• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
On the Subject of Fire-Emblem, It looks like you decide who runs the shops

And Chibi-Robo is now Bionic Commando-Moses

Also Mario and Sonic at the olympiiicccccss....SO ANYWAY

Burruni

Smash Hero
On the subject of Kamui...I kinda doubt we'll see him/her. I can't see Sakurai prioritizing another Fire Emblem character as DLC when we already have Roy coming up, and by the time Smash 5 rolls out, Fire Emblem If will be old news. It'll be in the same "not represented with a playable character" bin with FE2, 4, 5, 7, and 8.
One serious thing to consider is that Fire Emblem characters, if you're not a Marth Clone, retained from being major in multiple titles.

:4marth: has his two games and their remakes, :4myfriends: was the protagonist of only 9 when he got in but 10 was plotted by the development time of Brawl considering how clear 9 was going to get a sequel by the ending.... and while :4robinm: is only in Awakening, the "MyUnit" character which Robin effectively is was first used in a more limited scope in FE12... like someone's fan fiction. Kamui obviously being the third sequential usage of the My Unit character but with Dracostones instead of tomes.

With how balls-out 14 is being with the three stories that are going to make up it after the DLC, I highly doubt it would get a continuation at all, let alone before Smash 5.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The day Ike is cut is the day I stop being a Smash Bros fan lol. And, look at how good Ike looks in FE IF!View attachment 54270
Seeing those makes me wish the DLC characters from Awakening had gotten the same treatment. Marth and Ike look flippin' fantastic. Also, considering that apparently Kamui isn't the only character who can get customized later, it'd be pretty cool if Robin can be customized as well.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Would people be okay with Dr. Luigi as a Luigi clone ?
I would rather have him as an alt for Dr. Mario though I wouldn't be opposed to him if he won't take a lot of time. Also, i'm glad they didn't use the design Luigi had in Dr. Luigi for the Wii U. The one their using in this game is better.

That game that they showed off caught my interest. Here's hoping for an NA release.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
So, I have come to accept that other than the trio and shadow (and maybe Vector) I hate all the Sonic freind characters. Eggman is amazing, but Sonic's friends other than the one's I mentioned are terrible. Rouge pisses me off the most I think because she's not a bat. I know that sounds strange but a bat doesn't have wings on its back, and after seeing fan art of her with proper wings, I shake my head at Sonic Team.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This is going to be the 7th title of the Dr. Mario series.

Just take that in a little bit to realize how sizable the spin-off really is... it took me by surprise.
I don't really care how big the series is...Dr. Mario is just there when it comes to the roster, while characters like Toad gets the short end of the stick constantly despite his role within the entire franchise let alone in one spin off series...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think Toad's issue is that Sakurai considers him to be representative of an entire species, rather than his own distinct character.

Which is why Captain Toad is a blessing in disguise. If Sakurai just thinks Toad is one of a thousand identical mooks, the one Toad with the helmet lamp and rucksack should definitely stand out as the most important of the whole gang.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think Toad's issue is that Sakurai considers him to be representative of an entire species, rather than his own distinct character.

Which is why Captain Toad is a blessing in disguise. If Sakurai just thinks Toad is one of a thousand identical mooks, the one Toad with the helmet lamp and rucksack should definitely stand out as the most important of the whole gang.
It doesn't help that Japan doesn't differentiate the playable Toad(s) in any specific way from the rest of the species.... before CAPTAIN Toad, that is.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It doesn't help that Japan doesn't differentiate the playable Toad(s) in any specific way from the rest of the species.... before CAPTAIN Toad, that is.
My point exactly.

At least now Toad has his own identity - whether it's "the" Toad or not is open to interpretation, but he's there, and he's a thing now.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

:4yoshi::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4charizard::4lucario:
One reason why I dislike Captain Toad as a DLC candidate is because 'he's a way to make Toad playable'....why not just have regular Toad? He's as much of an icon as any character...Sure Captain Toad is establishing himself with his own series but, most people want Toad as a playable character, and Captain Toad is an excuse to get him in...

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
One reason why I dislike Captain Toad as a DLC candidate is because 'he's a way to make Toad playable'....why not just have regular Toad? He's as much of an icon as any character...Sure Captain Toad is establishing himself with his own series but, most people want Toad as a playable character, and Captain Toad is an excuse to get him in...
I didn't say it was correct or even rational. And yet we all know that Sakurai works in mysterious ways - it doesn't have to make sense, it just has to fit what Sakurai thinks is good. Maybe he just thinks Toad doesn't have the same merits as the aforementioned?

If Captain Toad is the only way for Toad to get in, I'd suck it up and swallow the bitter medicine.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I am assuming Lucas will be coming with Wave 2 Mii Fighter Costumes which will include Inkling costumes, the Inkling squid hat, the K.K Slider outfit, and more unannounced costumes.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I admit that it isn't exactly fair but honestly... those comparisons aren't exactly apt because of source material.

Pokemon characters are because... that's the very nature of the series. It's perfectly fitting to choose one of a species if that species is particularly highlighted in the source material.

Yoshi? An entire race. But also had two of his/their own games by the time he/they was chosen for 64. Actually... 3, if you count Tetris Attack where he was the default protagonist.

Toads... sadly, have often been used more as Seat Fillers for 4th or even 3rd slots for Multiplayer. While they've been present, Captain Toad is the first time that Nintendo's been making a push to make them stand out.

That's how I see it, however skewed it may be.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I admit that it isn't exactly fair but honestly... those comparisons aren't exactly apt because of source material.

Pokemon characters are because... that's the very nature of the series. It's perfectly fitting to choose one of a species if that species is particularly highlighted in the source material.

Yoshi? An entire race. But also had two of his/their own games by the time he/they was chosen for 64. Actually... 3, if you count Tetris Attack where he was the default protagonist.

Toads... sadly, have often been used more as Seat Fillers for 4th or even 3rd slots for Multiplayer. While they've been present, Captain Toad is the first time that Nintendo's been making a push to make them stand out.

That's how I see it, however skewed it may be.
Seat fillers or not, Toad was still a playable character in the Mario series (and for a long time as well) and have developed a strong following because of it...a stronger following than a lot of other characters such as Rosalina and Bowser Jr. as well as Daisy, Waluigi, Geno, etc...

One thing I can say about Captain Toad is that it could definitely give Toad a bit more to work with for a moveset (as well as use Captain Toad as an alt for those that actually want Captain Toad himself, in addition to Toadette and whatever other Toad variations there are)...Captain Toad may open the door for Toad to become playable but I'd want actual Toad over Captain Toad...(also there wouldn't be a problem making Toad jump)

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
How would you guys like it if we cut Dr. Mario, replace him with Dr. Luigi, and then put Paper Mario in. That way, there wouldn't be three marios should Paper Mario get in

Burruni

Smash Hero
How would you guys like it if we cut Dr. Mario, replace him with Dr. Luigi, and then put Paper Mario in. That way, there wouldn't be three marios should Paper Mario get in
No.
There's no reason to cut a veteran for someone with the same theme and would be ironically even more of a clone.
Paper Mario's problem is the impact of his own series as of late. It has nothing to do with him being a completely unique visually and combatively fighter whose name is Mario.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

I would probably stop buying the series for all the trolling alone

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No.
There's no reason to cut a veteran for someone with the same theme and would be ironically even more of a clone.
Paper Mario's problem is the impact of his own series as of late. It has nothing to do with him being a completely unique visually and combatively fighter whose name is Mario.
Really? All the arguments I've seen are "We don't need three Marios". or as a joke, "We don't need five Marios." Or the infamous, "Too many Mario reps". I agree though.

Also, my standpoint on "reps"
1: Who decides who has too many reps? Sakuri. Not you.
2: Why are you using this as an excuse to hate a character. It's stupid.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Really? All the arguments I've seen are "We don't need three Marios". or as a joke, "We don't need five Marios." Or the infamous, "Too many Mario reps". I agree though.

Also, my standpoint on "reps"
1: Who decides who has too many reps? Sakuri. Not you.
2: Why are you using this as an excuse to hate a character. It's stupid.
To be completely fair, we really don't need three Marios. This is Smash Bros, not Mario Kart

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Literally what is the point of that...Dr. Mario is a polarizing character to begin with, then replace him with a character that would undoubtedly get more hate since now you're not only pissing off the haters, for adding a clone of Luigi but also pissing off the fans of Dr. Mario, who no doubt has his share of fans...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm not multiple persons the Steelers are a football team.
I know. But it's still grammatically correct to say "Steelers fan". It seems mu joke wasn't enjoyed though. Soooooooo. (flies away)
To be completely fair, we really don't need three Marios. This is Smash Bros, not Mario Kart
We don't need the game at all. :p But seriously though. Make up an OC character, and pretend it has it's own franchise, and is in smash. Now pretend it gained a super epic looking alternate form in it's "next game". Would you want the character's super epic form to be in the next smash, or would you be against it because you already have that character. Now, Paper Mario isn't super epic, but it's a similar situation. Don't say no to a cool character with a unique moveset because it's "canonically the same character that is in smash".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom