• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I have seen an unfathomable amount of people supporting this idea, to which I ask, How?
I think it's just that they were inspired by the Palutena's Guidance conversation in Smash 4 where Viridi says that Chrom would just be a clone of Ike (a valid, yet hypocritical point back then), and now that echoes are in the picture, people think it would work now.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I was looking at characters that should be in smash (or all-stars missing from Smash) and a couple I hadn’t considered came up.

Peppy and Slippy are apparently considered Nintendo all-stars...? I really don’t want to see any Star Fox characters from the main crew because I just kind of find them uninteresting. Especially when Krystal still isn’t playable, and Andross makes more sense to try and do something interesting as well. So I’m actually pretty against their inclusion too.

I’m not against Captain Toad per se, but as time has gone on in this speculation cycle, I’ve just become so ambivalent to his inclusion. He’s fine and all, but I’ve just not had anything about him seem interesting to me in a while. I really don’t necessarily know why considering I used to support him more, but nowadays I’m just not that interested and find him more generic I guess...

BOTW Champions also fit the too recent, not all that interesting on their own model. They are really cool characters in my opinion, just completely underutilized and underdeveloped in the game. As a result, I just don’t particularly find their inclusion compelling. Especially given how many newcomers Zelda could pull from other places that I’m more interested in. Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Midna, and Impa are all more developed, interesting characters to me.

Zyphyris

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bri-ex
3DS FC
0001-4098-4797
Switch FC
SW-8496-2727-8390
Steve from Minecraft. I get that he's a gaming icon (even though the Creeper is arguably more popular), passes a lot of requirements to join the fray with Nintendo's all-stars, and would have a pretty interesting moveset, but he'd feel really off standing next to the other fighters. I know visuals aren't everything and they shouldn't hinder a character's inclusion but I do like having visual cohesion and Steve would sort of break that. If he gets in, he gets in. He'll look really off but I'll try not to mind it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
King K.Rool, because other DKC characters should be prioritised.

Also Rayman and Crash Bandicoot. While they might be interesting on their own, we already have guest fighters from 2D and 3D platformers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Chrom (As an echo of Ike)

I have seen an unfathomable amount of people supporting this idea, to which I ask, How?

Echo's like Lucina and Dark Pit are meant to be very minor alterations to their base character. They share fairly similar height, attack power and knockback and the exact same weight and launch direction. Even the Melee clones wouldn't be considered echos because of different stats and attack powers.

So first things first. Chrom's Falchion is NOT Ike's Ragnell. Falchion is one handed rapier while Ragnell is a 2 handed claymore. It would look exremely odd if Chrom's sword, which is the same as Marth's and especially Lucina's to suddenly look longer in game and do ludicrously more damage. Ragnell also has power over blue flames as seen in Erruption, Falchion does not. The point here is that Chrom couldn't naturally do Ike's moves.

Finally, it doesn't make sense thematically. Chrom is a descendent of Hero King Marth. Marth's fighting style is passed on through the generations and is seen in Lucina. And who taught Lucina how to fight like Marth? Her father. So why on God's green Earth, would Chrom not use the fighting style of his family and the daughter that he taught, in favor of swordplay used by a mercenary from a foreign continent that he never even knew.

Thematically Chrom would best serve as an alternate costume to Lucina.

Now if we want a more thematically appropriate echo of Ike, its the Black Knight. Not only did the two learn swordplay from the same teacher. But the Black Knight's sword, Alondite, is the twin sister of Ike's Ragnell complete with blue flames. Plus it would be cool to see an FE villain rather than another hero.
The crux of this can be explained pretty easily: Chrom and Lucina canonically fight much closer to Ike's style than Marth's.

Lucina's Parallel Falchion was actually severely downsized in order to maintain Marth's hitboxes. Using Ragnell as a base wouldn't necessitate it to be significantly shrunk. And further, literally all of Ike's current moves fit Chrom very well with only a few that are stretches (second hit of the jab combo and a few throw animations), but even those few that don't fit exactly make more sense than Alph using the Hocotate Ship or several Koopalings being squashed to half their height.

And for the record, Chrom wields Falchion as both a one handed and two handed blade, alternating between the two, just as Ike does with Ragnell.

As for Eruption? Make the flames white to reference Naga's flames, and name the move Awakening. Done. Now it references when Chrom was bathed in Naga's flames to power up Falchion.
If anything, I would like to see a playable VILLAIN from this series. It would be cool to see Gharnef playable, just as an example.
I mean, Gharnef's entire gimmick is that Imhullu's Magic means nothing except Starlight can so much as scratch him. Like, it's a huge plot point that's the crux of what makes him unique. Not sure he'd work in Smash. :p

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
King K.Rool, because other DKC characters should be prioritised.

Also Rayman and Crash Bandicoot. While they might be interesting on their own, we already have guest fighters from 2D and 3D platformers.
Isn’t that DKC character? Since you know, there’s only Dixie Kong left of the DKC games that has any impact or likability. I’ll give you she deserves in big time, but so does King K Rool as he is the only other main stay of the DKC games.

Unless you’re referring to Cranky and Funky I guess... but I really don’t see how they get prioritized over King K Rool (Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see DK become the new Fire Emblem with like 6 playable characters, just genuinely curious as to why anyone other than Dixie Kong has priority at this point)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Isn’t that DKC character? Since you know, there’s only Dixie Kong left of the DKC games that has any impact or likability. I’ll give you she deserves in big time, but so does King K Rool as he is the only other main stay of the DKC games.

Unless you’re referring to Cranky and Funky I guess... but I really don’t see how they get prioritized over King K Rool (Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see DK become the new Fire Emblem with like 6 playable characters, just genuinely curious as to why anyone other than Dixie Kong has priority at this point)
Uh, because they are still around?

I mean, I'm biased, I hate K.Rool, but I don't see DKC getting more then one character, and even if it did, I prefer them all being from recent games.

SmushBoy

Smash Rookie
Crash Bandicoot.

1. The Bandicoot games are some of the worst plattformers in history.
2. He's annoying af.
3. WOAH!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Heihachi. Just... no. We have one PlayStation character too many in Smash. At least pick a third party character with more connections to Nintendo.
Sora. No. I don't want any Kingdom Hearts representation in Smash.
Llyod Irving. I'd take Issac over him any day.
Ninten. I don't understand the appeal of a character who'd be a Ness clone. Earthbound is already well represented.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I actually wouldn't mind Ashley in Smash now. Her reaction to hits could easily be just having swirly eyes or typically closed tightly. A character I realized I don't want in Smash is Porky. He's a depressing villain to where, I would even feel extremely negative playing as him. He's actually even more villainous than Giegue. I dislike this character. I don't want to play as him. Eww.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Master Chief
Rabbids
Steve
Sora
Rayman
Shadow
Lycanroc

I actually wouldn't mind Ashley in Smash now. Her reaction to hits could easily be just having swirly eyes or typically closed tightly. A character I realized I don't want in Smash is Porky. He's a depressing villain to where, I would even feel extremely negative playing as him. He's actually even more villainous than Giegue. I dislike this character. I don't want to play as him. Eww.
I think he would work better as a boss. I see where you’re coming from. He’s just so evil it’s sad. Masked Man would be a better choice, but he’s pretty depressing as well.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was looking at characters that should be in smash (or all-stars missing from Smash) and a couple I hadn’t considered came up.

Peppy and Slippy are apparently considered Nintendo all-stars...? I really don’t want to see any Star Fox characters from the main crew because I just kind of find them uninteresting. Especially when Krystal still isn’t playable, and Andross makes more sense to try and do something interesting as well. So I’m actually pretty against their inclusion too.

I’m not against Captain Toad per se, but as time has gone on in this speculation cycle, I’ve just become so ambivalent to his inclusion. He’s fine and all, but I’ve just not had anything about him seem interesting to me in a while. I really don’t necessarily know why considering I used to support him more, but nowadays I’m just not that interested and find him more generic I guess...

BOTW Champions also fit the too recent, not all that interesting on their own model. They are really cool characters in my opinion, just completely underutilized and underdeveloped in the game. As a result, I just don’t particularly find their inclusion compelling. Especially given how many newcomers Zelda could pull from other places that I’m more interested in. Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Midna, and Impa are all more developed, interesting characters to me.
If people want Bandana Dee to fill out the Kirby crew from Return to Dreamland, I don't see why people couldn't want Peppy and Slippy to fill out the Starfox crew

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think he would work better as a boss. I see where you’re coming from. He’s just so evil it’s sad. Masked Man would be a better choice, but he’s pretty depressing as well.
I don't know. I'm probably biased. I think Masked Man would be a fun addition just from design. Also, Masked Man is unwillingly a villain ultimately so I feel like there's that one positive balance around him.

Even Skull Kid has that positive balance where's Porky is just, he's ** up.

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
Steve from Minecraft, I just never liked his design and I can't imagine him looking that great animation-wise. I wouldn't mind a Minecraft stage though. Heihachi would be underwhelming for me too because I think Ryu already has the "guy in gi from another fighting series" base covered. I'd rather have KOS-MOS or Klonoa as second Namco reps.

D

Deleted member

With a game targeting such broad demographics, it's hard to not have characters that aren't of interest make it into the game. Being in smash isn't the end all be all of being a good and relevant character anyway. Nor should it be, but people make way too big of a deal of the roster in smash. I don't think every series has to be perfectly rep or that every character has to be a huge icon or whatever.

With that being said, here's some inclusions that'd actually annoy me to some degree.

Franchises already in that are good on characters:

Another FE rep: But the amount of Fire Emblem sword characters is pretty ridiculous. I understand it's mostly from clones, but still man, you only need so many. Most lords in fire emblem are pretty samey for a reason outside of the context of their own games. It'd be like including a ton of takes on Link or Mario when all you really need is one or two semi clones/echoes and that's it.

And very rarely do I ever consider that a character is replacing another character's slot. I think that's silly. However, the amount of Fire Emblem sword characters is so ridiculous that it legitimately hampers the popularity of literally any character who uses a sword. Regardless of how much they even use a sword or how they use it. I'd say to just add a mage FE rep, but honestly, at this point, I think this series is good and if you were to do even that I could see complaining about too many mage type characters all of the sudden.

Black Knight would have been cool at least as an Ike clone of sorts, but oh well. At this point I'd rather see him as an assist or even boss.

Another pokemon rep: I feel as though pokemon's roster is perfectly fine as is, especially with pokemon trainer back. And heck, I didn't really care for Greninja's or Lucario's inclusion beforehand. But at least those I feel made more sense given their following and the pokemon's designs making for an easy character to implement in smash. But the gen 7 pokemon? Eh, I don't really see or really want any of them to make the cut. And I like gen 7. Don't think that Decidueye or Incineroar are fit for smash.

Another Kirby rep: Bandana Dee would be fine but other than that? I feel like most potential Kirby reps would be much cooler to see as bosses in smash due to their shear power and flashiness. Like Galacta Knight for instance.

Xenoblade: I just have a big disinterest when it comes to this series of games for some reason. Shulk's fine though, but anyone beyond that, eh.

Specific newcomers:

Chorus Kids: Something tells me they'd be annoying.

Sans: Just no. Wouldn't even want him in as a secondary role.

Rayman: Never got the hype behind him.

Fortnite person: LMAO

Steve from Minecraft: LMFAO

grizby2

Smash Lord
before smash 4 got released, it was villager, duck hunt, and mii fighters. wii fit trainers was the icing on the cake... I was positive they wouldn't happen, I swear I had the biggest headache when dr. mario, duck hunt and dark pit were leaked.... UHHG

1. I don't want to see any more Mario reps EXCEPT for Geno (he's... special)
2. no more fire emblem reps. good lord I thought it was over and done with when ike was put in, but JEEZ that **** spread like MOLD didn't it?
3. no more pokemon reps.
4. steve from minecraft
5. master chief
6. kratos
7. tingle/groose
8. any non video game character
9. any FNAF character
10. rabbids

11. chorus kids. im sorry, but I never really understood them that well. they look cute and simple aesthetically, but if their combat is truly based on rhythm, wouldn't that make them extremely predictable? especially seeing how much more fast-paced smash 5 looks to be (unless its just cosmetic)? also that's three separate models to animate, I would NOT want that job. I feel that if they got in, it would please the eastern crowd a lot, and sakurai would have to add a favorite character among western fans just to compensate. HOWEVER, they are a lesser evil in the list of my least desired reps. so if they get confirmed (definitely possible given their past and hidden data in brawl I believe), then I can stomach it!

Basty

Smash Ace
Not many, but I can name SOME

-Tibby
Terrible design compared to Chorus Kids/Marshal and Karate Joe
-Isabelle
Never liked her, kind of generic and boring
-Incineroar
Gen 7 sucked tbh, personally don't wanna see it represented
-Spring Man
ARMS also wasn't very good, plus Ribbon Girl is way more unique

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm generally neutral at worst towards anyone who gets in nowadays, but I would really ****ing hate it if, out of the blue, we suddenly get Lightning as our second Square Enix character. FFXIII is one of the worst games I've ever played and Lightning is a character that I greatly dislike, so to see her playable in Smash would make me want to vomit. Noctis is another character that I don't want simply because he just screams blatant advertising, but I don't dislike him as much as I would hate the possibility of Lightning happening.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just going to duck out of this thread because I don't want to get pissed at a few choices, but here goes;

Besides obvious issues, like Goku, my Least Wanted characters list starts with Sora from "Kingdom Hearts" due to the fact that I feel it would open the doors (no pun intended) for Disney characters to appear, and then giving Goku supporters more fire in their justification in putting him in, which in turn, would lead to any yahoo requesting dumbass choices like Rick & Morty (which I had a nightmare about a few weeks ago), Darth Vader, or Batman. I don't like sounding old timey about things, but this is supposed to be a celebration of video games, not a celebration of popular culture. Especially things that are likely going to be flash in the pan.

Very close second is Phoenix Wright. I might be the only hater of Ace Attorney, and that's largely due to me going from not understanding the point of the series to realizing just how stupid it is and how all-over-the-place it became. Like, I can get every major antagonist being a prosecutor given the Japanese court system, but the settings and the characters just become so godawful, I just can't deal with that franchise. Hell, Phoenix is my punching bag in UMvC 3.

Third would have been Krystal, but she's an AT, so whatever.

Prior to Ultimate's Everyone Is Here announcement, fourth would have been Pichu, but I'll live with it.

Fifth on this list is anyone from Kid Icarus not named Medusa. I largely attribute it to me not liking Uprising at all, but I believe you should give priority to Medusa before you give others an opportunity just because.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
More FE reps. I am sorry but we have enough.

Crash and Spyro - The sony fan in me will be sad cuz R.I.P PSABR

Heiachi - Was also in PSABR. Would be strange seeing him again.

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
Master Chief
Steve
Heihachi
Geno (too old, too insignificant)
Lightning
Rhythm Heaven characters (nothing personal against them, they just don't seem very interesting?)

SuperWiiFitTrainer64

Smash Cadet
NNID
BrianYauger
3DS FC
2251-5824-0397
Shadow
Sora
Really any other third party that's not from Rare.

I hate the design of Incineroar so him too. Pretty much anything else within reason I'm cool with

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully I won't get killed after this post:

1. Sora: I just don't like the Kingdom Hearts series despite being a fan of Disney. It's just a character that I have a bad connection with and also would maybe lead into more awkward character decisions like Mickey.

2. Phoenix/Layton: Another two series that I just can't stand. And I think they'd fit worse in Smash than Bayo and Snake do.

3. Paper Mario: Hate the idea of him being an extra character while he's nothing special. Mr. G&W is already our 2D rep. The Paper Mario series is fine but Mario as a character already gets represented way too much everywhere, I don't need a second, flat version of him in Smash while there are so many better individual characters aside from Mario.

4. Incineroar: There are so many better Pokemon. He's pretty ugly btw. Though I actually don't need or want any new Pokemon representative this time.

5. Isabelle: Come on, the best parts of AC are already used in Villagers moveset. Her character isn't very interesting and her fighting would be awkward as hell. Rather take some old nostalgic dude that's been around for a bit longer like Nook.

6. Any Fire Emblem/Kid Icarus/Mario/Pokemon rep: Yep I've seperately talked about Paper Mario and Incineroar because they are pretty popular to some regard. In addition, I've got enough of characters from these series, give new series or series like Yoshi, DK, Kirby, Xenoblade, or Zelda another chance.

7. Indie characters: No hate against indies, but there are so many more deserving characters that have done so much more. (and I hate Shantae)

8. "4th party chars": Please don't start to pollute Smash with Mickey, Goku, Shrek or else. I love seeing those characters in their own series, anime or films respectively, but them appearing in Smash would be simply disgusting in my honest opinion.

Well, sounds like pretty much though, I wouldn't riot if any of these would make the cut. Regarding all the hate that's everywhere around here these days, I think it's an important ability to still be able to be happy for others if they got their favorites in the game. I'm fine with everything and everyone we get.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Probably not gonna make enemies with this one.

Goku
Just play Dragonball FighterZ. Half the roster there are Gokus. And the game is fantastic.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much what Nauzgo Nauzgo said above. Gotta disagree with 2/3 of your Top 3 though :p

1. Elma: Rex and Pyra would have a much more interesting mechanic overall. And she seemed eh to me when I played XCX.

2. Bandana Dee: It's like if you also gave a Koopa Troopa a spear and a bandana, or a Toad a flashlight and a backpack (wait...). I can't see how people like or remotely want these over-glorified minions in Smash.

BUT, I couldn't care less, I got what I wanted, so whatever :pimp:

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I'm gonna add on Elma and Bandana too. Elma, I don't get her recent gain in popularity, don't like her generic space opera npc design and her game. As for the Dee ... he's just a Dee with a spear and I think the kirby series has just the right amount of characters and they're the most important ones, what it needs now is a boss.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Dee: as someone who doesn’t really play Kirby, he’s the equivalent of adding a Goomba with a hat to Smash. I know he’s a playable character but he’s just a generic enemy with one piece of unique clothing. At least someone like Goombella from Paper Mario had a unique personality

Captain Toad: not sure how popular he is but i have seen people who want him and I don’t get it. He can’t even jump and again he’s just a generic toad with a backpack. I mean I like the guy but he hardly deserves a slot in Smash

Shadow (or any Sonic rep): I just really really dislike Sonic and all of his friends. They’re annoying and badly designed. Sonic is enough for me as is

UserKev

Smash Champion
Gardevoir. Oh god, no. There isn't any legitimate reason why it should be playable. I don't even consider Gardevoir a Pokémon anymore. Its a hentai character now.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Anything sonic besides sonic: his series to me is so pretentious. I cringe every time i see a picture of shadow with guns. All the characters have awful designs it’s just so gross. Sonic is tolerable since he’s a gaming icon but anything else...just no.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Ridley. He's a giant, flying character. I don't get how his fans could be satisfied with a version that's neither of those.

D

Deleted member

Steve from Minecraft. I wouldn't mind if there was a Minecraft stage or if Steve was even an assist trophy, but as a playable character? Nah.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Ridley. He's a giant, flying character. I don't get how his fans could be satisfied with a version that's neither of those.
Maybe because Ridley isn't known for that and is instead famous for his completely ravenous personality, which was translated into smash perfectly.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Where to begin...

# 1 Goku - **** Goku and Dragon Ball not even a video game franchise and the anime is overated garbage at best.

2 - Shrek, mickey Mouse, or any other character that's not from a videogame

3 - Sora - Personally I'm not a fan of the series (or JRPG's in general for that matter) and while I don't think the character itself wouldn't fit into Smash I just find it hard to incorporate him and his series properly without Disney references. Adding Sora without Goofy or Donald as part of his final smash/move set would be weird. If they did add them it would be weird because they aren't videogame characters and they have no right to be in Smash Bros.

4 - Any more Fire Emblem reps. I'm a fan of the series and even I feel the series is way too over-represented. Idc if the characters are echoes or newcomers I shouldn't see as many Fire Emblem characters on the character select screen as series like Mario or Pokemon but here we are...

5 - Crash Bandicoot. Sorry he's beyond generic to me and his games are very overrated. They're mediocre 3D platformers and the only reason Crash succeeded in the 90's was due to marketing.

6 - Spyro mainly for the reasons listed above but also because even though Crash and Spyro have appeared on Nintendo consoles in the past (mainly games no one talks about or remembers fondly) the "Best" games in their series were the PlayStation trilogies. They feel more like Sony characters (same with Sora) than Nintendo ones. Cloud and Snake both of whom I think don't deserve a spot in Smash either opened up a pandora's box that should've never been opened in the 1st place.

7 - Indie Characters sorry they don't belong in Smash outside of assist trophies or regular trophies. They are nowhere near iconic/important enough to be a playable fighter.

That's basically it IMO. I'm down for most 1st party characters. The more the merrier IMO. I'd rather have more 1st party characters than 3rd parties (which I feel has hit it's limit). I mean we have Sonic, Mega Man, Bomberman (assist trophy), Simon Belmont, Pac-Man, Ryu. There's really no other 3rd party characters in my mind that are up to that level with Nintendo history than the ones we have now. Snake and Cloud are also their for some reason...the only other 3rd parties I could see MAYBE joining with a strong history with Nintendo is like Slime from Dragon Quest (meh). a yo-kai watch character (meh), or professor layton (also meh). None of those excite me but I wouldn't be opposed to them joining.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Steve from Minecraft. I wouldn't mind if there was a Minecraft stage or if Steve was even an assist trophy, but as a playable character? Nah.
I strongly agree with this because Steve would just have too much of a graphical contrast compared to everybody else, and trying to give him a new model that would fit in better would be an even worse idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom