• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chess With Your Power 2.0 - IT BEGINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Do not join this tournament if you are not dedicated to playing chess and do not have the patience to play several games at one time. This is probably the least time consuming of all the 'With Your Power', you should fully understand how much time it will take to participate in this tournament before joining.

How This Tournament Works

This is up for debate but most real chess tournaments are done in a round robin format, brackets don't work because of issues of people getting ties.

You must make an account on chess.com. Make sure that your name is exactly the name you have on smashboards, if that name is taken then add 17 at the end. This is so we know who is who and things stay organized.

CHESS.COM --- A HOW TO & FAQ

After registering with chess.com and logging in you will see the following screen:

You can see that under your details is a list of games that you are currently involved in. The Alert box on the right tells you when it is your turn in game, when you have a private messsage, a friend request etc.

You can see that for each game, there is various information. This includes your opponent, whether it is a normal or tournament game, how many moves have been played, the time you or your opponent has left to make a move and finally whose move it is.

By clicking on the game name or the 'Waiting...' bit, you will be taken to the game, which looks like this:

Chess.com provides users with the luxury of making moves at their leisure, but under a time frame agreed with your opponent. When it is your turn to move, the screen will look like this:

You can see there is a chat box, another 'moves' tab which lists the movse, a 'details' tab which lists taken pieces and shows how the game will affect your rating. When you join the site you have a rating of 1200. When you win, this goes up, when you lose it goes down.

After you have moved the piece you wanted to where you want, Click 'Submit Move'. Then you can do whatever you like until your opponent moves, at which point the page will refresh if you stay online and it is your turn again. You can log off, go to sleep, make a tea, kill someone whatever... when you log on again, if it is your turn, you can then make your move.This goes on until there is a winner or a draw. If you don't move in time, you lose.

This form of play is located at 'Online Chess' which is found under the 'Play' tab:

'Live Chess' allows for quicker chess, with 1, 2, 5, 10.. minutes timed chess. Under this type of chess, there is no 'Submit move' button, it's as if you were playing an opponent in real life. Tournaments however, only occur in the 'Online Chess' format.

Tournament games are all set up automatically once all the registrants have joined.

Tournament pairings look like this:

FAQS

How do I join Chess.com?

Go here ----->http://www.chess.com/register.html
It is preferable if you register with the same username as your SmashBoards one as it makes things easier. If that username is taken, simply add 17 eg. N9NE17.

OK, I've joined Chess.com, how do I join the tournament?

You will be sent an invitation on chess.com by the tournament organiser. Accept that and you will be registered

Do I have to challenge people to start the games?

No, the games will start automatically once everyone has registered.

How does the tournament work?

The tournament is a round robin knock out format. In a knock-out the players are put into smaller groups and then the winner(s) of that group are combined with winners of other groups to form a new group. The winner(s) of the final group are the winner(s) of the entire tournament.

How many games will I play?

This is dependent on the number of people in the tournament. With large numbers, there will be several groups, the winner of each group will proceed to the next round. You will play each person in your group twice, once as black and once as white.

How are tournaments scored?

You get 1 point for a win, 0.5 for a draw and 0 for a loss.

How much time do I have to make a move?

This is dependent on the tournament structure, with it usually being 3 days.

How does a Round-Robin Knock-Out tournament work?

A knock-out takes place when there are too many players to play a single round Round-Robin. In a knock-out the players are put into smaller groups and then the winner(s) of that group are combined with winners of other groups to form a new group. The winner(s) of the final group are the winner(s) of the entire tournament.

The tournament is automatic you do not start the games yourself the site creates the games for you. Do not attempt to try to start any of your tournament games yourself, it will throw everything off and you will be wasting your time since it won't count.

Starts: January 20th

Entrants:

1. Wikipedia
2. MASAHIROx
3. cman
4. B-Will
5. Overload
6. dawgbowl
7. Wardub
8. Matunas
9. tshahi10
10. cutter - surgingchaos
11. digitalmaster287
12. karthik_king
13. Werekill
14. SkylerOcon
15. KoRoBeNiKi
16. Hence
17. EnigmaticCam

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I suck at Chess. I suck at most strategy games, because I hate waiting around and thinking. I'm all about action.

My friend's dad was retardedly good at chess. He would sometimes start a game without his queen to add more of a challenge.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I like postin'

I suck at Chess. I suck at most strategy games, because I hate waiting around and thinking. I'm all about action.

My friend's dad was retardedly good at chess. He would sometimes start a game without his queen to add more of a challenge.
Woah, you got into the Back Room, Livvers? Neat-o!

My brother loves Chess... I've never been able to get into it. It's so slow... and.. dull... and... they... all... take.. about... 50... years... to... decide... their... moves... then... they... change... their... mind... and... think... for... another... few... thousand... months... 'sfun.

I prefer a game me and a friend invented once. The pieces can only move once per turn, in any direction, and you need to get them next to an opponent's piece. Then you SMASH your piece on top of the opponent's and watch it fly away!

... come on, we were kids. It wasn't a thinking game, but breaking stuff is the epitome of awesome when you're 9.

And my age.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
when i was a senior in high school, a freshman beat me in chess while blindfolded. About halfway through I didn't believe him, so he turned around and kept playing. It was ridiculous, he would just say his move out loud and my friend would move them for him.

Then I felt really stupid, but we started talking about ****, and one thing led to another, and then I beat him in Pokemon FR/LG. =D go go tom go!

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
when i was a senior in high school, a freshman beat me in chess while blindfolded. About halfway through I didn't believe him, so he turned around and kept playing. It was ridiculous, he would just say his move out loud and my friend would move them for him.

Then I felt really stupid, but we started talking about ****, and one thing led to another, and then I beat him in Pokemon FR/LG. =D go go tom go!
-Gathers around a stupid crowd of street dancers; YOU GOT SERVED!-

That sucks dude. You were probably going against one of those super no lives at chess. I used to play that when I was in middle school, and sure as hell loved it. Seems to me like the 'pros' have their little predetermined games to deal with noobs like us.-_-

Wiki, the best advice I've got is to lurk deep within the annals of google.com and find some advanced tactics, or videos.(Youtube.com should work too):)

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
LOL it isn't a video game, there aren't "advanced tactics". Yes, I spend time and study tactical playing but there aren't advanced tactics you can just learn.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
That's why I want to get taught by a master. I'm just hoping there is one on smashboards, however unlikely that may be.

OffTheChain

Smash Ace
The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent.
Very much agreed, I am a bit of a 'nerd' when it comes to Chess, I like to plan out and think every move through w/o having any douts in what I choose to do, that games too good.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I was in Chess Club in sixth grade. I was pretty good. Placed highly in our final tournament. But, I was only really there because I didn't have much else to do. And they had free Nutter Butters every meeting.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Any possibility of having another Chess bracket for the PRoom, that was pretty good earlier last year. I'm down if we can get another one going Duke.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
If I can get p2p working, I'll be happy to trade yahoo account names with anyone. Chess can be played over Yahoo, if you didn't know.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
If we do a tournament I'm going to host it over chess.com. It is a little more organized there and it forces people to make timely moves while still giving them leisure.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
sorry, double post.

When the time comes, you guys will have to make an account on chess.com make sure that you guys make your account names the same as your smashboards name, if the name is taken then put a 17 after, I'm sure it won't be taken. But let's try to be consistent so that we know who is who.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I guess I'll play for funsies if it happens. Fair warning: Whoever plays against me is going to win.

Also, chess has tactics and probably "advanced" tactics for more skillful players. A tactic is basically the same thing as a strategy >_> C'mon guys.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I'm in! Last time was fun, I even got to the second round...with a bye but to the second round nonetheless!

And I already made an account on that site.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I'm up for it. Was into chess in the past, and getting back into it. I've made an account aswell.

Edit: Wow, I am getting utterly destroyed by these guys lol.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
We are starting this Friday whether there are fourteen players or not. This is going to be treated like a With Your Power contest, as many people that want to enter can enter.

By the way, my name on chess.com is Wikipedia. Look me up and add me when you create an account.

Also, how would you guys feel about me giving chess lessons for those that are interesting. We could really get a good little chess community going here.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Yeah I agree we could start something good.

After this starting tournament, this thread can be used as a place for open invitations when someone's looking for a game or something.

cF=)

Smash Lord
I would jump in, since I haven't lost in my bracket from last tournament, but I'm unavailable friday.

Is it possible to team me with someone who would rather do the game on sunday this week?

unknownforce

Smash Lord
A chess event? Oh, you better believe I'm in!

I've always been looking for chess opponents, but its very difficult. Yahoo is awful for finding decent games, and the place I used to play in when I was younger shut down. I did find one REALLY good place, but you have to pay to play normally (but at least I got one week free!)

I should tell Krazyjones about this. He is an incredible player. I've seen him beat his brothers blindfolded.
As for me, I'm okay I suppose. I've never really played enough to know where I stand. I would guess around 1500-1700, since I went about 50/50 with players in that range during my free week trial online, but its really hard to judge in such a short interval.

Edit-Would everyone want to agree to a 10 minute match? That sounds about right for a tournament.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i was 1800 USCF when i quit 6 years ago

i don't have time to play in your lil tournament this weekend but if anyone ever wants to play just for kicks, my AIM = 'horizonflash', just let me know

and just to add, it's pretty unlikely to have your initial rating exceed 1400 unless you did a ton of side training with really good players before ever actually playing in a tournament

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I think you guys are mistaken. Chess.com has a wonderful turn base system where you have 24 hours to move. The tournament will not be finished in one weekend. This tournament will probably take a month. It can be as fast or as slow as you and your opponent want to make it.

Having said that, there is no reason why you wouldn't have time CF=), if you can sign on for 5 minutes to think about a move then you will be fine. Same for you pockyD.

Also, the site is free and allows you to play an unlimited amount of games. It is a really good site with frequent tournaments and even more perks if you buy a membership.

AltF4 -- Stellar bod
Unknownforce -- Let's do this.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Do you got room for one more Wikipedia? I play regularly on a few online places plus the local club and I'm always up for tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom