• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Literally what is the point of that...Dr. Mario is a polarizing character to begin with, then replace him with a character that would undoubtedly get more hate since now you're not only pissing off the haters, for adding a clone of Luigi but also pissing off the fans of Dr. Mario, who no doubt has his share of fans...
because I think the hate of having three marios would be greater

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
because I think the hate of having three marios would be greater
I don't, Paper Mario would at least be unique in comparison to his counterparts, whereas you're replacing a clone with a clone for another character just to make a compromise...as stated people don't like clones to begin with and fans of the Doc would be upset that he'd get cut for the secondary character from the same series...

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, my standpoint on "reps"
1: Who decides who has too many reps? Sakuri. Not you.
2: Why are you using this as an excuse to hate a character. It's stupid.
#1 has never stopped, uh, anybody from questioning Sakurai's decisions when handling the games.

I personally don't think it's possible to have too many Mario reps, seeing as how it's Mario, but I don't care for Paper Mario as a character. I'm fine with alternate versions of characters that are completely visually and mechanically distinct (Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Ganon) but Paper Mario's just standard red and blue Mario flat and simplified. Of all the great things about the Paper Mario games, Mario himself is at the bottom of the list. A stage is fine (albeit not the stage we currently have).

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why are spending so much time talking about the next Smash Bros., anyway? Have we so little faith in what will be DLC for Smash 4 that we don't even bother talking about it anymore?

StormC

Smash Hero
Why are spending so much time talking about the next Smash Bros., anyway? Have we so little faith in what will be DLC for Smash 4 that we don't even bother talking about it anymore?
Probably because most folks think we're gonna get mostly veterans, really requested Nintendo newcomers... and Royu out of DLC, so expectations are pretty set.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would actually not be upset with Nabbit, cause we might never get the Toad I wanted in anyway.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh yeah, last night I fell in love with :4tlink: and I might make him a secondary.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If you think the salt from us Toad fans will be bad if Nabbit gets announced...

...just imagine how pissed off fans of the other purple stage hazard are going to be if Nabbit gets in.

(actually I do kind of like Nabbit...why the hell wasn't he the villain of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker? I can't think of a more ideal foil except MAYBE Wario)

Nabbit for Mario Kart when?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

...just imagine how pissed off fans of the other purple stage hazard are going to be if Nabbit gets in.

(actually I do kind of like Nabbit...why the hell wasn't he the villain of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker? I can't think of a more ideal foil except MAYBE Wario)

Ridley is my 2nd most wanted, Nabbit is probably at least 10, I won't mind really

Honestly all of the people thinking ridley has a chance would be more annoying than the hate. . .

And im a freaking ridley supporter

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, but for many people it would matter, and their reactions would be glorious.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Guys, by the time Smash 5 hits, Nabbit will be the frontrunner.
14 Mario characters are already on the roster, counting Koopalings and not counting Yoshi, I could easily see both Nabbit and Captain Toad make it as newcomers in Smash 5...

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Anything to shame Waluigi fanboys.
Next ND:

"We heard from fans that they wanted a certain purple creature from the Mario series as playable character.
His whacky nature must have been liked by the fans.

However, the character in question is already in the game in a supporting role.
We have asked Mr. Sakurai and we concluded that this character should still be playable.
We present to you:
Nabbit."

Or the trailer:

"Wario is searching for gold when he stumbles on an Assist Trophy.
Wario picks it up, causing it to activate
The Assist Trophy breaks and light shines out, but before we see the character that's in it, we see dust clouds around Wario.
The dust clouds get bigger and when the camera looks at Wario again, the assist trophy is gone and the dust clouds go away:

Nabbit steals the show!"

If it's a Nabbit and Captain Toad trailer:

"We hear footsteps going after Nabbit, getting louder and louder, causing Nabbit to suddenly run away.
Nabbit sweats and sprints as hard as he can, but he can't outrun the off-screen footsteps.
Nabbit then trips (SAKURAAAAI), causing the footsteps to get even louder.
Two hands pick up Nabbits bag and pick up a Green Star.
Captain Toad then fully shows himself, doing a little dance with his newfound treasure.

Captain Toad explores the fight"

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Next ND:
"We heard from fans that they wanted a certain purple creature from the Mario series as playable character.
His whacky nature must have been liked by the fans.

However, the character in question is already in the game in a supporting role.
We have asked Mr. Sakurai and we concluded that this character should still be playable.
We present to you:
Nabbit."

Or the trailer:

"Wario is searching for gold when he stumbles on an Assist Trophy.
Wario picks it up, causing it to activate
The Assist Trophy breaks and light shines out, but before we see the character that's in it, we see dust clouds around Wario.
The dust clouds get bigger and when the camera looks at Wario again, the assist trophy is gone and the dust clouds go away:

Nabbit steals the show!"

If it's a Nabbit and Captain Toad trailer:

"We hear footsteps going after Nabbit, getting louder and louder, causing Nabbit to suddenly run away.
Nabbit sweats and sprints as hard as he can, but he can't outrun the off-screen footsteps.
Nabbit then trips (SAKURAAAAI), causing the footsteps to get even louder.
Two hands pick up Nabbits bag and pick up a Green Star.
Captain Toad then fully shows himself, doing a little dance with his newfound treasure.

Captain Toad explores the fight"
Troll level: Sakurai. 10/10

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Don't say no to a cool character with a unique moveset because it's "canonically the same character that is in smash".
I'm gonna say it anyway: NO

We don't NEED two characters who are the exact same person (Young Link/Link can be a good example as well. Had Young Link had an entire moveset changed, I would be more accepting. The same for Doc but right now he's nothing more but a clone to me), better yet three. The hate will only get louder from seeing three characters who are the exact same person anyway.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm gonna say it anyway: NO

We don't NEED two characters who are the exact same person (Young Link/Link can be a good example as well. Had Young Link had an entire moveset changed, I would be more accepting. The same for Doc but right now he's nothing more but a clone to me), better yet three. The hate will only get louder from seeing three characters who are the exact same person anyway.

I do want all the vets back for this

image.jpg

But Young Link and Pichu are redundant. Squirtle/Ivysaur are just in that realm of 'WE HAVE ENOUGH POKEMON, ESPECIALLY GEN 1'.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I do want all the vets back for this

View attachment 54388
But Young Link and Pichu are redundant. Squirtle/Ivysaur are just in that realm of 'WE HAVE ENOUGH POKEMON, ESPECIALLY GEN 1'.
Moveset originality before reps. That's always been my philosophy. I'd honestly take Ivy & Squirtle back before Lucas and Wolf who are the most original clones... Granted I'd cut Doc-Lucina-DP before them.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Only vet I really cared about was Wolf tbh...Lucas was just another (but better) Ness to me and without transformations Squirtle and Ivysaur really lost their purpose in the roster...Snake was always a weird choice for me even though I'm a fan of the MGS series...
Roy was a former number 3 from melee but I have since moved on with other characters...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I've been thinking, what buffs and nerfs could Roy and Lucas get? Not counting Wolf as despite him being a lock, no confirmation. For Roy, I could see him be similar to Melee in which his air game's good iirc and a tweaked moveset. For Lucas, tether buff is confirmed and if Ness' custom is any indication, PSI Magnet gets a big nerf

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I've been thinking, what buffs and nerfs could Roy and Lucas get? Not counting Wolf as despite him being a lock, no confirmation. For Roy, I could see him be similar to Melee in which his air game's good iirc and a tweaked moveset. For Lucas, tether buff is confirmed and if Ness' custom is any indication, PSI Magnet gets a big nerf
For Lucas, I can see him jumping the tier list like he did in PM seeing how Ness was in Brawl going in to Smash 4. I think the game being overall faster than Brawl will help him out for sure.

For Roy, I can see him retaining his Melee specials only with a new side B and mostly different A attacks and this time he won't have to rely on the center of his blade and the time (swinging his sword horizontally instead of vertically) and he won't be prone to being chain grabbed and edge hogged.

I'm pretty sure he means in the next game, and considering Sakurai plans on leaving, it means Ridley's about 50/50 then
It depends. If people get Sakurai to change his mind on Ridley via the Smash Ballot, I think theirs a chance he might (key word is might people) be playable in Smash 5.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
For Lucas, I can see him jumping the tier list like he did in PM seeing how Ness was in Brawl going in to Smash 4. I think the game being overall faster than Brawl will help him out for sure.

For Roy, I can see him retaining his Melee specials only with a new side B and mostly different A attacks and this time he won't have to rely on the center of his blade and the time (swinging his sword horizontally instead of vertically) and he won't be prone to being chain grabbed and edge hogged.

It depends. If people get Sakurai to change his mind on Ridley via the Smash Ballot, I think theirs a chance he might (key word is might people) be playable in Smash 5.
I will actually consider Sakurai failure if Roy doesn't have a projectile at all, weakest lord, earning the title ****lord and Sakurai doesn't give him a projectile. This is why I want Eliwood as Lyn's Final Smash or as an AT to smack Roy despite being ****ty himself

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If you're going to have 3 Marios, make sure they all feel unique. Doc feels different from Mario, so I approve, I doubt Paper Mario being a clone so I wouldn't mind if all 3 were playable
My opinion on the current clones:
:4darkpit: Is the same as :4pit:
:4drmario: Is much different than :4mario:. Especially recovery wise.
:4lucina: Is the same as :4marth: (Though I've heard other people argue otherwise.)
:4falco: Is a lot different than :4fox:
:4ganondorf: Has :4falcon: moveset, does something completely different with it.
:4luigi: I don't even have to explain this.
:4lucas:Is different enough for many people to not consider him even a semi-clone
:4tlink:Is my main, but I cannot get the hang of :4link:. Coincidence? I think not. The two links play much differently, so it's possible to master one, while being terrible with the other.
That's all the clones and semi-clones in ssb4. Only two of which play exactly the same as their original counterparts. As far as getting every veteran back, it would go like this:
:wolf: Contrary to popular belief Wolf not a semi-clone. Lucas is so close to not being a semi-clone, Wolf is so close to being a semi-clone. Get it? Got it? Good. So I bet you're wondering why I put him here.........I don't know myself.
:pichumelee: Would play differently because of his gimmick.
:roymelee: See Pichu.
:younglinkmelee: Would be the middle ground between :4link: and :4tlink:.
We are once again left with only two characters that are the same as their original counterparts.

StormC

Smash Hero
I doubt it. Sakurai said no to Ridley when he was a top 10 request for Brawl and a top 5 request for Smash 4, over the course of a decade, with the same reasoning. Ridley's hope is 5mash getting a new director... or a new design.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I will actually consider Sakurai failure if Roy doesn't have a projectile at all, weakest lord, earning the title ****lord and Sakurai doesn't give him a projectile. This is why I want Eliwood as Lyn's Final Smash or as an AT to smack Roy despite being ****ty himself
The criticisms your giving Roy are the same ones the haters give him which are very crappy reasons. He isn't a bad lord, he's a fairly balanced lord that just happens to have a late promotion time. Why people are so adamant about criticizing him when they pretty much worship Hector I just don't know.

But I do agree with him having a ranged fire projectile as a new Side B.

I doubt it. Sakurai said no to Ridley when he was a top 10 request for Brawl and a top 5 request for Smash 4, over the course of a decade, with the same reasoning. Ridley's hope is 5mash getting a new director... or a new design.
IDK. I'm really not in to Ridley all that much but it was just a theory I had for him.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The criticisms your giving Roy are the same ones the haters give him which are very crappy reasons. He isn't a bad lord, he's a fairly balanced lord that just happens to have a late promotion time. Why people are so adamant about criticizing him when they pretty much worship Hector I just don't know.

Roy has lower base stats than Eliwood. Eliwood is level 17 yet can only do about 8 damage with his Rapier, and I'm at chapter 26. Because Roy has lower stats and has a late promotion, many people can feel like he's under powered compared to other units. Hector however, is a different story. Hector can tank hits and deal monstrous damage, low speed and resistance being his weaknesses, but a smart player would keep him away from mages unless it's pure offence, in which Hector shines greatly

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If Roy has a projectile it should be stabbing the sword in the ground which sends an eruption of fire along the ground like Pikachu's neutral special move.

:4tlink:Is my main, but I cannot get the hang of :4link:.
:4megaman::4duckhunt:Hmm...

Burruni

Smash Hero
There's only one time we have to cite Sakurai going back on his opinion.

:4villager:

Who Sakurai initially played off because he really didn't fit the combative and "gritty" feel of Brawl. Around 7 years later, when AC got the massive boost in popularity from City Folk and upcoming New Leaf (when decided) and Smash 4 had a significantly more "bright" and "cartoony" look to it, got in.

Ridley is not going to see a massive change off of things Sakurai already knows in the span of... what, a year, when he made the interview.

Hector was a more endearing character and as a Unit was basically a General with some damn good speed and was the first time we had an Axe Lord. Hector in 6 & 7 is a more boisterous character that is most comparable to :4myfriends: if he was more light hearted. The man is Blue Santa who goes EASY for most of the game by using his non-dominant hand while being an absolutely dominating unit.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Roy has lower base stats than Eliwood. Eliwood is level 17 yet can only do about 8 damage with his Rapier, and I'm at chapter 26. Because Roy has lower stats and has a late promotion, many people can feel like he's under powered compared to other units. Hector however, is a different story. Hector can tank hits and deal monstrous damage, low speed and resistance being his weaknesses, but a smart player would keep him away from mages unless it's pure offence, in which Hector shines greatly
He isn't underpowered in his game. I'm on Ch. 14 of Binding Blade and he's just fine as a unit really. Sure, their is a certain period in the game were Roy has troubles due to his late promotion but it's massively overstated and people give him way too much crap for it.

Hector flat out sucked for me (i'm not sure about Hector mode but i;m speaking strictly about Hector in Eliwood mode). He was never able to tank hits even in direct combat and the damage he dished out was lower compared to Eliwood and Lyn. Why people are always talking about how great he is I just don't know. He was pretty much irrelevant for the entire game and was fodder for the last mission. I'm not hating on the guy but there seems to be a mega double standard here.

Hector was a more endearing character and as a Unit was basically a General with some damn good speed and was the first time we had an Axe Lord. Hector in 6 & 7 is a more boisterous character that is most comparable to :4myfriends: if he was more light hearted. The man is Blue Santa who goes EASY for most of the game by using his non-dominant hand while being an absolutely dominating unit.
Good speed? Unless their was something different in his mode, I must be missing something here. The guy was pretty darn slow and was a liability for the majority of the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom