• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cheese

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Nice start XD Hope to see more of this. Now we have a Stage Discussion for Link and a Link match up guide. Now we need a killing move guide and what percents they'll kill at and who. O_o I might make one after my Stage discussion.

Finns7

Smash Ace
For char that approach with short hops zair works well. His nanners are GAY but if you can avoid them or use them against him plus abusing your bombs and rang then you should win. Watch his meteor and dont forget about your Dair.

qmann28

Smash Apprentice
One of the best things to do with Diddy is abuse his bananas. If you can avoid that first throw, or even get to it before he does, you should be able to keep him down using his own strategy against him. I've noticed a lot of Diddys aren't too great at handling them.

Diddy's edgeguarding is pretty decent since he can recover well and has 3 spikes, 2 of which help him get back on the stage.

He doesn't have a particularly decent projectile either (unless you count bananas) so it might be useful to try and keep him a little spaced away from you so you can move in with your sword.

4Serial

Smash Lord
The match up isn't 5:5 <_< it's AT LEAST 4:6 in Diddy's favour..

Good Diddy's will spam bananas as much as they can. Diddy's game is based on it.
Seriously, Banana's just ruining your DAC approach..
I haven't seen enough people effectively catching the banana's consistently, and it's a risk that might help Diddy gain more control of the match.
The only ways I've seen people beating Diddy's that know what they are doing is to keep pressuring him and keep him in the air.
It's REALLY hard since Diddy can easily get away and camp platforms, edges, other side of the stages, etc for time for the bananas. It doesn't help that Link isn't the most mobile character.
Shielding doesn't work very well since Diddy has pretty good shield pressure, and thrown bananas somehow get under your shield and trip you anyways. I guess spotdodging helps if you know the banana will go past you, but then he can dash attack or grab or something right after. Rolling might be the best option.. Being in the air helps too, but Link can only do that for like.. 2 seconds.
Z-air won't work very well against a good Diddy. They won't always aproach high enough. Good Diddy's use Glidetossing. A LOT. The only way to beat that are SPACED PROJECTILES. You have to space yourself so you don't get hit by the banana, or anything Diddy will do after. Platforms help so much with this. Use low boomerangs and bombs. You won't get as much control with arrows in this match up unless you can edgeguard with it.
When you get him up close, get him into the air. Grabs, tilts, jab cancels, u-tilt, d-smash, u-smash.. JAB CANCEL IS SO IMPORTANT IN THIS MATCH UP. Jab out of shield > jab cancel > u-tilt or smash. You want to keep Diddy in the air. The third jab doesn't do that. It's only really useful to get him off the edge and set up for an edgeguard, I guess.
I think that juggling is Link's most important damage racker in this match up.
Your safest aerial attack is probably n-air. It's really tricky to hit Diddy with b-air unless you're edgeguarding him, and you have to space f-airs. If you have a bomb, it's probably better than any if his air moves unless you're going for the KO.
Diddy has f-smash and d-smash out of shield. Both are good KO moves. His f-smash does like 29% (BROKEN) if both attacks hit. You can shield grab both of them. Basically, just space attacks on his shield really well, bait him, and punish. Be really careful when doing anything because Diddy can punish Link a lot more easily than Link can punish Diddy...

There's more to this match up, but I'm gonna stop typing because I've done enough for tonight.

D

Deleted member

zair: hard to use

maybe not as short as kirby, but diddy is still short

jab cancel: fantastic

...jab cancel is fantastic against everybody lol

Bouse

Smash Ace
...jab cancel is fantastic against everybody lol
Certain characters are fast enough to get out of it with their silly instant/near instant moves. Canceling the jab doesn't always work. A few characters can get in an attack in between the second jab and the move you cancel into. Some characters are just too fast, or have instant/near instant attacks. Good players are going to know about Link's jab cancel and abuse that gap if they have a quick move. Certain characters it's easier to pull off on. Namely the other Kong.

Though I may be thinking of some other annoying character a friend plays. They all kind of blend together in a kaleidoscope of rage.

The match up isn't 5:5 <_< it's AT LEAST 4:6 in Diddy's favour..
I'm very accustomed to this match up, and 4:6 is as low as I'd go. Link has a few decent strategies to control the match.

Seriously, Banana's just ruining your DAC approach..
I haven't seen enough people effectively catching the banana's consistently, and it's a risk that might help Diddy gain more control of the match.
The only ways I've seen people beating Diddy's that know what they are doing is to keep pressuring him and keep him in the air.
Catching with the DAC and the Dash really make the fight much easier. I spent 10 minutes practicing DAC catching and the DAC with Banana in hand-->Fsmash. While I agree that throwing his bananas back at him doesn't guarentee a win and can infact screw you over, you need to know when his bananas would help you to gain an advantage or would screw you.

Good Diddy's use Glidetossing. A LOT. The only way to beat that are SPACED PROJECTILES. You have to space yourself so you don't get hit by the banana, or anything Diddy will do after. Platforms help so much with this. Use low boomerangs and bombs. You won't get as much control with arrows in this match up unless you can edgeguard with it.
Diddy Kong's can do scary things with Glidetossing, God knows I've seen that.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
From a neutral point of view, I'd say it's 60:40 or 65:35 for Diddy

Links dacus is completely messed up by diddys bananas and he can combo you in the air. His grab game is nice too and he can Shield Grab a lot of links attacks. Zair isn't going to hit too often against Diddy, since he's small.

Diddy can rack up damage with combos, minimize space for link on the stage and his speed + priority easily beat links melee efforts. Glide toss...well I can't stand it <_<

Bouse

Smash Ace
I'd say this is about finished, unless people have anything else to add. Diddy Kong entry will be finalized 12:01 am 8/20/08, unless discussion progresses. Next will probably be someone at the top of the "tier list".

4Serial

Smash Lord
I haven't faced enough good DDD's to tell you the brest way to fight him but..
z-air obviously *****, his waddle spam beats your projectiles except maybe bombs
I think Link can jab DDD to get out of the chaingrab
DDD's edgeguarding will **** you so DI and airdodge > tether recovery
His range beats yours, his spam beats yours
Pressure a lot with Z-airs, jab a lot to get him away, jab cancel to rack up damage
At higher percents, you can just get him up in the air and read his airdodge with a d-air to kill him
Just stay within mid range and space yourself so you don't get grabbed and apply pressure <_<

D

Deleted member

Certain characters are fast enough to get out of it with their silly instant/near instant moves. Canceling the jab doesn't always work. A few characters can get in an attack in between the second jab and the move you cancel into. Some characters are just too fast, or have instant/near instant attacks. Good players are going to know about Link's jab cancel and abuse that gap if they have a quick move. Certain characters it's easier to pull off on. Namely the other Kong.
thats where mindgames come in :p

i usually jab twice and then do another move, but i found out that most people might drop their shield after the second hit and try to attack, this is where you do your third slice and push them back. i call it jab resetting because it is a great way to get your enemy off your nuts and "reset" approaches and defense.

D3

Matchup
Link: >6
D3: <4

D3 fcking sucks hardcore. everytime i play a d3 i at least 3 stock them once, if you have decent spacing and understand that he has like 6 decent moves then you shouldnt have any problem.

Jab cancel - fantastic

The jab reset and jab cancel **** d3's to no end.

Zair - Fantastic

since d3 is a big character the zair hurts him hardcore as both hits always connect

How not to get grabbed - jab reset, zair out of shield, spacing

Recovery -like every other match, DI is the factor that decides if you live or not, pulling out a bomb in mid air, using the bow or nairing will also help you to not get edge guarded.

Finishing moves - Ftilt, up b, dair, fsmash, dtilt

i say dtilt because multijump characters get ***** because their jumps are so slow that they end up jumping into the dair's spike.

homework -spacing, if you have good spacing this battle will not be a problem.

I play d3 and i know how to play him correctly, D3 sucks i dont get why nobody else understands this.

Finns7

Smash Ace
D3 can get comboed very badly by link because of his wieght. The only thing going for D3 in this matchup is the cg which if your not careful can kill you if you fail to recover correctly. Avoid his bairs if possible. D3 is huge and you can chain together many attacts on him. Ill add more when Im not as busy.

Bouse

Smash Ace
homework -spacing, if you have good spacing this battle will not be a problem.
Just to let you know, Homework is D3 reading material I'm going to snipe from their forums. Things like their resource threads and chain throw guides.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Zair is pretty **** on the bigger characters. :p Look at him! He's just waiting to be Zaired XD

Jab cancel works nicely on him. He's big, like I said before, and the knockback (or lack there of) won't be too large, making it easy to combo.

The CG? I deal with it with rang and Zair, and the occasional bomb.

Shield game? Um... use it against the Bair of Death and the Waddle Dees. Oh and his Dtilt. It can combo into bigger and better things DX

For some reason, Fair seems to work to edge guard. Oh and Dair XD Gotta love that Dair. Oh, and on his Up B, Gale Guard the fat penguin. He's dead after the rang bounces off.

Dedede outspams Link with his minions. O_o So Bombs at long range, rang at mid, and arrows at close. Arrows are more easily spent than a bomb which is slower and the rang doesn't always come back right away. So yeah.

Grab range? Well, same as all matches. He's big so it might be easier. I don't depend on grabs so much. :S So yeah.

Finishing moves. Dair, Spin Attack, Fsmash, Dsmash, and Fair.

My homework is pure experience online. Lagless, I assure you.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Oh and for the record, you don't HAVE TO FOLLOW THE ****ED OUTLINE. That's just a general suggestion. The only specifics I want are Zair+Jab Cancel o_o

Thought I'm pretty sure that covers all the bases with D3 regardless...

Anyhell, just don't follow the "bullet points". While it helps me, it also hinders your responses. I'm a very good writer, and I want to capture the general perspective of that character from the Link community and write his section accordingly. I don't want this to turn into some Lord of the Rings nonsense* like:
D3 has a chain grab.
Link has a Zair.
D3 killed 24 orcs.
Link killed 28 orcs.

*For the record: Tolkien was great for how he invented an entire fleshed out universe, he was just a very stale writer.

I want this guide to be accurate, appealing to the eye, well categorized, and entertaining to read.

Edit: King Dedede entry is up. Let me know if I missed anything or if anything is inaccurate. Also let me know if you see any typos. I'll always proofread before I put it in the main post, but it'd be nice just to point some stuff out.

D

Deleted member

Just to let you know, Homework is D3 reading material I'm going to snipe from their forums. Things like their resource threads and chain throw guides.
ah, ok lol

thought it was basic techniques you should learn before you fight this battle lol

D

Deleted member

zair: near useless

the only time you should ever fathom using the zair in this match is if theyre on a platform

Jab Cancel: Fantastic

this is what will help you win the match. Kirby's range is garbage, the only moves that have decent range are his dtilt and ftilt. if you space your jab cancels then most kirby's can't even get a hit in.

seriously this match is in kirby's favor like none other. his edge guarding can seriously kill you at 0% (the wall, double dair, etc.) He can get an easy 40%+ just from the spawn fthrow combo and after that he gets a "damage drought" until around 80% which is when you'll become kill-able. from 50-80% is where you'll actually be able to fight back without getting *****. I never use the up b to kill kirby because if it doesnt connect, you're screwed hardcore. instead i use the ftilt, fsmash, dair and dsmash (dtilt is very situational)

If you want to win this match you better have amazing spacing and an amazing defensive game or else you automatically lose (if you're fighting a good kirby that is.)

Link Hero of Hyrule

Smash Cadet
when I vs a kirby, I stay near a edge, kirby usually spams or atleast uses his down special move, I roll so faceing towards edge of stage, throw boomarang cant hurt him but pushes him off the stage, falling to fast to reccover. This happens almost every match I play when vsing Kirby

D

Deleted member

when I vs a kirby, I stay near a edge, kirby usually spams or atleast uses his down special move, I roll so faceing towards edge of stage, throw boomarang cant hurt him but pushes him off the stage, falling to fast to reccover. This happens almost every match I play when vsing Kirby
that is the exact opposite of what you want to do, and that kirby is terrible, sorry

Finns7

Smash Ace
My main Kirby player I play is 8bit and when I get back I will share my thoughts.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
As always spacing is really important i find....especially with kirby.

Kirby has some really nice combo's on link and his best ones rely on grabs and utilts. which have short range.
I personally don't think the zair is near useless...i think it is one step above that..on the ground it is pretty bad but once kirby goes to the air i find retreating zairs to be somewhat effective. there are a lot of kirby's who use the air to approach so retreating zairs can be effective...

Bassically only use retreating zairs. you probably won't hit but it make give you a break in kirby's approach tempo.

Never do approaching zairs though. They will shield grab it and start their amazing grab and utilt combos

Jab cancel = kirby's short range :D for link. Jab cancel into a quick d-smash and send the light guy flying up for a kill.

YOU MUST RECOVER!!!!~~~~Having trouble recovering????? No Duh you are.....*cries at wall of bairs and dairs*.........try to airdoge zair if you are in that recovery range....could save you from being gimped. or kirby will just try to anticipate when your airdodge ends... :(

seriously the only way to really beat Kirby is to have really good spacing and to change tempo because Kirby will be in charge of tempo a lot. That means like the little things....arrow cancels especially....can give you a break in tempo and a chance to breath.

Edit for accuracy....certain things i said were just obvious and did not need to be mentioned.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Kirby can combo Link very very well at low percents. I find that if your caught in a grab do your best to Di the upair after he fthrows you this will not allow him to follow up. If your off the edge and your playing a decent Kirbz your prob dead, so recover fast and DI upwards. Use your projectiles and play defensive until an opening shows then procede to ****. Kirby is light so I use jabs cancels and projectiles alot so my kill moves are fresh. Also If a Kirby goes up and does DownB he is prob a noob. Imo if you DI his uptilts and break combos then you can win.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Heh.....actually you were right......i said some things i prolly shouldn't of said on the account I have only played one good kirby......

So i removed some obvious information as well as some ******** information after doing some research on the kirby boards.

Bouse

Smash Ace
I was referring more to the point that you write like a 10 year old, but it's nice that you did some research and edited your post.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
It is a problem i know....I got all A's in highschool every subject except for English....constant C's cause a can't write for ****......probably why nobody reads my projectile matchup guide.

