• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Character specific strategies for Roy

DaveOSmasher

Smash Rookie
Can guys help me out?

Hey i just saw the masashi vs taizo video. They are both awesome! they exactly what to do on every moment and how to block or dodge eah atacko.O. I wish i play like them someday^^.

Anyway, me and my friends have started playing smash bros melee again and we meet a lot to play. I just cant beat one of my friends, wich two best characters are ness and dr.mario , specially dr.mario. Ive tried to study and look carefully at hte way he plays, but i cant get a strategy against him.

With dr. mario , he starts using b all the time, so i cant get near,oh i forgot to tell you, my main char is roy, thats why i cant get near him. what i tried to do is jump over the thinguies he throws with b and atack but roy isnt a very good air fighter at all:(. If i block the capsule, the next one just hits me.
And even if i get near him hes a really good fighter in close distance

I havent fought many times against him playing as ness but he uses a lot of up b atacks and dodging and grabing.

These past days ive been trying to get better with falco, so i could fire him when he uses dr. mario, but if u have any solutions for my roy tell me plz:)

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace
if ur Roy all need to do is pick up ur speed to pick up ur speed u have 2 shuffl real quik n make sure u master it once you got that down u have to practice on a moving target so you go to training mode pick a fast character like Falco Fox Pichu or Falcan and set them to evade they'll run from you but if you master the shuffle than you'll be able to catch them no prob trust me it works cuz i played a falco user and was able to beat him and a fox user who knows the shine but this is definatly good to help you fight faster people

DaveOSmasher

Smash Rookie
Hey thx for the help but i dont get what you mean with shuffle. Do you mean using the shield and dodging all the time and chasing lol¿

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Roy is one of those characters that need to shffle if you even think about using him..
He can own Fox but A skilled Fox player Could shine you to your death. Falco is just a pain.. SHLing like crazy...Shffling Dair All of the time.....
When FIghting Falco Your main goal is keeping him at bay, Sweet Spoting Him while in the center of the stage then tip him With Flare blade When coming back since it actually has more knockback to it.
WHen im fighting one of my friends who uses falco He SHL like crazy. Dodge rolling is actually handy in this certain point. YOU need to Abuse You DED ->B, ->B, ->B Since Knocking falco Futher off the stage is important since he has Not so great recovery moves...
I still Can't Dodge the egde Guarding Dair While COming back to the stage so if anyone has tips about that please let me know.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Patriotic Zero, your wrong on several points.

YOU need to Abuse You DED ->B, ->B, ->B Since Knocking falco further off the stage is important since he has Not so great recovery moves...
first of, 3 side >Bs aren't a good idea. he probably won't go of the edge, and if so not far. once at that point, he can pillar and shorthop lazers till' your dead. when your near the edge, try either >B^B^B or >B>B^B. once he meteor cancels, pres down B. if you want you can add a fourth ^B. when in the middle, try racking damage with either
>B^B^BvB or >B>B^BvB. also, if you think falco has bad recovery, you've never seen a good falco. again, try countering his firefox and try to Dsmash his illusion. if he shoots you while in the air, shield it.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
No i have fought alot of good falco's and most make the most common mistake they always go for the egde When they are recovering make it easy for roy to kill them.
i forgot About the spike roy had with the DED.
Every single time they go for the edge i usally hit them with A which then focres them to use up b for recovery And roy's Counter just kills the space animals Up b move.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
No i have fought alot of good falco's and most make the most common mistake they always go for the egde When they are recovering make it easy for roy to kill them.
i forgot About the spike roy had with the DED.
Every single time they go for the edge i usally hit them with A which then focres them to use up b for recovery And roy's Counter just kills the space animals Up b move.
DED doesnt spike, it meteors. good falcos dont overshoot the edge, and they sweetspot perfectly, so countering the firebird is pretty much out of the question. flare blade is good if you know they are going to try to sweetspot from below, since the flare blade reaches just a little below the edge.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I HATE PEACH!!!!! Please can someone help me i hate it when my friend goes Peach On me....
So....Many Turnips....*In the courner * And that Down Smash.... Chain grabbing..... Someone please help me.

Roy is my main but if my friend keeps on using peach then it will force me to go to Marth and put Marth as my main (Which i really dont want to happen). If anyone has any counters please tell me.

P.S I dont like Marth...

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
no one likes Marth. try grabbing the turnips. keep the pressure on so she can't get turnips or Dsmash. don't try to juggle Uairs. I don't know to many peaches, so I can't help you out to much.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Can Anyone help with Stratagies Against Link.
I got a friend Who plays like the germ and Aniki put together And He is super tough...
And that Nair.. He just Gets that out when you least expect it...

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace
Can Anyone help with Stratagies Against Link.
I got a friend Who plays like the germ and Aniki put together And He is super tough...
And that Nair.. He just Gets that out when you least expect it...
the best thing to do against a link is when he is on low damage duck and press a and side smash him it works all the time it will give you space and tme to edge hog

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
the best thing to do against a link is when he is on low damage duck and press a and side smash him it works all the time it will give you space and tme to edge hog
duck and press A then side smash=Dtilt>Fsmash. much shorter. anyway, even at low percents, Dtilt>Fsmash only works against FF. I wouldn't try it against link, since you never know when he'll stick in a nair. I would go with Dtilt>SHFFL instead. just my thoughts.

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace
duck and press A then side smash=Dtilt>Fsmash. much shorter. anyway, even at low percents, Dtilt>Fsmash only works against FF. I wouldn't try it against link, since you never know when he'll stick in a nair. I would go with Dtilt>SHFFL instead. just my thoughts.
i was just palying against a link and my 2 hit combo and it builds up a little more damage and if your lucky you can take away there second jump if they tried to jump out of it

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
the only thing I can assume then is you're are only using it at low percents, except that's the time where you need an Fsmash least. especially when it's like giving Link more space to camp.

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace
spelling mistakes make it tough for me to read your post, but yes it is most affective on space animals because they're FF like I said.
i was rushing my bad my mom yells at me for being on the computer too long
anyway i've beaten plenty of Space animal users with roy because they fast fall i love to fight fast fallers with roy its so easy to win

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I got too many combo's Againist FF I think i got Around 124 combo's in total againist them .
I got around 10 Combo's Againist Marth.
And 45 combo's Againist Young Link.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I've fought Shaeman111 And crystalnite And my other friends I've gotten really crazy combo's on them if my friend could upload those videos i will some them to you.
it's one thing to combos at the moment, but Roy is pretty much unable to have a set combo that can't be DIed or teched out of.

moj4991

Smash Cadet
Is it true that it is better to hit other characters in general with the middle of roy's sword or does it not matter?

Top Bottom