• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters not to take to Japes

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
In your opinion what characters would you not CP Japes against? And why?

IMO it would be:
Kirby-Dair spikes, easy to avoid your camping, if he gets your lasers...beware
G&W-Aerial priority, Bucket, a G&W Dtilt can sometimes spike you if you're under the platform
Peach- Floating, aerials
ROB- ROBs best chance at beating you is camping, and you have more to worry about falling than he does.
Lucas-aerial priority, absorbs lasers, although he gets ***** by the water.

Characters that are iffy:
Marth, ICs, Jiggs, Lucario?

Just wanted some outside opinions

Wafles

Smash Lord
I wouldn't pick Kirby, G&W, Fox, or Wolf (fast reflectors?), you can easily outcamp Peach even if she's floating, and ROB can't camp that well.

Squipy

Smash Cadet
I think I agree with most of the characters. The fact that lucas's horrible water recovery is almost a gaurenteed stock, that should be a good enough reason to CP him into Japes even with ariel priority. I would assume Lucario has trouble ledge-snapping from his awkward up-b while in the stream also, so he would be a canidate for bringing him to Japes.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
i never counter pick japes, but i think i play an odd falco. my laser game is almost non-existant but it is funny because at tourneys people respect falco's lasers so much that they still try and approach me all the time. people think falco=camp so my falco must=camp. anyway i know a real good dk in my area who i play often and he usually gets the better of me in japes. i vote dk.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
If I may. Japes is generally a pretty good stage for Lucci, (High ceiling makes us happy) but I don't think it's one we'd like to be fighting Falco on at all.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
You have Lucas for aerial priority and not Ness??????

Ness>Lucas in aerial priority if you please...

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Talon, your list is good, but I wouldn't take on Pit on Japes. He's got those arrows, reflector shield, and insane recovery. The only thing Pit doesn't have for him on that stage is that his jumps are slow which may equal easy spike depending on how aggressive you play.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Which reminds me coz the other day I took pit to japes and ended up losing coz my laser game was completely shut down, even though I did manage to get an easy stock thanks to the water. Any suggestions for a CP against pit?

J4pu

Smash Champion
So, for the chars that we don't want to take to JJapes what are our best options?
Also keep in mind JJapes has a d*mn high ceiling and therefore sorta messes with your boost smash kills, so it kinda becomes a gimp or you're in trouble stage. The high ceiling will of course give advantages against some chars that need it more than Falco, so it isn't a terrible thing.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
So, for the chars that we don't want to take to JJapes what are our best options?
Also keep in mind JJapes has a d*mn high ceiling and therefore sorta messes with your boost smash kills, so it kinda becomes a gimp or you're in trouble stage. The high ceiling will of course give advantages against some chars that need it more than Falco, so it isn't a terrible thing.
Well, for Lucario, you want to go to a place with tiny boundaries so that he can't take full advantage of his Aura Boost. Japes, as we know, has the absolute largest boundaries of any legal stage, which means Lucario can be living a LOOOONNNG time, which is very very bad for Falco, since at the cap, Lucario most likely be killing at around... I'd say probably 70-80% even with the factor of Jungle Japes' immense size. Great counterpicks for him are Corneria and Green Greens (I heard Falco does very well on the latter).

M@v

Subarashii!
just a thing about wolf and fox here; you can chain spike them both into the water, making it near impossible for wolf to come back, and quite hard for fox too. Its a bit easier for fox since he has more firefox range, and can curve his like falcos.

J4pu

Smash Champion
just a thing about wolf and fox here; you can chain spike them both into the water, making it near impossible for wolf to come back, and quite hard for fox too. Its a bit easier for fox since he has more firefox range, and can curve his like falcos.
It is a great stage for basically anyone you can chain grab actually, MK will never die from a CG > Dair spike on a normal stage, the water makes his chances smaller, same with GW and basically anyone that can normally survive after the CG.

Fox and wolf will die from the CG > Dair spike on normal stages provided you do it right, so while JJapes is still worth CP it isn't that much of a huge step up from a normal fight with them.

Top Bottom