• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Importance Tiers

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I could've told you that one.

The fact that -are- the original 12 makes them important however. They already have their fans.
Yet there would be a more dramatic outcry if certain characters were taken.

If you removed Mario, or Link.
Do you think you would get the shame shouts if you removed Falcon or Ness?
Due to Smash's existance you'd get A lot of noise from fans about Falcon and Ness, but it couldn't compare to Link and Mario.
They are more important to Smash.
Perhaps I overrated Ganondorf.
However another Look.
If you Removed Ganondorf in SSB4 (and lets say mewtwo had stuck with us in Brawl) who would get a stronger outcry?
Mewtwo's fanbase are people who grew up with pokemon/liked the series mostly (not everyone liked him for those reasons) however Ganondorf is in many ways 1 of Nintendo's All-stars he's been with them for quite a long period of time now.
I believe if you removed the dorf, you'd get a stronger outcry than Mewtwo.
Dorf is more important than mewtwo.

You'd get more hate if you removed Samus than Yoshi (apparently), but you'd get even more if you removed Mario or Link.

Theres enough difference in the original 12, you shouldn't be grouping them all as one.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I could've told you that one.

The fact that -are- the original 12 makes them important however. They already have their fans.
Not necessarily. I would argue that Gannondorf and Bowser are more important than jigglypuff at least due to being the main villians of Nintendo's main franchises whereas jiglypuff is just some pokemon put in to please japanese fans. Captain Falcon and Ness MIGHT be slightly important than G-Dorf and Bowser as well due to being main characters from relativley obscure games, moreso Ness. C'mon, do you really think Nintendo would ever say that Earthbound is a vital IP?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
.If you remove Ness from Smash I'm going "aww that sucks". Why because well during the whole "prophet" period of Brawl, it was rumoured Ness may leave and you know what impressions were "Aww that sucks....k bring in Lucas." some were going "Aww that sucks...do we get Sonic!?"

If you told people Ganondorf was not making it back.
"WHAT THE HELL!"

earthbound is a Cult hit, thats not to say it's not good >.> but eh...ya.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Now, a list based on SSE importance:

GOD:

King Dedede

TOP:

R.O.B.
Mr. Game & Watch
Sonic
Kirby
Ganondorf
Meta Knight

HIGH:

Lucas
Diddy Kong
Fox
Bowser
Pokemon Trainer
Snake
Wario

MIDDLE:

Ness
Luigi
Zelda/Sheik
Peach
Ike
Falco
Samus/ZSS
Captain Falcon
Donkey Kong

LOW:

Pit
Marth
Link
Pikachu
Mario
Yoshi
Lucario

BOTTOM:

Ice Climbers
Olimar
Toon Link
Jigglypuff
Wolf

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Sonic and Kirby don't belong there.

Dedede, Ganondorf and Game & Watch are all equally important, if not G&W more than DDD.
The events of SSE are only plausibe due to G&W and Ganondorf. DDD just saved the day at the end....though the only reason a day needed saving was those 2 (though G&W wasn't as big as Ganondorf and DDD).

Sonic was nothing, your overrating him he helped slightly, but eh they knew what they were walking in too.
Kirby!?
KIRBY!?
No.

Theres no way in hell R.O.B is more important than Ganondorf.
R.O.B Worked FOR Ganondorf.
Without Ganondorf R.O.B isn't even an issue period.

God Tier
DDD/Ganon (same level, as both roles are very important, yet DDD's is more subtle)

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
The original 12 is GOD TIER. No character is more important than them, period.

Melee characters are High Tier.

Brawl characters are Low Tier.
^^THIS

If the brawl chars were important they would have been added in melee or 64. Don't bring up the "They don't want clones!!!" or "This char was supposed to be in" debate because that shows that they weren't important enough. Do you think they would do that with Mario? No, because he was important enough that people would be mad without him being in.

Yes some chars like IC may be an exception...

Sonic and Kirby don't belong there.

Dedede, Ganondorf and Game & Watch are all equally important, if not G&W more than DDD.
The events of SSE are only plausibe due to G&W and Ganondorf. DDD just saved the day at the end....though the only reason a day needed saving was those 2 (though G&W wasn't as big as Ganondorf and DDD).

Sonic was nothing, your overrating him he helped slightly, but eh they knew what they were walking in too.
Kirby!?
KIRBY!?
No.

Theres no way in hell R.O.B is more important than Ganondorf.
R.O.B Worked FOR Ganondorf.
Without Ganondorf R.O.B isn't even an issue period.