By the way there was another thread like this but it died so i am glad you brought it back up....if this matchup guide makes it past a dozen chars ill call for a sticky because 1 good information and 2 neatly formated.

Fin is right though....D-special is for noob kirby's. Good kirby's will only use this move in a few situations.
1. when they are recovering they use it to fast fall if they were sent high off the stage.
2. mindgames. mix up 2 down b's or down be and an fair retreat. mindgames is the only other time it is used

Finns7

Smash Ace
This thread should show vids of Links fighting the characters discussed and should also include combos or chained attacks that work well against them.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
This thread should show vids of Links fighting the characters discussed and should also include combos or chained attacks that work well against them.
1. ^ That'd be sick.

2. What happens if you have a bomb in hand, then get sucked up by Kirby, does it explode? I've never thought of trying it...because sometimes my friend likes to suicide when he's low on lives, but running into his mouth with an about to explode bomb sounds like fun.

Oh, and this match-up thread is much better than the others so far. They didn't really organize shtuff that well....Thanks for making this!

4Serial

Smash Lord
Since Kirby's up+b doesn't automatically grab the edge, you can just jump out there and d-air him if you think he'll use up+b.
You guys keep mentioning that d-throw > u-tilt.. what about f-throw > u-air > repeat/fsmash/hammer/copy?Same thing, I guess. Don't get grabbed...
Fullhop double arrows help. Fullhop>double jump triple arrows is good too, but don't risk using your second jump if you're near the edge or at a high percent.
Do a fullhop arrow, and if he's still far, do the second one. If he closes in, you can n-air > jab him instead of using the second arrow because you can get shieldgrabbed. You can also just jump away from him instead of n-air if you feel you must retreat.

Everyone explained everything else.

Get Deva in here. "kirby is easy" lol

D

Deleted member

Ya seriously. That's sum serious WTF.

Arkive, I liked your old avatar better. :\ It created like a sharp solid attribute about you.
thats because i've been repping the skull kid for 2+ years on everything (steam, xfire, youtube, SWF, AiB, other forums, etc) lol, if theres a universal poll about it then i'll change back :p

but if not ill stay with the haruhi suzumiya avatar :3

edit: i just typed in ArkiveZero in google and the first picture on there is the skullkid :D

Bouse

Smash Ace
You all are silly and like explaining that "using Link's arrows bomb and boomerang is a good thing." If the people reading this don't know this stuff by now there's a problem <_<;.

Once we have a larger library of matches uploaded on YouTube I may start to post an exemplary match that would best show the matchup. I have the video of ArkiveZero against 8bit in the Finishing Moves section, but I won't develop video sections for these guys until I can do it for every character.

Edit: I realized I violated my internet policy of "assuming everyone is an idiot" so I added a "Build up the damage" section. Which is a section I feel is not needed for D3 but I'll work on one for Diddy Kong and D3 (D3's is really self-explanatory but again... people are idiots.)

Deva

Smash Lord
ZOMFG guys, Kirby is sooooooooo easy =P.

lol, but honestly, I dont think he's as bad as most players make him out to be. He's not that fast so it's easy to spam against him, and aside from that really gay combo he has at 0%, he has trouble landing a kill move on Link. That's why he'll rely heavily on gimps. As long as you DI though, you'll rarely be in a position to be gimped. Also remember to throw a rang or something while recovering as to prevent him from even getting in position to edge hog.

On stage just play a good spacing game and you should be fine.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Well it looks like Kirby is almost done. Kirby will be finalized and added by 12:01 am 8/22/08. Expect the next character by 10:00 pm EST today.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I'll put in 2 cents right here. Zair is great but not fantastic. Its fantastic because Snake is a taller character so zair him whenever you have to opportunity. However snake has an amazing crouch which can render zair nearly useless I find i use dsmash against a crouching snake to either hit or get him out of crouching so i can zair more. That's why I believe zair to be just great but not fantastic

I believe shield grabbing is your friend in this match up. I find shield grabbing a must use tool when going u against f-tilts.

As far as jab cancel goes it is fantastic as usual. Cancel into a spin attack for some knock back or cancel into a grab to renew your moves and thwart the evil stale move negation

On a side note Link CAN Cypher grab. Characters with tether/grapple grabs can grab characters in air during the initial frames of the grab.

Thats about all i can say....anybody i ever played that mained snake switched to meta because their tier whores and found out he was better. There fore my knowledge of snake is kind outdated.

Too bad snake lives for ever and has the most broken u-tilt in the game
I also believe snake can cancel is f tilt for mind games similar to our jab cancel
I thought it was 60 40 snake but i'm interested in what others say

There are seriously worse matchups (Kirby Metaknight Falco)

Top Bottom