• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Moveset originality before reps. That's always been my philosophy. I'd honestly take Ivy & Squirtle back before Lucas and Wolf who are the most original clones... Granted I'd cut Doc-Lucina-DP before them.
No... keep Dr. Mario... the other two can go away...

Well, Dark Pit can stay but only if Pit gets his original Brawl moveset back (because it would make Dark Pit suddenly a semi-clone like Wolf and Lucas).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hector flat out sucked for me (i'm not sure about Hector mode but i;m speaking strictly about Hector in Eliwood mode). He was never able to tank hits even in direct combat and the damage he dished out was lower compared to Eliwood and Lyn. Why people are always talking about how great he is I just don't know. He was pretty much irrelevant for the entire game and was fodder for the last mission. I'm not hating on the guy but there seems to be a mega double standard here.
I call bull****, I was once at I think Chapter 16 or something and I put Hector in the frontlines in front of every enemy. They all went after him. Hector singlehandedly took them out without getting a scratch and he was what? Level 12? After he massacred everything he got multiple levels

Burruni

Smash Hero
He isn't underpowered in his game. I'm on Ch. 14 of Binding Blade and he's just fine as a unit really. Sure, their is a certain period in the game were Roy has troubles due to his late promotion but it's massively overstated and people give him way too much crap for it.

Hector flat out sucked for me (i'm not sure about Hector mode but i;m speaking strictly about Hector in Eliwood mode). He was never able to tank hits even in direct combat and the damage he dished out was lower compared to Eliwood and Lyn. Why people are always talking about how great he is I just don't know. He was pretty much irrelevant for the entire game and was fodder for the last mission. I'm not hating on the guy but there seems to be a mega double standard here.
I'm gonna be honest.
You're the first person I've really heard complain about Hector being a "fodder" unit.
90% HP Growth, 60% Strength, 45% Skill, and 50% Defense has played out pretty well for most.
Roy having 80% HP, 40% Strength, 50% Skill, 25% Defense. Roy has 5% more speed, skill and res growth than the General or a Lord that is Hector. His only boom over Hector in Growth is 30% more on Luck.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Dark Pit needs different weapons. Give him the claws, I ****ing love claws.
Waifu Lord needs to be weegee-fied, so that she not only feels different from Marth but also attacks differently. She was raised by her father, including sword stuff, yet she's a Marth clone despite Chrom being similar to Ike

Burruni

Smash Hero
Dark Pit needs different weapons. Give him the claws, I ****ing love claws.
Waifu Lord needs to be weegee-fied, so that she not only feels different from Marth but also attacks differently. She was raised by her father, including sword stuff, yet she's a Marth clone despite Chrom being similar to Ike
Or have her start using some Lances... y'know, her secondary weapon type and the weapon of choice of her canonical mother.
That's another thing she really should be doing alongside having a more Chrom-like swordfighting style if she is wanting to stay.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I call bull****, I was once at I think Chapter 16 or something and I put Hector in the frontlines in front of every enemy. They all went after him. Hector singlehandedly took them out without getting a scratch and he was what? Level 12? After he massacred everything he got multiple levels
There must be something a lot different here because that isn't the same Mr. the fanbase loves me even though I can't fight defend myself for beans Hector that I knew of in my play through. Hector was fine for the early chapters but he was heavily outclassed by Eliwood and Lyn in my playthrough. On top of that, the guy wasn't even able to hit his opponents for the vast majority of instances. Eliwood was decent and he was still able to do considerable damage to his opponents.

Basically, what the fanbase makes Roy out to be is exactly what Hector turned out for me in FE7.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
From my experience with Fire Emblem, Hector has always been a solid unit. Very reliable.

Maybe you had some bad RNG, @ Ura Ura ?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I guess one of my mains is more accurate. :p I put Mega Man and Duck Hunt on my profile because :4megaman: represents the first console game I have ever played, and :4duckhunt: represents my love of dogs. (As if you couldn't tell already. lol)
I wouldn't cut any them. I kinda main one of them. :ohwell:
Same here. Unique moveset or not I would hate to see any character in smash get cut.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
From my experience with Fire Emblem, Hector has always been a solid unit. Very reliable.

Maybe you had some bad RNG, @ Ura Ura ?
Maybe he's a lot better in his own mode but strictly Eliwood-mode Hector was garbage for me and I don't understand were the love comes for him. Sorry if i'm sounding like a downer here but that's how I feel about the character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
There must be something a lot different here because that isn't the same Mr. the fanbase loves me even though I can't fight defend myself for beans Hector that I knew of in my play through. Hector was fine for the early chapters but he was heavily outclassed by Eliwood and Lyn in my playthrough. On top of that, the guy wasn't even able to hit his opponents for the vast majority of instances. Eliwood was decent and he was still able to do considerable damage to his opponents.

Basically, what the fanbase makes Roy out to be is exactly what Hector turned out for me in FE7.
You must have had absolute **** luck with his growths then, that's literally the only explanation. If Eliwood is stronger than Roy and he's one of the worst units I've got while Hector, Lucien, Raven, Oswin and Lyn are my best, then yeah, something's off. Heath's a bit too weak unfortunately but he's growing quickly

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Please don't call my main 'Waifu Lord'.
She would have made more sense as an Ike clone...although it would better if she had a few unique moves instead...like one of her aerials being that spinning slash everyone wanted her or Chrom to have.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Maybe he's a lot better in his own mode but strictly Eliwood-mode Hector was garbage for me and I don't understand were the love comes for him. Sorry if i'm sounding like a downer here but that's how I feel about the character.
Haven't played Hector mode yet, but he's been perfectly fine for me in the main game. :ohwell:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Please don't call my main 'Waifu Lord'.
She would have made more sense as an Ike clone...although it would better if she had a few unique moves instead...like one of her aerials being that spinning slash everyone wanted her or Chrom to have.
I prefer Anna and Lyn anyway and a friend called his Lucina amiibo MegaWaifu :p
That should have at least been a custom
Haven't played Hector mode yet, but he's been perfectly fine for me in the main game. :ohwell:
Likewise, Hector's been nothing but a ****ing monster and I'm on 26 Eliwood

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You must have had absolute **** luck with his growths then, that's literally the only explanation. If Eliwood is stronger than Roy and he's one of the worst units I've got while Hector, Lucien, Raven, Oswin and Lyn are my best, then yeah, something's off. Heath's a bit too weak unfortunately but he's growing quickly
Maybe that's the case or maybe he's just a lot better in his own mode as opposed to Eli's mode, IDK.

For me, the lords in FE7 and FE6 were always Lyn >>> Roy <=> Eliwood >> Hector. Lyn is an absolute beast who doesn't get enough love in the FE community and is capable of making bosses look like a fool, Eliwood and Roy are decent units that can hold their own despite late promotion times with Roy having SoS to give him a boost over Eliwood IMO, and Hector was just a liability for me. Maybe that will change when I go around playing his mode in FE7.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Maybe that's the case or maybe he's just a lot better in his own mode as opposed to Eli's mode, IDK.

For me, the lords in FE7 and FE6 were always Lyn >>> Roy <=> Eliwood >> Hector. Lyn is an absolute beast who doesn't get enough love in the FE community and is capable of making bosses look like a fool, Eliwood and Roy are decent units that can hold their own despite late promotion times with Roy having SoS to give him a boost over Eliwood IMO, and Hector was just a liability for me. Maybe that will change when I go around playing his mode in FE7.
You might need to start a different file, Hector's stats are beastly but you've gotten the short end of the lance. I always call Eliwood Roy. Roy not getting an Eliwood costume would be bad too
I've seen a few people suggesting/supporting Absol around...did I start that?
Eh, Absol would be a neat idea, but I'd prefer Heracross or Zoroark personally

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I guess I outta give Hector mode a shot and re-play Eliwood mode to see if this is true or not. All I know is that Lyn doesn't get the appreciation she deserves in FE7, Eliwood is a solid unit overall, and that Roy is totally undeserving of the hate he gets despite his late promotion time, being able to hold his own for the majority of the game.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
For the record, I completely agree with that statement. In fact Link was the first character between the two that I tried in Brawl, but I didn't like the way he felt. When I unlocked Toon Link I fell in love with his play style even though according to people here they're exactly the same. They're not. That's why it upsets me when people say that Toon Link needs a change in move set. It would alienate what I love about the character, and I think he's perfect just the way he is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
For the record, I completely agree with that statement. In fact Link was the first character between the two that I tried in Brawl, but I didn't like the way he felt. When I unlocked Toon Link I fell in love with his play style even though according to people here they're exactly the same. They're not. That's why it upsets me when people say that Toon Link needs a change in move set. It would alienate what I love about the character, and I think he's perfect just the way he is.
I think we should have at least one more change to make people stop complaining. They both feel very different and Usmash, dash attack and aerials are different. I'd do the Sand Rod as a Down B or something

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
:4tlink:Is my main, but I cannot get the hang of :4link:. Coincidence? I think not. The two links play much differently, so it's possible to master one, while being terrible with the other.
My thoughts really. I really enjoy Toon Link's playstyle while I really can't get into Link's. Frankly I never really liked his playstyle in any Smash game while I enjoyed the more agile nature of Toon Link (Plus he's my personal favourite incarnation of Link). If Toon Link where to ever get cut, I'd sooner pick a new main than even thinking about maining Link. Heck I would probably be pushing for his return as DLC if Nintendo where to open up another ballot. Toon Link is to me as Lucas and Wolf are to their respective fans.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I just wish that :younglinkmelee:was never cut from the game. I wouldn't even mind if they changed up his moveset in Brawl because :toonlink:replacing him made me very :salt:.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Toon Link has always been my favorite incarnation of Link playable in Smash. :4tlink:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My thoughts really. I really enjoy Toon Link's playstyle while I really can't get into Link's. Frankly I never really liked his playstyle in any Smash game while I enjoyed the more agile nature of Toon Link (Plus he's my personal favourite version of Link). If Toon Link where to ever get cut, I'd sooner pick a new main than even thinking about maining Link. Heck I would probably be pushing for his return as DLC if Nintendo where to open up another ballot whether some haters like it or not.... Toon Link is to me as Lucas is to Lucas fans. :/
What if Toon Link was cut but Link was reworked to be faster and his design was more in line with Skyward Sword as a compromise?
I hope that eventually Link in Smash looks like this:

Best design of the character imo. If they did like they did with Starfox, have this design be the base but add features to him, it would be perfect.

D

Deleted member

I guess it was already stated earlier, but with FE If introducing weapons' infinite use, how do you think it will influence Robin's tomes and swords mechanic ?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I guess it was already stated earlier, but with FE If introducing weapons' infinite use, how do you think it will influence Robin's tomes and swords mechanic ?
IF is the second game in the franchise without that mechanic, the other being Gaiden, probably nothing.
Anna also wasn't in Gaiden and currently is MIA in IF, Anna DLC confirmed!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not at all.
Let's say they stick with the system placed in IF for FE 15 and 16 before Smash 5 comes out.

That'd be 4 games of 16 without durability and 12/16 with. There's no reason to not have Robin keep it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't think so, but if it was it would be stupid. I would hate it if they change Robin, because in my opinion :4robinm:/:4robinf: have the most perfect movesets to represent them in Smash Bros. It is everything I would have wanted them to be and more.
More than I can say for :4ganondorf:. And I like him already. He'd probably be my favorite character if he were just a bit more original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom