• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Character specific strategies for Roy

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=recCQf3Ajig

Haven't played melee in about 3 years. Have mained roy for quite a while. I've been using more nairs since this vid. Any tips for the falco mu?
Power shield, You're kinda forced to approach. Pillaring hurts. Up throw CG ends in F-smash if you predict them di ing away. Tipped dtilt Beats unsweetspotted up-b's and side b's if timed right. Counter Shuts down Up-b not sweetspotted. Dodge roll never side step too much. Dtilt(amazing for combo's obv roy's best move), DED, > ^ > (is a great surprise killer), Nair(racks up damage), F-smash (obv killer), Uair (sweetspotted, juggling) Juggles at around 68%-75%, Can Lead into F-smash. What you wanna do is ban like big stages that allow him to run and laser camp. FD mainly, but you also get rid of your Cg and tech chases. PIllaring hurts alot on platform stages. This match-up is like 65-35 Falco's. Just play smart don't get frustrated and Predict and you'll be well.. Its annoying match up Good luck though, Also Jab stops side b if timed right which forces them to up-b, near the edge.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=recCQf3Ajig

Haven't played melee in about 3 years. Have mained roy for quite a while. I've been using more nairs since this vid. Any tips for the falco mu?
step 1: power shield lasers

step 2: you don't have an option out of shield other than grab for dair shine shield pressure

step 3: dtilt/grab/fsmash

step 4: counter recovery

step 5: ???

step 7: profit

TLMarth

Smash Ace
What about jiggs? Trying to keep outside the range of her aerials is hard; how do I counter them, if I know they are coming? As far as I know I'm limited to poking with DED...

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
That match-up, I wouldn't even pick roy in. Just go Marth or Fox and Outspace and Camp the hell out of her. If you really wanna use Roy cp Low ceiling stages, Use Jab if she tries to Sh near you for a rest. Try to use what Little spacing roy has. Don't bother with DED unless you know they aren't on the Ground to CC it. Thats a free rest. Ban Dreamland. Use Jab, Ftilt, First hit of DED and Nair for spacing and keeping her out. Also if you ever grab her use Down throw and Forward throw. If you think they're gonna di in after a throw use Back throw and F-smash.

Schnizzle Fits

Smash Cadet
You also have to take into account the fact that Roy can insta-KO Jigglypuff with a reverse Blazer, giving him an automatic advantage against it.
Still not going to change the MU in Roy's favor. Its only a insta KO at 0% at the top platform of BF. You still have to deal with everything else Jiggs is going to do. Also if you fail hitting the reverse hit your open to at worst a rest. Its still a MU I wouldn't recommend using Roy for.

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
Still not going to change the MU in Roy's favor. Its only a insta KO at 0% at the top platform of BF. You still have to deal with everything else Jiggs is going to do. Also if you fail hitting the reverse hit your open to at worst a rest. Its still a MU I wouldn't recommend using Roy for.
That is completely wrong, it insta kills jiggs from any height on any stage, even dreamland. His MU is in Roy's favor for sure

Schnizzle Fits

Smash Cadet
That is completely wrong, it insta kills jiggs from any height on any stage, even dreamland. His MU is in Roy's favor for sure
All he has is a Up B that he somehow has to get inside of Jiggs to use and flawlessly space and execute. You're never going to do anything worth while to Jiggs because Roy cannot punish her bair. You can but it's going to be a tipper at best because Jiggs needs to stay outside of your reach at all times and because Roy's tipper is makes it even less of a risk for Jiggs than any other character. And once Roy gets off stage grats on getting combod to the blastzone. You'd have a better time recovering vs a Fox. Jigglypuff is not a good MU vs Jigglypuff. Meanwhile Roy's best KO options are ground moves. Go play Roy vs a Jigglypuff main once.

Last edited:

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
All he has is a Up B that he somehow has to get inside of Jiggs to use and flawlessly space and execute. You're never going to do anything worth while to Jiggs because Roy cannot punish her bair. You can but it's going to be a tipper at best because Jiggs needs to stay outside of your reach at all times and because Roy's tipper is makes it even less of a risk for Jiggs than any other character. And once Roy gets off stage grats on getting combod to the blastzone. You'd have a better time recovering vs a Fox. Jigglypuff is not a good MU vs Jigglypuff. Meanwhile Roy's best KO options are ground moves. Go play Roy vs a Jigglypuff main once.
"Flawlessly space and execute" not really, it's a pretty easy hotbox to hit with compared to Rest, and all you need is combo one other move into it and then there goes Jiggs' stock. You made some other good points though

T^2

Smash Cadet
"Flawlessly space and execute" not really, it's a pretty easy hotbox to hit with compared to Rest, and all you need is combo one other move into it and then there goes Jiggs' stock. You made some other good points though
The thing is really hard to get that other move to combo with since jiggs has pretty much better everything in the matchup and her arials are the best in the game. Roys are by far the worst, and since a jiggs is in the air the majority of the match, its hard to land a move period, and nearly impossible to combo her into anything useful

Last edited:

T^2

Smash Cadet
You also have to take into account the fact that Roy can insta-KO Jigglypuff with a reverse Blazer, giving him an automatic advantage against it.
Ive tested this out, and it only insta kos on stages if puff is on the ground. Just saying youre likely not gonna get an opportunity to land it. Its like a Luigi fishing for up b in this matchup, yea its almost a guarenteed ko but its hard to find

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
The thing is really hard to get that other move to combo with since jiggs has pretty much better everything in the matchup and her arials are the best in the game. Roys are by far the worst, and since a jiggs is in the air the majority of the match, its hard to land a move period, and nearly impossible to combo her into anything useful
Who said Roy has by far the worst aerials? No offense but IMO when someone says that, it makes it obvious that they aren't a Roy main. Roy's aerials have insane combo potential, the only valid criticism of them is the ability to CC them. Yes he has a hard time combing Jiggs because his combo ability is best on fast fallers, but still. Also he can grab Jiggs.

T^2

Smash Cadet
Who said Roy has by far the worst aerials? No offense but IMO when someone says that, it makes it obvious that they aren't a Roy main. Roy's aerials have insane combo potential, the only valid criticism of them is the ability to CC them. Yes he has a hard time combing Jiggs because his combo ability is best on fast fallers, but still. Also he can grab Jiggs.
I'm not a roy main, but have you ever tried to combo up air or forward air before? Its almost impossible because the hitstun on them sucks so much. People can counterattack before you even land most of the time. Yea he cab grab her on special occasions that the roy dash dances like a legend and reads the landing, but whats he gonna do from there? If you name someone with worse arials than roy ill be impressed, cause I can't think of anyone who does. Everyone except him has combos with arials, even bowser.

T^2

Smash Cadet
What about jiggs? Trying to keep outside the range of her aerials is hard; how do I counter them, if I know they are coming? As far as I know I'm limited to poking with DED...
Roy puff is one of the worst matchups in the game. Your best bet is to cc fsmash at low percents and dash dance to punish a landing with a grab forward throw fsmash.

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a roy main, but have you ever tried to combo up air or forward air before? Its almost impossible because the hitstun on them sucks so much. People can counterattack before you even land most of the time. Yea he cab grab her on special occasions that the roy dash dances like a legend and reads the landing, but whats he gonna do from there? If you name someone with worse arials than roy ill be impressed, cause I can't think of anyone who does. Everyone except him has combos with arials, even bowser.
You really need to watch some Roy combo videos then.Roy literally has a f***ing pillar combo alternating between fair and dtilt. He can combo aerials extremely well due to their low knock back and his amazing SHFFL, Honestly it's at the casual level of play where his aerials suck, because they are so weak, but in competitive play he has so many good combos.

T^2

Smash Cadet
You really need to watch some Roy combo videos then.Roy literally has a f***ing pillar combo alternating between fair and dtilt. He can combo aerials extremely well due to their low knock back and his amazing SHFFL, Honestly it's at the casual level of play where his aerials suck, because they are so weak, but in competitive play he has so many good combos.
The thing is a lot of the cast can just use an aerial to get out of that. At low percents on fastfallers and heavier characters i have seen something similar, but it is really rare.

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
The thing is a lot of the cast can just use an aerial to get out of that. At low percents on fastfallers and heavier characters i have seen something similar, but it is really rare.
I know it doesn't mean a ton, but this combo video shows what Roy can do to puff: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HS9-1SVv1eA
Sethlon also has a Roy combo video. You would be really surprised what Roy can chain together with his aerials, and I realize he can't do NEARLY as many combos on puff as he can on fast fallers, but I think a down tilt to up b (insta kill) helps this matchup... To say the least.

T^2

Smash Cadet
I know it doesn't mean a ton, but this combo video shows what Roy can do to puff: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HS9-1SVv1eA
Sethlon also has a Roy combo video. You would be really surprised what Roy can chain together with his aerials, and I realize he can't do NEARLY as many combos on puff as he can on fast fallers, but I think a down tilt to up b (insta kill) helps this matchup... To say the least.
you have to wait for puff to land on the ground to up b, or else she just goes up but dosen't hit the blastzone unless the person dis up( and I'm not even sure if it ko's then, haven't labbed that out). any character can combo any character, and yea roy has some combos, I just struggle to see him landing multiple d tilt reverse up b's in a set, let alone a match. as a rest punish its brutal, but in neutral or the combo game its almost as hard to land as a raw rest (almost). It's one of the hardest matchups in the game, and I'm willing to offer my side of it if you want. This might just be me, but i've never been hit by a reverse blazer raw (besides a rest punish)or in a combo once. Puff di's up on most of roys hits since he dosen't have the best vertical kill power, and if you do that I can't think of anything that knocks puff into hitstun but puts her on the ground before she has time to recover.

Anyone in here: Feel free to message me if you want advice on what to do in the mu to make it closer, I've got some stuff lol.

Last edited:

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
you have to wait for puff to land on the ground to up b, or else she just goes up but dosen't hit the blastzone unless the person dis up( and I'm not even sure if it ko's then, haven't labbed that out). any character can combo any character, and yea roy has some combos, I just struggle to see him landing multiple d tilt reverse up b's in a set, let alone a match. as a rest punish its brutal, but in neutral or the combo game its almost as hard to land as a raw rest (almost). It's one of the hardest matchups in the game, and I'm willing to offer my side of it if you want. This might just be me, but i've never been hit by a reverse blazer raw (besides a rest punish)or in a combo once. Puff di's up on most of roys hits since he dosen't have the best vertical kill power, and if you do that I can't think of anything that knocks puff into hitstun but puts her on the ground before she has time to recover.

Anyone in here: Feel free to message me if you want advice on what to do in the mu to make it closer, I've got some stuff lol.
You can't "di up" a move that sends you in a vertical direction. You should learn how di works; you can only change the trajectory, not the amount of knockback.
The way I see it is that Roy's up b in this matchup is basically his own rest but WAY better, because it is a much easier hitbox to land, and is ten billion times less punishable, ESPECIALLY on platform stages because he can angle it to land on a platform right away.

Last edited:

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
You can't "di up" a move that sends you in a vertical direction. You should learn how di works; you can only change the trajectory, not the amount of knockback.
The way I see it is that Roy's up b in this matchup is basically his own rest but WAY better, because it is a much easier hitbox to land, and is ten billion times less punishable, ESPECIALLY on platform stages because he can angle it to land on a platform right away.
Also, are you sure that puff has to be on the ground? Maybe you are right, but I don't see any reason why it would do less knockback in the air. I have t tested this but why would there be less knockback?

T^2

Smash Cadet
Also, are you sure that puff has to be on the ground? Maybe you are right, but I don't see any reason why it would do less knockback in the air. I have t tested this but why would there be less knockback?
Yes I'm positive, go try it yourself. and you can indeed add to the knockback of a move by di'ng with it, suprised you haven't seen that before.

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
Yes I'm positive, go try it yourself. and you can indeed add to the knockback of a move by di'ng with it, suprised you haven't seen that before.
Um, clearly one of us is extremely mistaken about how DI works... I think I'm going to test this out myself.

T^2

Smash Cadet
Um, clearly one of us is extremely mistaken about how DI works... I think I'm going to test this out myself.
The easiest way I can show it is try holding the stick away from marth as he forward throws you, then don't do anything. You go farther away from him when you hold away. I call it additional knockback, but some people call it a change of velocity.

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
The easiest way I can show it is try holding the stick away from marth as he forward throws you, then don't do anything. You go farther away from him when you hold away. I call it additional knockback, but some people call it a change of velocity.
But Marty's forward throw doesn't throw you completely horizontally it?

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
all the hitboxes for up b have an 84 degree angle, so it can be DI'd upward. master hand didn't show any differences hitbox-wise for the grounded and aerial versions of up b, so i'm guessing the 200 weight dependent knockback hitbox is on both versions. knockback is just a number, it won't change depending on your DI. velocity will change due to gravity, and it can lessen the distance you travel if you're hit upward, but again, it won't change the knockback value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52lGyju_Dug < where it will actually OHKO regardless of DI

marth's f throw has an angle of 50 degrees. i suggest that you look up masterhand and download it. it's great for inspecting little things like this even if the program is somewhat limited.

lagwars' combo video only had two or so "combos" against puff. one of them wasn't even a combo, he just read the puff with a raw up b. the OHKO works, but it needs specific setups (which are in kawai kun's video) and is generally not going to see a lot of use because of its situational requirements.

T^2

Smash Cadet
all the hitboxes for up b have an 84 degree angle, so it can be DI'd upward. master hand didn't show any differences hitbox-wise for the grounded and aerial versions of up b, so i'm guessing the 200 weight dependent knockback hitbox is on both versions. knockback is just a number, it won't change depending on your DI. velocity will change due to gravity, and it can lessen the distance you travel if you're hit upward, but again, it won't change the knockback value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52lGyju_Dug < where it will actually OHKO regardless of DI

marth's f throw has an angle of 50 degrees. i suggest that you look up masterhand and download it. it's great for inspecting little things like this even if the program is somewhat limited.

lagwars' combo video only had two or so "combos" against puff. one of them wasn't even a combo, he just read the puff with a raw up b. the OHKO works, but it needs specific setups (which are in kawai kun's video) and is generally not going to see a lot of use because of its situational requirements.
So does the 50 degrees mean it's a full horizontal or is it just part? Thanks for the explanation of the terminology, that's never been my strong suit lol

Last edited:

T^2

Smash Cadet
HA I was right about DI. And yes that's the point, all you need is one read and Jiggs stock is gone.
We were both right about what we were saying lol, I just had my terminology wrong. And the hard read goes for both sides of the matchup, I feel like it's easier to kill with rest though. Not a whole lot of ways to get the reverse blazer consistently in a tournament, whereas rest has quite a few nearly guarenteed setups

Last edited:

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
We were both right about what we were saying lol, I just had my terminology wrong. And the hard read goes for both sides of the matchup, I feel like it's easier to kill with rest though. Not a whole lot of ways to get the reverse blazer consistently in a tournament, whereas rest has quite a few
We were just talking about reads, in which case blazer is much easier to get due to simply having a good hitbox, while rest has the worst hitbox of any move in the game.

T^2

Smash Cadet
We were just talking about reads, in which case blazer is much easier to get due to simply having a good hitbox, while rest has the worst hitbox of any move in the game.
I wouldn't call the reverse weight dependent hitbox good lmao, but if it's just hitbox for hitbox yea it's better. Rest is easier to set up but that's a better hitbox raw

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't call the reverse weight dependent hitbox good lmao, but if it's just hitbox for hitbox yea it's better. Rest is easier to set up but that's a better hitbox raw
"Weight dependent" doesn't matter when we are already talking about the specific matchup where the other character is plenty light enough.

Top Bottom