• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

ZelDan

Smash Master
What would be the best way to give Crash moves that stand out from other characters like him? Most fanmovesets are all very samey and while I can see him having more over the top versions of typical moves, is there anything beyond just spinning and sliding he can pull from?
I know Crash gets a Wumpa bazooka in crash 3 which would definitely be part of his moveset I'd think.

he also had a jetpack in Crash 2 which could be his recovery.

if they wanted to get creative they could give him a Wario-esque side special where he rides a hog or polar bear.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Tried to make my own moveset for Crash, which I believe represents him very well.

Jab/F-tilt/N-air: His signature spin attack. A move-and-strike technique that is similar to Mega Man and Steve. While it doesn’t deal much damage, it can be mashed and has immense kill power, but overuse (i.e. Using this 5 times in quick succession) will invoke a “slow-stop” animation where Crash attempts to maintain balance.
Dash attack: Crash tumbles face-first onto the ground, ramming his head into all enemies in front of himself.
U-tilt: Crash jumps up with a clenched fist and shouts, “YEE-HAH!”, striking anybody in his way. Based on his victory animation after defeating a boss in the original Crash 1.
D-tilt: Crash performs his Slide Attack.
Side Smash: Crash lifts a normal wooden crate, winds up, and throws it in front of himself, much like in the Battle Mode in Crash Bash. If standing near a dropped crate, Crash will throw that crate instead.
Up Smash: Crash lifts an Arrow Crate and throws it upwards, dealing very little damage for a Smash attack, but causing extra knockback on hit.
Down Smash: Crash winds up both his fists much like Sonic’s Side Smash, then smashes both of them into the ground on both sides, much like Donkey Kong’s DSmash.
Grab: Crash spins in place with open hands, much like in Crash Twinsanity. This is the only grab that reaches both sides. For his pummel, he’ll smash his face into the opponent in a cartoonish manner, which peels off his face like tape every time.
F-throw: Crash spins the opponent in his grip and throws it forwards, slightly similar to that of Crash Twinsanity.
B-throw: Crash whizzes behind the opponent and does a two-handed push behind them, much like how he pushes Cortex before some snowboard levels in Crash Twinsanity.
D-throw: Crash lifts the opponent and tosses them into the floor, causing them to splat cartoonishly before bouncing off the ground.
U-throw: Crash throws an opponent on top of a Nitro Crate and causes it to explode, creating a large explosion that launches the opponent upwards.
F-air: Crash performs a stretching drop-kick similar to one of the attacks he does in Crash of the Titans.
D-air: Crash plummets downwards with a Body Slam, meteor smashing anyone beneath himself. If striking the ground, he will create an impact that can damage all nearby enemies.
B-air: Crash performs a split-kick similar to what he does for his Crouch Jump.
U-air: Crash throws an Arrow Crate above himself and kicks it upwards, propelling it upwards and breaking on contact.
Neutral B: Fruit Bazooka: By tapping B, Crash arms himself with the Fruit Bazooka, and enters a state where he can aim, much like Inkling’s Splattershot. Unlike Inkling, however, Crash can only fire by tapping B and has a limited amount of Wumpa Fruits he can fire. He can cancel out this move by jumping, dodging, or shielding.
Side B: Polar Prance: Crash hops onto Polar, the polar bear friend he has had since Crash 2, who begins running forwards like Wario’s Bike or Steve’s Minecart. The thing that stands out compared to Wario and Steve is the fact that Polar can jump while active, allowing for some amazing evasion tactics. Attempting to double jump with Polar results in Crash hopping off of the little polar bear.
Up B: Jet Pack: The back-mounted propulsion system from Crash 2 serves as a similar recovery to R.O.B.’s Up-B, however, he can still use his Spin Attack while propelling upwards.
Down B: Crate Drop: Much like Steve, Crash can place Crates down on-stage. Unlike Steve’s blocks, they do not degrade over time, and have different properties based on which Crate is dropped, which can be one of the following in a Monado Wheel-style menu:
  • Basic Crate: A simple wooden crate. Breaking this crate drops Wumpa Fruits that can be used to replenish Fruit Bazooka.
  • Iron Crate: A stronger crate that is indestructible. Only one of these can be out at a time and will disappear after 10 seconds.
  • TNT Crate: A timed-explosive crate that will detonate after 3 seconds, essentially being a weaker version of Steve’s TNT.
  • Nitro Crate: An instant-explosive crate. Striking this crate in any way shape or form will instantly detonate it, being more powerful than the TNT Crate.
Final Smash: Aku Aku TNT Run: Crash dons Aku Aku and bolts forwards. Any opponents in range will trigger a cutscene: all opponents land on a jungle environment surrounded by Nitro Crates. Far away is the Aku Aku-toting Crash Bandicoot, who smashes through a TNT Crate that explodes after counting down from 3 and explodes, causing a chain-reaction of explosions that are close behind the still-running Crash. Crash then smashes through the caught opponents before the explosions catch up to them, blasting them in a manner similar to House of Boom.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So I'd be curious to know: obviously N. Sanity Beach should be the stage, but for the sake of it, what are some other potentially fun Crash stages? I'm asking this since N. Sanity Beach is such a universally-accepted choice that I never really got to have much of a look at what else he could bring in terms of stages. So while I do think NSB is the best pick, I just wanna get a feel for the larger scope of the Cash Banooca setting. See what else could be interesting.

Noms: Axel Stone x5

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So I'd be curious to know: obviously N. Sanity Beach should be the stage, but for the sake of it, what are some other potentially fun Crash stages? I'm asking this since N. Sanity Beach is such a universally-accepted choice that I never really got to have much of a look at what else he could bring in terms of stages. So while I do think NSB is the best pick, I just wanna get a feel for the larger scope of the Cash Banooca setting. See what else could be interesting.

A CTR stage would be pretty good IMO. Papu's Pyramid would be my first choice.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I'm personally thinking N. Sanity Island as a Spiral Mountain-style traveling stage where a different side of the island is a different layout on the mountain, with some other islands being seen off in the distance.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ll repost my question because it was buried in a spoiler tag of my joke post on the last page.

For my question, what do you guys want to see for his reveal trailer? I would personally love to see a continuation of the old PS1 commercial where he goes to Nintendo’s HQ and calls out Mario. It would be hilarious if Mario and the other Smash characters actually came out and they started fighting. It would basically be a hybrid of the Smash 64 commercial and the Crash commercial.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I’ll repost my question because it was buried in a spoiler tag of my joke post on the last page.

For my question, what do you guys want to see for his reveal trailer? I would personally love to see a continuation of the old PS1 commercial where he goes to Nintendo’s HQ and calls out Mario. It would be hilarious if Mario and the other Smash characters actually came out and they started fighting. It would basically be a hybrid of the Smash 64 commercial and the Crash commercial.

Your idea sounds like a great one; it'd be hilarious, too. XD

GolisoPower

Smash Master

That would most certainly be the spectacle.

"Hey, Plumber Boy, Mustache Man, remember me? Yeah you do! Your worst nightmare has returned! And this time he means business! I'm calling you out to show who's really on top now, fat boy! Or are you too chicken to do that?"

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The only time I’ve played any Crash Bandicoot was a store demo of the original game so I’m not really overly familiar with much of it. I imagine Crash probably has some cool music but I can’t picture a single song from it. What are some examples of music you’d like to see make it in?

Technomage

Smash Champion
The only time I’ve played any Crash Bandicoot was a store demo of the original game so I’m not really overly familiar with much of it. I imagine Crash probably has some cool music but I can’t picture a single song from it. What are some examples of music you’d like to see make it in?
Here's a couple I'd like to see:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'd like to see the music from the Polar levels in Crash 2, the hog-riding music in Crash 1, and Crash Banji-kyuusu. Though, I dunno if Banana Ice might allow that one.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's a WoL area I thought of for Crash; the Time Twister!
  • Based off its appearance in Warped
  • Has three areas representing the Naughty Dog trilogy
  • 6 Spirits per area, the last of which is that area's boss
    • Like in Warped, you can fight each Spirit in any order, but winning every battle is necessary to beating the boss and moving on
  • Cortex appears in the center after each area is cleared out, and Crash appears for you to rescue after Cortex's defeat

Time Twister Battles

Crash 1 area

• Papu Papu
  • Ripper Roo
  • Koala Kong
  • Pinstrip Potoroo
  • X Parasite
  • Dr. N. Brio (boss)
Crash 2 area
  • Dr. Lobe
  • Komodo Bros.
  • Tiny Tiger
  • Mecha Ridley
  • Elite Beat Divas
  • Dr. N. Gin (boss)
Crash 3 area
  • Karel
  • Dingodile
  • Dialga
  • Warrior Mech Gauss
  • Dr. Eggman
  • Dr. N. Tropy (boss)
Center
  • Dr. Neo Cortex (boss)
  • Crash Bandicoot (Fighter Battle)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I just want some Twinsanity music - for Twinsanity they got this really talented acapella band, and their music is so good that it's easy to forget it's all human vocals.

amageish

Smash Master

Ending Smash Ultimate with a live-action trailer where a bunch of cosplayers in mascot suits punch each other in the face sounds like an amazing timeline tbh. I will now be disappointed if Crash gets in and this isn't how it happens.

Anyway, my Crash knowledge primarily comes from Crash 4, a game that I (i) really enjoyed and (ii) really wish was better optimized for my vanilla PS4.

So, here's my question. We all know that there are, of course, only 4 Crash games, but, if there hypothetically was more then 4 Crash games, then how would you like to see the representation divided up between the games?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Ending Smash Ultimate with a live-action trailer where a bunch of cosplayers in mascot suits punch each other in the face sounds like an amazing timeline tbh. I will now be disappointed if Crash gets in and this isn't how it happens.

Anyway, my Crash knowledge primarily comes from Crash 4, a game that I (i) really enjoyed and (ii) really wish was better optimized for my vanilla PS4.

So, here's my question. We all know that there are, of course, only 4 Crash games, but, if there hypothetically was more then 4 Crash games, then how would you like to see the representation divided up between the games?
Focus on the OG trilogy and 4, but still try to give the "lesser" games some rep where necessary, like a jab from the Titans games; Humiliskate as a forward throw; WoC and Twinsanity music; Nina and Crunch as Spirits; so on.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I just want some Twinsanity music - for Twinsanity they got this really talented acapella band, and their music is so good that it's easy to forget it's all human vocals.
Ah, I forgot about that stuff; I'd also like for this theme to come with Crash:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know Crash gets a Wumpa bazooka in crash 3 which would definitely be [art of his moveset I'd think.

he also had a jetpack in Crash 2 which could be his recovery.

if they wanted to get creative they could give him a Wario-esque side special where he rides a hog or polar bear.
Sorry, I meant in terms of normals, should have made that clear

ZelDan

Smash Master
Sorry, I meant in terms of normals, should have made that clear
Oh

yeah, I'm drawing blanks on that myself and am having a hard time thinking of anything beyond your typical punches and kicks. Only thing I can think of is that maybe one of his smash attacks could have him bash a wooden crate over an opponents's head? Crash himself would get hit in the head by all crates he broke on the collection screen at the end of any level in crash 1 and 4 IIRC, so maybe they could reference that?

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman

Interrupting a fight between Mario and Sonic seems the most fitting to me, given he was basically Sony's answer to them.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Well that was certainly something lol. I never really expected anything like that from Crash. Now I’m a little curious if there was any story reasoning for it or they just wanted to be random and weird.
Hmmm, I don't recall any story reasons for it; it probably is just a random gag (either that or that's actually an actor playing Crash).

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hey, uh, so quick question:

I know I had an "Aku Aku TNT Run" as the Final Smash in my moveset, but what other kinds of candidates for a Final Smash could there be?

amageish

Smash Master
You know what else has the challenge of 106% completion? The Noms list!

Does that make sense? No, but also 106% doesn't make sense as a number, so, you know...

50+ noms
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x140
Chosen Undead - x125
Maxwell - x110
Sarah Kerrigan - x110
Frisk - x99
Gran/Djeeta - x85
Amaterasu - x85

Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Lu Bu - x65
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65

26-50 noms
Jill Stingray - x50
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Monika - x30

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Ryza - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15
Klonoa - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Bubsy - x10
Bill & Lance - x10
Sir Arthur - x10
Scorpion - x8
Axel Stone - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3
Chun-Li - x1
Shantae - x1

A lot of regulars haven't done their noms today yet, but I'll just add those in the next list.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I know I already posted a moveset for Crash, but since nobody posted BrawlFan1's moveset for Crash...

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Does that make sense? No, but also 106% doesn't make sense as a number, so, you know...

50+ noms
Chosen Undead - x125
Maxwell - x110
Sarah Kerrigan - x110
Frisk - x99
Gran/Djeeta - x85
Amaterasu - x85

Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Lu Bu - x65
Laharl - x65

26-50 noms
Jill Stingray - x50
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Monika - x30

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Ryza - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15
Klonoa - x15

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Bubsy - x10
Bill & Lance - x10
Sir Arthur - x10
Scorpion - x8
Axel Stone - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3
Chun-Li - x1
Shantae - x1

A lot of regulars haven't done their noms today yet, but I'll just add those in the next list.
We didn’t have any nominations since the previous day was just a post E3 discussion right?

GolisoPower

Smash Master

50+ noms
Chosen Undead - x125
Maxwell - x110
Sarah Kerrigan - x110
Frisk - x99
Gran/Djeeta - x85
Amaterasu - x85

Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Lu Bu - x65
Laharl - x65

26-50 noms
Jill Stingray - x50
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Monika - x30

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Ryza - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15
Klonoa - x15

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Bubsy - x10
Bill & Lance - x10
Sir Arthur - x10
Scorpion - x8
Axel Stone - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3
Chun-Li - x1
Shantae - x1

All mine on Monika.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Just a heads up that I’m going to be a little late today with my big Magus intro post. I’ve got a few errands I need to run after I get out of work today but I have a lot to share when I get back.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Alright, then!

Technomage x20 (25 Total)
Cutie Gwen x5 (10 Total)
Paraster x5 (10 Total)
Gengar84 x15 (20 Total)
Perkilator x15 (20 Total)
GolisoPower x30 (35 Total)
ZelDan x10 (15 Total)
Speed Weed x5 (10 Total)
Wario Wario Wario x5 (10 Total)
amageish x5 (10 Total)

Uh, I guess I'll put my noms toward a Zero Escape rep.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Oh and I don’t know if it’s still up to me but if you guys feel like discussing Chrono Trigger in general instead of just Magus, that’s fine with me. I’m going to focus on Magus because he’s my favorite character but I’m down for any Chrono Trigger discussion in general if you feel there isn’t enough to say about Magus in particular.

I’m going to have to head out for a few hours so it might be for the best to go with the option with more to talk about while I’m gone.

x20 Lu Bu

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Oh and I don’t know if it’s still up to me but if you guys feel like discussing Chrono Trigger in general instead of just Magus, that’s fine with me. I’m going to focus on Magus because he’s my favorite character but I’m down for any Chrono Trigger discussion in general if you feel there isn’t enough to say about Magus in particular.

x20 Lu Bu
Yeah, generally if a series doesn't have a fighter yet we can treat their day as just a general day for the series. I'd actually encourage inquiring about alternate reps for different games, assuming there are ones. Of course, Magus probably is an alternate rep.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

I’m going to have to head out for a few hours so it might be for the best to go with the option with more to talk about while I’m gone.

x20 Lu Bu
It's time for the Frog Agenda to rise!

But I guess we'll start with Magus for now (even though Crono is undoubtedly the Crono Trigger rep if we do ever get one). It's been decades since I've touched Crono Trigger, and I'm not even sure I ever beat it, but I do remember Magus having lots of dark magic alongside his scythe stuff. I kinda envision him being somewhat similar to Ganondorf as a heavy with a big extended hitbox weapon, but with some extra zoning tools as well.

Noms:
x5 Jill Stingray

Top Bottom