• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Character specific strategies for Roy

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I want to add a section of my guide (a huge section actually O_o) that goes through all of Roy's matchups (if nothing else, just his tough matchups and/or high to top tier matchups). The problem is I don't have that much variety in my opponents here. I decided it would be best to make a discussion on the topic.

I am gonna start with Fox, because I have ran into more Fox's than practically anything else, and I know a few ways to deal with him.

Roy vs. Fox:
Roy can combo fox pretty **** well, and there are A LOT of ways to fit in a forward smash early on in a match. He can also **** fox in edgeguarding, but even though he has a lot of tricks up his sleeve against Fox, a good Fox is still hard as **** to beat. The shine is a pain in the *** and makes it hard to get grabs in because you can't shield grab effectively. Roy is also somewhat of a fast faller himself and is comboed well by Fox.

VERY EFFECTIVE COMBOS:
Down tilt > Forward Smash
This is the simplest and prolly one of the best ways to get a KO or rack up damage on Fox.

Fair > Down tilt > Forward Smash
Same as above.

Chain Up Throws > Forward Smash
I usually chain throw fox about 2-3 times and perform a forward smash. I chain throw so they will DI, and that usually makes it much easier to forward smash them.

DED combo >B ^B >B
This works wonders on fox. The second hit knocks him high enough for the third to connect. If you connect with the second hit and they are not crouch cancelling then they almost ALWAYS get hit by the third.

There really isn't much more that I can think of at the moment. I am hoping I can talk to a fox player to find out what a good fox would try to do so I can address things that you would need to watch out for.

aho43

Smash Lord
A DED combo i like to use on Fox is >B >B ^B vB. If all hits land its about 35% i think. Another strategy I use against fox is Roy's counter against fox's upB. This tends to rock both Fox and Falco.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Keep in mind Roy is very easy to shinespike, since he doesn't have much traction, so he goes flying from it, and he doesn't have much horizontal recovery. A shine on or close to the edge and an edgehog is usually enough to kill Roy.

Thankfully Roy is relatively hard to kill off the top, so he's safe against Fox's vert-kill moves (plus Roy should CC a lot anyways, which keeps him alive even longer).

You pretty much covered the best things to do against Fox, I mainly just evade as best I can and down tilt or grab when i get the opportunity.

ArC_man

Smash Ace
I think u covered it all ;)

Yea, definitely watch out for that shine... and pretty much what every char would have to worry about facing fox (u-smash, u-throw to u-air) shine combos you don't really need to worry about since roy falls down but it's probably useful to learn teching from being shined cause fox has a "semi-infinite" he can use on chars who fall down (shine, wd, neutral a, repeat... the jab forces the other char to stand up so fox can shine again, grab, smash, etc)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Yeah, they do, but Falco is NO fun for Roy at all. I consider him a Roy counter. I dunno if he officially is or not, but from what I have seen and experienced, Falco just owns up in that matchup.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I just saw that vid right now and I can honestly say that Mashashi is the best Roy player I've ever seen. Although Falco was really laying on the damage with that SHB. I know I wouldn't have had fun dealing with that >_>

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I have, but you have to realize that Masashi is prolly the best Roy player on the planet :-P. That and he prolly has played against Taizo's Falco a good bit.

VilNess

Smash Champion
As far as I´ve experienced once you learn powershielding Falcos lasers you have at least significantly reduced one of his advantages.
And really. PS`ing SHL`s really isn´t that hard if you just give it some and some more practise.
Of course laser spikes is another thing on its own :( ...

ST-Hunter

Smash Rookie
Correct me if i'm wrong, but at about 100% or so, >B ^B vB >B works pretty well on fox and falco:).

Against Samus. Her missiles aren't threat to you if you neutral A or over B them. The real proble is that Samus is the best f****** CCC character ever, so she kills Roy's grounds game and shffls wich destroys your strategy complety. What I tend to do against that is upthow her and DED or shffl na/fa/ba at low percentages. When reentering the stage you're pretty much srewed even if you sweetspot the edge. It's easy to counter a dash a happy Samus so go ahead.

Oh yeah! If you're close to her and you know the player will fire a missile or a charged shot, counter it. It kills Samus at 50% charged shot and 90-100% missiles:chuckle:. That'll make them think twice about fireing to much projectiles at you.

Sheik. It's a really hard match up, to me anyways. If you get out of stage at over 50% you're pretty much dead, sheik's needles and f-air guaranties it. Plus her tilts and throws really put the hurt on you. So yeah, i'd suggest you play semi-defensive, defensive here because two-three mistakes = death. dtilt to fsmash works good here, and against dash a happy sheik, shffled na works very well and at low % try to cc it and the tilts if possible(not to sure on that). And stay center stage. She's a fast faller so don't lose hope. But you'd better pray your a** of:p

Link. The boomerang can be na/>b countered but i don't think the arrow can. Beware the bombs. Don't forget he's a swordsman and he's got range. he's heavy, so do your worst. One more thing: IF YOU DON'T SWEETSPOT THE LEDGE, YOU'RE DEAD. nuff sais:p

Well, that's the advice I learned from fighting all of the above. Might post later for some Falcon strategies.

Now excuse me while I return to sensless killing a acts of barbarism against Xbox:p

Shadows

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by ST-Hunter
Correct me if i'm wrong, but at about 100% or so, >B ^B vB >B works pretty well on fox and falco:).
Correct/Wrong, I think.

Falco : 80% or 120%
Fox: 100%

Not Too sure; Falcon is included, but I forgot the Percentage, I think its the same as Falco's...

ArC_man

Smash Ace
I'm think it depends on how many times vB hits fox/falco

max hits at such a high percent will probably knock them away, max hits at a lower percent will probably put them at a good position to be hit with the 4th hit

they probably can DI away at any percent, meh >_>

ST-Hunter

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by Shadows
Correct/Wrong, I think.

Falco : 80% or 120%
Fox: 100%

Not Too sure; Falcon is included, but I forgot the Percentage, I think its the same as Falco's...
Thanks, I needed to know, for Falco, wasn't to sure.

Originally posted by ArC_man
I'm think it depends on how many times vB hits fox/falco

max hits at such a high percent will probably knock them away, max hits at a lower percent will probably put them at a good position to be hit with the 4th hit

they probably can DI away at any percent, meh >_>
Yeah, i know, that's why I don't use it often.

Hey guys, feel free to point out other strats for Samus Shiek and such, Because even though I win decently againts some, I fear they're not pros, and I won't be entering a tourney anytime soon

Anything V.S. Falcon, Zelda and Peach? They're kind of annoying.

Sengin

Smash Ace
A thing to note against Samus is that by crouching, you can safely duck under her missles (run, duck, run, etc...). I've found it to be pretty effective as there is no danger of missing a counter/power shield/side step/DED/A/etc. If the Samus uses a homing missle, it's another story, but they move slower, so you should be able to see it coming and DED/side step/jump/etc...

For floaty charatcters (marth, etc.), down or back throw near the edge is a good set-up for a possible DED spike. Your opponent may meteor cancel, so never end with the thrid hit. Sometimes the fourth will hit, and since they've used their mid-air jump, they most likely won't be able to get back to the stage. Also, if you're at a low percentage, you won't be hit with much knockback from their up-B if they use that to make it back, plus they probably won't sweetspot the ledge (as seeing how you have to meteor cancel at a certain point, depending on damage/strength of hit/etc.), leaving them open if their up-B has a lot of end lag (like Marth).

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Hey, MookieRah, can you do Marth vs. Roy next? I've been having alot of trouble with this match-up. My friend who plays Marth's is able to kill me by just doing a forward and back throw and then fsmash. He doesn't shff'l aerials yet though so he sucks with Marth. Just that godly fsmash is a real pain. Half the time he just gets lucky and gets a tipper. Any advice?

ArC_man

Smash Ace
Learn to tech the throw 100% of the time....

There're so many things you can do against a f-smash happy marth (in general). You can bait the smash and counter (with dashdance, wavedash, etc). Or run towards him, shield the smash, wd/jump from shield and attack. Or just roll through the smash if you kno he's gonna do it.

Stuut

Smash Rookie
Teching is the best thing of course, else I would DI to him, youll still get hit but no tipper.

If he really smams fsmash there are 2 things you can do: counter works the best if he gets really predictable or if your mind games r very good. And the only effective way to punish a failed fsmash is reverse blazer.
My friend plays marth and I usually combo him with alot of shffld nairs. Try to use this on FD: nair-nair-nair-fsmash-edgeguard(airB/downB/reverse upB), it usually kills. U won't need edgeguard if the fsmash is sweetspotted.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Wouldn't the reverse blazer be useless against Marth? It does hardly any damage and if you want to send him in the air I'd just use dtilt. Works a lot better. Although I've been working on dashdancing so maybe that will help me. Thanks for the advice.

Stuut

Smash Rookie
hmm I use reverse blazer becus I own PAL (lighter marth) and it kills on high percents. Dtilt mite be the best option in your version

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
if you're wondering why this is stickey'd, its cause im going through and stickying the better faq/general strategy topics in the character rooms for convenience.

aho43

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Stuut
hmm I use reverse blazer becus I own PAL (lighter marth) and it kills on high percents. Dtilt mite be the best option in your version
Reverse blazer is a move that sends the same distance regardless of percent. The only way to kill someone with it is if the send height of the move is greater than the distance between them and the ceiling of the stage.

Originally posted by Stuut
And the only effective way to punish a failed fsmash is reverse blazer.
Roy's fsmash is a much better option. A wiffed forward smash by marth leaves him completely vulnerable to any attack you want.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Hey, MookieRah, can you do Marth vs. Roy next? I've been having alot of trouble with this match-up. My friend who plays Marth's is able to kill me by just doing a forward and back throw and then fsmash. He doesn't shff'l aerials yet though so he sucks with Marth. Just that godly fsmash is a real pain. Half the time he just gets lucky and gets a tipper. Any advice?
Roy actually has a pretty good game against Marth, or at least to me it seems so (I am pretty sure Neo is gonna run in here and smack me for saying that). I like it when someone switches to Marth to counter my Roy, cause it makes me feel that much better *if* I beat them. After I had the experience of playing Neo, watching him in action, and finally stopped being such a pansy with f-smash (I used to use it on rare occasion cause I was afraid I would get punished) I started doing really well against Marths.

Enough of that though, here are things that I do when I am up against a Marth:

I usually start the match by going for a grab and forward throw. If I pull off the f-throw I run and catch them again. If they tech the ground I will run after them and F-smash. If you catch them with the smash while they are still in the roll then it's a freebie, but if not they will prolly shield. Be careful

FOLLOW TECHS. Like I said earlier, it could lead to a free F-smash. If they tend to shield then go for a grab instead. If they catch on to that run past them and smash. Even if they are really smart in their play it would be really hard for them to go unpinished every time. Also, watch for people who tech to standing. It's fun to just throw out a f-smash slightly after they land and hit them all the time.

DED. DED does well on Marth, that is when he isn't crouch cancelling. Fish with it a few times (run in and do a single DED) and get them in a combo if they didn't CC or shield it. Also make sure to smash and grab enough that they don't rely on CCing all the time. Learn the range of this attack well. A lot of times I catch my opponent directly above me and it stunts their aerial attack. If Marth misses a fair pull this out quick, cause you can't CC in the air ^_^. For Marth just use the > > > combo, it's usually the best and easiest against him on almost any situation.

PUNISH HIS F-SMASH. I don't know why, but A LOT of people don't do this simple trick, and I love it cause I don't get punished for my f-smashes when I should. Anyways, if you shield Marth's f-smash simply wavedash from the shield and grab. It's completely free and REALLY easy to do with practice. I learned how to do this from playing uber CC C-sticking whores that play me at ICC, so if you know of anyone like that it's a good way to learn this strat cause they tend to play a swordsman and throw out F-smashes left and right :-P. This trick works against pretty much every character too, it has helped me out tons, and it's so gratifying.

DON'T LET HIM GET AWAY. Keep the pressure on the ***** as much as you can. Know this, Marth's F-smash may be badass at the tip, but since It sucks when it's not tipped then that gives Roy a good advantage. You can safely pull out the F-smash more often than Marth cause it's not hard to hit with the sweetspot. Also, know that the sweetspot on the sword is HUGE. The max range of the sweetspot isn't too far from the tip either, just watch some vids of Masashi to see what I am talking about. I kinda rambled on in this part, but just try to stay inside his sword as much as possible when you are on the offensive. Make sure to cover your *** on retreats too, cause a lot of times I will run and get tipped.

WATCH OUT FOR JUGGLES. Let's face it... fairs hurt pretty much every char, and it's worse on Roy than it is for a lot of other characters. Roy can be faired off the stage and spiked with ease it seems (not saying it's easy for the Marth, but I would *guess* that Roy is one of the easiest characters to get caught up in it). It's pretty devastating (and somewhat gay) to be leading a match and get slaughtered by this for a few stocks >_<.

DON'T BE PREDICTABLE. If all you do is run past people and smash, run to people and smash, run to people and grab, it's not too hard to figure out what you are gonna do next. Mixing up your strategies and not playing purely by instinct is pretty hard and will help out your play greatly, not just against Marth.

Actually, all of these tips will pretty much work against any other character and with a lot of other characters.

I can't say this kind of play will work on every marth out there, but so far I have decimated many tourny level Marths like this. From my experience if the Marth player doesn't pull off crazy fair stuff all the time then you pretty much have it in the bag.

Zarelid

Smash Lord
well space animals can be ***** by Roys grab, and roy can grab VERY easyly against em, like forward air to grabs neutrel airs to grab then up throw forward smash. also when they recover and go for sweet spot I jump down and counter. it's iight but combos like down air to forward smash up air, combos own too sorta.....yeah I'm not a Roy pro but thats what I do. I don't chain grab though =( Roys good enough without it I say.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Actually, depending on the percentage of course, pretty much all of Roy's aerials can combo to a forward smash on the space animals. There aren't that many chances to actually hit with any of them, but if you do land one it definitely helps. Grabs also aren't incredibly easy to pull off either, because the shines pretty much defends against shield grabbing. That is why when I do grab I go for a chain if they are at low percent and if possible land a f smash, and if not an uptilt or something.

The thing is, you need everything you can get when it comes to a match with a space animal with every character, and especially against Falco if you are Roy. You can definitely beat them without some of those techniques, but why limit yourself? None of them are really hard to do or anything :-P.

Zarelid

Smash Lord
I didn't really say shield grab I said forward air to grab =/ but whatever, anyways yeah your right why limit yourself but when you do it people tend to go; "your so cheap with Roy the only reason you won is because of chain grabing" and **** like that heh.
also if space animals don't tech and you dash at them they tend to roll away and thats perfect for dash attacking! dash attacking with Roy screws them. also up Bing out of shield works somewhat too, I know it seems noobish but it can screw them over pretty well.

but my question is how the eff does Roy beat Peach or Samus with their gay *** CCing! I have more problems with Samus then Peach, all I can think of with Roy is forward air to counter because Samus ALWAYS down smash after CCing the forward air. I know counter seems noobish but thats all I can think of, but getting through the bombs with Samus wtf!? how?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Well, people don't have the right to claim that chain grabbing with Roy is "cheap" because it's pretty **** hard to do, at least for more than 2 or 3 throws. Also, I only chain throw them till they DI to where I can attempt a forward smash ^_^.

Dash attack is effective on the space animals. If they don't DI you can actually juggle them with it to a KO, but even n00bs wouldn't allow that to happen. At higher percents it can work like a downtilt and lead into a forward smash. The wind down lag is pretty long though, so I advise to use it sparingly.

As for Peach and Samus, they are pretty rough on Roy. Neither of them KO easily, and they are both so light that you can't really combo them well. My experience on these matchups aren't what I want them to be, but so far the only thing I can suggest is to learn how to powershield Samus's missiles and try to play a more grounded game. If they CC a lot try to throw out more grabs and smashes. If you are up against Peach, try your best not to downtilt much, cause most Peaches love to ***** out her broken downsmash :-P.

Zarelid

Smash Lord
thats what I said!!! but also CCing ****s Roy over I say, I mean like forward air then it's CC down smash down air n-air etc... so thats why after a air attack I usually just counter =/ it works sometimes, and gets them completely off you. plus agaisnt Samus and Peach you can down throw and forward smash, that works well against em.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
CCing is one of Roy's biggest problems with any character. I used to have A TON of trouble when people started CCing like crazy. It is something that you overcome though, cause I don't have much trouble with it anymore. Like I said, smashes and grabs really screw over CCing, usually enough to make them not do it as much, which allows you to throw in some DED later.

As for your fair to counter, I really like it. I will prolly try that out if I remember to the next time I run in to a rabid CCer.

I wouldn't call counter n00bish. If you are willing to take a risk and predict your opponent and it works it could turn the tide of the match. It's probably the hardest thing to master, because it's mastery over your opponent, not your own character. N00bs use it because even a n00b can predict a n00b, so they can throw it out a good bit and make use of it. I have seen Masashi use counter in neat ways. He is used to running into a laggy move and countering it. I have done something similar to that in the past a few times, I play a Mario a lot, and I love to counter his dair because it lasts so long. He also likes to recover from the ledge with counter, which is something I am learning to incorporate it.

I think counter has a lot more applications than people give it credit for. My friend Ben plays Marth a lot. He really isn't all that good, but I can't combo him for crap, because he knows when to counter and it breaks my chain of attacks. I have played many Marths, a lot of them much better than him, but none of them can break my combos like he does. I am still trying to get used to doing it whenever someone has caught me in a combo, but I am sure if Marth can use it as a combo breaker, Roy can too, and not only would it break the combo, it will prolly anihilate your opponent.

D

Deleted member

alright jay I got a problem. How the eff does roy deal with falco's chain throw. I'm having quite the problem with it.

And Peach isn't so bad, just dtilt and outrange her. She doesn't have any good forward hits and you can shieldgrab her dash attack.

Zelda is alright as well. Try shuffle fairs and shuffle upair chains. But be very wary of forward smash.

Krazy

Smash Journeyman
Try linking sex kicks with Roy vs Peach. Multi hit aerials are the only thing you can against that priority *****. Learn to catch her turnips and get rid of them fast. Nothing sucks more than laughing at a Peach for spamming turnips and you getting cocky by catching one then all of a sudden you catch a grandpa to the face. Also dash dance to wd to tilt is a good tactic to gain range on your tilts. Just remember if you now the dress is coming, stop holding down.

D

Deleted member

all I know is when I play roy I play aggressive and only use like dtilt, grabs, fair, nair, DED, odd fsmash. That seems to be enough for roy to win with proper playing. except against samus I'd say roy does goos vs pretty much everyone.

ok, not marth. but w/e.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Originally posted by meepxzero
ya im starting to prefer roy over marth now if u time that forward smash at the right spot u can kill almost anyone really quickly. :D
And even faster with Marth >_>

Top Bottom