• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPichu

Smash Journeyman
**** that color chart got me for a second I didn't understand where King DDD had gone because it wasn't colored in... does that mean that the top three haven't changed since the last time?

Wow I didn't know he was that good.... But I like hard to play players and it seems that Olimar is up there too...

Adapt

Smash Lord
"Green means the character is Luigi"

I guess it wouldn't be fair to make Luigi red... he get's overshadowed enough by his brother as it is :p

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
At this rate Lucario will climb up to the top of A rank and even start to be a threat to S rankers.

I really hope that happens because lucarios are a lil underestimated

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
How come there's a "Sheik/Zelda"? I'm amazed there are no Sheiks placing.

Also, why is it called "U" rank? Shouldn't it be called F?

Adapt

Smash Lord
can you move the past list or something... i was getting it confused with the most up to date for a second maybe up by the other past list

EDIT: well i guess at the moment it is the same thing.
EDIT #2: did ZSS just get a win? Yay for leapfrogging the 8 or so characters in the C rank!

Bouse

Smash Ace
Ankou, I may actually have a slightly better model to estimate rankings. It should fix multiple occurrences of characters and be generally more accurate.

Also, I know you're incredibly anxious for more data but I think you should be more selective in what tournaments you pick. To be honest tournaments with entry fees under 5 dollars shouldn't even be considered. To be honest, it should have at least an $8-10 dollar cutoff.

But regardless I should have a semi-reliant statistical model to present to you in a week or so.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
8-10$ cutoff?

Heck, even very large tournaments in norcal never go over $7, simply because 1 dollar bills are too much of a hassle. Screw $8.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Concerning the cost of a tournament having a cut-off: NO. The amount of money is already being factored in through one method, factoring it with another method is simply pointless and won't change much.

However, there is a change I've been really, really wanting to see. People using multiple characters. I'm sorry, but if you are using multiple characters they should both not be given the full number of points and should instead have the points split between them. Why should this be implemented and why is it important?

You have cases which you have warned about in your opening post: "On that note, PLEASE ONLY PROVIDE MAINS. I don't care if you randomly picked Captain Falcon for a random game in your first round if you spent the rest of the tournament as Meta Knight."

However, although you say that, it simply cannot be monitored specifically. I see Roy_R was counted as both Marth/Captain Falcon. However, I've seen people say he only used Captain Falcon for one round and his Marth gave him nearly all of the victories. If you read the shout-outs, no one mentions him having an amazing Captain Falcon, they all say how great his Marth was. So obviously, you can't prevent people reporting a character they used for a round or so.

Next, we'll look at cases such as lain, who got 2nd using four different characters. Obviously Lain is an excellent player and can perhaps use any character to get such a high ranking. So here we have a player giving plenty of representation to many characters, however only for select match-ups and not taking a character against each and every obstacle.

Which brings me to my next reason why they should have the points divided. Many people say characters such as King DeDeDe have such terrible match-ups. However, players can avoid these match-ups and use secondaries to deal with this. So obviously the character does not deserve all of that credit if a secondary must be depended on. However, a character such as Fox who also supposedly has terrible match-ups against the majority of the cast is able to place 1st at tournaments with people using the character solo. Obviously this shouldn't be overshadowed by characters who are used in a few matches. I find it very important for tournament results to help dissolve many myths about certain characters having godly match-ups and certain characters having terrible ones. If someone is able to use Fox alone, it should help reinforce his match-ups and not terrible. However, if people are simply having Kirby as a tag-along character for a few matches it's going to make his match-ups appear better than they actually are.

Thus splitting the points would help fix the following problems:
People would think twice about listing a character they used in one match for kicks as it would overshadow the character they actually put the effort in with.
People who are able to use a different character each round and place high won't completely distort the tournament results of some characters.
Characters who cannot win a tournament on their own will not look as if they did win a tournament on their own when they did not.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I didn't hear about the Falcon thing; to that effect, I guess that removes his 2nd place finish from the list. :V

I'll go through the list and work on dividing points for next weekend's update.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Seeing Sonic so low makes me a sad hedgehog :(. No love for the blue blur anymore?

Oh well, at least ICs are doing well for themselves.

Amide

Smash Lord
Ankou, I may actually have a slightly better model to estimate rankings. It should fix multiple occurrences of characters and be generally more accurate.

Also, I know you're incredibly anxious for more data but I think you should be more selective in what tournaments you pick. To be honest tournaments with entry fees under 5 dollars shouldn't even be considered. To be honest, it should have at least an $8-10 dollar cutoff.

But regardless I should have a semi-reliant statistical model to present to you in a week or so.

You can't totally judge a tournament based on entry fee. Still, it'll be cool to see if you have a good layout.

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
I didn't hear about the Falcon thing; to that effect, I guess that removes his 2nd place finish from the list. :V

I'll go through the list and work on dividing points for next weekend's update.
Well it's really what made me want points divided to be honest. I saw someone make a passing comment about him only using Captain Falcon for a single round. So I went to check things out and read a few posts throughout the thread and saw everyone talking about his beastly marth and not a word about falcon mentioned. So it brought to my attention that things like that are still going to happen and must be accounted for. Also when I saw lain's ridiculous number of characters used I decided it was for the best for things to be divided when looking at the numerous other multiple character placements. I just don't want people thinking they can go through the first few rounds of tournament using Yoshi against easy opponents and then switching to Metaknight for the remainder of the tournament against good players and say that they put in the same effort as Yoshi as they did with Metaknight.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Concerning the cost of a tournament having a cut-off: NO. The amount of money is already being factored in through one method, factoring it with another method is simply pointless and won't change much.
Looking at his list I see outliers in data, most of them come from <$5 tournaments. Those are not accurate and skew the data curve. Changing how much impact they have on the data curve helps, but that's like a person who has had cancer. They may go into complete remission but their health and overall life expectancy drops. It's a blip in the data, and I prefer impeccable accuracy to the 97th decimal point.

Who are you to trifle with an obsessive compulsive madman?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I saw someone make a passing comment about him only using Captain Falcon for a single round. So I went to check things out and read a few posts throughout the thread and saw everyone talking about his beastly marth and not a word about falcon mentioned.
From what I saw, he used Falcon for three matches in the grand finals, and only won the first of them. I'm thinking he just caught Melee1 off guard in that match.

Danteh

Smash Cadet
Lol @ "Green means the character is Luigi"

Also, the tags in this thread win

Snakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

10la-li-lu-le-los

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
Looking at his list I see outliers in data, most of them come from <$5 tournaments. Those are not accurate and skew the data curve.
There are very few 5$$ and under tournaments and very few of them have questionable results, the one with the most questionable results having no thread link. If you honestly feel these are having a significant impact then you should argue they be weighted as if they were 1$$ instead of 5$$ or something instead of disregarding them altogether. If a TO wants to charge a low price in order to get more people participating it should not disqualify their tournament as it still can easily attract good players.

From what I saw, he used Falcon for three matches in the grand finals, and only won the first of them. I'm thinking he just caught Melee1 off guard in that match.
So Falcon hurt him more than help him? Once again, if Roy_R wants Falcon counted then he should expect it to steal from his use of Marth. If he feels he needed Falcon to win that fight then it should be documented as such and neither character should get the full credit. However if he feels he put in all the work as Marth and was using Falcon for WTF purposes only, then obviously he wouldn't want his messing around with Falcon taking away from his standings with Marth. With the current system, this message is not sent as he could use Falcon for 1 match and say he used them both equally and both get the full 100% credit, which is pointless and allows people to take advantage of the system. Hence why I'm asking for the system to be changed.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How do things skew data when they're worth less than half the points a $10 tournament would be worth? I have like... two tournaments with under $5 entry fee listed.

In other news, I've updated the minilist. You'll notice some significant changes as a result of splitting points.

mojo25

Smash Rookie
I would want ROB higher, considering all of the pros and little cons of him, but there are still better characters so the list seems to be pretty accurate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom