• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chess With Your Power 2.0 - IT BEGINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
i was 1800 USCF when i quit 6 years ago

i don't have time to play in your lil tournament this weekend but if anyone ever wants to play just for kicks, my AIM = 'horizonflash', just let me know

and just to add, it's pretty unlikely to have your initial rating exceed 1400 unless you did a ton of side training with really good players before ever actually playing in a tournament
I'd be up for a game sometime. If your rating is 1800, I probably don't stand a chance, but it would be fun to play a strong player.

24 hours per move? That's pretty rough. Are there any other servers we could have the tournament on where it might be possible to finish in a single evening? A month long tournament would be too much for me.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Idk Kyle, i mean it sounds rough but a day long move set gives people like me a chance to play when i might not be here the entire night but able to log on periodically.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Idk Kyle, i mean it sounds rough but a day long move set gives people like me a chance to play when i might not be here the entire night but able to log on periodically.
Good point.

In any case we should play at some point Kevin. Especially since we're from the same state and all!

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Everyone should make an account on chess.com now, use your smashboards username, if that is taken then add a 17 at the end. This is so we can get started immediately tonight, otherwise there could be some major delays while we wait for everyone to create an account.

To reiterate, the tournament is done through chess.com, you have make an account and I will invite you to the tournament, you have to make an account to be added to the pools.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i don't have the focus for a multi-day chess game

especially in a game where you have to think ahead and plan your moves, i'm not going to write down all my thoughts so i don't have to re-think everything 2 days later

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
It has already been proven that having everyone, by their own volition, get with their opponent and scheduling their 30 minute game does not work. People are lazy, irresponsible, unorganized and have lives outside of checking on this site everyday to see if their opponent is online.

You have two choices I guess:
1. Drop out of the tournament.
2. Hope that your opponent will oblige to meet with you at the same time and then you guys can hammer it out in one sitting.

pockyD

Smash Legend
It has already been proven that having everyone, by their own volition, get with their opponent and scheduling their 30 minute game does not work. People are lazy, irresponsible, unorganized and have lives outside of checking on this site everyday to see if their opponent is online.

You have two choices I guess:
1. Drop out of the tournament.
2. Hope that your opponent will oblige to meet with you at the same time and then you guys can hammer it out in one sitting.
well at no point was i "in" the tournament, so i don't think i need to drop out

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
My account name is Tom17.

Wiki, are you going to update the first page here with everyone's corresponding names and a Tio bracket? ^^'

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Galaxy17 is mine.
Galaxy -- Rock and roll ( I hope I haven't used that one already)

count me in

<(^_^)b
MASAHIROx -- Go, go, go!

well at no point was i "in" the tournament, so i don't think i need to drop out
That was addressed to anyone that doesn't like the time frame of the tournament.

But I think once we get this first tournament under us that people will see it is very smooth and well organized.

My account name is Tom17.

Wiki, are you going to update the first page here with everyone's corresponding names and a Tio bracket? ^^'
Yes.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
Well, if theres a tournament count me in. I haven't played chess in a while, but I used to be pretty good at it (though I never played in any tournaments or anything like that).

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Everyone, get your names made on chess.com, then post here what your name is (either your smashboards username or your smashboards username with 17 at the end) . Also, everyone should friend request me on chess.com so that I have easy access to everyone

Right now these people have a chess.com name:

Tom -- Tom17
Galaxy -- Galaxy17
Quilt -- Quilt
N9NE -- N9NE
Wikipedia -- Wikipedia

Also, I sent some of you a tournament request from the username DukeRebuke. That is my actually chess.com name, just accept the request and join the tournament.

Communicate guys, what's going on? Anyone having trouble? Confused? Adi, you said you might want to join but you never officially confirmed, do you still want to play?

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
What's this?!
Riciardos evolves into Riciardos at Chess.com

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I confirmed.

I also have been getting beaten left right and center. I shouldn't accept so many games at once lol. Hopefully, by the time the tournament starts I won't be involved in so many games.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
well wikipedia, if it's of any value, i used to be an australian chess champion in my younger years. (i came 1st (officially 2nd...long story) in the first and last u/8 Australian chess championships, and won the u10 state competition. I slowly drifted away from chess, after that, as other things became more important. I'm not terribly good anymore, but i'll give you a match sometime.

anway, through that, i met some real chess pros. i played with this guy, who very nearly beat gary kasparov at 12 (i was there :p)
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21548360-2702,00.html

cool, huh?

anyway, my chess.com account is Razevex.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Think we can start a few matches while we wait for the others? I'm interested any time.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I don't think you guys understand. I keep getting asked, "So um, tell me who I'm playing so I can start."

No.

It is a ROUND ROBIN tournament, you play EVERYONE. Stop asking me who you are going to play.

Also, I must not have made it clear that you have to accept the invite to the tournament, you should see a notice pop up on the right side of the screen from a user called DukeRebuke. That is my other account. Accept the request so the tournament can start, the pool cannot be made until everyone accepts the invite.

Again to reiterate:

There are no brackets, pools are the equivalent of brackets in regular knock outs.

You are playing everyone.

This tournament is all done automative, once everyone has accepted their invite then the pool is already set up and the games are already started so that you can make your first move. You don't do any work but join the tournament.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
I'm well aware of this. That's why I asked if anyone would be interested in starting now, since we have to play everyone anyway.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I'm well aware of this. That's why I asked if anyone would be interested in starting now, since we have to play everyone anyway.
I know, it was directed to other people, I just happened to post after you.

Dr. Neo, do you want to be a replacement?

KevinM I have not sent you an invite yet, you will be in the second pool.

As of right now, Quilt, Riciardos and Galaxy have not accepted their invites. You need to do so immediately.

Atlus8

Smash Master
. . . (sigh) . . . Chess . . . I started learning this game back in my sophmore year in high school around 04'. I didn't bother learning more during my junior year because the rest of the team graduated the year before. It wasn't until my senior year that I came back into it . . . good times. However, I didn't pick up the game again after I graduated . . . I joined the Melee community and the rest is history.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Ok, I still have these people as listed for not having a chess.com username, they should make one immediately or be replaced.

MASAHIROx
Chozenone

I have also sent out the last batch of invites. Go now and accept them so we can get started.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Am I right in saying that we are just waiting for Quilt to accept and then the games will start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom