• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charged Smashes

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
After you glide toss a banana, you find that your opponent is in front of you. You can dsmash or fsmash for the kill. In this situation, since the opponent is still stunned, you have an opportunity to charge the smash for a bit before using it. How come ADHD (reference to a top player) doesn't do this? I'm sure it would decrease the %, if slightly, needed to get the kill.

Sorry if I'm mistaken, or I'm missing something.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
After you glide toss a banana, you find that your opponent is in front of you. You can dsmash or fsmash for the kill. In this situation, since the opponent is still stunned, you have an opportunity to charge the smash for a bit before using it. How come ADHD (reference to a top player) doesn't do this? I'm sure it would decrease the %, if slightly, needed to get the kill.

Sorry if I'm mistaken, or I'm missing something.
You do realize they can still roll away? Even while sliding, it won't make as big of a difference, if at all. You're better off getting what you can.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yeah I think your right about slightly charged smashes being inescapeable. But, its better to just smash I think since if your not right in front, its possible to still walk and then smash right away. You wouldnt have the time to charge one if you walked.

Also, it could be for the surprise factor. Your opponent wont be able to tell which follow up you will do after the trip so they wont know which way to DI/how to react.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Lol, I do. It only works on certain characters with slightly longer trip animations. You can only charge it for an extra 1% on real players and barely any boost of knockback. It's not that revolutionary.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
A lot of people in my region have started to do the normal wake-up out of a downed position (just push up on the directional stick) in order to manipulate a small number of invincibility frames in the middle of a banana peel lock. If you read this, it becomes feasible and probably even preferable that you charge a smash.

If you read a retreating roll off of a banana peel, you can often times start walking towards your opponent while it is getting buffered, and nail them with a D-smash while they are actually holding the directional stick away from you, just before they stand back up. The fact that you are catching them DIing away from the stage can extend the length of the knock-back on the D-smash significantly, and can be the difference in edge-guarding a recovering opponent or just surprise KOing them at earlier percentages.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I charge smashes only against characters like DK that bounce when tripped =/

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
What Le_Thien said. I notice people starting to just do "Up" out of a trip and if they only do up out of it we could charge our smashes a bit more.
But again it is only like 1-3 % more and if you're going to smash after it it should kill anyway.
vvvI know but like I said if you are going to smash it should kill anyway.
And if it DOESN'T kill then you just staled your F/Dsmash.

Dekar173

Justice Man
A charged smash really changes the knockback. It sounds to me like you guys are all just lazy and fear missing the smash. An extra guaranteed 1% ? You bet your *** I'm going to go for it. Tech read for the kill? Again, I'm all over it.

@OP- despite it being old news, it IS nice to have this verified and confirmed that I'm not just some risky fool, and that this is guaranteed. Thanks :)

Also, even if it doesn't kill, that's extra time that the opponent will be forced to recover, time you can be using to better set up the stage and edgeguard.

It's win win.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
I was thinkin' of trying this as well. I don't really care much for the extra one percent but the knock-back is all I want.

But if certain characters have a longer trip time then maybe we should compile a little table on characters who have that longer trip effect or not. That way we all can know who to glide toss charge smash against.

It could possibly help in match-ups (not a lot of course), but it can give players facing Diddys who have that longer trip effect something to watch out for. Who knows; I think we should give it a try.

Agree/Disagree?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Heres what I know about different characters trip;

Longest Trip Animation: Pikachu/G&W

Shortest Trip Distance: Lucario/Wolf
Longest Trip Distance: Luigi

I dont really know who has the shortest trip animation but Im guessing its the largest group with several characters (sort of like the norm)

FOXYB

Smash Cadet

But If Certain Characters Have A Longer Trip Time Then Maybe We Should Compile A Little Table On Characters Who Have That Longer Trip Effect Or Not. That Way We All Can Know Who To Glide Toss Charge Smash Against.

It Could Possibly Help In Match-ups (not A Lot Of Course), But It Can Give Players Facing Diddys Who Have That Longer Trip Effect Something To Watch Out For. Who Knows; I Think We Should Give It A Try.

Agree/disagree?
Agree Agree Agree

Top Bottom