• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Technomage

Smash Champion
Out of curiousity, what would a Battletoads Spirit Battle look like (assuming none of them were playable)?
On a similar note to spirits, how about a spirit board? Here's my ideas (assuming all three BT's will be fighter spirits):

The Dark Queen (it'd have to be the 2020 version, since Sakurai will not add the original version)
UTO and PIA
Professor T. Bird
Princess Angelica
General Slaughter
Porkshank
Robo-Manus

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
On a similar note to spirits, how about a spirit board? Here's my ideas (assuming all three BT's will be fighter spirits):

The Dark Queen (it'd have to be the 2020 version, since Sakurai will not add the original version)
UTO and PIA
Professor T. Bird
Princess Angelica
General Slaughter
Porkshank
Robo-Manus
I agree with this. You’ve pretty much nailed most of the important characters. I think I would probably add Blag as well. You could potentially also throw in a Billy and Jimmy Lee spirit to reference their crossover game with Double Dragon as well.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I agree with this. You’ve pretty much nailed all the important characters. You could potentially also throw in a Billy and Jimmy Lee spirit to reference their crossover game with Double Dragon as well.
Yeah, I have considered adding characters from that crossover, but since DD is owned by ArcSys and not Rareware, I'm not sure Sakurai would consider it worthwhile to pay extra licensing fees, though he could still use that series for a spirit event. Still a great idea; maybe you could change my mind about its likelyhood?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, I have considered adding characters from that crossover, but since DD is owned by ArcSys and not Rareware, I'm not sure Sakurai would consider it worthwhile to pay extra licensing fees, though he could still use that series for a spirit event. Still a great idea; maybe you could change my mind about its likelyhood?
Yeah I can’t really speak too much to the likelihood of Double Dragon content but I would love it. At the very least, I think a lot of the music in that game should be brought over to Smash. One point in its favor is that two songs from that game were remixed in the Battletoads reboot (the title theme and first stage).

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Yeah, that’s a good idea. You can scale them and change their stats to represent each Toad. Rash would be smaller, faster, and lighter than default Greninja while Pimple would be heavier, larger, and slower than Greninja.
Alright, let's see how it goes:
Pimple.png Rash.png Zitz.png Pimple, Rash and Zitz (Battletoads)
Class: ★★★
Type: Primary (Grab)
Slots: ⬡⬡⬡
Effect: N/A
  • Puppet Fighter: Giant :ultgreninja: (Color 4) and Tiny :ultgreninja: (Color 6)
    • Reinforcement: :ultgreninja: (Color 7)
  • Stage: Big Blue
  • Music Track: Mach Rider
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions:
    • Reinforcements appear during the battle

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright, let's see how it goes:
View attachment 318989View attachment 318990View attachment 318991Pimple, Rash and Zitz (Battletoads)
Class: ★★★
Type: Primary (Grab)
Slots: ⬡⬡⬡
Effect: N/A
  • Puppet Fighter: Giant :ultgreninja: (Color 4) and Tiny :ultgreninja:(Color 6)
    • Reinforcement: :ultgreninja: (Color 7)
  • Stage: Big Blue
  • Music Track: Mach Rider
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions:
    • Reinforcements appear during the battle
This is pretty much perfect in my opinion. I’d much rather have them as playable characters but this is a nice consolation prize.

I know it hasn't been asked yet but I might as well share some music I think would be great to bring into Smash:

This one has the entire OST for Battletoads and Double Dragon. Pretty much the entire soundtrack is great and I would love if most of it got into Smash but I especially love the Dark Queen battle theme (starting at 18:14)

Here are some other songs that would be great as well:

Finally, it would be great to get the iconic pause music when you pause the game in the Battletoads stage

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Sorry I've been off today. Battletoads would be a fun retro throwback! Seems like the main forms of content have been covered, so I'll ask a rarer one: What would your classic mode of choice for the toads be?

Anyway, you wanna know what else is getting a reboot by Dlala Studios? The Noms List!*

50+ noms
Chosen Undead - x125
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x120
Maxwell - x110
Sarah Kerrigan - x110
Gran/Djeeta - x85
Amaterasu - x85
Frisk - x79
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70

Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38
Jill Stingray - x35
Zero Escape Rep - x30

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Ryza - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x20
Monika - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15
Klonoa - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Bubsy - x10
Bill & Lance - x10
Scorpion - x8
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3
Chun-Li - x1
Shantae - x1

*the noms list is not actually getting a video game adaptation, by Dlala Studios or otherwise

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Sorry I've been off today. Battletoads would be a fun retro throwback! Seems like the main forms of content have been covered, so I'll ask a rarer one: What would your classic mode of choice for the toads be?

Anyway, you wanna know what else is getting a reboot by Dlala Studios? The Noms List!*

50+ noms
Chosen Undead - x125
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x120
Maxwell - x110
Sarah Kerrigan - x110
Gran/Djeeta - x85
Amaterasu - x85
Frisk - x79
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70

Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38
Jill Stingray - x35
Zero Escape Rep - x30

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Ryza - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x20
Monika - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15
Klonoa - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Bubsy - x10
Bill & Lance - x10
Scorpion - x8
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3
Chun-Li - x1
Shantae - x1

*the noms list is not actually getting a video game adaptation, by Dlala Studios or otherwise
I'd call it "Kings of Karnage", named after one of the titles in the results screen for the Battletoads Arcade game. It'd be based on bosses from the NES, with R.O.B. as the Tall Walker, Bowser as Big Blag, a Metal Snake as Robo-Manus, Ganondorf as General Slaughter, Jigglypuff as the Hypnoorb, and Bayonetta as the Dark Queen herself.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Since I’m the one that nominated these guys, I haven’t asked a question yet. Do you guys think they would go with their classic designs or reboot designs? Which would you prefer? Personally, I would much prefer their classic designs. Thankfully, going by Mega Man, Simon, and Banjo, that is probably the most likely outcome as well.

It looks like I also forgot to nominate a character. I’ll do that now too.

x15 Lu Bu

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Since I’m the one that nominated these guys, I haven’t asked a question yet. Do you guys think they would go with their classic designs or reboot designs? Which would you prefer? Personally, I would much prefer their classic designs. Thankfully, going by Mega Man, Simon, and Banjo, that is probably the most likely outcome as well.

x15 Lu Bu
Classic works for alts imo but the reboot designs make them nore visually distinct which is also good if you ask me

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Everywhere I look I see hate for the redesigns but honestly, I like them. Maybe just add the spiky knee pads and they’re good to go.

Grab attacks would totally use their tongues to pull in and toss foes.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Everywhere I look I see hate for the redesigns but honestly, I like them. Maybe just add the spiky knee pads and they’re good to go.

Grab attacks would totally use their tongues to pull in and toss foes.
I don’t hate their redesigns, I just prefer their classic ones. The eyebrows on the reboot designs always felt a little weird since they are toads and wouldn’t have hair.

Yeah, I think the tongue tether grab fits them really well and would be a good reference to their reboot move sets.

As far as using the classic designs as alts, that would be a little tricky since they have very different proportions but I suppose it could work if they had proportions somewhere in between the two.

Here was my original thought for their outfits:

Rash: Green with black spots (Genesis cover design)
Rash: Solid green (Battlemaniacs cover)
Pimple: Brown with black spots (Genesis cover)
Pimple: Solid brown (Battlemaniacs cover)
Pimple: Solid green (NES cover)
Zitz: Solid teal (arcade design)
Zitz: Lime green with black spots (Genesis cover)
Zitz: Solid tan (NES sprite)

This way, the toads would only need three models instead of the six they would need for their reboot designs. I would totally be fine replacing one outfit of each for their reboot appearances too. I’d probably cut Pimple and Rash’s Battlemaniacs designs and Zitz’s NES sprite for the reboot designs. I also left out Zitz’s solid lime green from Battlemaniacs as well as his and Rash’s solid green designs from the NES cover due to lack of space.

Here is a comparison between their reboot and classic designs for those that aren’t familiar with either.

1623667742200.jpeg

1623668182301.jpeg

1623668601252.png

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You know, I played through the whole game a few times and did not notice the eyebrows until you pointed them out.
Lol yeah I think I just see them all the time since they have been my brother’s favorite video game characters since we were kids and played their game on the NES. I think the reboot outfits could actually work really well as alts if you just took what they were wearing but left their core designs and proportions from the classic games. It would be more of a hybrid between their different appearances. I think that might even be ideal for their primary outfits and leave the purely classic designs for the alts.

Here is another image of my Brawl mods. These were pretty much what I envisioned their primary outfits to be but I made these before the reboot designs so it could be cool to incorporate some of those designs for their primary outfits.

1623673064335.png

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion

x15 Lu Bu
I'd pick their retro designs, since their proportions there are the same, meaning they could be alts. of one fighter. Though if their retro ones were picked, would they have voices (even if it's NOT their reboot voices)?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'd pick their retro designs, since their proportions there are the same, meaning they could be alts. of one fighter. Though if their retro ones were picked, would they have voices (even if it's NOT their reboot voices)?
That’s a good question. I think they would likely have voices even if they went with their classic designs since they also had voiced in the arcade game.

Another question is do you think they would use any moves from the reboot other than the tongue tether grab? I think Rash’s Killer Instinct moves captures classic Battletoads perfectly so I’d be fine with something similar even though I’d be open to a few more reboot references.

On a side note, never mention that the Battletoads or Microsoft character are possible on GameFAQs. I just made a topic over there explaining why I thought they might have a chance and everyone attacked me for just saying it might be possible.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

x15 Lu Bu
Yeah, based on Mega Man and Simon they'd probably mainly draw from their classic designs. That beings aid, I'd imagine they'd also incorporate some influences from their modern designs as well.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, based on Mega Man and Simon they'd probably mainly draw from their classic designs. That beings aid, I'd imagine they'd also incorporate some influences from their modern designs as well.
Yeah I think I’ve come around to the idea of using the base design for their appearance on the classic games while wearing the outfits from the reboot. Their classic outfits can be alts. This means we’d need six models but Bowser Jr. and Inklings exist so I don’t think it would be too much of an issue.

Technomage

Smash Champion
That’s a good question. I think they would likely have voices even if they went with their classic designs since they also had voiced in the arcade game.

Another question is do you think they would use any moves from the reboot other than the tongue tether grab? I think Rash’s Killer Instinct moves captures classic Battletoads perfectly so I’d be fine with something similar even though I’d be open to a few more reboot references.

On a side note, never mention that the Battletoads or Microsoft character are possible on GameFAQs. I just made a topic over there explaining why I thought they might have a chance and everyone attacked me for just saying it might be possible.
Hmmmm, I haven't thought about any moves from the reboot; maybe something involving Toadshambo (even if it's only in a taunt or victory pose)? That'd be a neat reference.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Hmmmm, I haven't thought about any moves from the reboot; maybe something involving Toadshambo (even if it's only in a taunt or victory pose)? That'd be a neat reference.
Yeah that could work well as a taunt. The other taunts could be Rash’s dance from Killer Instinct and their scared face when they encounter a boss in the classic games.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
To keep the conversation going, how many people here have played a Battletoads game before? Has anyone here ever actually beaten one? I’ve played every Battletoads game but I’ve only ever beaten Battletoads and Double Dragon and the arcade game. I personally think Battletoads and Double Dragon is the best game in the franchise. It was a ton of fun and was still challenging while still being possible to complete. It also had the best soundtrack overall in my opinion where every single song was amazing.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
To keep the conversation going, how many people here have played a Battletoads game before? Has anyone here ever actually beaten one? I’ve played every Battletoads game but I’ve only ever beaten Battletoads and Double Dragon and the arcade game. I think Battletoads and Double Dragon is the best Battletoads game. It was still challenging while still being possible to complete. It also had the best soundtrack overall in my opinion where every single song was amazing.
I haven't really played any BT games, but this topic has gotten me more interested in the reboot (as in watching cutscenes and walkthroughs of it); I'd even consider playing it if it were available on the Switch or maybe even PC.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
To keep the conversation going, how many people here have played a Battletoads game before? Has anyone here ever actually beaten one? I’ve played every Battletoads game but I’ve only ever beaten Battletoads and Double Dragon and the arcade game. I think Battletoads and Double Dragon is the best Battletoads game. It was still challenging while still being possible to complete. It also had the best soundtrack overall in my opinion where every single song was amazing.
I've played through the whole Battletoads Arcade game once. Most memorable arcade experience in my life.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I haven't really played any BT games, but this topic has gotten me more interested in the reboot (as in watching cutscenes and walkthroughs of it); I'd even consider playing it if it were available on the Switch or maybe even PC.
Just a fair warning, a lot of people were pretty disappointed with the reboot but I still found it enjoyable. I think the gameplay is underrated and was actually fun to play co-op with friends but some of the humor kind of fell flat. As long as you go into it with reasonable expectations, I think you can still have a good time.

If anyone has an X-Box One, I would highly recommend getting RARE Replay. It has a lot of the classic games on it as well as RARE’s other great games like Banjo Kazooie. I don’t remember whether Battletoads and Double Dragon was on it so I don’t really know if there is a good way to play that game these days.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Just a fair warning, a lot of people were pretty disappointed with the reboot but I still found it enjoyable. I think the gameplay is underrated and was actually fun to play co-op with friends but some of the humor kind of fell flat. As long as you go into it with reasonable expectations, I think you can still have a good time.
Yeah, I know about the level of disappointment, such as the reaction toward the Dark Queen's new design; but at least she got to keep her big hips, thighs, and butt. ^^

Plus, I do love the increase in comedy and self-awareness (even with other people not liking it).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, I know about the level of disappointment, such as the reaction toward the Dark Queen's new design; but at least she got to keep her big hips, thighs, and butt. ^^

Plus, I do love the increase in comedy and self-awareness (even with other people not liking it).
Yeah, some of the comedy was pretty funny but some of it was just kind of dumb. I do appreciate that they did something with it considering the older games never really had a ton of story dialogue.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Okay, I said earlier I was gonna dip for now, but...I kinda wanna get Crash's day out of the way before Nintendo's presentation. Sorry to sound impatient.
Sorry, but the conversation's still going, and so it ended up getting the extension (Which is partially on me getting distracted, so if anyone needs to take the blame you know where to look). I'd rather not cut one segment short before it's all wrapped up; It's only fair everyone gets enough time to finish their day, regardless of if that day gets extended or not.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sorry, but the conversation's still going, and so it ended up getting the extension (Which is partially on me getting distracted, so if anyone needs to take the blame you know where to look). I'd rather not cut one segment short before it's all wrapped up; It's only fair everyone gets enough time to finish their day, regardless of if that day gets extended or not.
It's okay, I'm not that desperate. I guess it's just the E3 tension getting to me.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Should the BT cartoon intro theme be one of the songs added by the BT pack?

I ask again because it didn't get answered, and I assume it's gotten lost a few pages later.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Should the BT cartoon intro theme be one of the songs added by the BT pack?

I ask again because it didn't get answered, and I assume it's gotten lost a few pages later.
If Battletoads gets a lot of songs then I don’t see why not. The problem is that most DLC characters only get around 12ish songs and there are so many amazing songs from the games that I’d hate to miss out on. If we somehow got 25 or more songs, I think the cartoon theme could be a funny addition (although we never got any of the Pokémon anime opening themes, which is kind of a shame).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Also, BT should have a custom explosion with those pink orbs from the NES game (well, at least from the motorcycle portions).
Yeah that’s a good idea. I actually completely forgot about their death animations on Turbo Tunnel. Mega Man has a similar effect so we know something like that could work.

I’m not sure how many people got a chance to take a look at the move set I posted. I’m curious what you all think about how to handle their transforming attacks. Do you think it’s better to base it on the older games and only transform as a finishing blow when the opponent is over a certain percentage of health or do you prefertheir limbs always transforming regardless of their opponent’s health like their more modern appearances like Killer Instinct and the reboot?

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I’d imagine their charged smash attacks would result in a transform attack. Giant iron cleat kick, overhead axe-hand swing, etc.

even the standard A attack can go jab, jab, mace fist

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’d imagine their charged smash attacks would result in a transform attack. Giant iron cleat kick, overhead axe-hand swing, etc.

even the standard A attack can go jab, jab, mace fist
Yeah, that’s a good idea I hadn’t really considered before. That may actually be the best option. It’s certainly simpler and easier to implement than my health percentage idea. Would you say the running attack would always spawn the ram horns or would there be a way to trigger that as well?

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that’s a good idea I hadn’t really considered before. That may actually be the best option. It’s certainly simpler and easier to implement than my health percentage idea. Would you say the running attack would always spawn the ram horns or would there be a way to trigger that as well?
I’d say every time or have it be part of a rotation with another bash like transform attack. It’s purely aesthetic though, but would increase movement variety

Top Bottom