God Tier
DDD/Ganon (same level, as both roles are very important, yet DDD's is more subtle)
Ganondorf was a puppet. He didn't do anyting but what tabuu wanted (I'm not putting spoilers, everyone should have beat that by now). If we don't count tabuu then that ruins your whole point on ROB working for Ganon.

Kirby saved half the cast because "he was hungry" -_- (which I find reeeeaaaallly stupid).
ROB and sonic should be lower.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
^^THIS

If the brawl chars were important they would have been added in melee or 64. Don't bring up the "They don't want clones!!!" or "This char was supposed to be in" debate because that shows that they weren't important enough. Do you think they would do that with Mario? No, because he was important enough that people would be mad without him being in.

Yes some chars like IC may be an exception...
-:bowser:Bowser King
Do you really think that Dedede and Wario are unimportant? The rival of Nintendo's mascot and the nemesis of another of Ninty's big franchises? Are you really expecting me to believe that Ridley and K.Rool are less important than Pichu, Pit, or Ice Climbers? I mean, those two aren't even playable yet! Yep, there's no way the main villians of Metroid and DKC could ever match the impact of Roy!

Hive

Smash Lord
@Frown
@HeroMystic
lol <shrugs> yea I guess sonic doesn't really go there lol XP oops, I think I was just thinking of the most popular characters at first.

Tosh

Smash Rookie
The original 12 is GOD TIER. No character is more important than them, period.

Melee characters are High Tier.

Brawl characters are Low Tier.
Not exactly, Snake and Meta Knight are pretty good.
Toon link (my personal favorite) isnt the best, but he's pretty decent.
In personal opinion i dont really have a top cuz I use random alot ;P but a worst for me would have to be Yoshi :( i like him as a character, but i dont think hes very good
Lucario is decent, but i dont like him in brawl =D

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not exactly, Snake and Meta Knight are pretty good.
Toon link (my personal favorite) isnt the best, but he's pretty decent.
In personal opinion i dont really have a top cuz I use random alot ;P but a worst for me would have to be Yoshi :( i like him as a character, but i dont think hes very good
Lucario is decent, but i dont like him in brawl =D
Meta Knight is BAN-ABLE good

Anyway, the point of this thread is to make up what people would WANT as tiers, based not on how the character actually preforms in Brawl...but what they feel they should have based on importance

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Please note what I've italicized. The following list will order character based on how NINTENDO values their characters currently. A character may have been important to Nintendo before, but trust me, those things change, and Nintendo's actions reflect that.

Character Importance to Nintendo at the present time:

S - Valued Highly
A - Valued
B - Valued Slightly
C - Not Valued
D - Milked Dry
E - Unimportant
F - Forgotten
--
Mario - S
Link - S
Pikachu - S
Samus - S
--
Pokemon Trainer - A
Wario - A
Luigi - A
Peach - A
Kirby - A
Bowser - A
Ganondorf - A
Zelda - A
Marth - A
Olimar - A
--
Yoshi - B
Sonic - B
Toon Link - B
Lucario - B
Donkey Kong - B
Metaknight - B
Diddy Kong - B
King DeDeDe - B
R.O.B. - B
--
Zero Suit Samus - C
Captain Falcon - C
Sheik - C
Fox - C
Pit - C
Ike - C
--
Jigglypuff - D
Mr. Game and Watch - D
Ice Climbers - D
--
Wolf - E
Falco - E
Snake - E
--
Ness - F
Lucas - F
--
WHAT?! That list is stupid!!! Original 8/12 are OBVIOUSLY the most important! You don't know what you're talking about!

No, I addressed what matters. A character's importance to Nintendo right now. Not Sakurai's value of importance. Not how big of a fanbase cult following they have. Not how important to Nintendo they used to be. How much Nintendo cares about such a character right now is what I've shown.

But...but Ness & Lucas aren't forgotten!!! Sure they are. Nintendo won't be trying to do anything with them. Lucas isn't even going to be brought to the US by Nintendo. Sure, you've got the cult fanbases making the translations for you. Doesn't matter. Ness and Lucas are done. Sakurai might like them and feel the need to plug them in, but Sakurai doesn't represent Nintendo at all. If Sakurai had cut Ness and didn't even bother to add Lucas, do you really think Nintendo would have stepped in? No, they wouldn't. Ness and Lucas are non-existant to them, they don't plan on getting any more money from those two characters.

Fine! But you've obviously biased against Star Fox!
Funny, that I'm biased against one of my favourite series, I guess that explains why I put Pikachu in D rank. Oh wait, no I didn't. This is hardly bias, this is reality. Star Fox might as well be 3rd Party to Nintendo at this point. Sure they used to be valued but Nintendo doesn't want to waste the time or resources making a Star Fox game anymore, so they continually place someone else in charge of the game, such as Namco for Star Fox: Assualt. Fox is not valued by Nintendo, it's silly to think such a thing. If a Star Fox game never appears, Nintendo wouldn't really care, they don't really care. If someone else is willing to make a Star Fox game for them, they'd be fine with that, but they aren't going to going out of their way for Star Fox, it's become increasingly more obvious that the series is no longer a tier giant such as Mario, Metroid, or Zelda. Falco and Wolf are laughable, Nintendo could care less if whoever makes the next Star Fox puts either of those characters in. Write them out some clever way and Nintendo wouldn't mind.

Sonic!?!? He's not even a Nintendo character!!! How could Nintendo find him important?? Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are all aware of the importance of Sonic. He gets them money, and plenty of it. If the Sega Team has an idea for a Sonic game, no one is going to want to pass it up. That's a terrible move, Sonic sells. Nintendo values Sonic for the money he gets them. In fact, they value him more than Sony and Microsoft due thanks to the 'rivalry' that was established between him and Mario. They can milk that better than Sony and Microsoft can, allowing them to obtain 3rd party exclusives such as the Olympic Games. Sonic is obviously valued by Nintendo, easily more than those below him, don't lie to yourselves by saying that since he isn't a Nintendo character that Nintendo doesn't value him.
----
I'm not finished, I'll write out more later. But trust me, the list is very accurate. I hate to say it, but if you have a major disagreement, you're probably wrong. If you have a small disagreement, the difference is probably pretty subtle. But please try to think in the same mindset when trying to point something out. I don't care about Sakurai's opinions, he isn't Nintendo. I don't care about the opinions of the fans, it's silly to judge those when it's much better to judge Nintendo's response to them.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
pt A is cool. no pokemon is more important than the original 151, and the starters were more important than anyone but mewtwo and pikachu.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Zero Suit Samus - C
One thing I should note, and you may find it "pretty subtle," but Zero Suit Samus basically is Samus without the Power Suit. Perhaps you should place Zero Suit Samus where Samus is. Write it out as: Samus/Zero Suit Samus. It's just a thought. Zero Suit Samus has only appeared in Metroid: Zero Mission as a playable character for a short period, but since then, Nintendo has been showing Samus outside of her Power Suit with the Zero Suit on, such as Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Looks good, but I have two disagreements.

I think Zero Suit Samus should be grouped with Samus in S tier, as she's really an extension of Samus's character. It would be like putting Super Sonic and Sonic in different tiers, IMO.

Also, I would put Fox in the bottom of "B" tier. Nintendo may not be making Star Fox games in-house anymore, but I feel that the fact that He got 3 games all in the gamecube's lifespan shows that Nintendo at least cares a little. And besides, I'm sure Iwata or the higher-ups at Nintendo have some sort of final say in who gets in Brawl, so I'm sure Wolf (another starfox character) getting in counts for something

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Looks good, but I have two disagreements.

I think Zero Suit Samus should be grouped with Samus in S tier, as she's really an extension of Samus's character. It would be like putting Super Sonic and Sonic in different tiers, IMO.

Also, I would put Fox in the bottom of "B" tier. Nintendo may not be making Star Fox games in-house anymore, but I feel that the fact that He got 3 games all in the gamecube's lifespan shows that Nintendo at least cares a little. And besides, I'm sure Iwata or the higher-ups at Nintendo have some sort of final say in who gets in Brawl, so I'm sure Wolf (another starfox character) getting in counts for something
Super Sonic and Sonic have been in different tiers every game they have been in where you could select them separately and compete against each other...

Frown

poekmon
Please note what I've italicized. The following list will order character based on how NINTENDO values their characters currently. A character may have been important to Nintendo before, but trust me, those things change, and Nintendo's actions reflect that.

Character Importance to Nintendo at the present time:

S - Valued Highly
A - Valued
B - Valued Slightly
C - Not Valued
D - Milked Dry
E - Unimportant
F - Forgotten
--
Mario - S
Link - S
Pikachu - S
Samus - S
--
Pokemon Trainer - A
Wario - A
Luigi - A
Peach - A
Kirby - A
Bowser - A
Ganondorf - A
Zelda - A
Marth - A
Olimar - A
--
Yoshi - B
Sonic - B
Toon Link - B
Lucario - B
Donkey Kong - B
Metaknight - B
Diddy Kong - B
King DeDeDe - B
R.O.B. - B
--
Zero Suit Samus - C
Captain Falcon - C
Sheik - C
Fox - C
Pit - C
Ike - C
--
Jigglypuff - D
Mr. Game and Watch - D
Ice Climbers - D
--
Wolf - E
Falco - E
Snake - E
--
Ness - F
Lucas - F
--
WHAT?! That list is stupid!!! Original 8/12 are OBVIOUSLY the most important! You don't know what you're talking about!

No, I addressed what matters. A character's importance to Nintendo right now. Not Sakurai's value of importance. Not how big of a fanbase cult following they have. Not how important to Nintendo they used to be. How much Nintendo cares about such a character right now is what I've shown.

But...but Ness & Lucas aren't forgotten!!! Sure they are. Nintendo won't be trying to do anything with them. Lucas isn't even going to be brought to the US by Nintendo. Sure, you've got the cult fanbases making the translations for you. Doesn't matter. Ness and Lucas are done. Sakurai might like them and feel the need to plug them in, but Sakurai doesn't represent Nintendo at all. If Sakurai had cut Ness and didn't even bother to add Lucas, do you really think Nintendo would have stepped in? No, they wouldn't. Ness and Lucas are non-existant to them, they don't plan on getting any more money from those two characters.

Fine! But you've obviously biased against Star Fox!
Funny, that I'm biased against one of my favourite series, I guess that explains why I put Pikachu in D rank. Oh wait, no I didn't. This is hardly bias, this is reality. Star Fox might as well be 3rd Party to Nintendo at this point. Sure they used to be valued but Nintendo doesn't want to waste the time or resources making a Star Fox game anymore, so they continually place someone else in charge of the game, such as Namco for Star Fox: Assualt. Fox is not valued by Nintendo, it's silly to think such a thing. If a Star Fox game never appears, Nintendo wouldn't really care, they don't really care. If someone else is willing to make a Star Fox game for them, they'd be fine with that, but they aren't going to going out of their way for Star Fox, it's become increasingly more obvious that the series is no longer a tier giant such as Mario, Metroid, or Zelda. Falco and Wolf are laughable, Nintendo could care less if whoever makes the next Star Fox puts either of those characters in. Write them out some clever way and Nintendo wouldn't mind.

Sonic!?!? He's not even a Nintendo character!!! How could Nintendo find him important?? Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are all aware of the importance of Sonic. He gets them money, and plenty of it. If the Sega Team has an idea for a Sonic game, no one is going to want to pass it up. That's a terrible move, Sonic sells. Nintendo values Sonic for the money he gets them. In fact, they value him more than Sony and Microsoft due thanks to the 'rivalry' that was established between him and Mario. They can milk that better than Sony and Microsoft can, allowing them to obtain 3rd party exclusives such as the Olympic Games. Sonic is obviously valued by Nintendo, easily more than those below him, don't lie to yourselves by saying that since he isn't a Nintendo character that Nintendo doesn't value him.
----
I'm not finished, I'll write out more later. But trust me, the list is very accurate. I hate to say it, but if you have a major disagreement, you're probably wrong. If you have a small disagreement, the difference is probably pretty subtle. But please try to think in the same mindset when trying to point something out. I don't care about Sakurai's opinions, he isn't Nintendo. I don't care about the opinions of the fans, it's silly to judge those when it's much better to judge Nintendo's response to them.
WHAT?! That list is stupid!!! Original 8/12 are OBVIOUSLY the most important!

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Jigglypuff is important to Nintendo, Jiggles is basically a Japanese Pikachu (mascot wise), I believe Pikachu is still more popular there but ...they love the jiggles over there.
Wario over Ganondorf?
Notice how scared Nintendo is to make a Zelda game without Ganondorf?

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong should be the third highest character in any importance list after Mario and Pikachu. The three Donkey Kong Country games are arguably the best platformers Nintendo has ever created (after Super Mario Bros of course). And Donkey Kong is a staple in EVERY Mario sports/party game. And if I recall correctly, DK is the 4th highest gross series owned by Nintendo. He should DEFINITELY be above Samus. Not so sure about Link because I just love DK a lot more than I do Link.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Technically, DK should be at the top. Without him, we wouldn't have Mario.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I actually agree with ROB's place. I've seen him make cameo appearences in several games in recent memory, such as Wario Ware: Twisted and Smooth Moves, Mario Kart DS, and now Brawl. So Nintendo does care about him.

Top Bottom