• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Matchup Discussion Thread

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
This will be where all detailed discussions of Charizard's matchups are kept. This post will be updated with any new matchups discussed as well as old matchups from Smashmods. Any Smashmods reviews are indicated by a bolded username followed directly by their analysis (it will not be in SWF format quote boxes) and is usually 2.1 or earlier info only.

As discussions continue, a color will be applied to each character giving a sense of how hard they are for Zard:
Red for difficult;
Yellow for slightly either way;
Green for easy.

Enjoy!

Fox:

I sort of agree that fox is hard to approach, it's all about getting the correct spacing, and stage control is so crucial in the MU (as well as stage, since as you very correctly pointed out that smaller stages are better for Zard). The neutral game isn't really who gets the first hit, it's who is going to be more brave while vying for stage control, if either character get's cornered, it's a lot worse (i'd say worse for fox but still bad for both). Also, you should really be jumping against fox unless you're aiming for the backswing of Nair, since that's perfectly safe, that way he can't punish you jump and he really doesn't gain much if you whiff.

As for the shield pressure...trust me, Up b is as fast as Bowser's, It's 4 frames on startup. Also he's the killer, IT'S INVINCIBLE THE FIRST 3 FRAMES (something that I just learned since I was wondering why I was getting away with it because I think your right :p ), so you're invincible until your first hitbox get's thrown out. You can get out of almost any shield pressure with it, I really recommend experimenting with it. I mean, you can't just do it to any move, but anything that has even a few frames of lag is susceptible. Fox should be scared of your OOS options, so should a lot of characters.
If Fox NAirs your shield too high, then you can up+B OoS and use the invincibility frames to get through the shine hitbox. It's especially safe when you're below the center of BF or DL, since you'll land on the top platform and have less vulnerability. I'd use it only sparingly though, since it's not as safe as Samus' up+B OoS and Charizard generally gets punished harder than Samus since he's bigger.
Oh yeah, beating a Spacy with Charizard's other options is fine and dandy. I'm mainly talking about using Flamethrower to strike them when they're recoverying from the middle or low. Every time a Fox, Wolf or Falco have tried to recover and I used flamethrower, most of the time it dropped them into a position where they're forced to use Up + B

Leaving me an opportunity to do one of a few things to ensure the stock. Edgehog, DSmash spike, BAir stage spike, DAir spike, NAir gimping, etc.
if you're on the right stages then the fox will have a hard time lasering safely...
Approach Fox get nairplaned

Fox is an awful matchup no matter what you do in it.

On the question though. RAR Nair is not so much defensive as it is, hmm, good for challenging an opponent's attack. Dash dance -> retreating nair, FH nair, and the occasional flynair are a bit better for using the move defensively. Seriously though, the move can scoop up every character from underneath the Smashville platform, and you can proceed to jab x5-> U-smash or anything else you want really.

Jab x5 is the funniest thing to lead into though.

King DeDeDe:

ph00tbag:
DDD seems to give Charizard a lot of trouble. Ftilt prevents the lizard from really doing anything on the ground. Although Darksyde made the observation that SH Heat Wave was really hard for DDD to work around, which I would agree with. Overall, though, Charizard usually has to go to the air first, which really puts DDD at the advantage.

Link:

Link is definitely one of zards worst matchups. Hes too fat to outmaneuver projectiles and the boomerang sweetspotted will go through a lot of his moves. Honestly bombs and arrows are just as bad because of zard being so fat. It doesn't help that a lot of zards 'combos' are actually non guaranteed juggles, which link can get out of by mashing dair/nair. Idk about samus, there are really no good pm samus players yet. Falco also seems pretty bad, but i've been trying out platform camping with nair and it seems kind of hard to deal with? only real problem zard has is the lasers, which being on platforms helps get around. Falco literally can never touch zard's shield with aerials because of up B lol. Ness is tough, but doable because of your range. Just focus on avoiding pkf (zard can't sdi fast enough to avoid a followup) and baiting out fair. Fair will beat all of zards moves because its disjointed, but you can sheild or CC. Fox is bad but its fox so w/e, sheik is probably bad but idk. I think zard does well vs marth and a lot of floatier characters like peach, zelda, and maybe wario. As for mario, i thought it was pretty bad at first, but it turns out if marios spamming fireballs you can clank them with ftilt, which moves you forward so you can do it multiple times. A little better than jab because ftilt will hit right above zard's head to get the higher fireballs, which jab will not.
link is sort of annoying because you are a floaty character (you arent that fast in the air). what i reccomend is that you approach in the air facing backwards. nair will stop his boomerang, which is his best defense against an aerial opponent. his bombs and arrows can be punished if he tries to use them in the air, as that allows you to fastfall and get under him. once you get an opponening on the ground, thats where u get in and stay in. all of your ground attacks are faster and more ranged than his (save maybe utilt), so once you get past his projectile defenses, then you have the ability to really keep him locked down. once hes offstage, you should definitely be able to kill him. the only difficult part about the match up is getting past the projectiles. i reccomended facing backwards because of the better range you can cover with nair and bair. just be patient and really try to think about the most efficient way to navigate the sort of puzzle that his projectiles give him.

if your opponent is grab happy then learn to position yourself just outside of his grab range. this puts a lot of pressure on link to do something because he isnt a very mobile character and has a lot of punishable attacks. charizard has a very fast running speed and a very large grab range, so try using that to ur advantage to bait out a grab and punish him. also, crouch cancel ur runs into dtilts. thats a great way to punish as well, and it either pops ur opponent up for a combo, or it hits them at a low angle which can put them in much less favorable positions. link is going to control the pace of this MU because of how aggressive he is with projectiles.just play it patiently, and take advantage of your opponenings. they do come, you just cant go running in expecting to overwhelm link because he does have a lot of disjointed coverage to keep himself safe.
I haven't fought a lot of Links, but I played Hylian's Link at SCSYN. (Sadly, none of our matches were recorded because I didn't bring my recording setup and failed to hit record on the setup we were playing on.) I didn't try fighting him backwards in the neutral position, but I've had the most success rushing in and not giving them room to use projectiles; it's really tough to make it past projectiles if they're used properly, but the key is to not give the opponent enough space to safely use them. Although large character size doesn't help, wavedashing out-of-shield and fast dashes (which Charizard has) help a lot. As for the grab, it's not particularly fast, so as Flux said above, try baiting them out as much as possible. In addition to dash-canceled DTilts, I highly recommend making the extra commitment and dash-canceling jabs as well; while it lacks the horizontal reach of DTilt, it's faster and has much greater vertical range, allowing you to possibly catch people who are trying to retreating short-hop their projectiles.

Grabs work wonders against Link - because he's not floaty, he'll either be set up for FAir if he DI's up or tech chases if he DI's away when you BThrow him. Although he won't be caught as often as spacies, he'll be forced into teching positions fairly often - be VERY observant about when you can force him to hit the ground and when you can't. If you can't force a tech, then try to read his jump and FAir him. If you can force him to tech, try punishing him with grabs and DSmash. DSmash is a particularly good because it covers so many options at once and you can set him up for an edgeguard with DSmash -> Heat Wave.

Mario:

Jab can eat Fireballs and still go through to hit Mario
As far as if you're playing against a spammy Mario, get on a platform and try and get closer towards him, else just Nair or WD jab closer to him. The key is to put him above you if you can, or just push him into a corner and he'll most likely do something stupid. As far as a solution to the full hop problem, full hop Nair is ok, but you lose some of the safeness of the SHFFL Nair. A better option if he full hops is to get under him as fast as possible and Usmash, power shield the fireball if necessary to get in. A Usmash sets up really good positioning for you. Even if you don't get a Usmash, you are uncomfortably close to him or you just got a little more stage control.

If people aren't jumping, you still have better range than them, but the key is to RAR Nair and aim WITH THE BACKSWING OF THE TAIL. One thing you might want to try as opposed to a full RAR, where you jump backwards out of the turn around animation, try neutral jumping out of the animation so you just essentially stop dead and reverse Nair. It puts up a wall that not many characters can fight. Also, if they aren't jumping, well then they aren't SHFFL-ing, and sort of limiting themselves a lot. But regardless, pressure them with Nair, eventually they will jump when they run out of horizontal space.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Zard is fast, sort of unnecessarily fast at times. Don't fall into the trap of standing still and trying to space with stationary Nair or jab, I see a lot of Zard's do it and I even do it myself sometimes. If you keep whiffing grabs, get moving, or try jab cause that's a good move too. But as you've been learning, in shield isn't a bad place to be, in fact, you've got enough options to be pretty good in shield imo.
The B reverse thing makes sense, but I still maintain that if he in in the air jumping away from you, even if you whiff he can't punish it. The way I'm imagining it is that you're both on FD in even level with each other. If he dashes away, you dash forward. You see him jump, you ready a RAR Nair so you jump reversed. He B reverses, he'll most likely get hit, either by the startup, or by the backswing as he lands. If he doesn't B reverse, then his momentum is away from you which means he can't punish you, and most likely you eat the fireball. Nobody lost, but you probably have better stage control at this point.
The Mario b reversing: you end up in a dilemma where if you nair and he doesn't b reverse, you whiff and he comes in when you land to put on pressure. But if you don't nair then when he b reverses the fireball it's hard to react to. Admittedly this might be a time for a jab attempt, I may be under-using jab to protect me from fireballs.

