• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Character specific strategies for Roy

Infamous

Smash Apprentice
hey can anyone tell me where i can find some vids of Masashi ???, im new here and realy want to see him play

GR81

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Ijuka
And even faster with Marth >_>
Marth's attack just knocks them forward, while Roy's attack knocks them upward and forward. Roy has more distance, but a hypotenuse is always greater than it's leg, but since the direction of the kill is where the leg ends... (simplified) Marth's attack would kill quicker. BUT, Roy's attack is easier to pull off.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
UmbreonMow said:
all I know is when I play roy I play aggressive and only use like dtilt, grabs, fair, nair, DED, odd fsmash. That seems to be enough for roy to win with proper playing. except against samus I'd say roy does goos vs pretty much everyone.

ok, not marth. but w/e.
Peach anyone?

And do a forum search for something like video site or something. I know Captain Jack had that one site a long time ago that had all these vids of japanese players. Otherwise search the hub for masashi.

Sengin

Smash Ace
woah bump....while playing against a fox, I got a pretty decent combo for when there's < 10% damage: 2 or 3 dtilts, 1 or 2 up throws and a forward smash. It racks up pretty nice damage. I'm assuming it'll work on falco too, and to CF, just to a lesser extent.

conankudo4

Smash Rookie
a good strategy is to knock the opponent into the air then ^b and then a quick slightly charged b before your opponent recovers

Nexis

Smash Apprentice
^ huh^ Usually the enemy recovers before you get the chance to.

For space animal creatures, I found upsmash works well, expecially if they dont DI. If they do, Fsmash works wonders.

Oh and remember mind games. Too important.

I only have trouble against Peach and Sheik. The peach player always dodges into me while im doing DED or fsmash, then downsmashes. So painful. And shes hard enough to combo. As for sheik, her up tilt to fair is just painful. Any good combos against her?

six

Smash Ace
Krazy said:
Try linking sex kicks with Roy vs Peach. Multi hit aerials are the only thing you can against that priority *****. Learn to catch her turnips and get rid of them fast. Nothing sucks more than laughing at a Peach for spamming turnips and you getting cocky by catching one then all of a sudden you catch a grandpa to the face. Also dash dance to wd to tilt is a good tactic to gain range on your tilts. Just remember if you now the dress is coming, stop holding down.
I stopped reading that post at the bold part.

This is nice info otherwise, keep it up! I've started playing around with roy a little for the first time since I started using advanced techs and was surprised by how much better he is than I had remembered. I like, I like =)

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Um... maybe I could give a little better advice against Peach. First of all, dash in and grab often because that will beat out a lot of priority. You NEVER want to be too close to Peach (oxymoron since it's Roy). Use fair and flare blade with spacing and DED isn't as useful in this matchup. If Peach gets to too high a percentage, whip out a quick dsmash (I call that move the Peach killer ^_^).

Hope this helps someone. I'm still refining strategies against Peach so this is the best I can do.

Agua

Smash Rookie
With those floaty characters just use Roy's reverse blazer to weaken them up good. Dodging with Roy is easy after you've played him for a while. On Fox and Falco I pretty much use Neutral-Down A,dodge, Neutral A, Neutral-DOwn A and down attempt to joggle them. They have fast attacks so try not to get caught up in there million kick. Pisses me off. Remember if they knock you off use Forward-B to gain some Horizontal space.

Zero34

Smash Lord
i hate peach so much when im playing roy. personally, her and maybe marth are my hardest matchups. but peach is up top

rebel has a good strategy. dash and JCG because it has even more priority than peach. and dsmash...risky i think. its the fastest and best because it will KO up upwards, but if it misses...wow. the lag

echoist STOP SPAMMING

Banned via Administration
Zero34 said:
i hate peach so much when im playing roy. personally, her and maybe marth are my hardest matchups. but peach is up top

rebel has a good strategy. dash and JCG because it has even more priority than peach. and dsmash...risky i think. its the fastest and best because it will KO up upwards, but if it misses...wow. the lag

echoist STOP SPAMMING
try playing samus............WAY worse than peach. Samus' CC is the biggest roy counter IN THE GAME. peach is **** hard too, 2nd hardest i think. Marth is hard, but not ridiculously hard. Some mindgames will beat marth and u can do some stuff against him (shuffled nairs link) while peach and samus just destroy roy. ganon is hard as well. also, roy, I find, seems to be the perfect weight for falco to do shine and drill combos, although DI can get u out at times, it usually means about 30-40 instant damage once your in that combo. and lasers destroy roy's game.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
Peach doesn't destroy Roy, just kind of owns. Samus is a f****** hard fight though. If the move has little knockback, you don't even bother with it. That CC does own, but at least Roy can CC back.

Anyway, Falco = fastfaller, so Roy's got dtilt > fsmash. At least.

Zero34

Smash Lord
roy also has a pretty good chain throw. not the best because his range isnt that great, but it still works

lol samus. and her projectiles just f*** roy up. i shall remember not to play with roy against peach or samus

unfortunately, i have yet to fight a good ganny or falco, but i know what falco is capable of...

*remembers bombsoldier vids*

scary stuff

Zero34 said:
roy also has a pretty good chain throw. not the best because his range isnt that great, but it still works

lol samus. and her projectiles just f*** roy up. i shall remember not to play with roy against peach or samus

unfortunately, i have yet to fight a good ganny or falco, but i know what falco is capable of...

*remembers bombsoldier vids*

scary stuff
i just got done playing a really good samus, mendoza, and got destroyed on fd (3 stocked twice, but on yoshi's story i got him down to 1 stock). I played his ganon, which was pretty good, not amazing, but pretty good, and 3-stocked it. However, I'm pretty sure he didn't know what to do against roy cuz he didn't even try to chaingrab me once, so that's not a very good example of a matchup. I'm pretty positive ganon has the upper hand in that match. As for the samus, it was gay as feck, cuz practically the only damage i could get on him was nair, grab, ded, or a mindgames fsmash. And none of those linked together in a combo in any way, so most of my kills were mindgamed fsmashes. So ya, not only does samus have CC, super priority moves, and missiles, but roy doesn't even have combos on her (unless NEO has discovered something lol). I played vidjo, a god-tier peach, and got my *** slaughtered, but that was at mlg chicago and for some reason i've gotten A LOT better since then, so I think i'd do better (but still get destroyed). I need to play a good peach again to see what combos work well. And falco is one of my hardest matchups. On one hand roy has really good combos on him and can chaingrab. On the other hand roy can get drill shined pretty easily and lasers destroy his shffl game. Generally I lose this one. However, I'm becoming more consistent w/ DIing out of it (my biggest problem). I think once I get better w/ the DI then I'll be able to either lose by 1 stock or get a narrow win (against a decent/good falco of course). Either way its fecking hard as hell.

and the chaingrab is identical to marth's btw.

Zero34

Smash Lord
i love samus' CC. i was just playing a roy user and decided just to mess with them so i held down and let him attack me. it was funny, i didnt go anywhere so then i did a dtilt and just combo'd him to death

ganny hurts roy. his aerials are just way too strong and roy's recovery isnt too great

sheik chainthrows roy like the biatch that she is...i two stocked my friend and only took like, 20% damage by the end using nothing but ftilt, dthrow, and fairs >>

and the chaingrab is identical to marth's btw.
oh. that makes sense...

Zero34 said:
i love samus' CC. i was just playing a roy user and decided just to mess with them so i held down and let him attack me. it was funny, i didnt go anywhere so then i did a dtilt and just combo'd him to death
yep, samus is a feggot

ganny hurts roy. his aerials are just way too strong and roy's recovery isnt too great
yes, ganon's aerials can destroy roy, but i think that if you mindgame a JC grab in and try doing combos out of that, then you have a MUCH better chance than just trying to beat him in the air (which you will fail at). As for roy's recover, it's actually quite good. Not as good as marth's, imo, but quite good. It's no samus, but hey, its not cfalcon's at least.

sheik chainthrows roy like the biatch that she is...i two stocked my friend and only took like, 20% damage by the end using nothing but ftilt, dthrow, and fairs >>
lol, that's all shiek does against ANY character.

Zero34

Smash Lord
falcon's recovery is not that...

forget i said that. agreed. lol. lets be glad it isnt that bad. and i like how you can adjust roy's, make it more vertical or horizontal.

i had a question, for some reason, when i try to edgehog against a roy, even though i get off the stage once the roy reaches horizontally with me, he still grabs the ledge. anyone know why?

Zero34 said:
falcon's recovery is not that...

forget i said that. agreed. lol. lets be glad it isnt that bad. and i like how you can adjust roy's, make it more vertical or horizontal.

i had a question, for some reason, when i try to edgehog against a roy, even though i get off the stage once the roy reaches horizontally with me, he still grabs the ledge. anyone know why?
for edgehog you're probably not getting up w/ L. you're probably getting up w/ just up, which pretty much instantly allows another person to grab the ledge. L makes it so that you roll up, but it still counts as if you are on the ledge, not allowing people to grab onto it.

Zero34

Smash Lord
hmmm, ill try rolling in next time

i think roy can grab the edge even when someone tries to edgehog because after he does up+b he lags his drop SLIGHTLY more than others. so you may have to hold the edge longer. not sure

but thanks 5150. do you have any tips for roy dittos? im going to a tourney soon, and there are plenty of roy users so what are some tips for dittios?

Zero34 said:
hmmm, ill try rolling in next time

i think roy can grab the edge even when someone tries to edgehog because after he does up+b he lags his drop SLIGHTLY more than others. so you may have to hold the edge longer. not sure
yes, roy and marth do have a slight delay so there is more room for error on the edgehogger's part, but that just means you need to know when to hit L, it's slightly different than say fox. because if you do it too soon they might be able to grab but if you do it too late you could get hit w/ the up+b. nothing i can do to help you besides practice.
but thanks 5150. do you have any tips for roy dittos? im going to a tourney soon, and there are plenty of roy users so what are some tips for dittios?
well..................that's a REALLY long topic. Roy dittos are like an art. but i'll try to summarize it.

Mindgames = 90% of the match
knowing what combos work (tech skill) = 10% of the match (maybe a little more but mindgames is definitely more important)

for mindgames:

1. dl ALL of the NEO vids on the hub.
2. try to be able to predict what someone is going to do and then react QUICKLY to what they do. make sure you actually KNOW what you are going to do if they do what you predict (or what you didn't predict). this is generally overlooked, but is probably the most important part of the mindgames process because what good is predicting if you don't fully capitalize on it?
3. Try to trick them into thinking you're going to do something and then do another thing. Very general but i can't summarize it any better. A good example, and something I do often (that i learned from NEO vids), is to run at them so they expect you to shffl a fair or whatnot at them, but then run past them, cancel your dash, and then do a (reversed) fsmash at them. Works like a charm. But MIX IT UP, or then your opponent will start to predict you.

for tech skill:

1. dl ALL of the NEO vids on the hub.
2. read the guide on roy and general combos
3. practice against a lvl 1 roy in bonus mode (anything but stock really) w/ no time limit on fd. mess around w/ different combos (both listed in the guide and not listed) and at what percents they work. MEMORIZE THOSE COMBOS AND WHEN THEY WORK AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...........WHEN TO DO WHAT. it is foolish at around 150% to try and do combos when all you need is a fsmash to kill (so therefore you would try to mindgames a fsmash in).
4. make sure your tech skill is as good as it can get. make sure all of your l-cancels work, EVEN WITH SHIELD HIT LAG.

I think that's it.....

oh, for edgeguarding, don't use the flare blade......never works unless facing a n00b. use counter or edgehog (or mindgames in fsmash by waiting for them to get up off the ledge)

that pretty much covers it.

Zero34

Smash Lord
you know way too much about roy <<

that dash past mindgame is SICK. i gotta try that out. and ill work in some empty shuffles too

wow, i got a lot of mindgame skills to work on

and im a noob at the hub. do you know anywhere else i can get it? all that ive seen of neo is his roy ditto match vs ken which of course, was insane.

Zero34 said:
you know way too much about roy <<

that dash past mindgame is SICK. i gotta try that out. and ill work in some empty shuffles too

wow, i got a lot of mindgame skills to work on

and im a noob at the hub. do you know anywhere else i can get it? all that ive seen of neo is his roy ditto match vs ken which of course, was insane.
thx.

um, i dont think neo's vids are anywhere else but the hub, besides his dittos against ken. but there are 4 of them, and all of them are worth having so get all of them.

and imo, empty shffls are not EXTREMELY good w/ roy. they are good, but I generally don't do them because i could just do retreating fairs or w/e.

Zero34

Smash Lord
wow. i just watched teh chicago MLG vids of neo vs ken. neo is so friggin good!! his roy is crazy, doing that well against a fox

do you think you could host some of this other vids? i cant DC++

Zero34 said:
wow. i just watched teh chicago MLG vids of neo vs ken. neo is so friggin good!! his roy is crazy, doing that well against a fox

do you think you could host some of this other vids? i cant DC++
no, because i dont have a server lol. just learn how to do dc++, cuz you can and you just dont know how.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
???

oh, for edgeguarding, don't use the flare blade......never works unless facing a n00b. use counter or edgehog (or mindgames in fsmash by waiting for them to get up off the ledge)
What are you talking about? Flare Blade is Roy's best edgeguarding move. Part of it goes below the edge, you just don't reveal it to your opponent. Ftilt, fsmash don't do that, so if they're trying to sweet spot, it's your best bet. You just don't stand there and charge, because it's easily predictable (unless it's a mindgame).

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I breezed over the topic and let me see if I can give some advice. I'm not that good so try it out and if it doesn't work, dump the advice.

Samus:
Play patient and move slowly towards the Samus. If you're patient, they'll get bored way before you do. Plus, if you get bored, you can watch your cape move up and down as you slash away missles. Counter point-blank blaster shots. They never expect it >_>

Oh yea, do random things. That's what Roy has an advantage in, being random. DED isn't really your friend in this, more like an enemy because of CCing. Grab alot. Roy's a pervert.

Ganon:
Play defensively. Otherwise this is a straightforward battle.

General advice:
Always use Flare Blade. I've done it to people when they could easily avoid it. They get bored of it charging so slowly and they think they can beat it out. Time it right and they get a nice surprise. Obviously not against projectiles because retartadly, this move doesn't stop missles.

Play defensively.

Master DIing. It's Roy's best recovery. I've lived to unbelievable percentages (for a Roy) by just pressing the opposite direction of where I was hit. And that's sucky DIing. I'd suggest up since Roy doesn't die off the top... ever.

And I've got the most recent version of the Roy guide on my computer (outdated by awhile, like November or October). If you guys want me to post it (I'm not going to make any additions right now) just tell me. Then if somebody else proves they are capable of keeping the Roy guide updated, I'll give it to you to update.

Lord Knight said:
???

What are you talking about? Flare Blade is Roy's best edgeguarding move. Part of it goes below the edge, you just don't reveal it to your opponent. Ftilt, fsmash don't do that, so if they're trying to sweet spot, it's your best bet. You just don't stand there and charge, because it's easily predictable (unless it's a mindgame).
YOUR A FECKING IDIOT LEARN TO READ AND GO TO WWW.DICTIONARY.COM AND LEARN WHAT THE WORD CONTEXT MEANS. I WAS TALKING ABOUT EDGEGUARDING ANOTHER ROY.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I'd use Flare Blade against a Roy for edgeguarding just for the sake of using teh ph13r. Edgehog > j00.

Also, Flare Blade is very effective against Roy for edgehogging. Just try to imagine another use of flare blade besides standing there and using it.

Zero34

Smash Lord
ack, fine. 5150, i was gonna pm you back, but ive typed up a respond THREE times and my computer has frozen each time ive sent it so yeah...that suxors

DED is good against samus, use down and third to break all CCers

flare blade is great edge guard with his huge range above and below roy. but i dont think its useful against roys or marths or etc because they will hit you with their sword so you have to time it so that at least both attacks go off

oh, and 5150, i got to WATCH neo play. hes ridiculous, beating down on those top tier foxes...so amusing watching a roy beat down on foxes and sheiks lol. mind games are crazy. i have no idea how he moves so fast with roy, i just gotta work more on my DD and WDing with roy i guess

Totoro_PEACH POWER!

Smash Rookie
Trully, Samus is a pain in Roy's a** but worse than her CC I think it's Sheik's combos speed and her chains are also very killable.

It's really hard against her cause once she throws a Roy off the stage she has many aerials to finish him off and I can't see a way to avoid that!

I'd really appreciate some help against it...^________^

Totoro_PEACH POWER! said:
Trully, Samus is a pain in Roy's a** but worse than her CC I think it's Sheik's combos speed and her chains are also very killable.

It's really hard against her cause once she throws a Roy off the stage she has many aerials to finish him off and I can't see a way to avoid that!

I'd really appreciate some help against it...^________^
I played BigC's shiek this weekend and got *****....hardcore. And i was doing well in the tourney.....its just that shiek ***** roy.

1. Needels destroy shffls and dont allow for you to play defensively
2. fair destroys roy
3. outranges and outprioritizes roys aeriels
4. can chaingrab only if you DI towards her (so di away)
5. SHIEK IS A ***

Advice = get ***** then change your character

Top Bottom