• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character matchups you can never win?

Otsillac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gobbledy-gooker
No matter who I'm using, Yoshi and Lucario always give me trouble. Yoshi's attacks are stupidly fast, and I can never KO Lucario before he destroys me when at a high percent.

Also, Jigglypuff. I've only ever seen one, and I never wanna see one again.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Robin.

Just Robin.

I'm not even sure why. I know their strategies fairly well and I can dodge and counter with reasonable amounts of proficiency, yet they inevitably catch me off-guard with their spells and whack me with some good smashes with the Levin Sword. Totally down to my own poor timing and idle judgement, but damn, it's a harrowing ordeal all the same.

I've recently added Meta Knight to my "watch out for this guy" logs. A good Meta Knight player is pretty dangerous when you're trying to play defensively and maintain a steady advantage over 'em.

Armah

Smash Rookie
NNID
Armah1337
So far I haven't been able to defeat a ZSS once. Ironically, I'm just too slow and inaccurate as Sonic to be able to grab her and punish her Plasma Whip. That, and her uair is the bane of my existence. Then again, I get my posterior kicked rather easily by above-average skilled players.

D

Deleted member

Shulk vs. Jigglypuff

Maybe it's how I play Shulk, but I struggle against the CPU all the time with this and would probably get destroyed by a competent human player. My main issue with this MU lies with this - none of my usual tactics as Shulk work against Jigglypuff. If I hit with Nair, I lose a lot of my usual followups because Jiggs is so floaty and small. And if Jigglypuff gets on the offensive, especially offstage, I get destroyed. I get the feeling a lot of this comes from my treating Jigglypuff the same as every other character when I should be taking advantage of her big weakness; her lack of weight. A good hit with Smash mode would probably kill her significantly quicker than most characters, but instead, I don't use Smash until she's at a similar amount of damage that I would use to KO a middleweight.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Luigi and Doc Mario. Dunno why, but these two can just swap the floor with me, dunno what's wrong.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
If we're talking in FG here, :4robinf: vs...just about anyone, since FD hates Robin.
If we're not, I have a lot of trouble with :4zss:in general because I fail at punishing that stupid dash attack, and also :4marth:and:4lucina:because I suck at dodging and that stupid shieldbreaker makes my only good method of defense nearly worthless.
That's my own fault though, really. I just fail so badly at those MUs.

Last edited:

T-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
lT-Manl
3DS FC
5086-1450-2098
Lucario AND just Lucario...... cuz Lucario has double reward while you rack him damage.

Lucario is just TOO unbalanced.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
:4ganondorf::4luigi::4dedede::4falcon::4littlemac:and :4myfriends:are the bane of my existence though I've gotten better against some of them (I usually get trolled by brute force and OHKOs)

PigglyJuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mr.Hugz
3DS FC
2793-1251-1909
Looking at all the villager hate and smiling cause I main villager.

As for me, duck hunt/villager and sonic.

Last edited:

Goulmania

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goulmania
Diddy Kong, I feel like I don't have a counter for his basic strategy and I get bodied.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
While this isn't a case of a matchup I never win, I find that unless I'm using characters without a good projectile, Ganondorf (Or at least Japanese players using Ganon) is always an uphill battle. I swear that whoever plays as him has incredibly good reflexes or a good punish game.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Sonic when playing as Dedede is the stuff of nightmares.

ItsBearTime

Smash Rookie
It's always those stupid Villagers man. And by that I mean 'I have no idea how to deal with their camping and have a 0% winrate at Sudden Death'. (If Sudden Death wasn't really poorly designed for any sort of competitive play (or at least wasn't used in For Glory), I probably wouldn't have a problem with Villager. Can't speak from offline experience, because I don't know anyone who plays Villager irl).

I also have immense amounts of trouble against "low-tiers" that aren't picked a lot (like :4samus: and :4wiifit:), because I have no idea what to do against them. (On the plus side, I have become an expert at fighting Captain Falcons)

Also Shulk. Even if it's a bad one, Shulk's range always gives me trouble. And if it's one who knows how to use Monado Arts effectively, God help me.

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
:4tlink: Dis little SOB give me the hardest time. the keep away, super fast moves, small hitbox all just screw with me when i'm playing :4zss:
Hilariously enough when i play:4ganondorf:vs:4tlink: the match usually ends in under 1:30 because they always do the preditable thing that i can for some reason punish better as :4ganondorf: than :4zss:

D

Deleted member

I have tons of trouble against any decent Dedede. He's just so troublesome.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Playing Kirby against TL. Just gets **** on so hard. I did win one match against him recently as Kirby though so I feel a little progress. Still feels the MU is so skewed.

Kunoku

Smash Rookie
Not really too hard for me but I find the Toon Link match up too tedious to actually try. Usually I rush down my opponent but If he continually runs away to use projectiles, I kind of don't feel like playing anymore especially if the match means nothing so I just sandbag. So basically if you win cool, if I win please choose another game lol

Does anyone else do the same, especially with the run away types?

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Samus. It isn't fair that mac can't Jolt Haymaker Missles, then gets hit by 2 projectiles and killed for doing something advertised in the preview. Worst part that explosions were just classed as projectiles, so It would have made more sense than in any other game for him to ignore them.

Also i suck vs projectile spam in general.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I struggle against Robin, but ONLY in For Glory.

By sheer coincidence, every Robin I have faced online has had a bad connection, meaning noticeable input lag. Therefore, as a Rosalina main, the extremely effective counters Rosalina has against many of Robin's tactics just don't work, and it is incredibly frustrating. Makes it hard to get past their projectiles, and they can easily spam them and suffer no consequence since I cannot counter them properly. Again, I must stress that this is only the case with noticeable input lag (though Rosalina hates lag in general). Offline or on a good connection, I have no trouble at all with Robin.

Same applies to Little Mac. I'm actually really good at handling him normally. I know a very solid Little Mac player, and the last time I played with him, my Rosalina outclassed his Little Mac by a large margain. I was consistently beating him, sometimes without losing a life, while I had trouble with him on the 3DS version's release. But lag makes Mac difficult. I am not even joking when I say the other day, a Little Mac on For Glory managed to beat my Rosalina with NOTHING BUT CHARGED SIDE SMASHES. I am 100% serious. That is all they did for the entire match. And I wouldn't mind only it was CLOSE. I nearly had him but I messed up at the end when I could have won. So I was actually tolerating the lag pretty well, until the last second. It was extremely humiliating.

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
Sonic. Seriously. If not the hardest match-up, it's definitely my most aggrevating one out there. Now, in all honesty, I'm not particularly familiar with Sonic (I never play him), but I just cannot seem to deal with his side-B effectively. I don't know how to reliably interrupt it, and any attempts at punishes usually get me hit more instead. Side-B is easy enough to shield, but if I can't answer it with an attack, then I'm getting nowhere. Moreover, recently I played against a really good Sonic, who was almost fighting systematically, and I just couldn't get anything done at all, getting KO'd with only 50% on Sonic. They cancelled side-B to neutral-B a lot, and regardless of wether they did or not, they would spring, then down-air and land without any lag at all, then move away or F-tilt. Mix in grabs and many up-airs as well. It was probably my most frustrating match in For Glory ever. I was playing as Robin in this, who is my main right now.

On that note, I don't suppose there's someone out there who'd care to share some Sonic match-up wisdom with me sometime? If not anything too in-depth, maybe just against side-B? Because that move frustrates me to no end.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I have a hard time fighting Luigi with Jigglypuff. It's hard to approach him, and when I manage, he's got a punish ready. It's also hard to be defensive against him due to his fireballs.

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
:4link: and :4tlink:'s are the most obnoxious and tedious ones to face that I lose all momentum after a stock loss.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Sonic. Seriously. If not the hardest match-up, it's definitely my most aggrevating one out there. Now, in all honesty, I'm not particularly familiar with Sonic (I never play him), but I just cannot seem to deal with his side-B effectively. I don't know how to reliably interrupt it, and any attempts at punishes usually get me hit more instead. Side-B is easy enough to shield, but if I can't answer it with an attack, then I'm getting nowhere. Moreover, recently I played against a really good Sonic, who was almost fighting systematically, and I just couldn't get anything done at all, getting KO'd with only 50% on Sonic. They cancelled side-B to neutral-B a lot, and regardless of wether they did or not, they would spring, then down-air and land without any lag at all, then move away or F-tilt. Mix in grabs and many up-airs as well. It was probably my most frustrating match in For Glory ever. I was playing as Robin in this, who is my main right now.

On that note, I don't suppose there's someone out there who'd care to share some Sonic match-up wisdom with me sometime? If not anything too in-depth, maybe just against side-B? Because that move frustrates me to no end.
Side B can be interupted by any fast projectile(unless it's the custom fire spindash. That attack is kind of bull**** with the amount of super armour/high priority it has) when i play sheik i throw needles so i'd imagine a quick thunder from robin would do fine. i also think robin's fsmash would beat it if timed correctly since it has a decent ammount of power and a disjointed hitbox.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Anyone of my characters vs. Luigi. Gosh darn it he's so hard to approach and punish! It doesn't help that shieldgrab = free 50%'s worth of damage. :(

At least for characters I have trouble with (like Falcon vs Marth), I can switch to Sheik and call it a day.

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
I suck huge, spikey Gordos when it comes to fighting Dedede. I don't run into him that often; but the ones I've fought steamrolled through my best fighters.

Last edited:

16BitGeek

Smash Rookie
NNID
16BitGeek
Am I the only one, or does Yoshi give anyone else trouble? :4yoshi: Yoshi is what my nightmares are made of...

Top Bottom