• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Tactical Discussion

Toby.

Smash Master
Haha agreed.

Regarding the upsmash, I would expect that you could do it standing. I'm pretty sure that the first hit of Usmash is equal to or longer than the first jab. If not, it would really depend on how close you were at the beginning of the jab.

Onxy

Smash Lord
never thought of it but sounds pretty effective. would u have to dash or could u do it standing? char's up smash's second hit usually doesn't hit if it is dashed.
Depends where they are. Wing Attack has deceptive horizontal range, so if you are close enough with jab, go for it, if they are too far, you might have to dash.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
so charizards uthrow kills better than his Dthrow.... anyone else surprised??? Its cool for me, now i can spam that amazing dthrow without feeling guilty and save uthrow, which i rarely use anyway, btw,squirtles uthrw also kills, but not as well as his dthrow

zeta

Smash Journeyman
after chaining back throws and grab release, up throw imo is the best option for damage. It does 10% thats what i think about. I guess it really depends on stage, character and positioning on if you want to use it for damage or kills.

Toby.

Smash Master
so charizards uthrow kills better than his Dthrow.... anyone else surprised??? Its cool for me, now i can spam that amazing dthrow without feeling guilty and save uthrow, which i rarely use anyway, btw,squirtles uthrw also kills, but not as well as his dthrow
Not much point spamming dthrow unless you're going for a gimp/normal kill, really. It does a miniscule amount of damage :ohwell:

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
yeah i use the most for gimpng, charizard can easily KO on percents below the Dthrow kill range... and it looks soooo cool, btw, uthrow isalso chars most damaging throw, it deals 11%

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yep, Charizard has a lot of KO moves and some work below 100%. You just have to line it up.

gantrain05

Smash Master
the only problem is lining up kill moves for charizard, especially against speedier opponents he just doesn't do as well, most of his kill moves are rather slow, and im not exacly sure how his Fair works, but sometimes it will do alot of knockback, but sometimes it wont even stun them and i end up eating an arial.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
You mean actually hitting them with his kill moves? Well, due to Charizard's high amount of them, there might be a Kill move for each character. I came up with a theory, somebody test it!

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
the only problem is lining up kill moves for charizard, especially against speedier opponents he just doesn't do as well, most of his kill moves are rather slow, and im not exacly sure how his Fair works, but sometimes it will do alot of knockback, but sometimes it wont even stun them and i end up eating an arial.
Dtilt, Utilt, Uthrow, Bair say hi versus light characters.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Fair has a sweetspot near zard, the hitbox is deceptive. If you are hitting it near the edge of the flames, it will just nick them, kinda like a phantom hitbox.

Btw, Dthrow kills at ridiculous percentage. His grab is fast.

Usmash comes out ridiculously fast. It helps that it ko's off the top too.

You mean actually hitting them with his kill moves? Well, due to Charizard's high amount of them, there might be a Kill move for each character. I came up with a theory, somebody test it!
I almost wanna ask why you even bothered saying anything at all.

And G&W. You are wrong.

Dtilt, Utilt, Uthrow, Bair say hi versus light characters.
^ What percentage does utilt kill at?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I almost wanna ask why you even bothered saying anything at all.

And G&W. You are wrong.
Wait, did I say every character? I meant almost every character, of course there's someone who slips through the cracks (G&W was one).

Onxy

Smash Lord
I'm lost.

A kill move for Hack and Watch? Usmash does well.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Charizard's Up-tilt KO's only has slightly less vertical knockback than his Up-smash. I'm not exactly sure about the numbers on Up-tilt, but I'm sure it's a bit over 100%.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
so all of charizards tilts have ko potential..... cool.... even snake only has two killing tilts... btw, ttilting has become more dificult to me, the jump from wiimote to gc controller made me feel its too sensible

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well duh, in an interview Sakurai confessed that he designed Brawl for the GC controller, of course it's the best.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
i <3 the up smash now almost as much as i <3 rock smash. especially after spamming rock smashes no one approaches from directly in front anymore. lulz.

that there is mind games!

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Interesting... Charizard = best Pokemon on PT. If you didn't get it by now, go **** yourself.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Interesting... Charizard = best Pokemon on PT. If you didn't get it by now, go **** yourself.
Wow, I don't believe Charizard is the best Pokemon because of he ground attack speed. It's a bit on the slow side, and his aerials are oddly his best attacks. It doesn't really mesh well because of his size. He's a good Pokemon, but honestly Ivy has the overall better stats.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Umm, Onxy, don't you suck as Charizard? IF so, why are you judging a character, you're not good at. It really makes you look bad. I know, I already did.

Onxy

Smash Lord
He's my worst, but I don't suck with him. I've had practice with him for a while, but I suck with him online the most. Also, I've mained PT since I first got the game, so I'm not just randomly judging someone that I don't know, because I know Charizard, trust me.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I did too, and Charizard's my best. Also, his attacks aren't that slow (or at least not as slow as most heavyweight characters)

Onxy

Smash Lord
His Ftilt is, and there are soooo many situations where that should be faster. His jab > Ftilt. His Ftilt is not the reason of course, but his aerials are infinitly better than his ground attacks.

Fsmash: Okay from time to time.
Dsmash: Garbage.
Usmash: His best smash (PT's best smash for that matter)
Ftilt: Okay, but needs to be faster.
Dtilt: Shorter range than Ftilt, faster, and more knockback.
Utilt: Only useful against aerial approaches.
Dash: Kidding me?
Jab: Almost as good as Ike's, and that's saying a lot!
Grab: His best attack for ground-only.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
So, play an aerial and Grab game? If so, Charizard is essentially Squirtle (who also heavily relies on grabs and aerials, as we all know). In full reality, his tilts and Usmash are much more effective than you think Onxy.

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
charizards dsmash is not garbage.

its faster than his fsmash and it has amazing range.
infact i think its the best downsmash the PT has via coverage and strength

Onxy

Smash Lord
So, play an aerial and Grab game? If so, Charizard is essentially Squirtle (who also heavily relies on grabs and aerials, as we all know). In full reality, his tilts and Usmash are much more effective than you think Onxy.
When did I say that? I'm just saying his aerials are better, which is kinda odd for the kind of character Charizard is.

charizards dsmash is not garbage.

its faster than his fsmash and it has amazing range.
infact i think its the best downsmash the PT has via coverage and strength
All 3 Pokemon have garbage Dsmashes. I would say Charizard's Dsmash is good, except for one thing. It doesn't hit aerial opponents in the slightest. Even a short-hop can avoid this.

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
dsmashes arent supposed to counter ariels.. they are meant to cover both sides of the ground and to counter against rolling.

his downsmash comes out reasonably quick, hit box on the ground is large and powerful, kill move at correct percentage

Onxy

Smash Lord
dsmashes arent supposed to counter ariels.. they are meant to cover both sides of the ground and to counter against rolling.

his downsmash comes out reasonably quick, hit box on the ground is large and powerful, kill move at correct percentage
No...you don't get it. DK's dsmash can hit them when they are a bit in the air. DDD's can do the same thing. Bowser's also and etc. Charizard's does NOTHING when they even slightly off the ground. When do you fight opponents that stay on the ground the whole time? It's garbage.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
When did I say that? I'm just saying his aerials are better, which is kinda odd for the kind of character Charizard is.
Yeah, well, his aerials make an aerial game viable, but I typically recommend the grab game the most, being Charizard's ace/calling card. His aerials (and specials and tilts) allow for more variety to him. Charizard is more than one way (in contrast to Squirtle who who is almost entirely grab and aerial or Ivyssaur who is mostly spacing and camping)

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
i dont think you get it..

if your using dsmashes to counter ariels... you have a serious flaw in your game.

dsmashes are to counter rolling opponents, just cause certain characters have a downsmash can hit ariels doesnt mean that s what its meant for.

smash 101

duh?

zeta

Smash Journeyman
guys guys guys calm down. If there is one thing we can agree on its ivy has the worst down smash =O

Top Bottom