As for the shield pressure from Mario, I'm not so sure. Admittedly I don't know the frames on up B for Zard and I definitely have to get better at thinking to do that more, but I will say that it's pretty tight on windows and requires some prediction of what Mario will do. If you up B right as he jabs or d-smashes, you might get hit before your hitbox is out. Mario's jab1 and jab2 come out frame 2 and Dsmash comes out frame 3. I might be wrong, but I think you could only up B to avoid the grab which comes out frame 7. Meaning you have to guess when he'll grab. To make matters worse, dsmash could poke and even if it doesn't, it pushes Mario far enough back to prevent you from punishing him.
Jab also shuts down fireballs and hits him to boot

You can stuff any of his approaches with Nair/Jab. If you're getting punished for it, you're using Nair wrong. You aren't supposed to try and hit with the start up of it when people are on the ground, else you will get WD OOS grabbed. If you use it like a RAR anti air when Mario approaches with a fireball, it will stuff the fire and you can't block in the air so you're going to get hit. Otherwise, you should always be trying to hit with the backswing of the tail to keep it safe. Same principle applies to jab

Also Dsmash shouldn't be used every except for tech chases and MAYBE crouch cancels. If the Zard you're playing is trying for random Dsmashes please punish him/her for it because that's just a bad idea.

I do however, agree that Mario get's some silly combos on Zard, a lot of characters do. A grab can very easily equal 40-80% and possibly a bad offstage position. So while I wouldn't say it's bad for Mario, a good Zard can zone him out incredibly hard and maybe only give him a few opportunities for combos.
Just use reverse nair to keep Mario out unil he's around 30 and don't go in a try to pull any grab chase shenanigans until then. RAR nair is his bread and butter, but it doesn't let you get in against your opponents until 30-40% range depending on the character. This is a mistake most zards make, they get to comfortable rushing in with grab/tech chase set ups when it's way too early for that kind of thing. Also, Mario fireball gets eaten up by RAR hair and Mario can actually get punished in the act of firing one off if your RAR hair is positioned correctly.

Other than locking him down with RAR Nair, not getting to grab/chase happy at early percentages, shutting off both cape and fireball with that same bread and butter move (cape either leaves you in a neutral position or flips you around to just get Mario hit on the other side. Fireballs get eaten up with either just RAR hair or RAR Nair, Down Smash) use fair defensively when your reading him getting frustrated with your RAR Nairs. This sets up for easy juggles/low percent kills. Also, Zard straight molests most of the cast in the offstage game so using either RAR Nair or defensive fair into juggle will get you in a very good position for Zard fairly quickly.
I think Charizard's worst matchup is Mario.
Mario's nair beats out all of Zard's aerials. While Mario's cape is always a great move, it is even better against Charizard because his up-B lingers for a bit and doesn't have disjointment, making it relatively easy to cape. Also, if Mario predicts an off-stage glair, it's insta-kill. Not to mention, Mario has chain grabs against Zard just like Bowser.
ItalianStallion:
From my experience, all I can say is that Mario seems to be really difficult for Charizard. The pills, *ahem* I mean Fireballs keep Charizard bottled down. Mario also has quicker moves than Charizard that also have quite a bit of strength.

Plus Charizard is a Fire breathing lizard-dragon thing, which is kind of close to Bowser. And as we all know, Mario beats Bowser all the time in multiple games.

Ness:

Zero Suit Samus:
At first I thought Zard vs zss Was Undoable . However a nice thing about charizard in this MU is his grab game is kinda frustrating for zss. Mostly if you can navigate around jab shenanagans and misplaced side B's you can find yourself getting a lot of good throws and techchaces in off of miss-reads. It's a patient game of looking for a solid opening and capitalizing hard. Staying really close to her seems very effective as well
Bowser:

Flamethrower literally roasts bowser.
I'll add that shield grabbing counters pretty much every approach Bowser has. Since he has no real approach when you are on the ground (since you will just shield grab him lol), be choosy about approaching him. His moveset is good at countering your approach, but you get to pick and choose when you do said approach since he can't really put on any pressure.
After a certain height distance, it's useless to chase Bowser because of his Down-B. I generally just stay on the ground in that situation because people don't tend to Down-B unless you try to chase them vertically. One thing you can try is to bait out the Down-B by charging Fly but then cancel your vertical momentum by jumping as soon as possible so that you stay fairly close to the ground. Most players won't expect you to stay so low after a full charge, and you can even angle your trajectory so that you create enough space to avoid the Down-B but not so much space that you're too far away to punish. Even if you just stay on the ground and let him fall back down normally, you can still keep juggling with Jab/Utilt/Usmash/Up-B/etc.

Bowser's recovery is pretty bad so I try to get lateral KOs rather than KOs off the top. Ftilt and Side-B beat Bowser's Up-B so get him horizontally off the stage and then just stand at the edge and time those moves correctly (or jump off and intercept him with Side-B). There's not much Bowser can do in that situation. As far as the Armor issue is concerned, maybe try playing more patiently. Charizard has a few moves that outreach anything Bowser has, so make him come to you and then bait out his laggy moves. IIRC none of his Armor moves have very good range, so use your disjointed hitboxes effectively and you should stay out of harm's way. If you get him in the air at low percentages, you can combo him really well since he's so big and won't get launched very far away from you. IMO, Bowser is in many ways a wingless (and worse) Charizard, so think about what sorts of opponent tactics bother you the most and then use those yourself.

Bowser's Fair is a good move and you're going to have to respect that. I don't have any great tip for it other than recognize it's there and try to not put yourself in situations where he can get you with it. Don't get greedy and rush him only to get hit in the face with Fair. I feel that Charizard has enough advantage in the neutral game against Bowser that you don't have to go for broke when you're comboing/edgeguarding Bowser. It's ok to drop the combo or opt for a low-risk edgeguard and live to fight another day. If Bowser is approaching with it, Shieldgrab or space moves properly (RAR Nair). You'll figure out what safe spacing is against Fair with experience.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

P.S. Bowser's get-up attack from the ledge is stupid, so don't get caught by it. The Bowser I play against a lot uses it all the time.
Bowser vs Zard is a tricky MU. I will give my analysis on 2.1, because i haven't been played a Zard on 2.5 yet.

One thing to notice is that both of you have very good ways to space and poke at each other; Bowser has Fire Breath, Fair, Dtilt and Ftilt, whereas Zard has Flamethrower Nair, Bair, Ftilt, and Dtilt. This makes the MU oriented much towards the player who can not only properly space himself with the correct attacks, but also bait the other player's attacks and start profiting from them. Speaking about Fire Breath, Bowser's has land cancelling and a chomp hitbox on his mouth, yet Charizard has nothing of this at the expense of dealing more damage with his flamethrower. Bowser can effectively crawl through Zard's flames and Up B once he gets close enough to hit Zard, which although damages Bowser slightly, puts Zard in a much less favorable position.

Comboing is an important aspect in this MU as well. If Zard gets Bowser into a combo, he's pretty much dead. Not only Bowser is an incredibly big target, it's almost impossible to escape Zard's Launcher > Uair > Up B shenanigans, assuming Zard doesn't let him get an Nair out. Bowser starting a combo on Zard usually involves attacks such as Side B (which can regrab Zard multiple times at 0% due to being so big), Utilt, Uair and Fair on doesn't really guarantee much of a kill, but gets Zard offstage most of the time, and that's the worst position Zard could ever be vs Bowser.

Speaking off, Edgeguarding is also a tradeoff for both characters, but it's also where Bowser starts to pick off a lot in term of kills. Bowser absolutely destroys any attempts Charizard has of recovering if you pick the right move, but the thing Zard will fear the most is Down B; Due to having Super armor on the way down, dealing tremendous knockback and being able to insta-catch the ledge, it's an incredibly safe and rewarding method to edgeguard Zard with because his recovery is so linear. Other very good options are Dtilt, Bair, Fair or Ftilt depending on the % Zard is in and if you think a Down B could be punished.

Zard also has a pretty damn good time edgeguarding Bowser as well. If he tries to recover low, Dtilt does the trick. A little higher, Fsmash or Side-B do a very good job. Higher than that (Where Zard has to jump). Bair and Fair are other good moves to try if Bowser recovers even high than that, and hell, if Bowser tries to go silly and recover all the way up you can just intercept him in the ground with a launcher and start comboing. HOWEVER, you should be very careful of a recovering Bowser trying to use Down B to grab the ledge. Momentum lets him to this, and it's still as dangerous to get hit by as always since Bowser can then ledgejump and punish with something appropiate.

All things considered, i say Bowser has the lead in 2.1 by a nice margin. (60-40)
Bubbaking:
Bowser has some nasty stuff while edgeguarding us (and everyone). His Bowser Bomb can cover a lot of vertical space above him really quickly, so it catches glides and DJs that try to go over him. The same Bomb also destroys vertical recoveries (I watched my friend's, Soup's, Mario get totally messed up time and time again because of this) for free, and if he's too early, which he will be more than being too late, he gets a ledgehog, so Zard has to watch out if he's coming back with upB. I think 2.5 Zard's ability to act after gliding is going to be a godsend for this specific MU because of these things.

Captain Falcon:

Rule #1: Get him off the stage. On the ground this matchup is very "touch of death"-esque, where both characters can combo each other for days. Falcon has very easy combos on Charizard's gigantic hurtbox. Offstage though, Falcon is just like anyone else. B-Throw -> F-Tilt near the edge is one way to do this. Use the sweetspot of D-Tilt to gimp him if he tries to Side-B back, and reverse Nair [last hitbox] if he tries to recover low. If he recovers high do w/e you want, with the ultimate goal of keeping him offstage.

