• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character matchups you can never win?

AyyceLmao

Smash Rookie
NNID
AyyceLmao
3DS FC
4398-9376-2390
I recently played at the 3DS Tournament at Fight Pitt V (placed in top 16) and had a great time. It was my first time playing Smash 4 with anyone other than my friends or on For Glory, and I realized that there are so many matchups I can literally never win. No matter how much I practice against them, I just always fall short on winning. Is there any specific characters out there you just can't play against? For me, it's Greninja and Rosalina.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Like a lot of people who play this game online, Rosalumas and most Lucarios, but mainly Rosaluma are the characters that give me the most trouble. I can manage to get a few wins against Lucarios, but Rosalumas? I am not sure if I ever won a match against one. It is sorta discouraging to keep playing since those two characters are extremely overused online.

AyyceLmao

Smash Rookie
NNID
AyyceLmao
3DS FC
4398-9376-2390
I got knocked out of my bracket by a Rosaluma. It was a close match but it definitely helped me learn a bit in the matchup.

AyyceLmao

Smash Rookie
NNID
AyyceLmao
3DS FC
4398-9376-2390
From what I've seen, if a Ness is somewhat decent at OOSG, they can be pretty destructive.

bekindrewind

Smash Apprentice
PAC-MAN versus Falco because they end up spamming Blaster, reflect my projectiles and shield grab me when I try to approach.

AyyceLmao

Smash Rookie
NNID
AyyceLmao
3DS FC
4398-9376-2390
Dealing with a Little Mac isn't that bad I found out. ledge camping makes the matchup quite easier!

RareMagmar

Smash Rookie
NNID
deauhmon
I play Ness, but I just recently got over the rosa matchup. (the star must die)
A good sonic can mess me up though. I think that's just me. Sonic is a scrub character. Smh

Last edited:

Ohzma

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4983-5448-8974
Rosaluma and sheik... the occasional lucario. But mainly rosaluma, I wish I knew what they were thinking when they made her the way she is right now.

Niala

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say there are specific characters I can't win against, but there are definitely match-ups that I struggle very hard with. When playing Wii Fit Trainer, as I honestly love to do, I lose a lot more than when I play Robin, Captain Falcon, and especially Rosalina. The biggest problem are small characters who are hard to hit. Olimar, Pikachu, Little Mac... all of them duck under her projectiles when they approach, and her up close options are somewhat lackluster because of her pathetic range.

Coming from the other side, I'd say it's true people can't deal with Rosalina very well. To be honest, if I only played her, I'd probably have a 90%+ winrate, rather than the ~75% I float around now.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
i have literally never beaten a good sheik. Good meaning ones that know how to combo, followup, and dodge/fakeout rather than spam needles. I can beat the spammers because they generally dont know wtf theyre doing once i get up close. A sheik that can actually combo me is just frustrating to deal with.

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
I play Pac-Man, and I have never been able to beat a good Rosalina. Pac's fruit and hydrant are rendered useless which forces me to play very offensive against a character with great range.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I have a tendency to lose against Lucarios. I could be described as somewhat impatient and very daring, and this can really bite you back when fighting Lucario since he can turn matches around very fast if you do not care too much about his increasing power.
His recovery also means you have to blast him off stage, or he will come back from anywhere quickly.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
I can deal with Rosalina pretty fine.

The characters I've never been able to beat when played by skilled players are ZSS, Sonic and Diddy Kong (then again the only skilled Diddy Kong I ever played against was LEFFEN himself so I dunno if that counts XD).

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I play as Little Mac.

I've never beaten a good Pac-Man, Mega Man, or Yoshi. DDD I have trouble with but can take a game every once in a while. Sonic is annoying but I can usually beat him. Some characters just seem unpunishable tho...

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
i have literally never beaten a good sheik. Good meaning ones that know how to combo, followup, and dodge/fakeout rather than spam needles. I can beat the spammers because they generally dont know wtf theyre doing once i get up close. A sheik that can actually combo me is just frustrating to deal with.
As a Sheik main, needle spamming is an essential part of the neutral game, so long as the character in question has no projectile that is as spammable and as long range as the needles.

Just to be clear though, I don't ONLY spam needles. If I did I wouldn't have won a single match with Sheik.

As for matchups I can't win, well, Rosalina. Cannot stand fighting her. I REALLY need to look into her weaknesses.

I recently played at the 3DS Tournament at Fight Pitt V (placed in top 16) and had a great time.
Congrats!
This is a good result! (that would make more sense if you were a Shulk main xD)

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
When playing as :4duckhunt: I can't beat a good :4link: player. The arrows are strong enough to break all of my projectiles so pretty much goodbye can, gunman and clay pigeon :<

And trying to get in close, you get out-ranged by the sword...

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
my weakness is :4lucario:,:4falco:, and :rosalina:

my mains are :4megaman:,:4rob:,:4yoshi:, and :rosalina:

who i beat easy that other people seems to have trouble with :4zss:,:4greninja:

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I was in a Smash tournament once, sweeping with my Yoshi. I could swept through every character I said, and then at Grand Finals, I fought schmerpin, who is someone who mains Peach. He won 3-0, then bracket reset, then he won 3-1.

I think I have such a bad match-up against Peach. She's so good in Smash 4, with a kick-a$$ air game that rivals Jigglypuff and she forces you to do something different. Still, 2nd place wasn't bad overall for me.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
My Falco just can't handle C. falcon. Other than that, I fear no match up.

Also, my jigglypuff eats rosalinas :)

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
As for matchups I can't win, well, Rosalina. Cannot stand fighting her. I REALLY need to look into her weaknesses.
i play rose very often and i'm able to tell u her weakness is rush down. once u get in between her and her luma DON'T do any attack that has bad end lag other wise its super easy for rose to do her rush attack.(hope this helps. i kind of hate fihgting her 2 even if i use her)

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
:4fox: :4kirby: :4sheik: :4shulk:
Shulk is especially difficult when using the Speed Art. I have no idea why I have problems fighting Kirby.

Ryukutsai

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ratheil
3DS FC
5370-0963-3131
Not unwinnable, but good DDDs are so stressful to play against. Same with Sonic and Villager.
I agree big time with the DDDs statement, whenever I encounter a good DDD I never have a fun time of it, doesn't matter which of my characters I happen to be playing. Oddly enough I don't have near as much of a problem with Sheik/Rosaluma. However every single match vs. Rosaluma is an enraging endeavor due to her mechanics, it's like fist fighting a cactus, if you hit Luma you get hit by Rosi and vice versa.

AyyceLmao

Smash Rookie
NNID
AyyceLmao
3DS FC
4398-9376-2390
I've also come to find out that both Fox and Falco are incredibly good..here I was thinking that Falco was mediocre at best.

Smash_Of_Fate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Babael_Of_Fate
3DS FC
1134-7601-5121
I have a hard time dealing with good Villagers when I use my mains :4sonic::4bowser::4charizard:, but when I use :4duckhunt:against :4villager:it's almost brain-dead easy. Point is I have to counter pick Villager, otherwise I just CAN NOT deal with it.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
:4littlemac:
I just can't....*Rolls into a ball*
ive gotten to the point where i just refuse to face macs. if i find one, i just leave whether i beat them or not.
I can usually beat them majority of the time, but even the idiot macs are stressful to face because of his bullcrap priority, speed, and killing potential. The fact that one mistake cascades with him means nothing when its so very easy to not make a mistake.
I play this game to have fun. I do not have fun facing macs that abuse mechanics unique to them (powerarmor everything, insane speed, almost no lag between attacks, etc etc) and run circles around me 10 times before my characters are done with their one attack (yes thats exaggerated but you get the point).

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I don't know why, but Ness gives me so much trouble.
Also Sonic. Do you want to beat me? Are you capable of selecting Sonic and pressing the taunt button? Congratulations! (in case you can't tell, I really really hate that damned hedgehog. He just rubs me the wrong way :snake:)

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Most people like to hate on Rosalina, but so far :4villager: is the bane of my existence for the competitive community in this game. I hate you Villager, you and your stupid game you call Animal Crossing!

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
At the moment, Diddy Kong can be a pain in the neck for me. Also Rosalina and Zero Suit Samus, but not as much. Little Mac depends on the player. Either I am completely obliterated or they get edgeguarded hard and die a swift death.

Top Bottom