• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Matchup Discussion Thread

SHIP

Smash Apprentice
I forgot that one. I mostly use it for Zelda's telegame, it helps few other characters.
Charizard vs. DK?
I got destroyed by a DK in pools at a tournament this weekend. His nair has so much priority and comes out so quick it beat most of my stuff. Pretty sure you can jab him out of it though. His Fairs reach and killing power got me every time I tried to recover high. I was making a comeback in game 2 but Sd'd :sadeyes:. I feel like the matchup is actually pretty good for Charizard and I just played it badly.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I got destroyed by a DK in pools at a tournament this weekend. His nair has so much priority and comes out so quick it beat most of my stuff. Pretty sure you can jab him out of it though. His Fairs reach and killing power got me every time I tried to recover high. I was making a comeback in game 2 but Sd'd :sadeyes:. I feel like the matchup is actually pretty good for Charizard and I just played it badly.
I feel that your Glair beats any edgeguard he has. Also you can outrange him with RARed Bairs or Nairs. He can combo you like Krazy but you can to. I think that it might be a +1 for Charizard.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
I forgot that one. I mostly use it for Zelda's telegame, it helps few other characters.
Charizard vs. DK?
Pretty freaking good for Zard. If DK is offstage he's essentially dead since Nair can stuff any of his recoveries. The only thing is that DK gets some pretty good combos on Zard, but unless they are 0-deaths all the time, he will still loose. Also he doesn't really have any answer to Nair.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Pretty freaking good for Zard. If DK is offstage he's essentially dead since Nair can stuff any of his recoveries. The only thing is that DK gets some pretty good combos on Zard, but unless they are 0-deaths all the time, he will still loose. Also he doesn't really have any answer to Nair.
DK has a fairly good approach against Zard, with a lot of mix-ups. Nair isn't quick enough to be used defensively against DK. Also DK is cake to approach so stay on the offensive.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
DK has a fairly good approach against Zard, with a lot of mix-ups. Nair isn't quick enough to be used defensively against DK. Also DK is cake to approach so stay on the offensive.
What sorts of approaches does he have that can't be anti air-d or stuffed with Nair? His Nair is fast, but you shouldn't ever be that close to him (it is also isn't safe on shield and can be stuffed with Jab if you're fast enough). Bair is good but is it by no means safe. Fair has range but you can se it coming a mile away. Dair and Uair aren't useful. Dash attack can be blocked and punished. His best approach is probably Bair, but if you're facing away from him it's a free Nair, if your facing him it's a shield grab if he miss spaces it or at worst you return to the neutral game where you can grossly outspace him with Nair.

I've fought a lot of DK's and the MU is pretty good in Zard's favor in the neutral game and definitely for edge guarding

Last edited:

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
People who think the Mario matchup is bad ... yea right man.

Just use reverse nair to keep Mario out unil he's around 30 and don't go in a try to pull any grab chase shenanigans until then. RAR nair is his bread and butter, but it doesn't let you get in against your opponents until 30-40% range depending on the character. This is a mistake most zards make, they get to comfortable rushing in with grab/tech chase set ups when it's way too early for that kind of thing. Also, Mario fireball gets eaten up by RAR hair and Mario can actually get punished in the act of firing one off if your RAR hair is positioned correctly.

Other than locking him down with RAR Nair, not getting to grab/chase happy at early percentages, shutting off both cape and fireball with that same bread and butter move (cape either leaves you in a neutral position or flips you around to just get Mario hit on the other side. Fireballs get eaten up with either just RAR hair or RAR Nair, Down Smash) use fair defensively when your reading him getting frustrated with your RAR Nairs. This sets up for easy juggles/low percent kills. Also, Zard straight molests most of the cast in the offstage game so using either RAR Nair or defensive fair into juggle will get you in a very good position for Zard fairly quickly.

SHIP

Smash Apprentice
Anyone got any advice for the Charizard - Bowser matchup? I keep getting wrecked by armour and the range of his forward air. Also his down B makes it hard to follow up for kills after landing a launching move. Even if I can bait out the down B I have trouble punishing it.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman

Just use reverse nair to keep Mario out unil he's around 30 and don't go in a try to pull any grab chase shenanigans until then. RAR nair is his bread and butter, but it doesn't let you get in against your opponents until 30-40% range depending on the character. This is a mistake most zards make, they get to comfortable rushing in with grab/tech chase set ups when it's way too early for that kind of thing. Also, Mario fireball gets eaten up by RAR hair and Mario can actually get punished in the act of firing one off if your RAR hair is positioned correctly.

Other than locking him down with RAR Nair, not getting to grab/chase happy at early percentages, shutting off both cape and fireball with that same bread and butter move (cape either leaves you in a neutral position or flips you around to just get Mario hit on the other side. Fireballs get eaten up with either just RAR hair or RAR Nair, Down Smash) use fair defensively when your reading him getting frustrated with your RAR Nairs. This sets up for easy juggles/low percent kills. Also, Zard straight molests most of the cast in the offstage game so using either RAR Nair or defensive fair into juggle will get you in a very good position for Zard fairly quickly.
Jab also shuts down fireballs and hits him to boot

Mr.Random

Smash Ace

It is a bad match up. Nair is laggy btw and I can just grab you when you land and then get a huge combo. D smash can be baited rather easily and I'll just short hop towards you to avoid the hit box and get another combo. Jab is actually a pretty good option though. Let me ask you something. Which Mario are you facing? I'd like to see a video proving it's a bad MU.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
It is a bad match up. Nair is laggy btw and I can just grab you when you land and then get a huge combo. D smash can be baited rather easily and I'll just short hop towards you to avoid the hit box and get another combo. Jab is actually a pretty good option though. Let me ask you something. Which Mario are you facing? I'd like to see a video proving it's a bad MU.
On the contrary I agree with TT. you can stuff any of his approaches with Nair/Jab. If you're getting punished for it, you're using Nair wrong. You aren't supposed to try and hit with the start up of it when people are on the ground, else you will get WD OOS grabbed. If you use it like a RAR anti air when Mario approaches with a fireball, it will stuff the fire and you can't block in the air so you're going to get hit. Otherwise, you should always be trying to hit with the backswing of the tail to keep it safe. Same principle applies to jab

Also Dsmash shouldn't be used every except for tech chases and MAYBE crouch cancels. If the Zard you're playing is trying for random Dsmashes please punish him/her for it because that's just a bad idea.

I do however, agree that Mario get's some silly combos on Zard, a lot of characters do. A grab can very easily equal 40-80% and possibly a bad offstage position. So while I wouldn't say it's bad for Mario, a good Zard can zone him out incredibly hard and maybe only give him a few opportunities for combos.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
On the contrary I agree with TT. you can stuff any of his approaches with Nair/Jab. If you're getting punished for it, you're using Nair wrong. You aren't supposed to try and hit with the start up of it when people are on the ground, else you will get WD OOS grabbed. If you use it like a RAR anti air when Mario approaches with a fireball, it will stuff the fire and you can't block in the air so you're going to get hit. Otherwise, you should always be trying to hit with the backswing of the tail to keep it safe. Same principle applies to jab

Also Dsmash shouldn't be used every except for tech chases and MAYBE crouch cancels. If the Zard you're playing is trying for random Dsmashes please punish him/her for it because that's just a bad idea.

I do however, agree that Mario get's some silly combos on Zard, a lot of characters do. A grab can very easily equal 40-80% and possibly a bad offstage position. So while I wouldn't say it's bad for Mario, a good Zard can zone him out incredibly hard and maybe only give him a few opportunities for combos.
Again I need video evidence. What Mario player are you facing? He doesn't sound good. Most Zards I've seen on Youtube against Mario (and Zards I faced) usually get beaten, not destroyed but solid 2 stocks. Especially M2K's Mario. There needs to be more Zards going to tournaments. Please, I'm not saying your argument is invalid I just need proof.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
I'll have a match against the 4th best in CO uploaded in a few days. It was close, but it isn't as bad as you think it is.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I'll have a match against the 4th best in CO uploaded in a few days. It was close, but it isn't as bad as you think it is.
I'm not saying it's 100% in Mario's favor. That's the beauty of PM, but it is in Mario's favor due a good projectle and better punishment, but Zard has range on his side and is pretty decent at edgeguarding. I'd say 60:40 Mario.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Again I need video evidence. What Mario player are you facing? He doesn't sound good. Most Zards I've seen on Youtube against Mario (and Zards I faced) usually get beaten, not destroyed but solid 2 stocks. Especially M2K's Mario. There needs to be more Zards going to tournaments. Please, I'm not saying your argument is invalid I just need proof.
Here's the vid, again, not super good for either, we went really even. He got big combos but I could space him out and kill the pills with jab or Nair. So while his combo game is better, his projectiles can be nullified pretty substantially.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvPLYXtg9Jw

I'd maybe agree with 60:40 but I'm leaning towards maybe 50:50, but that's just me

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Here's the vid, again, not super good for either, we went really even. He got big combos but I could space him out and kill the pills with jab or Nair. So while his combo game is better, his projectiles can be nullified pretty substantially.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvPLYXtg9Jw

I'd maybe agree with 60:40 but I'm leaning towards maybe 50:50, but that's just me
You should face me. Do you have wifi? That dude is decent but he could have shielded a lot of those nairs and wavedashed OoS to grab. He also missed some combos that would have lead to death. I know wifi is irritating but I just want to show you some things.

Last edited:

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
You should face me. Do you have wifi? That dude is decent but he could have shielded a lot of those nairs and wavedashed OoS to grab. He also missed some combos that would have lead to death. I know wifi is irritating but I just want to show you some things.
I'll be getting dolphin net-play in a few weeks, playing on wifi won't prove anything with the lag.

In my defense however, I did prove that Mario's pill/fireball game can be taken down by a smart Zard player, the combos are up to skill. Also in my defense I missed a lot of combos that would have been 0-deaths on him as well. I'm aware that you can WD OOS grab me, which is why recently I'll generally aim for the backswing if we're grounded, or I wait for the jump. But if Mario wants to throw pills he has to commit to a jump, which Nair is completely safe. About 80-90% of the Nair's I got in these matches hit Mario in the air.

If I can scare you to stop using one of your best strategies and force you to stay grounded, I can switch up how I hit my Nairs and keep it safe because you can't punish the backswing.

I'll let you know when I have net play and we can discuss this more, but I still maintain that mario's projectile game isn't as good against Zard as it is against a lot of other characters, his combo game is good but by that token, so is Zard's. A single Dthrow from either character can be a 0-death if played accordingly.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
here's somethign I think we should do:

go around to other MU threads and see what they say about their char's MU vs us. Copy/Paste it here, and we can go over their side and then compare our views to try and get an educated consensus?

BluntedMask

Smash Apprentice
After going through some of the other character threads about MUs. No one seems to care enough about charizard to have anything written down.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
We should probably organize this a bit more, maybe go through the MUs in the Op in order?

Fox was recently said to be slight disadvantage?

What about ZSS?
Sorry about not replying sooner, the last couple months were the last of this semester so I was focusing on school.

Should they be in alphabetical order, or the order on the selection screen? I'll still put them in red>yellow>green order but will organize those within those colors better. It should be less length to scroll to get to a MU that people frequently have trouble on.

Where was Fox said to be slight disadvantage?

ZSS was said to be bad early on in this thread from Kink-Link5. There are currently no detailed strategies on her but I've put her in red anyway, as Kink Link is pretty experienced. If the MU has changed since then, though, I'll be glad to take the red off.

Edit: I've updated the first post with all the strategies since my break. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Dandy Lion

Smash Rookie
Should they be in alphabetical order, or the order on the selection screen? I'll still put them in red>yellow>green order but will organize those within those colors better. It should be less length to scroll to get to a MU that people frequently have trouble on.
I prefer alphabetical, but nothing CTRL+F can't deal with.

I still find Pit to be one of my hardest matches. I don't know what to do when they're balls-to-the-wall aggressive and I get fair'd for days. ._.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
What sorts of approaches does he have that can't be anti air-d or stuffed with Nair? His Nair is fast, but you shouldn't ever be that close to him (it is also isn't safe on shield and can be stuffed with Jab if you're fast enough). Bair is good but is it by no means safe. Fair has range but you can se it coming a mile away. Dair and Uair aren't useful. Dash attack can be blocked and punished. His best approach is probably Bair, but if you're facing away from him it's a free Nair, if your facing him it's a shield grab if he miss spaces it or at worst you return to the neutral game where you can grossly outspace him with Nair.

I've fought a lot of DK's and the MU is pretty good in Zard's favor in the neutral game and definitely for edge guarding
DK's dash attack is actually really safe if used right. A lot of players don't realized that it's jump cancelable at the end (without going off the edge). As weird as it sounds, late-ish hit on dash attack on a shield is safe because he can do a grounded up B at the end (from the jump cancel), which often pokes. Even when it doesn't he can kind drift away during it. I agree that the match up overall it's probs in Zard's favor though (edgeguarding is free). But dash attack is a decent approach for DK.

Edit: My friend, the DK main claimed that it was in the changelist that it was removed in... 3.0 I think? But they didn't actually remove it. So not sure he's SUPPOSED to be able to jump cancel his grounded dash attack, but he can.

Last edited:

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
DK's dash attack is actually really safe if used right. A lot of players don't realized that it's jump cancelable at the end (without going off the edge). As weird as it sounds, late-ish hit on dash attack on a shield is safe because he can do a grounded up B at the end (from the jump cancel), which often pokes. Even when it doesn't he can kind drift away during it. I agree that the match up overall it's probs in Zard's favor though (edgeguarding is free). But dash attack is a decent approach for DK.

Edit: My friend, the DK main claimed that it was in the changelist that it was removed in... 3.0 I think? But they didn't actually remove it. So not sure he's SUPPOSED to be able to jump cancel his grounded dash attack, but he can.
Yeah it isn't JC-able anymore. That was easily one of his best approaches.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it isn't JC-able anymore. That was easily one of his best approaches.
No, it definitely is. The changelist says it isn't, but in reality it's just only JC-able at the end. My friend still does this to me (and I have 3.02 :p ). He mentioned how they said they took it out and how instead the timing just got tighter.

Last edited:

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
No, it definitely is. The changelist says it isn't, but in reality it's just only JC-able at the end. My friend still does this to me (and I have 3.02 :p ). He mentioned how they said they took it out and how instead the timing just got tighter.
Hmm, even still Zard walls him out super hard. I'd say the MU is probably 65:35 in Zard's favor just from the edge guards and neutral game alone.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, even still Zard walls him out super hard. I'd say the MU is probably 65:35 in Zard's favor just from the edge guards and neutral game alone.
Yeah, I definitely think it's in Zard's favor. I probably wouldn't go as far as 65:35, though I guess that's somewhat subjective, since 65:35 means different things to us :p
I think Zard's size makes fair a more reliable combo move for DK, so that helps him somewhat.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hrm, Im slowly learning all these Mus firsthand each week at SG, diversity represent lol.

However, @ robosteven robosteven 2 - 0'd me pretty solid with olimar (he's gotten so damn good with him lol). Any advice for that MU? He was being very passive / defensive, and I couldn't tell when the hell he was grabbing due to the pikmin being so low to the ground.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Hrm, Im slowly learning all these Mus firsthand each week at SG, diversity represent lol.

However, @ robosteven robosteven 2 - 0'd me pretty solid with olimar (he's gotten so damn good with him lol). Any advice for that MU? He was being very passive / defensive, and I couldn't tell when the hell he was grabbing due to the pikmin being so low to the ground.
It's tricky. I don't want to make it so simple, but at least against me just don't get grabbed, learn the timing for the full extent of Oli's nair, and DO NOT BE ABOVE HIM EVER. I'm pretty sure half of what lost you the set was stage choices. In our set we went to WarioWare and Lylat. IMO those are Oli's best stages lol

I remember you mentioned something to another Zard player about being in front of Olimar and how his smash is really bad. This is solid advice, but his grab is really good. However, aside from rushing in with a nair or fair or something, it's really his only approach option aside from throwing Pikmin and baiting. As Charizard, I'd advise nairing a lot. Spacing is an issue against Olimar for sure, but as long as you're pressuring him he can't really do much. Sure he's got the upsmash, but aside from grabs he really can't do much from the sides.

...except for fair. Watch out for fair.

I'm actually not 100% sure how to provide anti-Oli advice lol

Stage pick is important though. He struggles on places with no/minimal platforms, so FD is a good counterpick, and I haven't had much luck with Oli on Smashville either (but that's probably just personal preference). Plus, if you can get him hit hard enough offstage, he has a very difficult time getting back on stage. His tether is short, and he really doesn't have many options in getting back on. IMO Charizard could probably gimp him close offstage while trying to recover maybe with a bair, but I see nairs working really well too.

IMO Oli does pretty good against larger characters, so that might have something to do with it too. Bigger target for Pikmin to latch onto, plus combos seem to come naturally for him against them. I actually think that the matchup is slighted towards Olimar, but I really don't have enough experience playing the Oli vs Charizard matchup. I just feel like Charizard is kinda easy to reel in and combo from the Oli player's perspective, but I really don't know.

tl;dr Don't fight Olimar on WarioWare or Lylat. The platform setup of those stages are free combos for him. Other than that, we should probably investigate this further.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Yeah, generally I have more success on plat heavy stages.

Part of the fun is seeing the diversity in finding a MU where a strength becomes a weak point lol.

Watching the match, oli definitely controls under platforms in a way not even Marth can (which all of us at SG are familiar with lol). The stage pick advice sounds solid.

Aside from the gahlike grab, he doesn't really have neutral options aside from white/purple toss, huh? Like, if i feel ballsy I could run through a pikmin toss and punish the lag, no?

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Aside from the gahlike grab, he doesn't really have neutral options aside from white/purple toss, huh?
I dashdance a lot.

A LOOOOOOOT.

I really dig jumping in with nairs too (although I don't think I did it that much in our game) simply because it's a multi-hitter, and the last one usually sets up for a combo at low percents. But yeah, aside from reads with grabs and crazy dashdancing, along with the occasional Pikmin throw, his neutral game isn't amazing.

It's a little weird about the Marth comparison though. Oli's kinda like Marth, but ironically enough he gets bopped hard in the Marth matchup. The stages Oli's good on are good Marth picks, and everything Oli has going for him Marth can use better against him. Pivot grabs and grab reads don't really work on a patient Marth because sword, Marth's grabs can punish everything Oli tries to do, etc.

What I'm saying is that Dazwa kicked my ass lol

JOE!

Smash Hero
Lol, ironically Zard beats marth... Weird triangle going on here.

Is it possible to beat oli's grab by smacking the pikmin/can it grab airborne foes?

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Lol, ironically Zard beats marth... Weird triangle going on here.

Is it possible to beat oli's grab by smacking the pikmin/can it grab airborne foes?
I think Pikmin can be smacked away during grab.

And I'm like 99% sure Pikmin can grab airborne foes.

Not 100% certain on either though so don't quote me on that lol

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I dashdance a lot.

I really dig jumping in with nairs too (although I don't think I did it that much in our game) simply because it's a multi-hitter, and the last one usually sets up for a combo at low percents.
What? zard nair def isn't a multihit. It's bad if you hit shield with it early.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Guys. Just got destroyed by Fox because of shield pressure. What the hell do I do against him?
Your best weapon against him in your spacing, Jab and Nair complete destroy any of his approaches. While he can bait you to use them ineffectively, try and keep pace with him by dash dancing a lot and moving quickly.

If you do however get caught in shield pressure, Up B OOS is a great GTFO move, a little risky, but well worth it if they can't follow up after it. Don't forget about Nair OOS or even Usmash OOS if he's trying to get above you.

Also don't forget that Gimping him is as easy as standing above the ledge backwards and Nair-ing the ledge, even just waiting for his recover and using side B (pro tip it hits a little below the ledge).

That's just some basics, if you want more I can tell you more. Hope that helped!

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Your best weapon against him in your spacing, Jab and Nair complete destroy any of his approaches. While he can bait you to use them ineffectively, try and keep pace with him by dash dancing a lot and moving quickly.

If you do however get caught in shield pressure, Up B OOS is a great GTFO move, a little risky, but well worth it if they can't follow up after it. Don't forget about Nair OOS or even Usmash OOS if he's trying to get above you.

Also don't forget that Gimping him is as easy as standing above the ledge backwards and Nair-ing the ledge, even just waiting for his recover and using side B (pro tip it hits a little below the ledge).

That's just some basics, if you want more I can tell you more. Hope that helped!
You have vids?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I basically zone fox out with zard's dash speed and range. If he doesn't respect my range enough, I'll dtilt (pivot or run cancel) or dash back nair or occasionally grab. If he does, I corner him. I would like to know why you all insist on using jabs. Dtilt has better range, it combos nicely and is still fast enough that it cannot be shielded on reaction. Zard's nair already means that fox is unlikely to jump at you. If he jumps alot I of course nair him.
I would approve any advice you can give me.

Top Bottom