what Christianity is, as the Bible teaches it, and not how some churches may teach it. That's what I'm here for.

Basically I created this thread to help resolve as many questions regarding Christianity as I can, from the perspective of a Christian who has done a good amount of reading of the Bible as well as extra-biblical sources concerning the Bible. And after all that I have researched I have come to the resolute and absolute conclusion that Jesus Christ is Lord. Since I made my decision to make Jesus Lord of my life nearly three years ago, I've never looked back.

Now this thread will have room for people to debate things with me or to merely ask questions--I'll take either. But since Christianity is such a hot topic, I'll need to set a few ground rules to prevent things from going crazy.

1. One person asks a question at a time.

I cannot stress enough this rule's importance. Sure I know it seems like a cramped way of running the thread, but this is the best way to do it. If I just let this thread go wild and let everyone post at once, there will be more than I can handle to answer in one sitting. I'll deal with each question individually. If someone has a problem with what I said, they have 6 hours to respond to me in this thread. If they don't have time to do make a full post, they can make a reserve post to place their spot which will extend their spot for an extra 6 hours (a total of 12 hours since my response to them). If they miss the opportunity, they can feel free to PM me any question which I'll do my best to answer. After that I may post the conversation on here if it's on topic or if I can find a good time to include it. Being that this thread will run a bit more slowly, this brings me to my next rule.

2. Don't ask a useless question.

Teachers may say "There's no such thing as a stupid question." While this may be true, there are useless questions. I'm sick of hearing overused arguments that get us nowhere like "Would a loving God make a world where people experience pain and die?" Questions like these show a misunderstanding of the Bible as a whole. Go read through the Bible and THEN come up with your definition of God's personality. I do believe that God is love, but I also believe that we have a very limited scope of what love is. So asking useless questions like these is out. If you want to ask one of them to me in a PM--knock yourself out. But I want this thread to get us somewhere. Likewise, if your question could be answered through a little bit of research, don't post it here. BibleGateway.com is a great tool to search for Scriptures. Use it if you need to. If you want historical information that's also a simple question, PM me or if you feel like it would benefit the others, post it here. I think this rule is pretty straightforward. It's basically: 'Think twice before asking a question.' Because a ton of useless questions doesn't do us a whole lot of good.

3. Be humble.

If I disprove your argument, or if you see what your saying isn't quite holding up, don't continue making useless and argumentative posts. You don't have to admit you're wrong if you don't have to, just don't waste other people's time. This also applies to me. If you prove me wrong or if I can't answer your question, I'll admit it.

4. No Impossible Questions

This isn't the time for, "Could Jesus microwave a taco SO HOT that even He could not eat it?" Questions like those are ridiculous and really don't have much of a place here. But this also applies to crazy morality questions such as, "Should a king go to war to earn food for his country so that they can live?" Remember, we're covering the basics here. I'm pretty sure that none of you is really interested in what the king should do or if Jesus could really microwave a taco that hot, those questions are just used to distract from real debate.

5. State What You're Arguing About and Don't Stray From the Topic

This might not be obvious to people, but some people go all across the map asking crazy questions all stemming from one question. I'll answer your one question to the best of my ability, but if I bring up the idea of God's grace and you don't understand that because you haven't really read the New Testament, then don't change the subject. Likewise, if you're arguing with me about the ramifications of new scientific discoveries, don't stray to the accuracy of the Bible. Just one question at a time.

6. No Flaming

This is pretty straightforward. Just don't be a jerk and we can all get along.

And above all, remember that the purpose of the Debate Hall isn't just to yell at people. It's to learn from one another. I'm sure I've got something to learn from everyone here, and I hope I've got some knowledge to impart to all of you.

Beyond this, if any of you is unsure of what I believe and want me to outline it in a post here, go ahead. The reason why I don't do that now is because I'm looking to not waste your time. But if you want to know what I believe either to ask something about what I believe or to debate with me from something I believe, go ahead.

Also keep in mind that I'm not defending all sects of Christianity. If you don't agree with Catholicism, that's not my business. I'm not a Catholic. What I'm here to defend is the purely Biblical Christianity. And if any of you is having trouble understanding what Christianity is in its simplest form, the book Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis is good for breaking a very complicated matter into simple terms. Likewise, if you have any qualms about the accuracy of the Bible More Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell should more than satisfy you.

All of that being said, let the questions begin.

D

Deleted member

Okay, I'll start it off:

Would a loving God make a world where people experience pain and die?

Proverbs said:
I'm pretty sure that none of you is really interested in what the king should do or if Jesus could really microwave a taco that hot, those questions are just used to distract from real debate.
Since omnipotence is an aspect of Christianity, I fail to see why you're dismissing the paradox that attempts to refute it. It's entirely relevant.

DonQuixote

Smash Apprentice
DeLoRtEd1... he already said dont ask that question. look right under number 2!

cman

Smash Ace
As sexy as altf4 is... I have something anyway. Why should society cling to christian morality when modern views on various subjects, such as homosexuality, allow a much more fair and understanding system?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can answer for cman:

Because christians define morality to be that which god favors. Therefore to them, whatever god says is by definition the best way to go. If god said **** and murder were morally right actions (and in the bible it often says to do just that) then those would be morally right. Regardless of anything else.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Okay, I'll start it off:
Would a loving God make a world where people experience pain and die?
yes. the pain is to test god's child to see if he is loyal and good and if he passes, death brings him to glorious heaven. omg i should be a christian!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
2. Don't ask a useless question.
4. No Impossible Questions
OBJECTION!!!

I put forth that both of these rules were designed by you not to keep the conversation civilized, but so you don't have to account for the most difficult (and pertinent) questions, even to yourself.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Ughhh I really don't think this thread is necessary, since, we already have like 3-4 threads on Christianity alone. But, I'll give this a chance, if this turns into exactly like all the other threads, this is going to be locked. Seriously guys, give the guy a chance, when he talked about impossible questions, he was referring to stupid ones like the taco question.

But if this goes out of hand, it's getting locked, I'll give this one day, we'll see what happens.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Why is it that God chose to only reveal himself to an insignificant population of people when history started instead of the entire world?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Ughhh I really don't think this thread is necessary, since, we already have like 3-4 threads on Christianity alone. But, I'll give this a chance, if this turns into exactly like all the other threads, this is going to be locked. Seriously guys, give the guy a chance, when he talked about impossible questions, he was referring to stupid ones like the taco question.

But if this goes out of hand, it's getting locked, I'll give this one day, we'll see what happens.
Dude, it's the very fact that the question is impossible to answer that makes it require asking. If we're starting from a premise regarding a paradoxial being, I think it behooves us to address the point, even if the example was very absurd.

The traditional question is "Could God create a stone so heavy he couldn't lift it?" and I would like to have a more firm stance on this issue before he continues. Not necessarily a definitive stance, mind you, but I'd like to get some perspective on where he's coming from when he answers the Wikipedia-level questions... :ohwell:

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Is this question considered impossible?

In Genesis 4, Cain is banished form Eden for killing his bother Abel. He goes to the town of Nod and gets a wife. How could his wife exist, and for that matter Nod, exist if Adam and Eve were the first people and Cain and Abel were their first born and second born respectively?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I think the proper explanation is that Adam and Eve did indeed have Cain and Abel, but it was never claimed that Adam and Eve ONLY had Cain and Abel. They had more than two children, if I'm not mistaken.

It's a good question, though. I've heard it asked before.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I think the proper explanation is that Adam and Eve did indeed have Cain and Abel, but it was never claimed that Adam and Eve ONLY had Cain and Abel. They had more than two children, if I'm not mistaken.

It's a good question, though. I've heard it asked before.
Thanks! How could Adam and Eve's other children establish a town that quickly? Also verse 16 states that she was a woman of the land of Nod.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Good question. It's been theorized that Adam and Eve are actually a metaphor for the first SEVERAL men and women on the earth, which could explain things, too. In fact, MOST of the Old Testament makes a lot more sense when taken as a metaphor rather than literally.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
This seems like a good thread. Can anyone answer a question or just you, Proverbs?
I'll be spending some time on this thread when I get back from vacation. Unfortunately I have no time atm.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Guys, I allowed this because I want Proverbs to actually have a one on one type setting where he can actually defend his faith. Believers and unbelievers will never know everything they do and do not believe until it's questioned.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
So, are you arguing for or against his set of rules? Sorry, I'm actually not quite sure... :ohwell:

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Why is it that most Christians want others to live their lives how they see fit?

Why do Christians think that their religion is the only one in America...

Why do Christians fail biology?

Why do Christians hate each other?

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Why is it that most Christians want others to live their lives how they see fit?
because they think they're right

Why do Christians think that their religion is the only one in America...
they don't, but they are the majority and they think they're right

Why do Christians fail biology?
they only fail at anything regarding evolution

Why do Christians hate each other?
they can't agree on how to interpret their contextless book

Amide

Smash Lord
Guys, shouldn't we wait for Proverbs to answer the questions? It's kind of the point of the thread to get a Christian point of view.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥This thread seems to be going down the drain....

★Guys, I'm not speaking for all of the rules...but you people missed the first rule, which is the most important in my opinion. All of you are bombarding the poor guy with questions and even answering each others questions. For all we know, half of you might not even be Christians! Give Proverbs time to speak!

♡Asking questions one at a time may be a tad bit slow, but at least things will get cleared up in time. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have a section cleared up at a time rather than everything covered up by smoke and mirrors. ;)

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
How do Christians choose which sins are outdated, and which ones aren't? How do they choose which stories are 'truth', and which stories are 'fables'?

I do believe that God is love, but I also believe that we have a very limited scope of what love is.
So... if you believe that you don't know what love, and thus God, is, how do you expect us to respect any of your answers?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Why does my uncle think he is morally superior to me because he believes in the Bible fully and goes to church every week and yet he shoots any animal that comes on his property (like 20 cats by the way)? And his first born son is a monk right now.

And this question isn't Christianity, its any belief in general in something higher.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
All right, let me take a short time to respond:

I know the rules are insane. I'm not stupid. But this would be the only way for this thread to not go crazy with five million posts before I can get a single one in. So let's redo all of the rules. The only one I care about is one question at a time.

So:

Rule #1: One question at a time.

If someone's already asked a question, let me respond.

That's all. If continued spamming of questions goes on, I can't answer them all. I only briefly looked over what was said, but a lot of it I'd have tons to say to, but only one at a time.

So if you already posted a question, please repost it. If someone's already taken the first question--wait.

If you cannot abide by this one rule, then clearly the problem is not me. Sorry if my rules were crazy, I've just seen religious debates come to nothing too many times.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Why is it that God chose to only reveal himself to an insignificant population of people when history started instead of the entire world?

Blackadder

Smash Master
Why is it you have more 'proof' of the Christian God's existance than of any other God?

(Yeah, I know, one question at a time, but come on. You can multi quote, yeah?)

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Why is all religion bull**** made to control and scare a society into working in a way a few select human beings want it to work because they limit the freedom of choice and teach discrimination upon many other human beings and advocate killing them in ways it would seem hell was already on earth?

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Wow, can you people read? He wants to give a decent answer, next person who asks a question without it being your turn is getting warned.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Geez, that's kind of harsh. You might as well lock the topic if it's going to be so tightly-wound. :ohwell:

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Actually, that would TOTALLY work better! Have people PM/VM him questions, and then he can post them here at his leisure. Of course, this topic STILL defeats the purpose of the debate hall, but... *Shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom