• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Matchups & Strategies, v.2

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
I watched it but maybe I should do it again.

But I think I got it: I'm dumb. :c The problem is I already knew that... :urg:
I'm working on it tho.

The comparison with the mid-level MK -what I also am- reply is not appropriate imo, since both Falco and Snake have plenty of known tools (Falco more than Snake) to deal with the bat, which I honestly think isn't the case of Pika as it happens.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Except you literally JUST stated my point. At your current level you don't see the tools because you are being beat whenever you try to use them because he is outsmarting you. There are definitely tools to beat Marth, just as there are tools for MK to beat Snake/Falco. Get what i'm saying?

Also, don't say you are dumb. I don't remember ever watching you play so I won't pass that judgement, but you are probably less smart than Leon considering he is top 3 in France.

Cassio

Smash Master
Everyone's provided you with specific tools, for some reason youve just chosen to disagree with them.

Also the more I experiment the more I feel most MUs are better played (smartly) contesting attacks vs shielding them.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
@Cassio : I didn't totally disagree with them, I just think they're not significant enough compared with Marth's one to assert Pika Marth is even.

Well, I guess I should stop complaining about that and just play the game.
And optionally play it better.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes even the best players haven't right skills to judge matchups...
But I admit this can be true (if I try ham tho).

Cassio

Smash Master
Well the problem is the MU is a lot more chaotic than any one or two tools can explain, everyone's just assuming what you have issues with. So yes on their own nothing thats stated here will be enough to handle the MU on their own, but to some extent unless youre more specific on what gives you problems, its assumed you can handle yourself with pika that everything wont be stated explicitly.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Marth's tippered nair is a good kill move.

I think a lot of Pikachus (myself included) have trouble with this matchup. If there is a more well-developed outline of what we should be doing to beat Marth, please link it. Otherwise, I think we need to make one.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
I think I begin to understand some things about this (still ****ty) matchup :bee:

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Well, actually I meant what was the % range to fthrow chaingrab but nvm I'll find out

SHAWDY

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShawdyLink
Yo Esam I had a smashfest at my place yesterday and it went pretty well. Justin, Bri, Brett, Ace and some other kid was there. Justin wrecked me and suggested I drop Link for Somebody else. I might pick up Pikachu or ZSS but I'm not sure yet because I don't want to give up on Link yet because I want to try and prove people wrong about Link. Do you suggest those 2 characters to possibly pick up?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
They are probably the two most complex characters to learn in the game...ZSS especially. Pikachu is easier, but I wouldn't suggest picking up either unless you want to put in A LOT of work with them.

SHAWDY

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShawdyLink
They are probably the two most complex characters to learn in the game...ZSS especially. Pikachu is easier, but I wouldn't suggest picking up either unless you want to put in A LOT of work with them.
I just want to get better with Link and if I really really can't do it with Link then I will pick up another character.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu has a ridiculous amount of options he can choose from at all times. Partially based on his quick attack, but also the fact that every single one of his moves is viable. The ability to analyze each situation extremely quickly and pick the best option for any given situation makes him one of the most complicated characters in the game.

You may be like OH BUT MK AND WARIO HAVE SO MANY OPTIONS TOO FOR ANY GIVEN SITUATION! Yes, this is true, however, there is generally a very clear option that is much better than the rest for the situations. This is not true with Pikachu. Its also not something you can just learn by watching other people play pikachu, you have to experience it yourself and figure out your own ideas of whats the best option.

At least thats why I find pikachu to be very complicated.

This doesn't even include all the random *** things he can do to certain characters. CG's, QAL. etc. You just have to have a lot of knowledge of the game in general to play him at a high level. Which is true for every character, but I feel its more so true for pikachu.

Zeonix

Smash Apprentice
I play FOW on a regular basis, and i can tell you that Ness vs Pikachu is not fun for pikachu lol, magnet cancelling destroys your projectile game, no grab releases and ness has more range/priority and a much higher kill potential.

I completely agree, Pikachu must use different tactics in the Ness AND Lucas matchup. I'm personally more familiar with Lucas.

Thor

Smash Champion
This MU chart is not what I expected...Any reason Snake is +2 in the "official" chart, vs 50-50 here? Or that Olimar is easier than G&W (which even at my level, I flat-out do not believe)? Or Olimar easier than Marth (which I also don't believe - maybe each equally hard but not Olimar easier)?

Also I'm pretty sure Pikachu can grab release -> something on Ness, maybe not but it still can allow you a pressure situation (you can think it out while pummeling and they have to react quickly, you can bait at high percents to try to force a spotdodge, etc.).

EDIT: SHAWDY, you're not the first to want to prove people wrong about Link and you won't be the last, but if you want to try to play highly competitive Smash, Link isn't going to get you that far at the top end. I'd recommend at least trying Falco (or MK or maybe Marth?) - his recovery isn't much better than Link's but he's still got a nice projectile and some fairly easy to learn tricks (chaingrab among others), some of which (like DACUSing) you might already be able to do. And who knows, maybe picking up a high tier will let you see what's "wrong" with Link so you can cover his issues that much better, and possibly switch back.

PedroSmashFan2014

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1313-2178
I think Pikachu´s matchup against Kirby should be 55:45 for Pikachu!
Also Lucas should be at least 70:30 for Pikachu...
ZSS 55:45;
I also think that Pikachu has an slight advantage over MK...

Top Bottom