• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I guess the only character I can honestly say that I don't want is the Dragon Quest Slime. I would definitely love a DQ character in Smash, and I understand that the Slime is one of the most recognizable things from the franchise, but I just...don't want it to represent the entire series in Smash. It just doesn't feel right to me. In my opinion, the Slime works best as DQ's symbol, and using it like that would instantly make people realize that the character their being is from the Dragon Quest franchise even if they know nothing about the series other than the Slime.

For instance, if we were to get Alena from DQ4, the moment someone sees her symbol they'd instantly go "Oh! This character's from Dragon Quest". I just feel that an actual DQ character would be a better choice for Smash than Slime would. I understand it's iconic, but it'd be just as iconic being DQ's symbol.

I hope this didn't come off as mean, because that wasn't my intention. I respect people who actually want Slime, and I understand the reasoning for it, but I just wouldn't want it to take the place of an actual DQ character. I hope this makes sense.
I feel the same way.

Mascots are the face of a franchise, but they don't represent the world, the characters, the tone, or the gameplay.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
BirthNote BirthNote I asked for citings, not fair reasons to believe it influenced it. Like, where do the developers talk about it? Those are definite coincidences otherwise(I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd honestly like some proof, that's all. :)). To go back to the KI comparison, you could argue Combos, while KI officially did them first, weren't really considered important till SFII did them. It is the first game to do so, but it might not have influenced it. It however indefinitely influenced the Combo Breaker. Announcer Chatter is the most infamous from KI, but it might not have given a reason for everyone else to do it(though it probably did, but then you have stuff like games with rosters just saying stuff, so it's not that obvious).
Fair enough, I looked around for some articles/interviews and here's what I found.

For Jak & Daxter:
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/24/behind-the-classics-jak-daxter/

For Ratchet & Clank:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2...ecrets-of-ratchet-and-clanks-15-year-survival

I couldn't find something for Sunshine sadly, but as for the Sony games, while B-K aren't the only inspiration it is notable. With Ratchet being the only 2000's Platformer that's still functioning, it IMO is good to know that Banjo contributed to its creation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth I know this is a bit off the current topic but I'm super curious to hear your take on Shantae's chances of being playable. Your take in regards to Banjo-Kazooie has given me something new to consider and though I personally feel the character is justifiable for inclusion, I completely understand your reasoning as to the difficulty involved at the legal level. And being a Geno supporter myself, I also understand that adding Cloud first was basically a no-brainer (only in retrospect, though, I admit xD).

It's currently one of Nintendo's stated goals to give more exposure to the Indie scene and I can't imagine the correspondence with WayForward being difficult at all (being as they're all fans of Nintendo and cater to them a lot), outside of language barriers at least. Shantae could also be considered a "soft icon" being that she's at least near the top of the Indie scene. Though I'm completely open to a brutal interpretation of her chances if you'd be so willing.

Seeing as I wouldn't be able to examine her chances in a non-biased manner, I would like to hear the perspective of someone who's opinion I respect.
Well, as someone who never played the games, I feel she has a good chance myself. While she is hardly a shaper of gaming history alone, she also comes from a popular set of games, but more importantly, I feel her votes are very high due to Wayforward pushing them. I think the demand is there. I also don't feel she has any hard competition in the same way. While yes, a Touhou character is a huge Indie in their own right, they also may not have the demand, making it iffy. Shovel Knight was her big competition, of course. And Steve? is no longer an Indie(but also very easy to get into the game outside of moveset issues at best).

So I'd say her chances are fair. Considering SK is now an AT, this also shows Sakurai is willing to add Indie content.

-------------

I feel Slime is a good Dragon Quest choice, but he should represent his own spin-offs and the Dragon Quest Monster series. He's the series' Pikachu, but Pikachu does not represent how Pokemon plays as a whole. Pokemon Trainer does. Any of the Heroes are great choices, and are the Trainer. Slime is the Pikachu. I'd say both are good options overall and do their own thing.

Fair enough, I looked around for some articles/interviews and here's what I found.

For Jak & Daxter:
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/24/behind-the-classics-jak-daxter/

For Ratchet & Clank:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2...ecrets-of-ratchet-and-clanks-15-year-survival

I couldn't find something for Sunshine sadly, but as for the Sony games, while B-K aren't the only inspiration it is notable. With Ratchet being the only 2000's Platformer that's still functioning, it IMO is good to know that Banjo contributed to its creation.
I think Sunshine is more likely a coincidence anyway. But yeah, I didn't seriously know this at all. Thank you for the information.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Well, as someone who never played the games, I feel she has a good chance myself. While she is hardly a shaper of gaming history alone, she also comes from a popular set of games, but more importantly, I feel her votes are very high due to Wayforward pushing them. I think the demand is there. I also don't feel she has any hard competition in the same way. While yes, a Touhou character is a huge Indie in their own right, they also may not have the demand, making it iffy. Shovel Knight was her big competition, of course. And Steve? is no longer an Indie(but also very easy to get into the game outside of moveset issues at best).

So I'd say her chances are fair. Considering SK is now an AT, this also shows Sakurai is willing to add Indie content.
Thank you. I appreciate that you took the time to respond. =)

To be honest, I was completely prepared for you to tear down her chances. Though I absolutely would have respected that take as well. I suppose her playable chances hinges more on whether or not Nintendo believes that Indies are capable of generating a profit worth investing more into. I could see the logic in making Shantae a gateway to Indie purchases.

Of course, I'll respectfully accept any other outcome.~

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I haven't played any SMT yet, but it seems like its tone clashes pretty hard with that of Smash unless it's someone like Jack Frost.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
In no particular order. No offense to fans of these characters.

Bandana Waddle Dee (too generic if you ask me)
Ninten
Paper Mario or any other Mario clone.
More Fire Emblem characters. We have more than enough already.
Issac (we have enough generic sword fighter characters)
Sora
Lloyd Irving
Tekken characters
Dante
Minecraft Steve
Master Chief
Goku (or any non-video game character)
It seems you don't know much about Isaac if you think he'd be a generic sword fighter. Isaac rarely uses his sword, really all he does with it is leap attacks in his home game and he also uses other weapons such as an axe or a mace. He is a venus adept which means he of his moves are from Venus psynergy which is a special type of magic that revolves around earth and plants so he's basically an earth-bender which we don't have in Smash at all. He can also use creatures called djinn that are divided into the the four elements to give him new spells, change his class and to give him the ability to summon beasts in battle. He can also use utility psynergy to conjure a giant hand that can be used to help him with different motions

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Thank you. I appreciate that you took the time to respond. =)

To be honest, I was completely prepared for you to tear down her chances. Though I absolutely would have respected that take as well. I suppose her playable chances hinges more on whether or not Nintendo believes that Indies are capable of generating a profit worth investing more into. I could see the logic in making Shantae a gateway to Indie purchases.

Of course, I'll respectfully accept any other outcome.~
If it makes you feel better, I honestly think characters who aren't big but have a huge demand have a good chance now thanks to the ballot. Let me say this as someone who thought SK had the most chance; Shantae absolutely had a decent chance, though maybe not for DLC. I think the issue is one Indie was being pushed over the others, so that hurt her a bit.

Anyway, I should clarify I think B&K could show up, I just don't feel he's a guaranteed Microsoft appearance if they get content. The only way I feel is worth banking on is Minecraft. But hey, we've all made incorrect predictions, and that's okay too.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I haven't played any SMT yet, but it seems like its tone clashes pretty hard with that of Smash unless it's someone like Jack Frost.
I'd say the same thing if we didn't have Snake and Bayo.

The series they're in can be pretty gruesome and dark.

Plus, it's not like any of that shows in gameplay, anyways.

StormC

Smash Hero
Final Fantasy VII has:

-bloody stabbings
-prostitution and crossdressing
-main characters that are terrorists killing innocents
-explorations of corporate-military imperialism, planetary pollution, and existentialism

Please tell me how SMT is simply just too out of place.

Also, Master Chief will never get into Smash as long as Japanese developers create it.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
You make it sound like Minecraft having content isn't a big thing that and won't do very well. You are still putting Banjo way higher than he remotely deserves to be. No, he isn't this big gun in any way. He's a very popular character from a great franchise. He is nowhere near the top of Microsoft's major IP list. Let's please stop severely overrating his chances. I can't see Sakurai walking away at all regardless of Banjo, because he isn't the only reason to ever go to Microsoft.
No, I'm saying Mineraft wouldn't do well what I'm saying is we can be certain Banjo did better than Steve in the ballot. The ballot was mainly the hardcore fans who care about who makes it into Smash. Steve is a very polarizing figure among the hardcore fanbase. As mod I know you've seen that Steve can draw very critical responses from the fans so he likely didn't do that well on the ballot. It doesn't matter that Minecraft would be a casual darling Banjo outperformed Steve and I doubt anyone will say otherwise. Banjo doesn't need to be the killer app for Xbox he has the popular vote. That's all we care about. Because Banjo is wanted far more than his more recognizable friends he is in a prime position to come alongside them. Sakurai gets Steve for the worldwide appeal and Banjo for the popularity. That is something Sakurai is very likely to do. It doesn't matter that Microsoft has bigger names Sakurai isn't just going to ignore him.

Also, Banjo is the Geno of that analogy. But then we already have the one problem with your analogy, there is nothing to imply Sakurai wants him in the game. At all.
Yes Banjo is the Geno in this situation. A character that Sakurai will try to get alongside the big names. That's literally what I keep saying. And as for Sakurai not wanting him there is zero evidence he doesn't want him or doesn't like him and that's far more important.

No, we need to know why on earth he considered Geno in the first place in Brawl to ever compared it to Banjo.
I don't even need to read the rest of that paragraph. We don't need to know anything more than Sakurai was willing to put in a small character like Geno. Nothing else matters. It shows Banjo could still be considered despite being dead and more niche than the more well known IPs.

There are 4 major IP's right now that are with Microsoft worth getting. Killer Instinct(relevant, gaming history, recent), Minecraft(relevant, gaming history, recent, severe popularity), Halo(relevant, gaming history, recent, fan demand), and Banjo & Kazooie(only has fan demand on their side). He could go for any of these and walk away with only 1. The reality is? Yes, it could happen. It's pointless to deny this possibility. I don't think it's likely B&K won't show up at all, but I also don't feel it's right to overrate their chances when that would set me up for extreme disappointment if it doesn't happen(mind you, I also am not a major fan of them, but I do think they are a legit choice and a viable contender. Just not on the level of the other three IP's at this point. If it was not dead, then it would be). Fulgore legitimately has an issue with fan demand, unlike Minecraft, Halo, and B&K content. But that's the only thing going against it. I don't think Fulgore will be playable. B&K are a bit low and have decent chances. In fact, I honestly think there's a good chance we'll get no playable Microsoft characters overall. Maybe some AT's or other non-playable content at best. There's just too many negotiations and unknown factors to begin with. We don't know the ballot results and to act like B&K are super high is a bad idea. And I'm someone who thinks it's their only remote chance of ever being playable right now. Doesn't mean they will even be considered for Ultimate(as they may be just outdwarfed by tons of other characters, or the fact they're currently irrelevant might be enough to keep them out.
No, it can't first none of those have fan demand besides Banjo. I mean they do even the smallest of characters has at least 1 fan but none of them have enough fan demand to say they have fan demand. Sakurai is going to go in there and get as many characters as possible one of which is Banjo which we know Microsoft is totally ok with letting him use so in those negotiations Sakurai will try to get to Banjo and if the talks don't fall through then he will come along with whoever else Sakurai wanted to grab, or negotiations will fall through and he will walk away with no one. Sakurai will not approach Microsoft with no intention of getting Banjo and it is exceptionally unlikely that Microsoft will "you can only have one character now pick". In fact, the most likely scenario for Ultimate is sadly Sakurai hasn't approached Microsoft at all but if he does and legal proceedings don't fall through Banjo will be the character or one of the characters he comes back with that's it.

Do you see the issue now?
I mean, it's fair to think it's likely Sakurai is going to go for Banjo when going to Microsoft. I agree. It's likely. But a guarantee? No. Just a valid possibility. Also, I'll make it clear that the reason I'm trying to make sure you understand this so if we only get non B&K content in(a valid possibility), you understand why it was not as much of a guarantee as you and others think it was. I don't want people to set themselves up for disappointment instead of simply accepting things might not go the way they want. And again, I must note that I think he has a decent chance of getting in, but not by himself in any way. I can't see any reason for Sakurai to ignore the highly iconic other Microsoft content, which will sell the game even more since it'll grab multiple customers besides a small set of people who played in the n64 period(as an n64 vet myself, I know for a fact that there's too many people who don't know or care about B&K, meaning he will not be the best system seller ever either. Definitely will grab a set of fans, just not as much as characters like Sonic can, or even Master Chief, who appeals to a significantly bigger fanbase beyond Nintendo fans at best).
I see what you're trying to say is an issue and I can concede that it is possible that Steve or Chief join and Banjo doesn't make the cut, it's just that's far more unlikely than him joining with them or him joining and they don't. I mean it's also possible Goku will be the first DLC character but it's extremely unlikely just like getting Chief or Steve without Banjo is extremely unlikely. So no I don't view it as a problem to feel extremely confident that if Sakurai talks with Microsoft and comes back with Minecraft content that he is also coming back with Banjo content.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No, I'm saying Mineraft wouldn't do well what I'm saying is we can be certain Banjo did better than Steve in the ballot. The ballot was mainly the hardcore fans who care about who makes it into Smash. Steve is a very polarizing figure among the hardcore fanbase. As mod I know you've seen that Steve can draw very critical responses from the fans so he likely didn't do that well on the ballot. It doesn't matter that Minecraft would be a casual darling Banjo outperformed Steve and I doubt anyone will say otherwise. Banjo doesn't need to be the killer app for Xbox he has the popular vote. That's all we care about. Because Banjo is wanted far more than his more recognizable friends he is in a prime position to come alongside them. Sakurai gets Steve for the worldwide appeal and Banjo for the popularity. That is something Sakurai is very likely to do. It doesn't matter that Microsoft has bigger names Sakurai isn't just going to ignore him.
Steve? isn't even that polarizing as you make it. There's a really tiny minority of fans who are hard Nintendo purists or can't accept a character if they aren't majorly important to Nintendo. Sakurai coincidentally ignores these people because he's sick of the console wars bull****. You also are claiming one character did better than the other with no evidence from the ballot to support it. There is no way to know who did better. They're both very likely really high due to heavily popular characters. I wouldn't pay attention to a ton of fan-haters on this site. They're mostly irrelevant. This isn't like Tingle who legit has a severely huge hatebase in the West, for some awful reason.

Yes Banjo is the Geno in this situation. A character that Sakurai will try to get alongside the big names. That's literally what I keep saying. And as for Sakurai not wanting him there is zero evidence he doesn't want him or doesn't like him and that's far more important.
And zero evidence Sakurai wants Banjo or likes him. You can't really pull that either and expect a completely unknown variable to be in your favor. We don't know jack-all on what he thinks of Banjo. We know that fan demand can help. That's it.

I don't even need to read the rest of that paragraph. We don't need to know anything more than Sakurai was willing to put in a small character like Geno. Nothing else matters. It shows Banjo could still be considered despite being dead and more niche than the more well known IPs.
This does not show anything of the sort towards Banjo at all. Sakurai did not really consider him at all as a viable character at any time that we can cite. If Geno's reason for being in Brawl, no matter how much you like to deny this, is because only he was interested, then it is completely different from any case of Banjo getting in from fan demand. Geno only got a costume because Sakurai already wanted him in as well. He had that going for him. Sakurai isn't just going to push for a 3rd party character because of fan demand alone. He didn't for Geno, or did he? We don't know because you can't legitimately prove why he wanted him in Brawl. Did you know there was absolutely zero polls for characters who were wanted in Brawl? That's right, Geno's entire votebase is only cited as a tiny few(like no more than 10 or so) from the Melee polls. That means that Sakurai either went for fanpolls or just played his game instead. He plays lots of games. It's more probably he doesn't really look into fanpolls(using only his own polls) and actually play a game to see if the character interests him. In other words, it's more likely Geno would not have gotten even a costume if Sakurai didn't like him. Yes, it's possible he looked at fanpolls. But the kicker is? We don't know. This is where your comparison falls flat. You're assuming fanpolls got Geno in as a costume, when that's not the whole story.

No, it can't first none of those have fan demand besides Banjo. I mean they do even the smallest of characters has at least 1 fan but none of them have enough fan demand to say they have fan demand. Sakurai is going to go in there and get as many characters as possible one of which is Banjo which we know Microsoft is totally ok with letting him use so in those negotiations Sakurai will try to get to Banjo and if the talks don't fall through then he will come along with whoever else Sakurai wanted to grab, or negotiations will fall through and he will walk away with no one. Sakurai will not approach Microsoft with no intention of getting Banjo and it is exceptionally unlikely that Microsoft will "you can only have one character now pick". In fact, the most likely scenario for Ultimate is sadly Sakurai hasn't approached Microsoft at all but if he does and legal proceedings don't fall through Banjo will be the character or one of the characters he comes back with that's it.
The only one that doesn't have nearly as much fan demand is Fulgore at best. Master Chief and Steve? have a huge fanbase. Don't confuse the SB fanbase stuff at all with how big and popular they are. Every single character in existence have fanbases for being wanted into Smash, even memes like Shrek is still a fanbase voting. For the wrong reasons in that case, but still. The ballot was open worldwide to all, fans of a crapload of characters, including two severely popular icons. Banjo is an obscure pick compared to Steve? and Master Chief by far. They obviously did good on the ballot because a lot of people do legit want them in. They just happen to have some people against them due to this whole Nintendo bias crap that Sakurai is sick of. That's all. You shouldn't dismiss huge fanbases just because one character has more Nintendo history. It's a bad idea to claim that Banjo got more votes than them. Likewise, it's a bad and unfounded claim that they don't have fan demand. They absolutely do. Why wouldn't two of the biggest icons in gaming have little fan demand in the biggest gaming crossover of all time? Seriously, they absolutely have demand. Now, I do think Banjo has more myself, but not to a huge degree as you're implying. That's a huge leap of logic that ignores their iconic status. Every single gaming icon is going to have huge fan demand for Smash. I mean, they're icons. What'd you expect?

I see what you're trying to say is an issue and I can concede that it is possible that Steve or Chief join and Banjo doesn't make the cut, it's just that's far more unlikely than him joining with them or him joining and they don't. I mean it's also possible Goku will be the first DLC character but it's extremely unlikely just like getting Chief or Steve without Banjo is extremely unlikely. So no I don't view it as a problem to feel extremely confident that if Sakurai talks with Microsoft and comes back with Minecraft content that he is also coming back with Banjo content.
You shouldn't be confident in something that isn't able to be backed up. There's a decent claim that only Minecraft content will be in, as it's literally the only consistent crossover between Microsoft and Nintendo to date. Anything beyond that is actually up in the air. I also don't want you to be disappointed if it doesn't happen at all. You're being very overconfident here, and I even think Banjo'll be in(DLC might be the better case, but we can't really expect the ballot to decide everything either), but I'm not that overconfident enough to make a claim that's impossible to back up. All you have is the ballot. What heavy usage of Banjo has existed lately? I've already explained why your Geno comparison is a huge fallacy(as Banjo is nowhere in the same situation in any way). Like, beyond a costume, where has he been? Yes, there's fan demand, but we know for a fact that does not make a character remotely guaranteed or worth being overconfident on. Waluigi should prove that alone. He's had significantly high fan demand. Didn't help him. What makes Banjo remotely different here? Actually, he's in a worse position as Waluigi is already more iconic, but also is 1st party and easier to get ahold of without going through any hoops. How is fan demand going to seriously make Banjo some guarantee at all? You keep claiming this guarantee but there's no serious reason to believe it beyond "ballot" which we know is not going to do help all highly demanded characters, factually so.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Steve from Minecraft

This is a **** pick no matter how you slice it, a big part of Minecraft is modifying the environment (which you can't actually do in smash) and expressing yourself through skins (again, you'll have a limited set of alts so you can't do that either) also Steve just looks UGLY and Blocky. Hell I would even argue a creeper would be a better pick as a Minecraft Rep because playing that exploding green monster would be able to get away with it better than Steve.

StormC

Smash Hero
Banjo is an obscure pick compared to Steve? and Master Chief by far. They obviously did good on the ballot because a lot of people do legit want them in.
How is it obvious? Where is the data suggesting that these characters did well on the ballot? The fact that they exist and are popular doesn't really prove anything. The ballot was marketed to Nintendo fans, primarily fans of Smash Bros. You're acting like it was some crazy global phenomenon that everyone and their mothers voted in, when in reality, 1.8 million votes is really not very much at all, especially when you consider how many of those votes are double votes (to put it in perspective, there are posts regarding Smash Bros. on Tumblr with over 100k notes on it, meaning most of the votes very well could have come from the Smash Bros. fanbase).

You keep saying that we aren't certain who did well on the ballot, but then you insist that certain characters did well on the ballot just because they're well known video game icons. It doesn't make any sense. I would like to see data indicating a lot of people "legit want them in."

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
This was funny on one thread due to a little bit of a joke leaking in context. This is inappropriate here as you aren't on-topic.
Sorry to all the people who don't want Sans but he's in and he's actually an alt skin for Ness trust me on this one I'm a pro leaker

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
But I am on topic, people said they don't want Sans in Smash. I, in a hilarious and original twist of fate, regretfully inform them that he already is. It's a funny Game Theory joke/meme

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How is it obvious? Where is the data suggesting that these characters did well on the ballot? The fact that they exist and are popular doesn't really prove anything. The ballot was marketed to Nintendo fans, primarily fans of Smash Bros. You're acting like it was some crazy global phenomenon that everyone and their mothers voted in, when in reality, 1.8 million votes is really not very much at all, especially when you consider how many of those votes are double votes (to put it in perspective, there are posts regarding Smash Bros. on Tumblr with over 100k notes on it, meaning most of the votes very well could have come from the Smash Bros. fanbase).

You keep saying that we aren't certain who did well on the ballot, but then you insist that certain characters did well on the ballot just because they're well known video game icons. It doesn't make any sense. I would like to see data indicating a lot of people "legit want them in."
No, the ballot was marketed towards all gaming fans and beyond. It was not meant to only appeal to Nintendo fans. The intention was to get everyone who was interested in characters.

And it was definitely a global phenomenon. By far. It's the biggest and most popular voting system that was creating in gaming for a long time.

Where's this 1.8 million votes thing coming from?

My point stands that pretending a lot of these characters have tiny fan demand is ridiculous. Banjo's fan demand isn't any better than the general iconic 3rd party. They're iconic. Of course they're wanted for Smash. This is common sense to begin with. Smash itself is the biggest gaming crossover in history. The only people(which is few) that don't want their character in doesn't like Smash in the first place. You don't need data for stuff like this, because again, common sense. This is the reason why companies easily will say yes to having their character in Smash with very few exceptions(like the character would not fight in the case of Frisk from Undertale). It's common sense. Why wouldn't they take the publicity.

StormC

Smash Hero
No, the ballot was marketed towards all gaming fans and beyond. It was not meant to only appeal to Nintendo fans. The intention was to get everyone who was interested in characters.
Then why was it only talked about in a Nintendo Direct? Where was Microsoft tweeting "hey guys, if you want to see Steve or Master Chief, you should vote for them in the Smash Ballot!" Some companies did do this, like WayForward, but certainly not Microsoft. If anything, they only talked about Banjo.

As for 1.8 million votes: https://nintendoeverything.com/super-smash-bros-fighter-ballot-garnered-1-8-million-votes-worldwide/

My point stands that pretending a lot of these characters have tiny fan demand is ridiculous. Banjo's fan demand isn't any better than the general iconic 3rd party. They're iconic. Of course they're wanted for Smash. This is common sense to begin with. Smash itself is the biggest gaming crossover in history. The only people(which is few) that don't want their character in doesn't like Smash in the first place. You don't need data for stuff like this, because again, common sense. This is the reason why companies easily will say yes to having their character in Smash with very few exceptions(like the character would not fight in the case of Frisk from Undertale). It's common sense. Why wouldn't they take the publicity.
Then why are Master Chief and Steve very low, if nonexistent, on most ballot exit polls? The same exit polls that put K. Rool (a Donkey Kong boss who hasn't been in the mainstream since 1999) in the top 5 almost every time? The idea that these characters would suddenly have massive support from casual fans - the same casual fans who probably aren't voting over and over like the diehard Smash fans - simply has no data to back this up. If the fact that K. Rool is in doesn't indicate to you that internet polls might actually be closer to the true performance of the ballot than once thought, then there's not really any common wavelength for me on this topic.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

And it was definitely a global phenomenon. By far. It's the biggest and most popular voting system that was creating in gaming for a long time.

Where's this 1.8 million votes thing coming from?

https://nintendoeverything.com/super-smash-bros-fighter-ballot-garnered-1-8-million-votes-worldwide/
The 1.8 million votes was stated by Masahiro Sakurai himself in his Famitsu column

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
https://nintendoeverything.com/super-smash-bros-fighter-ballot-garnered-1-8-million-votes-worldwide/
The 1.8 million votes was stated by Masahiro Sakurai himself in his Famitsu column
Ah, I forgot about that.

Then why was it only talked about in a Nintendo Direct? Where was Microsoft tweeting "hey guys, if you want to see Steve or Master Chief, you should vote for them in the Smash Ballot!" Some companies did do this, like WayForward, but certainly not Microsoft. If anything, they only talked about Banjo.

As for 1.8 million votes: https://nintendoeverything.com/super-smash-bros-fighter-ballot-garnered-1-8-million-votes-worldwide/
It still got worldwide votes regardless, though a lot less than I remembered. Microsoft did not talk about Banjo, one person did who is a fan of him. Phil was definitely not speaking for Microsoft as a whole. This isn't like Wayforward, it's just one guy.

Then why are Master Chief and Steve very low, if nonexistent, on most ballot exit polls? The same exit polls that put K. Rool (a Donkey Kong boss who hasn't been in the mainstream since 1999) in the top 5 almost every time? The idea that these characters would suddenly have massive support from casual fans - the same casual fans who probably aren't voting over and over like the diehard Smash fans - simply has no data to back this up. If the fact that K. Rool is in doesn't indicate to you that internet polls might actually be closer to the true performance of the ballot than once thought, then there's not really any common wavelength for me on this topic.
I'll concede I honestly made an error in my assessment. I still say they definitely got more votes than people are accounting for. And no, the idea only Nintendo fans voted is pretty bull. The majority, yes. But people knew about it. Clearly not a severe amount of non-Nintendo fans, but let's not pretend nobody else knew about it. Smash has quite consistently gathered other systems fans due to the third parties. This is important to remember, and part of why 3rd parties are a really smart option in getting actual fans beyond Nintendo veterans. In reality, Banjo isn't that known to a lot of people and will not bring in a lot of customers alone. Most are buying the game anyway. There's a good reason other Microsoft IP's, namely relevant ones, are very likely to show up in general, as it'll properly sell the game way better than trying to focus solely on a niche 3rd party fanbase... that are still the same fanbase as before. 3rd parties are business advertisements to a degree and will always help bring in customers that aren't just the same ones over and over again. Sales require new blood to do better. Nintendo-known characters do not actually get clear sales towards customers who aren't already interested in a Switch. This is a lot more important than people think. It's no coincidence that Sonic and Snake are on the cover, it's a business practice to get far more customers than Nintendo purists, which is a big reason why 3rd parties are about gaming history, not Nintendo history.

You can't use online fanpolls as any real factor as you're looking at a tiny pool of people, not the actual legit ballot. Fanpolls are bad and do not properly indicate the ballot itself.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I would say Roy, since Binding Blade is the worst Fire Emblem game in my eyes, and he's a boring and bland protagonist, but. . .

In regards to characters that aren't actually in the game yet, though, I really don't want Rex and Pyra/Mythra. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a game with a ton of problems, and quite a number of them derive from those two. And I'm not just talking about their designs (even if those are absolutely terrible), but also their bland and shallow writing, their generic and boring romance, and just how many gameplay mechanics and abilities the game just hands exclusively to them. That aside, what would they even bring to the table? Rex swings a big sword around and has a hookshot, while Pyra/Mythra just stands around in combat and does nothing unless they're using a special. Hardly material for an interesting moveset. I have other characters I wouldn't really want in Smash, but I still would take any of them, just as long Rex and Pyra don't make it in.

Now, as for other characters. . . I'm not really too thrilled about the idea of Banjo and Kazooie making it in, for one thing. I'm aware that my reasoning is pretty shallow, but I just really dislike the general aesthetic of them and their series. Other than that, Geno is also a big meh from me.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll concede I honestly made an error in my assessment. I still say they definitely got more votes than people are accounting for. And no, the idea only Nintendo fans voted is pretty bull. The majority, yes. But people knew about it. Clearly not a severe amount of non-Nintendo fans, but let's not pretend nobody else knew about it. Smash has quite consistently gathered other systems fans due to the third parties.
I never said there were 0 and I completely agree there were probably quite a handful, but I'm pretty confident Nintendo fans, especially Smash fans, were the driving force behind the ballot.

It's no coincidence that Sonic and Snake are on the cover, it's a business practice to get far more customers than Nintendo purists, which is a big reason why 3rd parties are about gaming history, not Nintendo history.
There's never been a third party character on the cover of any Smash game though.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/186/173/928518_67606_front.jpg
http://shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/N3DS_SuperSmashBros_pkg.png
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/772/594/8d1.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfgWnn-VQAYZ0cQ.jpg

Snake and Sonic are in the back of the Brawl case, but that's it.

You can't use online fanpolls as any real factor as you're looking at a tiny pool of people, not the actual legit ballot. Fanpolls are bad and do not properly indicate the ballot itself.
Does that make K. Rool an anomaly? I mean, if we get more characters that scored highly on fan polls, will that still not convince you? Genuinely curious.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Master Chief and Steve? have a huge fanbase. Don't confuse the SB fanbase stuff at all with how big and popular they are. Every single character in existence have fanbases for being wanted into Smash, even memes like Shrek is still a fanbase voting.

But I'm talking purely in the Smash fanbase. I've already said at large they are bigger but that doesn't matter. Why do you keep bringing that up when it doesn't matter to the points I make. That's why it's easy to tell Banjo did better because it was the Smash fanbase that voted on the ballot.

You shouldn't be confident in something that isn't able to be backed up. There's a decent claim that only Minecraft content will be in
No there isn't. Just because Minecraft is what they are working on together doesn't mean Sakurai will say "oh man no reason to try and get Banjo while I'm here discussing putting Steve in Smash".
You're being very overconfident here, and I even think Banjo'll be in(DLC might be the better case, but we can't really expect the ballot to decide everything either), but I'm not that overconfident enough to make a claim that's impossible to back up. All you have is the ballot. What heavy usage of Banjo has existed lately?
None because there doesn't need to be. The whole point I'm making is that Sakurai won't approach Microsoft and not try to get Banjo in addition to the Chief or Steve. At no point have you countered with a good reason why he would flat out ignore him and not try to get him along with those two. You can call it overconfidence if you like but a better question is what reason would he have to not try to get Banjo at the same time?
I've already explained why your Geno comparison is a huge fallacy(as Banjo is nowhere in the same situation in any way). Like, beyond a costume, where has he been? Yes, there's fan demand, but we know for a fact that does not make a character remotely guaranteed or worth being overconfident on. Waluigi should prove that alone. He's had significantly high fan demand. Didn't help him. What makes Banjo remotely different here?
No, you haven't because you missed my entire point about Geno every time. The point I keep trying to make is that even with bigger popular franchises Sakurai still wanted to add Geno so there is a basis for Sakurai wanting to add a more niche from a 3rd party developer and wouldn't just ignore them because they were smaller. GENO WAS CONSIDERED SO SAKURAI WOULDN'T DISCOUNT BANJO IN NEGOTIATIONS. That's the point nothing else about Geno's situation matters. Nothing else is applicable just that. That was the only parallel I was bringing up.
[ /QUOTE]

FatNerd

Smash Apprentice
Goku:i don't know why people want's him, he's an anime character if he get in, smash will not be about the characters from videos games anymore it will be about anime and i'm against that idea,they will ask to add naruto,luffy and any other characters who are not from videos games.
Rabbids:i don't really like the rabbids they are annoying and unfunny.
Steve from minecraft: i'm not really into minecraft and i have a bad view about the game and the community

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never said there were 0 and I completely agree there were probably quite a handful, but I'm pretty confident Nintendo fans, especially Smash fans, were the driving force behind the ballot.
I kind of said that.

The back is the cover. Though fair enough on the others.

https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/box/7/1/7/194717_back.jpg They're also on the back, so it's not exactly right. But I see what you mean, though. They aren't nearly as advertised as I remembered. Though they are still a major selling point anyway.

Does that make K. Rool an anomaly? I mean, if we get more characters that scored highly on fan polls, will that still not convince you? Genuinely curious.
No, that means they clearly were ballot picks. I didn't say they don't exist. K. Rool is a ballot pick and scored highly. We know Bayonetta did too(though whether that legit influenced her getting in Smash is another story). The problem is, there's no reason to believe in fanpolls at all. The only convincing ones are those who said were fan demand. Any fanpoll should be ignored as they are not accurate in any way.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Goku:i don't know why people want's him, he's an anime character if he get in, smash will not be about the characters from videos games anymore it will be about anime and i'm against that idea,they will ask to add naruto,luffy and any other characters who are not from videos games.
Rabbids:i don't really like the rabbids they are annoying and unfunny.
Steve from minecraft: i'm not really into minecraft and i have a bad view about the game and the community
Why are you taking Goku supporters seriously? Its a joke support group. Even the Waluigi supporters are more sensible.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Okay I've seen this a few times in this thread and it's been bothering. Please stop saying "generic sword fighter". A character having a sword does not make it generic, and most of the times it's obvious that the people saying that have never played the game in question. That is all.

Firelucario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2664-2218-5783
I don't want a Grand Theft Auto Character, even if the franchise did leave an impact on the gaming scene.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Bubsy.
Bubzee.
Bob Zee.
Beau Bsy.

I really don't want any of them.

oh and also Roger Rabbit.
I'm really curious has anyone asked for Bubsy in Smash? Is there a support thread for ****in Bubsy? That's like adding Aero the Acrobat, Tak, Klonoa, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger or any other generic lame platforming "mascot". I hate the idea of Crash and Spyro joining Smash and while I find both of them pretty generic AT LEAST they aren't on the same level as the others I mentioned.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
(which you can't actually do in smash)
Not defending Minecraft here or anything, but that's not exactly true. Certain characters do modify the terrain such as Pac-Man with his Fire Hydrant and his Up B, or Villager with his Tree. They create more terrain. Now no character can actually have abilities that destroy the map's terrain, but there's more to Minecraft than just that. Steve would likely have a very unique tool/skill/moveset that doesn't revolve around destroying maps.

On topic though, my 10 would be:

1) Waluigi
2) Sora
3) Any sort of other media character such as TV/Anime/Comic/Manga/Movie/etc...
4) 3rd Party Villains(Unless Echoes)
5) Crash Bandicoot
6) Rabbids
7) Paper Mario
8) Phoenix Wright
9) Professor Layton
10) Indie Characters(Honestly, AT are fine, but they don't stand anywhere close to the current roster characters imo)

Last edited:

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice
I just don't want any super Meme choices going in... Even tho it will never happened.

aside from that I'm down for anyone.... (Fingers cross for BDee)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why are you taking Goku supporters seriously? Its a joke support group. Even the Waluigi supporters are more sensible.
Goku is an actual popular and iconic character. That's not a joke support group in any way.

Hell, every single character(that is, that did not get created purely as a meme first) have legit fans. The only real meme characters are ones like Original The Character, a parody of Shadow The Hedgehog. Obviously some suggestions are bad jokes. Goku is actually one of them who have 100% legit supporters.

Of course, I agree with the point that Smash should be about game characters too.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Rex. Everything about him is awful, his design, his character, his voices, the fact he's a bad generic shonen protag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom