• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Child Prodigy?

Killress

Smash Ace
My brother, Jacob (9), and I (14) have been smashing for 1 year today. We are both relatively good, but he has never understood mindgames, and even after hours of explanation, he didn't seem to get it. This morning, Jake woke me up, saying and I quote "Mindgames son." He said he finally understood them. We played a few rounds of smash, and to my amazement, his Marth 3 stocked my shiek, doc, and roy. My fox/falco stood a better chance, but he still could beat me.:mad: Darn those tippers. Normally, he doesn't stand a chance against me.

You see, he used to act flashy, and play a Ken-like style. Now, he plays more like Azen, and can read every single thing i throw at him. His edgeguarding skills are now amazing (which used to be one of his weak points) and he punishes me for everything!

Does anyone have any insight on what may have happened/has anything like this happened to you?

-Killress.

P.S. Any tips on not eating a front smash tipper to the face?;)

Kirbykares

Smash Cadet
Maybe he was tricking you the whole time. maybe he always understood mindgames and knew how to use them, but decided that would be the moment he would show you his amazing skill. Who knows?

P.S. Your sig depresses me:(

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
"Mindgames son."
Looks like you got mindgame'd.

Or maybe he finally just looked around at some good videos on Youtube. Or looked around here. Or sometimes, as with anything that you seem stuck at or frustrated with, it can just click one day.

Meh. Good for him either way. Now you have better competition...

Killress

Smash Ace
Looks like you got mindgame'd.

Or maybe he finally just looked around at some good videos on Youtube. Or looked around here. Or sometimes, as with anything that you seem stuck at or frustrated with, it can just click one day.

Meh. Good for him either way. Now you have better competition...
Haha yes, true.:bee: Been getting kinda boring chainthrowing to fair w/ my shiek;)

Killress

Smash Ace
Maybe he was tricking you the whole time. maybe he always understood mindgames and knew how to use them, but decided that would be the moment he would show you his amazing skill. Who knows?

P.S. Your sig depresses me:(
I dont think brawl shouldve been made. Most people who smash will not end up getting a wii, plus playing online will kill the game. They finally got rid of most of the advanced moves, which is even more depressing. :( But. i changed my sig, for your sake :D

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Brawl's a fun game that can be competitive. Give it a shot. I'll warn you though, it's more campy and less combo-y

fluffy

Smash Champion
This may seem harsh but you're wrong in everything.
I dont think brawl shouldve been made. Most people who smash will not end up getting a wii, plus playing online will kill the game.
Brawl is possibly going to be the best game for the wii in a long time. Many people own the wii. The wii outsold the 360 and the ps3 3 to 1 in 2007. A lot of people who play smash will get a wii. Playing online does not kill the game. It's a way for people to be able to stop playing against computers all the time.
They finally got rid of most of the advanced moves, which is even more depressing.
Brawl isn't melee 2.0. It's a whole different game. They removed a few advanced techniques just to add in a hella lot more.

Don't forget that brawl got a perfect 10 on many gaming sites/magazines. I have the game. Trust me, it's awesome.

Killress

Smash Ace

Brawl is possibly going to be the best game for the wii in a long time. Many people own the wii. The wii outsold the 360 and the ps3 3 to 1 in 2007. A lot of people who play smash will get a wii. Playing online does not kill the game. It's a way for people to be able to stop playing against computers all the time.

Brawl isn't melee 2.0. It's a whole different game. They removed a few advanced techniques just to add in a hella lot more.

Don't forget that brawl got a perfect 10 on many gaming sites/magazines. I have the game. Trust me, it's awesome.
Gaming sites play the games the way they were meant to be. That means items on, etc. But, ill take your word for it:)

Killress

Smash Ace

Also playing online will make people lag, screwing up timing, and people will eventually find hacks.

calvaryfuk

Smash Rookie
Also playing online will make people lag, screwing up timing, and people will eventually find hacks.
You've got to be kidding. Any game that can be played online will have lag and that doesn't stop people from playing those games. And there will be hacks even without online gaming :/

Killress

Smash Ace
You've got to be kidding. Any game that can be played online will have lag and that doesn't stop people from playing those games. And there will be hacks even without online gaming :/
Exactly why ssbb shouldnt be online. And hacks arent allowed in tourny's.. but will be innevitable online.

But lets get back to the origanal topic please;)

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Exactly why ssbb shouldnt be online. And hacks arent allowed in tourny's.. but will be innevitable online.

But lets get back to the origanal topic please;)
But there isn't an AR for the Wii yet...
Hmm, spectators are there for proof that someone didn't hack or not during online tournaments.

Besides, online is good because everytime I want to play against someone, I have to ask my mom to drive me 30 minutes then come back after a few hours every weekend. That or AIM him if he's busy and wants to play smash. WiFi will have very unoticable lag. Only on random FFA's would you experience this because many players might not have the best connections. ;)

kenkowtow

Smash Apprentice
Try not playing your brother for a while, in fact try not playing smash for a while.

After repetitively playing someone for so long, especially if they are worse, it tends to lower the quality of your playing.

It worked for me, hopefully it will work for you.

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
Well, the trick here is spacing. Try using Falco more. Learn to Short Hop Laser consecutive(sp?) times, and learng to pillar is a must. Watch some matches of PC Chris or Forward on Youtube. If you want to counter his mindgames with some others, watch Aniki. And one last thing: did you ever watch the four-part series "Advanced How To Play" on Youtube? If not, go watch it now.

Killress

Smash Ace
Well, the trick here is spacing. Try using Falco more. Learn to Short Hop Laser consecutive(sp?) times, and learng to pillar is a must. Watch some matches of PC Chris or Forward on Youtube. If you want to counter his mindgames with some others, watch Aniki. And one last thing: did you ever watch the four-part series "Advanced How To Play" on Youtube? If not, go watch it now.
I can already shl/pillar, but i dont really like falco. i have decided on 1 character for a main, which is shiek.

This morning he really isnt beating me, i think it was just a fluke, or maybe i just found out how to beat him.:dizzy:

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
LOL @ Kyldare, and you'd be surprised at how Brother-brother relationships make good players. Deff and Lite, in particular. That little kid has SO much potential, and it's not like Deff sucks, either. Lite's Samus....= VERY annoying, lol. Awesomeness to the millionth degree. I think Lite is probably around your bro's age. Oh, and Child Prodigies are awesome, lol. You two sound like you both have potential, and shiek can **** Marth, lol. Good choice. One other Child Prodigy.....Jman.....down right SCARY prodigy.

Killress

Smash Ace
LOL @ Kyldare, and you'd be surprised at how Brother-brother relationships make good players. Deff and Lite, in particular. That little kid has SO much potential, and it's not like Deff sucks, either. Lite's Samus....= VERY annoying, lol. Awesomeness to the millionth degree. I think Lite is probably around your bro's age. Oh, and Child Prodigies are awesome, lol. You two sound like you both have potential, and shiek can **** Marth, lol. Good choice. One other Child Prodigy.....Jman.....down right SCARY prodigy.
We're ok, but we cant really go to tourneys, not really any around here, so its just us 2. lol. he's losing interest very quickly, which is depressing me. hopefully im going to get a wii, and try brawl online at xmas, but idk.. as of now things dont sound good:( And yea, shiek>marth :chuckle:

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
Maybe he's been Mindgaming you the whole time. He pretended he didnt understand.Mindgames, son.

baheffron

Smash Apprentice
LOL so he just woke you up saying mindgames son, then completely owned you? HAHAHA. My best advice for you (if you have already learned all the ATs and can use them naturally, which I assume you have) would be to try and mix up your playing style and be less predictable. You have to learn to read his attacks, too. And I don't really have much advice against Marth because I am a marth main myself :p.

Oh and to all those people saying give brawl a chance - I have given it one month, and it sucks. To the OP - I would advise you not to waste your $ on a wii just for Brawl - unless you want to get super mario galaxy. That game rocks.

And I'm not going to argue with the Brawl fans because I already have and I will most likely never be convinced otherwise... it just simply is not as fun as melee.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Idk about child prodigy if he can beat his older brother >.>

I'm 14 and my 12 year old brother can beat me.. But he's also beaten Husband's Marth, Vidjo's Sheik, and gotten M2K's Marth to one stock.

Top Bottom