• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character matchups you can never win?

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
just fought a good meta knight, i usually meet metaknights one once in a blue moon, and those are decent at best, but dis one was rly good and it felt very unwinnable for me

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one, or does Yoshi give anyone else trouble? :4yoshi: Yoshi is what my nightmares are made of...

I main Bowser and can NOT beat a good Yoshi. Have yet to.

Edit: This topic is fresh in my mind so I have to report back. Fought another Yoshi, lost again. How can a character have such powerful spamming projectiles (eggs) and such quick, killing smash attacks? Just don't understand how to beat this character.

Last edited:

JiNinja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hydro_jin
People who can use Megaman really well I cant do anything against them.
Also have a hard time with Mario. Combo combo combo
Falcon, half the time Lil Mac, Sonic, and Diddy all give me a hard time.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
While I have never found any character I hold to be unbeatable, when I use dedede I have some troubles with these characters:
1. SAMUS! I hate good samus players. My only hope is to keep them in the air, but I just can't even get to them. That roll is too good for escaping once I finally make my way over there. And they aren't even light!
2. Link/toon link. Mostly toon link though. SO MANY PROJECTILES! But I can catch them rolling if they get predictable.
3. Yoshi. I don't know why, but I always face really good yoshis!

Smashtastic956

Smash Rookie
R.O.B is killing machine (literally), he can take down Shiek, Little Mac, Fire Emblem Characters, Fox/Falco, Samus/Zero Suit, Duck Hunt and basically any character. But for some reason I have trouble with the Links lol

Victor Hugo Amaro

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4425-2581-6215
R.O.B is killing machine (literally), he can take down Shiek, Little Mac, Fire Emblem Characters, Fox/Falco, Samus/Zero Suit, Duck Hunt and basically any character. But for some reason I have trouble with the Links lol
I agree. He's a very complete character. He's considered a fattie, so he can do quite amount of damage and has a good survivability, and one hell of a recover. Not considering the fact that he has guaranted d-throw combos.

But a character that i really hate is lil mac. He can be very cheap at times.

Holla@ChaBoi390

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5100-6686
As a Mario main, I get destroyed by ROB players. If anyone could give me some advice I'd appreciate it haha

nozzle3466

Smash Rookie
I use a lot of chars and know how to fight most chars really well. There is however one exception. :ness:
He can deal amazing pressure while being same at the same time and just grabs you everytime you shield. Also his recovery his way harder to intercept than it should be.

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Does any one know if Diddy Kong has been nerfed yet? We've been hearing a lot of complaints.
No, he hasn't. And honestly, he probably doesn't need to be. People who complain about him need to learn to adapt.

Let the metagame develop more before we instantly ban someone. Sure, it might turn out he's the Meta Knight of this game but I find that unlikely. I think he'll become like Shiek in Melee: considered amazing at the start (dat chaingrab), slowly fell with the rise of Fox but still remains a solid choice.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
I don't play online very much since I only have a 3DS, and I always lose to :4rob:. I usually just play random characters online.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
i have literally never beaten a good sheik. Good meaning ones that know how to combo, followup, and dodge/fakeout rather than spam needles. I can beat the spammers because they generally dont know wtf theyre doing once i get up close. A sheik that can actually combo me is just frustrating to deal with.
I'm right there with you, I just can't get away from those god damn needles.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Both :4samus: and :4zelda: seem like very tough matchups for :4dedede:.
I don't lose all of them, but I can tell they're really hard to go against. Even harder than :4link: and :4tlink:.

Blazer561

Smash Rookie
I have the most trouble with characters like Greninja, Mega Man, and Sonic.
I haven't really gotten used to playing good Greninjas, so I don't have a good idea of what to do. Mega is extremely campy with projectiles and I can't find good ways to approach when using close combat characters.
Sonic is the main problem because it's difficult to punish his spin attacks. I always try shielding the attack, and immediately jumping with an aerial when he jumps, but sometimes he jumps high fast enough for me to not be able to punish it. It's hard for me to avoid his aerial pressure as well because he's all over the place and I can't predict what he's going to do fast enough.

ChallengerDoob

Smash GAWD
NNID
UntamedCookie
3DS FC
3437-3196-4733
I play :4falcon:/:4ness:/:4pikachu: and I CAN'T I MEAN CAN'T defeat my friend's :4rob: Its not even like I can't beat any :4rob:ITS LITERALLY JUST HIS. I can beat every other main he has its just:4rob:I CAN'T DO IT

ClumzyWumzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Clumzy
I just started playing Smash again last month and :4charizard: "picked me to main him". On For Glory I got absolutely wrecked by :4mario:, and :4falcon:. It was so bad that the players told me that I sucked and that I should quit :( I want to blame the lag on For Glory but I know that I just suck at the game lol. :4ness:, :4lucina:,:4marth: used to give me a really hard time whenever I played against my brothers or my friends. I've been working on playing as :4pikachu:,:4mario:,:4jigglypuff:,and :4shulk: just for a bit of variety. I really want to play For Glory again but the toxic players will hurt my feelings again lol.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Currently, my hard to beat matchups are against aggressive Ganondorf, Captain Falcon and Little Mac players.

I'm usually able to keep my spacing against an aggressive player due to my knockback, but Dorf's super armor makes it hard for my play style to adapt currently. I'm hoping with more practice I'll get better, as each match lasts longer and I have better performance. It just sucks that I see them so little, but when I do the player is the obnoxious 'put every unsportsman-like racial slur in my user name' type that I'm unable to continue to play with during my daughter's normal hours.

Aggressive Cap and Mac players it's mostly do to the speed, which again I hope to offset with more exposure. Strangely, I don't see many Macs anymore, and the few I do are 50/50 hoping a blind beatdown will work (Maybe for one stock, but almost never works for a match) or are really good at using their characters against a slower target which puts me at a disadvantage.

FEMARTH

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vintage
The Perspective of a solid :4marth:Main

Troubles
-:4ness: can be a real pain. He can manage his distance with PK Fire, forcing me to play overly defensive
-:4pikachu:can also tax a Marth Main. Thanks to his Thunder Jolt, he's able to keep reasonable distance from Marth. Whenever the moment tempts him, is also able to quickly close in and wreck
-:4link:Solid Link Players are like no other for a Marth Main. There boomerang and arrow pressure is enough to drive a Marth Main Mad
-:4littlemac:Isn't as bad as the others, but with his speed can close in on a Marth unexpectedly quickly.
-:4bowserjr:A solid Bowser Jr. Player is a absolute pain against my Marth. There Mechakoopa and Clown Cannon are a real trouble.

Positives
I find Marth is able to compete decently with solid :4diddy::rosalina: and :4sheik: Players. All :4sheik:players I've come across get overly excited knowing Marth lacks a projectile game and "attempt" to pressure with their needles and going in for Kills. Thus resulting in a Easy Counter, or punishable Tipped Foward Smash. Cant say for sure with :4zss: seeing as all :4zss:players I've come across haven't posed much trouble for my Marth.

My Marth manages to pull himself well against the rest of the cast. Yes even :4megaman::4duckhunt:and :4fox:.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I am finding Villager to be an uphill battle. I am still adjusting to fighting a character that is so... sadistically strange.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I just started playing Smash again last month and :4charizard: "picked me to main him". On For Glory I got absolutely wrecked by :4mario:, and :4falcon:. It was so bad that the players told me that I sucked and that I should quit :( I want to blame the lag on For Glory but I know that I just suck at the game lol. :4ness:, :4lucina:,:4marth: used to give me a really hard time whenever I played against my brothers or my friends. I've been working on playing as :4pikachu:,:4mario:,:4jigglypuff:,and :4shulk: just for a bit of variety. I really want to play For Glory again but the toxic players will hurt my feelings again lol.
It doesn't matter if you are a veteran, a god or a new player, the toxic players are just that, toxic. They get their jollies by making their opponent salty, as you quitting is exactly what they want. (A smaller pond for them to be the big fish in) The good news is that most toxic types aren't the best or even that good, so with continued practice you'll be able to eventually turn the tables on your wannabe 'bully' and bludgeon them with righteous smashing. You'll never be rid of all the poison that humanity can muster (I've had matches against great players that were ruined by poor sportsmanship in the end), but championing good sportsmanship is something that will have a positive effect on our community as we each try to keep it that way. (Leading by example and such)

Trying different times of day can help (I play later during weekdays, and see less trolls because of it), or using smashladders or other types of smash match making can help as well.

Also dittos are something I'm having trouble with currently. I know my own weaknesses, but I'm still working on how to properly abuse them.

Last edited:

Honest

Banned via Warnings
FREAKING. LUIGI. I know I preach the fact that I hate Luigi a lot, but I legitimately have never beaten a proficient Luigi in this game.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
It doesn't matter if you are a veteran, a god or a new player, the toxic players are just that, toxic. They get their jollies by making their opponent salty, as you quitting is exactly what they want. (A smaller pond for them to be the big fish in) The good news is that most toxic types aren't the best or even that good, so with continued practice you'll be able to eventually turn the tables on your wannabe 'bully' and bludgeon them with righteous smashing. You'll never be rid of all the poison that humanity can muster (I've had matches against great players that were ruined by poor sportsmanship in the end), but championing good sportsmanship is something that will have a positive effect on our community as we each try to keep it that way. (Leading by example and such)

Trying different times of day can help (I play later during weekdays, and see less trolls because of it), or using smashladders or other types of smash match making can help as well.

Also dittos are something I'm having trouble with currently. I know my own weaknesses, but I'm still working on how to properly abuse them.
Wait, I don't get it how can you flame someone in for glory I'm pretty sure you can't actually speak to one another?

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Wait, I don't get it how can you flame someone in for glory I'm pretty sure you can't actually speak to one another?
On the Wii U, they will switch their player profile to something toxic. It will show up in the character select, and usually hovering above their head during the match if they want to create extra salt.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
On the Wii U, they will switch their player profile to something toxic. It will show up in the character select, and usually hovering above their head during the match if they want to create extra salt.
I personally never ran into that but that's pretty terrible, probably just some salty basement dwelling neckbeards lol.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Mega Man is pretty much the bane of my existence. I just don't enjoy fighting him.
Zero Suit Samus irritates me too.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Mega Man is pretty much the bane of my existence. I just don't enjoy fighting him.
Zero Suit Samus irritates me too.
I keep forgetting that Mega Man's pee shooter is technically a jab, and can stop approaches instead of just whittle damage away like his source material. Eventually it will sink into my head, I'm just hoping that it's before I'm bludgeoned into a pulp. :teeth:

Top Bottom