Rule #2: Try to stay on even ground with him, if not below him. Avoid getting caught by U-Air juggles, get to the ground with either falling nairs or glide momentum mixups. Don't rule out topscreen kills - he's also juggle food if he's above you.

Rule #3: If all else fails, pick a small stage. Limit his ability to run around by taking him to FoD and Green Hill Zone, both of which are small and have low ceilings. It's much easier to keep him off the stage with these.

People with more experience than me:
BluntedMask vs. Gravy: http://www.twitch.tv/snowman/b/509326488?t=6h54m05s
*Zen vs. Shadow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rlkOYag7b8

Best of luck! These are just the basics of what I've picked up - at the end of the day it's still a fun matchup for both sides =]
Bubbaking:
I kind of see Zard's MU vs Falcon to be somewhat analogous to ROB's MU vs Falcon. Both have a hard time at neutral due to Falcon's great speed, DD, and shield mix-ups, and both get combo'd super hard by the captain. ROB's MU, itself, is actually analogous to Melee Samus's MU vs Falcon, so I'm gonna make a bit of a stretch here and quote some advice that HugS made on the Samus boards a while ago: "Falcon rules the air while you rule the ground."

Like ROB, if Zard can get a shieldgrab off on C.Falcon, then it should convert into either a lot of damage or a death, even at 0%. Falcon is one of the easier chars in the game to tech-chase due to his abnormally long get-up animation, something that transferred over from Melee. Therefore, dthrow TC's should be a BnB thing on Falcon. Being a fast-faller, Falcon is also naturally combo'd by Zard a lot easier than the rest of the cast is. He kinda just falls into all the hits, making them super easy to link. I believe I may have played one game of Zard vs Gallo's Falcon, but I don't think it was recorded.

In general, I think Zard prefers small stages against Falcon, to cut down on Falcon's mobility advantage while making Zard's TC's and combos easier and opening Falcon up to gimps a lot faster.

metroid1117
As stated before, Falcon's greatest strength lies in his neutral game; his dash dance is excellent, which lets him weave in-and-out while fishing for grabs and aerials. Similarly for Sonic, don't try to wait out his approach and shut him out with DTilts and jabs; go very deep and interrupt his dash-dancing with dash-canceled jab or DTilt. Try to stay on the ground as much as possible in the neutral state, spacing him out with NAir does not work very well. You won't be able to do anything if he gets you with a grab, but if you're at low %s, you may be able to crouch-cancel his NAir and jab like how Kage often does that against Falcons in Melee (granted, Charizard's jab comes out on frame 5 whereas Ganon's Melee jab comes out on frame 3).

You might be able to DThrow techchase Falcon all day, but I prefer to use DSmash to techchase. Once you get Falcon on the ground with jab, it's just a matter of spamming DSmash. If you're next to him as he is forced to tumble onto the ground, stationary DSmash covers missed tech, tech-in-place, and techroll behind, whereas running DSmash covers techroll away (to which you can react instead of having to read). From my experience, DSmash techchases are better than DThrow techchases because you have more time to get in position before they tech, it does more damage, it sets up for combos incredibly well, and you can follow up with waveland -> DSmash or just USmash if they try teching onto a platform. However, given the nature of Falcon's recovery, you might want to use DThrow if they tech towards the edge of the stage so that you can try beating out their attempted meteor cancel with run-off DAir. If you get up+B'd against the stage while edgeguarding him, you can Rockcrock DAir him.

Speaking of edgeguarding, tipped DTilt is the best way to kill Falcon. If you sourspot it and he doesn't have a jump, you can try going for a side+B, which is made easier to connect because he'll be DI'ing in from trying to survive the tipped DTilt. The same is true if he's coming from above; you can go for a jab -> jump -> side+B as long as he doesn't have a jump. If he does have a jump, he'll probably be able to jump out before side+B hits. Otherwise, you can also just grab the edge to force him to land on the stage with up+B (watch out for the possible side+B spike), waveland, then edgehop DAir -> side+B or DSmash -> side+B to send him back out.

The rest of the match-up is pretty clear (both characters can combo and edgeguard the other extremely hard); I think this match-up is in Falcon's favor because it's so much easier for him to finish his combos with hard-hitting attacks (namely, the knee), but it's still winnable.

Bubbaking:
Also watch out for the possible stage-spike from upB if you hang on the ledge too long. Btw, speaking of edgeguarding, Zard's dsmash is practically identical to his dair. Both moves pop grounded opponents up into the air and meteor aerial opponents. This is especially relevant to Falcon's recovery because of the likelihood that Falcon's head will pop up a little higher than the ledge sweetspot. In this case, Zard's well-timed dsmash will actually meteor Falcon as if he had been daired.

Donkey Kong:
I feel that your Glair beats any edgeguard he has. Also you can outrange him with RARed Bairs or Nairs. He can combo you like Krazy but you can to. I think that it might be a +1 for Charizard.

DK has a fairly good approach against Zard, with a lot of mix-ups. Nair isn't quick enough to be used defensively against DK. Also DK is cake to approach so stay on the offensive.
Pretty freaking good for Zard. If DK is offstage he's essentially dead since Nair can stuff any of his recoveries. The only thing is that DK gets some pretty good combos on Zard, but unless they are 0-deaths all the time, he will still loose. Also he doesn't really have any answer to Nair.

What sorts of approaches does he have that can't be anti air-d or stuffed with Nair? His Nair is fast, but you shouldn't ever be that close to him (it is also isn't safe on shield and can be stuffed with Jab if you're fast enough). Bair is good but is it by no means safe. Fair has range but you can se it coming a mile away. Dair and Uair aren't useful. Dash attack can be blocked and punished. His best approach is probably Bair, but if you're facing away from him it's a free Nair, if your facing him it's a shield grab if he miss spaces it or at worst you return to the neutral game where you can grossly outspace him with Nair.

I've fought a lot of DK's and the MU is pretty good in Zard's favor in the neutral game and definitely for edge guarding
Falco:

Falco is a lot worse, work on power shielding cause that's honestly one of your best ways to fight him. However, if you so much as push him off stage he's as good as dead. I would recommend using Up B OOS against him though, since a lot of falco's like to Shine then fall on you with Dair, Up B will trade with the Dair, which puts him in the air where you can Usmash him (since it outpaces Dair, then he's sort of screwed). You can also just Usmash OOS against his falling Dair and beat him, then proceed to do horrible things to him. Pro tip, abuse platforms and make him do something stupid because he can't hit you with lasers as easily on a platform.
Oh yeah, beating a Spacy with Charizard's other options is fine and dandy. I'm mainly talking about using Flamethrower to strike them when they're recoverying from the middle or low. Every time a Fox, Wolf or Falco have tried to recover and I used flamethrower, most of the time it dropped them into a position where they're forced to use Up + B

Leaving me an opportunity to do one of a few things to ensure the stock. Edgehog, DSmash spike, BAir stage spike, DAir spike, NAir gimping, etc.
Falco vs. Charizard

Now this is an unexpected match-up where you would expect the likes of Charizard to be outclassed due to the pressure. But Charizard's shield properties which allow him to defend better and punish off it, along with Falco's fast-falling nature, actually can make this a real surprise for some to believe. But I think?

Charizard is the anti-spacy and Falco takes the brunt of it. He's the kind of character who can take the damage and protect himself for as long as he has to, but when he finds ONE opening and takes it? The opposition is in trouble. Falco is vulnerable at low percents to tech chasing from DThrow, and easy juggles from Jab, UTilt and USmash. Not to mention Flamethrower is a real safe counter to Falco's recovery, unless you want to play the brave option and use Heat Wave for the easy gimp (or even NAir). Falco's already subpar recovery is weakened by Charizard preying on him. And even better? Charizard excels in the air and it's easier to combo an airborne Falco and get him off stage.

I'll have to play with 2.5 more to see if any of my opinions will change on this, but as far as Charizard vs. Falco is concerned, I'd put it as even or in Charizard's favor slightly. As for the bad things about fighting Falco? Falco will always be Falco in his melee glory. And that means you better be prepared to take a lot of laser and drillshine pressure, and if Falco gets YOU off stage, while you've got good options, you're in trouble with that nasty DAir, BAir or FSmash blocking you out. Not to mention his lasers.

Bubbaking:
In all honesty, even though Falco's approach options and shield pressure are OP, I'd rather that they approach and give me the possibility of landing shieldgrabs, upB's OoS, and other things to punish messed-up spacing (either by mistake or caused by me). Falco is also one of the easiest chars in the game for Zard to combo and gimp, and surprisingly, he can do that job better than a very good portion of the P:M cast. However, if Falco decides to go maximum camp mode, I think Zard is finished.

I'm talking about a very skilled Falco who realizes that he can win by being as defensive as possible. In other words, this Falco will camp Zard out as hard as he can and he'll only go aggro when Zard gets close enough to be somewhat of a threat. I've never met a Falco who did that. All the spacees I know personally go aggro eventually, and I believe that this has allowed me to win matches with Zard. However, I also believe that if a very good Falco ever decides to just go all-out campy while still having a very good punish and CQC game, then I'm finished. This is why I labelled the Falco:Zard MU as (--). It has the very practical potential to be one of Zard's absolute worst MUs, even harder than Lucario.

metroid1117
I haven't played any good Falcos with Charizard so I won't say much on the match-up, but learning how to powershield will make this a lot easier. Powershielding consistently is hard, but even if you get one powershield out of a dash, you can wavedash out-of-shield and punish Falco pretty hard with basically any character. This set is old, but that's basically my strategy in Melee whenever I play against a Falco with Marth. I'm not saying basing your strategy against powershielding is a good thing, but powershielding is a vital skill to learn against spam-heavy characters like Falco.

Ike:

Ike isn't a "good" matchup; it's close enough to even and could easily go either way in spite of Zard having a nair from the gods. Ike has decent baiting options this time around and can still cripple Charizard off only a few hits. Even his tipper hits are strong and still set up for very debilitating followups, which can happen conveniently enough from any number of openings in Zard's spacing and neutral game. It isn't like in 2.1 where Ike is immune to followups with his neutral B, but his better dashdance throws off a lot of what went into Zard just keeping his tail tip close to Ike.
zard vs ike is good from my experience. You nair actually has good enough range to beat out many of ikes approaches, and flamethrower is great for this as well. your dtilt is a valuable asset vs ike, as it outranges most of his ground attacks and will set you up for combos. you are faster than him, so baiting is not difficult, and punishing is even easier thanks to your great grab, speed, and range in general. you can tech chase the hell out of ike, and since he isnt the fastest and most agile character, you have an easy time keeping him on lock down. i think they can both survive to probably similar percents, but charizard might have a slight advantage in this area because of ikes now shorter ranged hilt sweetspots. zard also has more reliable combos to kill, whereas ike will space for them more often than combo into them.

Jigglypuff:

The most times you'll be punished for Nairing is probably by a character like Puff. If you miss with the startup, the top of your back is very exposed, and she will be able to very easily hit out with Fair/Bair etc.
I think Zard's best matchup is Jigglypuff.
Zard beats her from the ground and the air. Zard's jab thwarts any of Puff's air assaults, and almost all of Zard's ariels will out reach Jiggly in the air. Rest isn't really all that great against Zard either. If she misses a rest, she gets hit with a tipped side-smash (kills Jiggs at about 30% on most stages). If she hits, Zard can use his great dash speed to punish anyways with either a tipped side-smash or on big stages where he doesn't have enough time, maybe a grab, back-throw to side-B (great on floaties).
BarBond:
I would say its a bit in jiggs' favor but, it is definitely winnable. Since charizard's bair has an awesome range he can compete with the jiggly's spacing in the air I think.

And damn is nair awesome in this match up.

Kink-Link5:
Charizard is a lot like a heavier Jigglypuff with better range on his BnB aerial, but gets set up hard into rest combos. It's definitely winnable by just playing homo though.

Bubbaking:
If Jiggs wasn't so light, I'd absolutely hate this MU, since Zard is only capable of landing one- and two-hit strings on her most of the time. Jiggs beats him through aerial mobility that allows her to weave in and out of his stuff but Zard can probably wall her out with far-reaching aerials to make things closer to even.

Lucas:

Jab can eat PK Freezes and still go through to hit Lucas
I find that Charizard's dash attack is rather effective for breaking through Lucas's projectile spam. Aside from that, timing your shields as you approach and jumping out of the shield to approach from above with a nair seems to work well for getting through projectiles, be they Lucas's or Mario's or Falco's. I've been trying to work on effective uses for wavedashing out of shield to approach, but I haven't had much success with it so far.
Marth:

vs Marth - Zard is a big target (I said that before :p ), so he's easy to combo, and those tippers really cut down on his survivability (seems familiar :smash: ). What gets Marth here is how insanely easy he is to juggle. Once he enters the air, he needs a good Counter or dair read to get back down. Zard's nair will even catch his spot-dodge. If he's offstage, he's dead unless he recovers high. Marth can't sweetspot against Zard's nair or his flamethrower. So then why do I think Marth wins? Marth's on-stage game more than makes up for his ability to be juggled and his offstage game. That sword is really hard for Zard to get past. Double fair from Marth is practically a wall. Also, Zard can find himself being juggled, which is not something that generally happens to Zard. Marth's uair/utilt mix-up can keep Zard in the air for a long time and it beats out or trades with nair. Also, if Marth catches Zard not DIing fthrow well, tipper fsmash will cut his life short below 100% on most stages, which is devastating for such a heavyweight, and I've even seen Emukiller land fthrow > dair spike off bad DI. At the beginning of every stock, if Zard is grabbed, it's a free CG to the edge of the stage into a fsmash (which will be tippered if the DI is right) or a spike (bad DI).

Also, Marth can edgeguard Zard pretty hard. Dtilt and fsmash catch every low recovery, outside of sweetspotted upB, and fsmash also beats out Zard's glair. Zard's best bet is usually to go high, but he can be juggled on the way down, and if he's sent back off without a glide, it's curtains for him.
Marth, on the other hand, is much more hurt by nair spacing than some people seem to think, and I was very surprised by people saying Marth is one of Zard's hard matchups when everything I've experienced seems to indicate the opposite. I wouldn't call it a straight up unwinnable matchup for Marth, but it's a battle of spacing vs better spacing for the most part. Pretty much everything about what Marth can do to Zard outside of dair, Charizard can do back to Marth more easily and more effectively. Juggles? Check. Anti-airs? Check. Space control? Check. In the neutral game Marth comes down to essentially trying to dash dance and out-grab Charizard, without the rewards Marth would get for this strategy against, say, Fox with chain grabs, or floaties with anti-air options after a grab.
Bubbaking:
Charizard is really good when his opponent is above him; he gets better advantages than a lot of other chars get. Likewise, Marth is really bad when his opponent is below him. If you can get Marth into the air, you can harass/damage/kill him while he struggles to touch the ground. In this respect, Zard's usmash is actually very effective. Along these lines, Zard actually wants to remain on the main stage while he keeps Marth on the plats. Also, if you can get Marth offstage, it's a fairly easy gimp.

Now, the problem here is exactly what you're observing. On flat levels (and the main level of plat stages), Marth completely out-prioritizes Zard in the approaching game. I wouldn't suggest using falling nairs too often because Marth becomes one of the strongest chars in the game when his opponent is above him. Zard isn't weakened to 'Marth in the air' levels when he's above his opponent, thanks to dair, nair, and multiple aerial jumps, but NO ONE wants to be above Marth. I would say to utilize your great DD and your CC (boosted by your weight) to bait Marth into doing things and then punish. You can also try to force an action from him by shoving a shield in his face and then shield-grabbing his fair.

Well Marth is an extremely good edgeguarder, so pretty much every character other than Jiggs would probably have a hard time recovering against him. As a Melee Samus main, even I have extreme trouble recovering against a Marth. I usually go for two things. Sweetspot the ledge EXTREMELY well (or you risk being fsmashed or dtilted) or go high, even though Marth does make it hard for chars to get down and Zard already has difficulty descending.

Oh, by going high, you also have access to a couple other options. You can try to beat out Marth with a glair, which spurts him forward, or you could make him think you're going for that and cancel to the ledge. Don't forget you have nair for descending and you can bait reactions with multiple jumps. Now that Zard can act out of gliding, you might want to save at least one your jumps until after your glide. You're gonna have to mix it up. There are probably more options available but those are what come to mind.
Also, sometimes it just becomes a war of attrition. Zard is heavy and Marth kinda sucks at outright killing, especially vertically, so use those high platforms.

(ledge options after sweet spotting) Zard does seem a little weak in that department. Fair is faster now, so you could try ledgehop fair. Ledgehop nair could be a thing. You can also stall by repeatedly gliding/glairing into the ledge, although I don't know how smart that is against Marth. Of course, you always have your ledgejump, which could be useful when coupled with nair. Try these things out in matches.

metroid1117:
It's really hard to get back to the stage against Marth, but you might be able to mix edge jumping (up/Y/X) -> NAir with edge jumping -> double-jump -> falling NAir.

Sheik:

Came back to say that Metroid was kinda right.....in a way. I've played both Hat's Sheik in a $5 MM and Kels' Sheik in tourney and beaten them both. Zard:Sheik isn't that bad the way a lot of Sheiks are playing the MU, but it should be REALLY bad. I still stand by my own experiences as Sheik against John12346's Zard (his Zard is very solid; it beat The Moon, 4-stocking him in the process, and Cel/Codi; John also got 3rd in a large P:M tourney in NY with several prominent players in attendance). I play a very cheap, defensive Sheik because I don't like to put up with BS, and against this methodical no-nonsense cheapness, Zard can't really do anything. Yes, Zard edgeguards Sheik pretty well, but you know what? So does Samus in Melee and Sheik is Samus' hardest MU. Yeah, Zard can CC all of Sheik's ground attacks, but again, so can Samus, and she has even better CCC's. This doesn't make the MU any better for her. Zard doesn't even have Samus' OoS prowess.

Forgetting about char and MU comparison, I still strongly feel that, when played well, Sheik shuts down Zard, but going by my 100% win ratio against good Sheiks, I guess they don't know how to play the MU yet. This is kind of like what happened with Leelue and the Sonic:Sheik MU where Leelue believed that Sheik won but he settled for even or Sonic's favor because he'd never lost to a Sheik in tourney. :laugh:
metroid1117:
I actually don't think Sheik is that bad. At low %s, you can CC all of her ground attacks except for grab and you're faster than her, so you can chase after her with dash-canceled jabs and grabs reasonably safely. Getting grabbed, combo'd, and edgeguarded sucks, but Sheik has low aerial mobility so you can juggle her pretty well and her recovery is easily edgeguarded. I wouldn't call it in Charizard's favor, but I don't think it's that bad.

I agree with the point that Charizard is easy to tech chase, but it's not that hard to DI Sheik's throws on reaction; the DThrow has such a distinct animation that if you always DI for the BThrow, you react to the DThrow and switch your DI. It might take some practice (and years of seeing Sheik's DThrow from prior experience doesn't hurt either), but the DI mix-up between BThrow and DThrow is not that good.

Bubbaking:
Sheik ***** Charizard off of a grab. Charizard's huge, so if you don't DI dthrow perfectly (down and away), you get jab > regrabbed. If you do, you risk getting bthrow CG'd/comboed. I'm also fairly certain that, unless you 100% commit to DI'ing bthrow, you still get comboed from it. Even if you DI dthrow well and she still uses it, Sheik can tech-chase Zard on reaction. Sheik's perfectly at home with tech-chasing. A Sheik that's tech-chasing is a Sheik to fear. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure that dthrow still combos Zard unless you DI it, like, perfectly at high %'s.

About the dthrow > jab > regrab, Mario gets the same exact stuff on Zard after a dthrow and it's disgusting. At least Bowser can attempt to upB after the jab, but Zard really has nothing. Obviously, if you don't react to Sheik's grab fast enough and fail to DI the dthrow at all, then you're getting CG'd. It's really a lose/lose/lose situation. Don't get grabbed. I've done the Zard:Sheik MU multiple times from the Sheik side; grabs are ridiculous.

Squirtle:
Not only does Charizard have a faster run/dash than Squirtle, he also out-ranges him pretty hard with jab. Instead of respecting Squirtle's Water Gun and Bubble, try dashing up to him and either canceling the dash with a jab or, if you see him preparing to shoot, shield and punish him during his cool-down; projectiles are only safe if you give the opponent the space to spam them. If you do get Bubble'd, however, try learning the timing for teching it and mix rolling in addition to teching in place. To combo out of DSmash better, try Fly -> UAir/NAir in order to rise up with them while jugging and then finishing with FAir or up+B, depending on where they were sent. Lastly, you should use more BThrow instead of restricting yourself to DThrow; although the follow-ups do depend on your opponent's DI, you can either tech chase or DTilt if they DI it properly.

Wolf:

as far as wolf goes, if you are afraid of getting side b'ed, just stay out of line of its trajectory. it can be edge hogged very easily, so you just have to understand the timing of when he recovers. as far as bthrow goes off the edge, its just really intuitive. if you think hes going to jump immediatly out of it, then a dtilt or aerial can work. if you think hes going to stay low and not jump right away, maybe its best to get on the ledge and try to meteor smash him when he tries to up b. really try to think about all your options here, I cant give you a set answer. ive got a lot of experience as wolf, but not quite against him, so i couldnt tell you what things ive grown accustomed to working against him.

Neko (Zard) vs Dug (Wolf)
http://youtu.be/punjE6IXOT0

Check em. :V
Glad to see you picking up Charizard, Neko. Nice job getting re-grabs off of DThrow (although to be fair, it seemed like Dug didn't understand the timing for how to tech it). Here are some general comments I had.

- Because Wolf is a fastfaller and most of Charizard's moveset (non-tipped DTilt, jab, BThrow, USmash, etc.) is geared towards launching his opponents, tech chase opportunities will come extremely often in this match-up. You can take your time with these tech chases and, if they're at an edge, cover most of their options with a well-placed DSmash. For example, at 1:16, moving a big forward and charging a DSmash probably would've covered all four of his teching options (tech-in-place, missed tech, techroll away, and techroll towards) and given you more profit than a jab. Another time DSmash would've been a good option is at 2:05, where a tech on a platform is almost always a guaranteed DSmash (Yoshi's Island's platform looks a little too big for total coverage though).
- BThrow is better than DThrow against spacies, in my opinion; you get more time to set up for the tech chase off of BThrow compared to DThrow and off the edge, BThrow -> tipped DTilt can work pretty well against fastfallers (like at 1:11).
- When edgeguarding, I think the best way is to either grab the as Wolf recovers, thus forcing him to land on the stage where you can hit him with edgehopped DAir, or to use the reverse NAir hitbox.
- Charizard's FAir is great now, so you can throw it out more often from of a short-hop or full-hop when comboing.

Good stuff, I'm glad that you're taking an interest in Demo 2.5 Charizard!
Zelda:

For upB, you can be hit out of it since the start-up hitbox does not come out on frame one and the hurtbox lingers long after the hitbox leaves but before Zelda gets to actually become invincible. I'm not saying Zelda's teledash is bad, but the move does have its weaknesses. One jab does hurt everyone, but anything that launches Zelda into the air especially hurts her because she can't get back down. She's way too floaty and dies too early off the top. I don't really encounter much hitlag when nairing Din's Fires. That and nair is very disjointed and covers Zard very well if you make sure to RAR and not FF until the final hitbox has ended. Zard's lack of OoS options is indeed a real problem. That's why I try to avoid being stuck in my shield. Zelda's not fast so she can't really punish a roll away. If she's behind Zard, he can nair OoS to punish the lag of anything Zelda does. I get Zelda's strengths in this MU, but I still think Zard has a slight advantage.
vs Zelda - Zard is a big target, so he's easy to kick, and those kicks really cut down on his survivability. Luckily, Zelda is also very floaty, so after a few usmash juggles, she's also easy to kill with uthrow (or more usmashes). Zard's DD and tilts let Zelda out-zone Zelda, but if he tries to directly clash with Zelda's tilts and smashes, he will lose. Also, the Din's traps can severely hamper Zard's DD and tilt game, so it is vital that Zard stay close to Zelda to prevent them from coming out. Recovering is a pain because of Din's, but he can just go high and nair on the way down. Edgeguarding Zelda is also a pain if she has time to lay down Din's, but if she tries to teleport too close to the stage, Zard can just rush out and hit her out of the start-up. At the end of the day, what gives Zard the edge is that his DD game beats out Zelda's defensive game as long as there are no traps out and she's too easy to juggle and kill with uthrow and usmash.

How I think it should be played: Do not give Zelda a chance to lay down traps. If you're at a distance where you suspect she might think she's safe, start dashing in. If you see the Din's start up, DA her. If traps do get laid down, take a quick moment to jab or tilt them away if you have space. You don't want your space to be hampered so you can DD. If you have no space, then back off and start nairing. Once you get her in the air, do not let her back down. Zelda should not be allowed to approach you unless she already has Din's Fires up.
BarBond:
Also, I would have to say that Zard vs Zelda is nearly a one sided match in Zelda's favor by far. Whenever my mate is playing Zelda I can't find any safe approach, nor can I just wait for an opening as Zelda can just camp with her sideb.

Stingers:
yeah zelda destroys zard. just rush in while shes putting the fire out, thats the only thing Ive found that works decently.

Peach:

@Bubba:
vs Peach
Covering your decent with a fair (ff or not) will often catch your opponents of guard.
I don't know what options you get vs peach after backthrow, but you should be able to get a fair at low/mid percentages i feel. Peachs tech roll doesn't seem too bad, so maybe you should consider backthrowing after downthrow techchase doesn't pay off. Mix-ups are always helpfull.
You should also use more RAR. If you find the right distance, You will always be a threat. That lets you controll the pace of the game wonderfully, even against spammier characters. If you spam it on Shield well spaced you are quite safe (except against tethers and ppl who have mastered WD ooS punishes)
Definitely +1 if not better against Peach though. She's basically forced to stay grounded and play Charizard's game the whole time.
also, i am a peach main, and i consider zard to be on of my good secondaries. I can tell u that he is very difficult to deal with. zard just has the right attributes to take on peach. hes got great speed on the ground to take advantage of her not so great speed, and his amazing range in general compared to hers just really is able to beat out most of her attacks. peach likes to approach and defend from the air, and charizards really good air mobility through his jumps and glide, in combo with his glide attack make that an extremely difficult task for peach.

Needs 2.5 or newer strategy:

Ganondorf:

BarBond:
I would like to say that Charizard vs Ganon can be a ***** if the Ganon has some good spacing.

But, you can play keep away for a bit with flamethrower and DDing. You just have to look for an opening and then go hard with combos and good reads.

Bubbaking:
The problem is that Ganon can hit even harder with his own combos and good reads. Flamethrower is a solid keep-away tool, though. DD is too, but I constantly get surprised by Ganon's sideB. It's kinda like an anti-DD tool if he uses it right.

Lucario:

For the record, Zard:Lucario is much more manageable in 2.5. Zard now has something resembling a neutral game and can actively navigate Lucario's stuff more easily.
as far as lucario goes, you have an amazing grab as charizard, and an even better pivot grab. you have two insanely ranged tilts (dtilt and ftilt), a great jab, and two very ranged aerials in your nair and bair. dont commit to approaching against him right off the bat. lucario has a great DD game, so dont take his bait. if dash attack is what your having problems with, then try baiting it out and punishing it with one of you very ranged attacks (all of them out range his). just have patience and try to really think about how lucarios ground game works when going from neutral into offensive. work at preventing the things that give you the most trouble by looking at charizards own mobility and defensive options.

if you space a nair or bair correctly then he shouldnt be able to WD OOS to anything.. its way to slow and short. WD OOS will work well for aura sphere unless hes too close. if hes close, then take to the air and use your superior coverage to cover your way back to the ground. as a character with better range and priority, more ground speed, and far better air mobility, you should not be getting punished so much, you should be doing the punishing, its just a matter of understanding lucario and how to counter his methods.
Luigi:

Bubbaking:
Zard has a tough time against anyone who doesn't have to approach or can stop his approach with ease, neither of which Luigi can really do. Luigi has a great spacing tool in the form of ftilt, but both Zard's ftilt and dtilt out-space it without being (much) slower frame-wise. I also feel like Luigi would be a lot more susceptible to OoS tactics, like shieldgrabs, than most other chars, and Zard thrives off of those.

Recovery-wise, Zard can just jump out there and gimp him. Luigi can store a misfire to switch things up, but that's a one-time thing and doesn't save him in the long run. Tornado also won't save him once Zard starts nairing.

On the other side, Zard gets heavily combo'd once Luigi gets a hit in and Luigi's harder hitting attacks can kill him earlier than he's used to. Fireballs can make life hard, but they're really just a minor annoyance. The main problem I see for Zard here is that Luigi is so hard to combo extensively. A slight screw-up and Zard eats a nair to the face. Luigi is also way harder for Zard to hit with the generic upB combos. For this reason, I think I'd rather go for horizontal gimps/KOs against Luigi then for the BnB vertical KOs that Zard normally flies with.

Luigi isn't really going to be stopping Zard from getting back to the stage. He may be able to hit him off again, but if he doesn't KO him outright, Zard will recover. Luigi also doesn't get his usual invincibility advantage (after coming back from a lost stock) that he would have in most MUs 'cause Zard can simply escape with Fly, and Luigi, IMO, isn't so good at fighting opponents who are above him, so Zard can easily stall out the invincibility in the air and then come back down.

Pit:

Bubbaking:
Luckily, arrows don't do that much damage, and uncharged at any distance other than close-range, they don't hit-confirm into anything other than a quick reset (always know your options in a reset situation). The problem in this MU for me is the nair. I've played against GuruKid's Pit and my Pit has played against John12346's Zard and from what I've observed, the moment Zard gets close enough to actually threaten Pit, he gets an easy way out in the form of a nair that's spaced to land behind your shield. If Zard actually gets hit by the nair, that's mega damage, thanks to combos and grabs and whatnot. Zard's CC isn't really good enough to counter this either. As of now, the only strategy I can think of to combat this is to predict the nair and try to position accordingly ahead of time. I don't know if you've ever played vBrawl, but in a sense, it's like predicting a DACUS from Snake when he's cornered on a flat stage. You know it's gonna happen but you have to predict it, because it's really fast and when it's over, he ends up behind you.

Edit: I also need to mention that Pit is one of the few guys who outright threatens Zard's recovery at all stages. I believe glair should out-prioritize anything Pit tries to do close-up, but arrows can eat up jumps and glides and cause Zard to just fall without gaining much distance. As for recovering low, Pit's dtilt and dair meteor and he can also reverse Zard's horizontal momentum (from both upB and glair) with his mirror shield. (>.<)

Anyway, about reset situations, I will admit that Zard actually doesn't have many options, especially in the situation being discussed regarding Pit. He has upB, since it's invincible for the first four frames and hits on frame 5, making it similar to Bowser's, Samus's, and Pit's upB's. He has spot-dodge and roll, which are really bad options. Lastly, he has jab which hits on frame 5, making it faster than nearly anything Pit has to offer (even Pit's jab is just as slow since it hits on frame 5 as well). I may be missing some options, and I probably am, but I believe these are the main things to be mindful of. Basically, know these options and quickly gauge the situation in order to make an intelligent choice.

Sonic:

metroid1117
As I've said before, Sonic is a hard match-up but it's still winnable. Approaching from the air isn't safe because Sonic can just run away and punish you when you come down; you want to stay grounded as much as possible. However, waiting around and trying to hit him as he comes in isn't good either; it leaves Sonic with too much momentum and it's too easy to get baited. Instead, try to keep as much pressure on Sonic as possible. Dash-canceled jab is great in this match-up since it beats out or trades with Sonic's approaches, puts Sonic off the ground (which is VERY important), and comes out reasonably quickly (according to Rude, it comes out on frame 5). Leelue's Sonic uses more homing attack (HA) than Rat; when on the ground, try shielding the HA or, if you read a HA, USmash. In the match above, you stayed in the air and tried coming down with NAir too often. It worked sometimes, but Leelue got around it by dashdancing or shielding.

Sonic is tough to deal with on the ground, but if you get him in the air then he's more manageable. He doesn't have his dash-dance in the air, so his mobility is much worse; the key to this match-up is to try to keep him in the air as much as possible. Up+B and side+B are good combo-breakers in the air (especially side+B because of its invincibility frames), so don't try to be too ambitious with UAir -> up+B combos. Even when Sonic is in the air, try sticking on the ground unless (1) Sonic is in hitstun and you're comboing/chasing him or (2) Sonic is in a position to get NAir'd or be hit by any other aerial while coming back to the ground. If Sonic is above you, USmash is very good for sucking him, even if he DAirs. If you read a DAir, you can try styling on him and DSmashing the area he'll land on, but it's a pretty difficult read and most opponents will be too smart for that. You tried USmashing a couple of times, but there were moments like at 0:09, 1:21, and 3:15 where you could've tried an USmash out-of-shield.

Unfortunately for Charizard, Sonic has several options to edgeguard him; the one that seemed to give you the most trouble was HA. I usually avoid this by going as low as possible before jumping and up+B'ing, rather than gliding towards the stage and run the risk of getting HA'd. Since you can't get spring-attacked during up+B, recovering with it is reasonably safe but you run the risk of getting edgehogged and it has a small sweetspot. Either way, the key is to mix it up. In the match above, you jumped immediately and tried to recover high almost every time; you got HA'd on your first two stocks, baited into an FSmash on the third, and FAir spiked on the fourth.

Edgeguarding Sonic is tricky, but the goal is to negate his ability to jump out of side+B. I usually try jumping out with sour-spot NAir when I see him side+B and hope that I catch him out of his double-jump or, if you want to be ballsy, you can try killing him out-right with side+B. If Sonic goes high with spring, the best you can do is try using USmash to cover the probable DAir or read an airdodge, depending on Sonic's position. It's trickier if Sonic goes low and springs; you can try going for a tipped DTilt, but if you mess up you'll hit him back up and he can side+B onto the stage. Depending on the position, you can try sour-spot NAir to send him back out or DAir'ing him as he comes up, but it's not an easy position to kill him from. Leelue never really left himself in a position to get edgeguarded, so I can't really comment on this from your perspective.

Tl;dr - This is a hard match-up and keeping Sonic in the air is the most manageable way to do it.

Wario:

Sempai:
Also, I have a ton of Wario experience. He gets behind your shield so easily preventing shield grabs and nair oos hits JUST barely above his head. Short characters don't deserve to be fat too ._. Also, there's nothing Zard can do to beat shoulder bash when he's offstage. Recovering low gives Wario the easiest Dair spike by far and Zard's recovery options does not allow him to recover diagonally. Well, I could glide down then up, but then I'd lose to both shoulder bash and dair since zard has to like nose dive into the ledge for half a second before grabbing it. Wario also drifts out of all of zard's uair combos.

Kink-Link5
I still think overall the matchup is very slightly in Charizard's favour, but that it is close enough to even to be called so. Charizard's anti air options stuff a lot of what Wario can do, leaving him to even more 1-dimensional moves.

Needs any strategy:

Diddy Kong:

Game and Watch:

Ice Climbers:

Ivysaur:

Kirby:

Mewtwo:

Olimar:

Pikachu:

R.O.B.:

Roy:

Samus:

Snake:

Toon Link:

Yoshi:

More to come!

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Falco vs. Charizard

Now this is an unexpected match-up where you would expect the likes of Charizard to be outclassed due to the pressure. But Charizard's shield properties which allow him to defend better and punish off it, along with Falco's fast-falling nature, actually can make this a real surprise for some to believe. But I think?

Charizard is the anti-spacy and Falco takes the brunt of it. He's the kind of character who can take the damage and protect himself for as long as he has to, but when he finds ONE opening and takes it? The opposition is in trouble. Falco is vulnerable at low percents to tech chasing from DThrow, and easy juggles from Jab, UTilt and USmash. Not to mention Flamethrower is a real safe counter to Falco's recovery, unless you want to play the brave option and use Heat Wave for the easy gimp (or even NAir). Falco's already subpar recovery is weakened by Charizard preying on him. And even better? Charizard excels in the air and it's easier to combo an airborne Falco and get him off stage.

I'll have to play with 2.5 more to see if any of my opinions will change on this, but as far as Charizard vs. Falco is concerned, I'd put it as even or in Charizard's favor slightly. As for the bad things about fighting Falco? Falco will always be Falco in his melee glory. And that means you better be prepared to take a lot of laser and drillshine pressure, and if Falco gets YOU off stage, while you've got good options, you're in trouble with that nasty DAir, BAir or FSmash blocking you out. Not to mention his lasers.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
what shield properties make zard good against falco??? nair out of shield?
The options out of shield are fine enough like NAir, but I'm more talking about the fact that for some reason it's hard to break through Charizard's shield. I'm either going to get pressured until my shield gets too low, or I'll grab by the time they go aggro. On top of that, using Fly to avoid his laser fire and reset the situation.

xKobayashi

Smash Apprentice
alright thanks man, sounds good

is the matchup with lucario "unwinnable" even in 2.5
also you think there are any other god awful match ups (to the degree of ic vs peach or something like that)

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Zard vs Shiek is probably pretty close to that level of awful, that's all I know of. Diddy I could see possibly being challenging, and Ivysaur seems a bit difficult based on playing a CPU (so just taken as a grain of salt, but still there).

xKobayashi

Smash Apprentice
hmmm cause i love sticking to my main, but god is peach vs ic's hard and i would be stoked if no such matchup existed for charizard

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
It's probably a good idea to pick up a secondary. Pretty much all the characters in P:M at this point have huge unique strengths and they are fun enough to be considered, especially since no one character is good against every single other character. There will be great matchups and there will be awful ones, and the awful ones are what the secondary is for.

I've also found that picking up a secondary helps me abate using too many stale strategies in my main; analyzing things in depth from another character lets me see more options in my main one.

xKobayashi

Smash Apprentice
true.... and i believe that playing multiple characters makes you see different situations from different perspectives (could be a component of why mango is so successful)
but also trying to learn your characters hardest matchups can teach you things about your character/require you to use him at a proficiency that you otherwise wouldn't have obtained if you chose to counterpick characters (like how dr pp actually plays hbox in the jiggs falco matchup (which albeit is not as difficult as say ics/peach or zard/lucario))

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
The lucario vs Charizard is a bait game for zard I'd like to think. Since you can't just blindly approach lucario you should just play a defensive game if possible.

If the lucario starts throwing out those spheres, I would try and go in with a safe attack like nair. If you can get solid hit in it should start a good combo.

Watch out for lucarios downb though if you have him in the air. If he predicts you he'll just go right through you.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Got it, Kink. I'll probably put those names in red and on the top, since I want those to be easily findable for people who get frustrated with the bad MUs.

So i assume i can post my opinions on the Zard vs Bowser MU here?
Absolutely. This is the place, and I will quote you in the OP for any analysis that you do. :)

omg saph incredible post. good work =]
Thanks, I try ^^

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Bowser vs Zard is a tricky MU. I will give my analysis on 2.1, because i haven't been played a Zard on 2.5 yet.

One thing to notice is that both of you have very good ways to space and poke at each other; Bowser has Fire Breath, Fair, Dtilt and Ftilt, whereas Zard has Flamethrower Nair, Bair, Ftilt, and Dtilt. This makes the MU oriented much towards the player who can not only properly space himself with the correct attacks, but also bait the other player's attacks and start profiting from them. Speaking about Fire Breath, Bowser's has land cancelling and a chomp hitbox on his mouth, yet Charizard has nothing of this at the expense of dealing more damage with his flamethrower. Bowser can effectively crawl through Zard's flames and Up B once he gets close enough to hit Zard, which although damages Bowser slightly, puts Zard in a much less favorable position.

Comboing is an important aspect in this MU as well. If Zard gets Bowser into a combo, he's pretty much dead. Not only Bowser is an incredibly big target, it's almost impossible to escape Zard's Launcher > Uair > Up B shenanigans, assuming Zard doesn't let him get an Nair out. Bowser starting a combo on Zard usually involves attacks such as Side B (which can regrab Zard multiple times at 0% due to being so big), Utilt, Uair and Fair on doesn't really guarantee much of a kill, but gets Zard offstage most of the time, and that's the worst position Zard could ever be vs Bowser.

Speaking off, Edgeguarding is also a tradeoff for both characters, but it's also where Bowser starts to pick off a lot in term of kills. Bowser absolutely destroys any attempts Charizard has of recovering if you pick the right move, but the thing Zard will fear the most is Down B; Due to having Super armor on the way down, dealing tremendous knockback and being able to insta-catch the ledge, it's an incredibly safe and rewarding method to edgeguard Zard with because his recovery is so linear. Other very good options are Dtilt, Bair, Fair or Ftilt depending on the % Zard is in and if you think a Down B could be punished.

Zard also has a pretty damn good time edgeguarding Bowser as well. If he tries to recover low, Dtilt does the trick. A little higher, Fsmash or Side-B do a very good job. Higher than that (Where Zard has to jump). Bair and Fair are other good moves to try if Bowser recovers even high than that, and hell, if Bowser tries to go silly and recover all the way up you can just intercept him in the ground with a launcher and start comboing. HOWEVER, you should be very careful of a recovering Bowser trying to use Down B to grab the ledge. Momentum lets him to this, and it's still as dangerous to get hit by as always since Bowser can then ledgejump and punish with something appropiate.

All things considered, i say Bowser has the lead in 2.1 by a nice margin. (60-40)

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
zard vs ike is good from my experience. You nair actually has good enough range to beat out many of ikes approaches, and flamethrower is great for this as well. your dtilt is a valuable asset vs ike, as it outranges most of his ground attacks and will set you up for combos. you are faster than him, so baiting is not difficult, and punishing is even easier thanks to your great grab, speed, and range in general. you can tech chase the hell out of ike, and since he isnt the fastest and most agile character, you have an easy time keeping him on lock down. i think they can both survive to probably similar percents, but charizard might have a slight advantage in this area because of ikes now shorter ranged hilt sweetspots. zard also has more reliable combos to kill, whereas ike will space for them more often than combo into them.

also, i am a peach main, and i consider zard to be on of my good secondaries. I can tell u that he is very difficult to deal with. zard just has the right attributes to take on peach. hes got great speed on the ground to take advantage of her not so great speed, and his amazing range in general compared to hers just really is able to beat out most of her attacks. peach likes to approach and defend from the air, and charizards really good air mobility through his jumps and glide, in combo with his glide attack make that an extremely difficult task for peach.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Ike isn't a "good" matchup; it's close enough to even and could easily go either way in spite of Zard having a nair from the gods. Ike has decent baiting options this time around and can still cripple Charizard off only a few hits. Even his tipper hits are strong and still set up for very debilitating followups, which can happen conveniently enough from any number of openings in Zard's spacing and neutral game. It isn't like in 2.1 where Ike is immune to followups with his neutral B, but his better dashdance throws off a lot of what went into Zard just keeping his tail tip close to Ike.

Marth, on the other hand, is much more hurt by nair spacing than some people seem to think, and I was very surprised by people saying Marth is one of Zard's hard matchups when everything I've experienced seems to indicate the opposite. I wouldn't call it a straight up unwinnable matchup for Marth, but it's a battle of spacing vs better spacing for the most part. Pretty much everything about what Marth can do to Zard outside of dair, Charizard can do back to Marth more easily and more effectively. Juggles? Check. Anti-airs? Check. Space control? Check. In the neutral game Marth comes down to essentially trying to dash dance and out-grab Charizard, without the rewards Marth would get for this strategy against, say, Fox with chain grabs, or floaties with anti-air options after a grab.

Definitely +1 if not better against Peach though. She's basically forced to stay grounded and play Charizard's game the whole time.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
link is sort of annoying because you are a floaty character (you arent that fast in the air). what i reccomend is that you approach in the air facing backwards. nair will stop his boomerang, which is his best defense against an aerial opponent. his bombs and arrows can be punished if he tries to use them in the air, as that allows you to fastfall and get under him. once you get an opponening on the ground, thats where u get in and stay in. all of your ground attacks are faster and more ranged than his (save maybe utilt), so once you get past his projectile defenses, then you have the ability to really keep him locked down. once hes offstage, you should definitely be able to kill him. the only difficult part about the match up is getting past the projectiles. i reccomended facing backwards because of the better range you can cover with nair and bair. just be patient and really try to think about the most efficient way to navigate the sort of puzzle that his projectiles give him.

JOE!

Smash Hero
His grab is the worst part. It outranges everything and is relatively fast, and nothing is escapable from a dthrow...

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
thats true but is very punishable. if your opponent is grab happy then learn to position yourself just outside of his grab range. this puts a lot of pressure on link to do something because he isnt a very mobile character and has a lot of punishable attacks. charizard has a very fast running speed and a very large grab range, so try using that to ur advantage to bait out a grab and punish him. also, crouch cancel ur runs into dtilts. thats a great way to punish as well, and it either pops ur opponent up for a combo, or it hits them at a low angle which can put them in much less favorable positions. link is going to control the pace of this MU because of how aggressive he is with projectiles.just play it patiently, and take advantage of your opponenings. they do come, you just cant go running in expecting to overwhelm link because he does have a lot of disjointed coverage to keep himself safe.

metroid1117

Smash Master
JOE!, do you have any videos? It's hard to give you advice without seeing how you're getting punished.

I haven't fought a lot of Links, but I played Hylian's Link at SCSYN. (Sadly, none of our matches were recorded because I didn't bring my recording setup and failed to hit record on the setup we were playing on.) I didn't try fighting him backwards in the neutral position, but I've had the most success rushing in and not giving them room to use projectiles; it's really tough to make it past projectiles if they're used properly, but the key is to not give the opponent enough space to safely use them. Although large character size doesn't help, wavedashing out-of-shield and fast dashes (which Charizard has) help a lot. As for the grab, it's not particularly fast, so as Flux said above, try baiting them out as much as possible. In addition to dash-canceled DTilts, I highly recommend making the extra commitment and dash-canceling jabs as well; while it lacks the horizontal reach of DTilt, it's faster and has much greater vertical range, allowing you to possibly catch people who are trying to retreating short-hop their projectiles.

Grabs work wonders against Link - because he's not floaty, he'll either be set up for FAir if he DI's up or tech chases if he DI's away when you BThrow him. Although he won't be caught as often as spacies, he'll be forced into teching positions fairly often - be VERY observant about when you can force him to hit the ground and when you can't. If you can't force a tech, then try to read his jump and FAir him. If you can force him to tech, try punishing him with grabs and DSmash. DSmash is a particularly good because it covers so many options at once and you can set him up for an edgeguard with DSmash -> Heat Wave.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I might have some, but it'll be in a bit since I wasn't the recorder lol. Mainly my issue was just closing space without being grabbed, like trying to bait it just lead to other moves.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
if you do end up getting some videos recorded, you will definitely recieve a lot of help on these threads. until then, whenever u play link just pay extra careful attention to the situations that are giving you difficulty, and think about the preliminary moves that you did that led you into those situations. prevention is the key if you are always getting punished, so just dont do what puts you in a positon to get punished. try looking up some PM link vs charizard videos as well. ive definitely seen at least a few somewhere on youtube, ill try to look them up and post them here for you to watch. you could gain some insight.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
I*ll use this thread instead of the general one to get a little more specific...
Problems i*m having:
What can i do after Bthrowing Wolf with which DI? cant hit anz nairs or fairs.
runoff and waiting for wolf to act, then nairing works if he wants to recover low, and dtilt might connect, havent gotten it to work though.
And i have problems edgeguarding him, because i'm to afraif of sideB to hog the edge. Ideas?

I'd LOVE to have something like a chart on what options are guaranteed against which character at what percentage and with which DI. it seems that*d be alot easier to figure out as a group effort then doing it all by myself, plus i don't have alot of ppl to practice with.

What do i do against Lucario, specifically dashattack? Going for distance is bad due to spam, and close combat i lose to dashattack. (can*t shield, grab or shffl against quick Lucario)
Obviously fuzzys techskill is a lot better then mine, however i felt really overwhelmned, because even my dashdance->grab games were ineffective because of his balls or overshooting. any ideas?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
as far as your chart theory goes, it works on paper, but in reality, intuition and experience are going to take you a lot further than memorizing a chart. one small difference in percent or DI really can change what your best option to take might be, and that really is where your ability to think on the spot and in game is going to show. a chart can give you an idea of what the best options generally are, but its really situation dependent and cant replace experience. as far as wolf goes, if you are afraid of getting side b'ed, just stay out of line of its trajectory. it can be edge hogged very easily, so you just have to understand the timing of when he recovers. as far as bthrow goes off the edge, its just really intuitive. if you think hes going to jump immediatly out of it, then a dtilt or aerial can work. if you think hes going to stay low and not jump right away, maybe its best to get on the ledge and try to meteor smash him when he tries to up b. really try to think about all your options here, I cant give you a set answer. ive got a lot of experience as wolf, but not quite against him, so i couldnt tell you what things ive grown accustomed to working against him.

as far as lucario goes, you have an amazing grab as charizard, and an even better pivot grab. you have two insanely ranged tilts (dtilt and ftilt), a great jab, and two very ranged aerials in your nair and bair. dont commit to approaching against him right off the bat. lucario has a great DD game, so dont take his bait. if dash attack is what your having problems with, then try baiting it out and punishing it with one of you very ranged attacks (all of them out range his). just have patience and try to really think about how lucarios ground game works when going from neutral into offensive. work at preventing the things that give you the most trouble by looking at charizards own mobility and defensive options.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
damn, i just wrote a post and accidentally deleted it... well the gist was:

charts aren*t useful in matches, but for practicing. knowing percentages is important in top levels, options for backthrow game are many but still limited. knowing the right options is helpful, compare to marths chaingrab.

Lucario: When i tried to gain space he shut down my movement with spheres, and in close range my options felt more limited and unsafer. if he shields one aerial he can always go for wavedash OoS to anything or an aerial OoS. My turnaround (not pivot!?!) grabs didn't work because he can easily overshoot his dashattack.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
if you space a nair or bair correctly then he shouldnt be able to WD OOS to anything.. its way to slow and short. WD OOS will work well for aura sphere unless hes too close. if hes close, then take to the air and use your superior coverage to cover your way back to the ground. as a character with better range and priority, more ground speed, and far better air mobility, you should not be getting punished so much, you should be doing the punishing, its just a matter of understanding lucario and how to counter his methods. i really cant help you any more than that unless you can show some videos or something so i can see where your having difficulties.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
I Posted Videos in the Video thread. It'd be great if you Could watch them. I might have Home about the matchup wrong in the secondhand Match, but from a the first Set and freeplay, i felt like i was getting shut down Hardware when i gave him too much space. I know this isnt just a matchup thing, im just a slower Player than fuzzyness...

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
hey yomi sorry its take me a bit to get back to you, been wrapped up in classes. but i watched your sets vs lucario and i think a lot of what i said earlier does apply. i think you definitely used nair a little bit excessively and sometimes randomly. in those random times, i can see where you were coming from with it, but i think a less punishable grounded option would have been the better route. a frontwards facing nair has like no use unless your opponent is in the air above you, at least from my experience. i think you at times also commited far too much to moves which ended up getting you punished. i think trying to gain the low ground is also extremely beneficial, where often times you would give that positional advantage up for favor of SH nairs. i really stick to the fact in this case that you need to put yourself in a position where you will out prioritize lucario, because seriously, if you use the right moves, you will. i think jab, dtilt, and ftilt are key in this MU (or at least vs fuzzyness) as they all allow you to stay defensive, and cover space in front of you (and above in jabs case) very well. i think you need to utilize those options more while staying grounded and commiting less to approaches. crouch cancel your dashes then follow from there with jabs or dtilts. often times with charizards speed, you can get a reaction out of your opponent simply by running at them, in which case, its best to play conservatively and punish vs being punished. zard has great coverage in front of and above him. i know its tempting sometimes to rush in with a SHFFL, but you want to force lucario above you. and if he stays on the ground, then you need to not take his bait and outprioritize him. if he aura spheres, stay patient. if you simply need to shield a couple and WD OOS (even if you WD in place to keep position) then do that, cuz you can beat out a dash attack follow up with your attacks with proper spacing. the last place you want to be is above him, because then you give up your ability to defend. a good for instance is in the second set when you got him down to one life and he threw like 5 aura spheres at you while u camped on the ledge. i think a better option instead of jump would have been to simply get straight up onto the stage, then advance with short dashes followed by shielding the spheres.

i think you do have a good hold on charizard a lot of the time, and its obvious that it was really this individual MU that was hurting. the best advice i can give is to have a little bit more patience and play less impulsively, based on those two sets.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
wow, awesome feedback, thanks alot! most non-reversed nairs were propably a mistake, or rather habit, i try to not use them at all.
I think you are right about everything you said :D I guess i got impatient after a while and felt more threat from his spheres than they actually pose... he advised me to pick a bigger stage next time aswell.
Really glad someone got around to giving me tipps :D I want to become the very best!

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
haha thanks i appreciate it. anything to help the community! ive got my own share of things im working on adjusting in my own game, and i think teaching is by far the best way to learn something, so i like to try and help people with their own games and work through their troubles.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Came back to say that Metroid was kinda right.....in a way. I've played both Hat's Sheik in a $5 MM and Kels' Sheik in tourney and beaten them both. Zard:Sheik isn't that bad the way a lot of Sheiks are playing the MU, but it should be REALLY bad. I still stand by my own experiences as Sheik against John12346's Zard (his Zard is very solid; it beat The Moon, 4-stocking him in the process, and Cel/Codi; John also got 3rd in a large P:M tourney in NY with several prominent players in attendance). I play a very cheap, defensive Sheik because I don't like to put up with BS, and against this methodical no-nonsense cheapness, Zard can't really do anything. Yes, Zard edgeguards Sheik pretty well, but you know what? So does Samus in Melee and Sheik is Samus' hardest MU. Yeah, Zard can CC all of Sheik's ground attacks, but again, so can Samus, and she has even better CCC's. This doesn't make the MU any better for her. Zard doesn't even have Samus' OoS prowess.

Forgetting about char and MU comparison, I still strongly feel that, when played well, Sheik shuts down Zard, but going by my 100% win ratio against good Sheiks, I guess they don't know how to play the MU yet. This is kind of like what happened with Leelue and the Sonic:Sheik MU where Leelue believed that Sheik won but he settled for even or Sonic's favor because he'd never lost to a Sheik in tourney. :laugh:

Drike

Smash Rookie
I think Charizard's worst matchup is Mario.
Mario's nair beats out all of Zard's aerials. While Mario's cape is always a great move, it is even better against Charizard because his up-B lingers for a bit and doesn't have disjointment, making it relatively easy to cape. Also, if Mario predicts an off-stage glair, it's insta-kill. Not to mention, Mario has chain grabs against Zard just like Bowser.

I think Zard's best matchup is Jigglypuff.
Zard beats her from the ground and the air. Zard's jab thwarts any of Puff's air assaults, and almost all of Zard's ariels will out reach Jiggly in the air. Rest isn't really all that great against Zard either. If she misses a rest, she gets hit with a tipped side-smash (kills Jiggs at about 30% on most stages). If she hits, Zard can use his great dash speed to punish anyways with either a tipped side-smash or on big stages where he doesn't have enough time, maybe a grab, back-throw to side-B (great on floaties).

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Alright, I've updated the first post with the last two analysis posts and I've sectioned a few things out now. I have preliminary colors up for any character with at least one 2.5 review- however, any with only 2.1 or below reviews are still uncolored and I will wait until 2.5 reviews are made before giving them a color. I've also sectioned any characters with no reviews (the exceptions are ZSS and Ness) at the bottom so they're easier to see for anyone who has tips on characters no one has brought up yet. Enjoy and keep the conversation going! :)

If you feel I've placed the wrong color on a character, let me know and please explain why they should be a different color- I'll change it based on how much evidence there is.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
This thread is awesome, and i'd love to contribute, but so far i've been focussing my attention on handling charizard, and i don't really play enough to give MU advice that isn't horrible generic.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
It's all good, don't worry :) I'm honestly doing the same thing, and you can contribute whenever you feel experienced enough in a certain MU. There's no rush to contribute, just do what you can. :p

Top Bottom