• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well, no one ever said " Boy, that ROB fellow should be playable" that's what I was getting at. Still very glad he's in mind you
:falcon64:
:icsmelee:
:gawmelee:
:roymelee:
:rob:
:4wiifit:

Sakurai always makes some characters out of near-nothing.

Edit: Falcon was only a Racer before Sakurai touched him.
Nobody really expected retro characters before the standards placed by Icies and G&W
ROY'S GAME HAD YET TO EXIST.
R.O.B. is the Nintendo Being of Cameos, almost as often as Mario himself.
WFT is.... WTF.
To quote BikdipOnABus's story about being told about WFT's reveal.
"They made a WII FIT character playable in Smash."
"The hell? The BALANCE BOARD is gonna fight?"

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No one said WTF should be playable except me either but apparently she isnt a joke character according to you. :p
I got that from an article. Convenient, I'm going to sleep soon. I'll find it quickly though
EDIT: NOPE! Either the article was nonexistent or something I heard on a video burnt through my thick skull

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
The joke is the fact that Sakurai caused you all to debate about whether or not there's a joke character on the roster...

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Technically, I believe there was a female and male version of Mach Rider.

Not that well versed in the game, though.
Well it's kind of a weird thing really, Each time you completed a level, a bit more of an image was gradually revealed of a woman with a dagger appears next to Mach Rider's bike, replacing where Mach Rider was standing so it's either

A) Mach Rider IS the Woman
B) The Original Mach Rider Perished at the end of the game and gave their legacy to this woman survivalist

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well it's kind of a weird thing really, Each time you completed a level, a bit more of an image was gradually revealed of a woman with a dagger appears next to Mach Rider's bike, replacing where Mach Rider was standing so it's either

B) The Original Mach Rider Perished at the end of the game and gave their legacy to this woman survivalist
So, essentially strip poker for henshin heroes?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Joke characters have been a staple of fighting games since Dan Hibiki in Street Fighter. The actual definition of a joke character is a character that's so absolutely, fundamentally awful that they're clearly included as a joke.

Pichu is the only real joke character in Smash, and that's only because it was designed to be objectively poorer than other fighters in almost every regard. Jigglypuff may have been one in older games, but she's definitely evolved into a viable fighter in her own right.

A character is not a joke character because they're quirky or silly; a character is a joke character because they're just terrible and that's the fun of playing them.

Smash is essentially exempt from the notion that "weird equals joke", as most of the roster as quite absurd and quirky in their own way. Ergo, the likes of Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Mr Game & Watch, Wario and Pac-Man are not joke characters, they're just fighters whose movesets are either very quirky or who originate in media that would not be expected to translate into a playable fighter.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Melee Trophy Description:
After the destruction of his home town, Mach Rider jumped onto his machine-gun-equipped combat motorcycle and set off in search of a new home, destroying all the Quadrunners who got in his way. His motorcycle had four gears and endless ammunition. When hit, Mach Rider would break into fragments and then rejoin together.

Mach Rider's a Jock Guy...der.

I believe the term is Lethal Joke Character. A character who you'd say "Impossible to win, weak, weak and pathetic!" only to get dominated by said character

WELCOME TO ONE OF MY MAINS.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I believe the term is Lethal Joke Character. A character who you'd say "Impossible to win, weak, weak and pathetic!" only to get dominated by said character
Not exactly. A lethal joke character is a joke character that undergoes a sudden transformation or possesses latent talents that actually allow them to transcend their joke status and become a deadly force in their own right.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
What about someone from S.T.E.A.M Henry's alright, But Lion would be cool too
If someone from S.T.E.A.M. gets in it will probably be Henry because hes the leader and first character you get. I think using the Steam mechanic in his moveset would be cool.

Also I don't think the joke character are really a thing. And even though we've had a retro character every game, its not a rule or anything.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not exactly. A lethal joke character is a joke character that undergoes a sudden transformation or possesses latent talents that actually allow them to transcend their joke status and become a deadly force in their own right.
Rest then. Bleh, I'm not winning this argument at all, am I?
Let's get back back to Mach Rider, even if Mach Rider's gender isn't a secret or anything, I'd love to have Mach Rider in. That's another moveset to make...

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Melee Trophy Description:
After the destruction of his home town, Mach Rider jumped onto his machine-gun-equipped combat motorcycle and set off in search of a new home, destroying all the Quadrunners who got in his way. His motorcycle had four gears and endless ammunition. When hit, Mach Rider would break into fragments and then rejoin together.

Mach Rider's a Jock Guy...der.

WELCOME TO ONE OF MY MAINS.
I guess that counts but they could take Mach Rider any which way with how often this question is brought up and the fact that Mach Rider's Game is... how old now?

Also Hell yeah Jigglypuff main

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Rest then. Bleh, I'm not winning this argument at all, am I?
Let's get back back to Mach Rider, even if Mach Rider's gender isn't a secret or anything, I'd love to have Mach Rider in. That's another moveset to make...
I didn't think it was an argument...?

I think the best (and, granted, only) moveset for Mach Rider I've seen was made by @ Kenith Kenith .

Burruni

Smash Hero
I guess that counts but they could take Mach Rider any which way with how often this question is brought up and the fact that Mach Rider's Game is... how old now?

Also Hell yeah Jigglypuff main
If MR got rebooted like Kid Icarus...

a) It'd probably end up T or even M for a Nintendo IP.
b) They could easily do the story that the chick who you end up saving joins your "faction" as a Mach Rider, basically a post-apocolyptic biker gang.

Or even ret-con the story that she WAS a kidnapped member of the Mach Riders.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Joke characters have been a staple of fighting games since Dan Hibiki in Street Fighter. The actual definition of a joke character is a character that's so absolutely, fundamentally awful that they're clearly included as a joke.

Pichu is the only real joke character in Smash, and that's only because it was designed to be objectively poorer than other fighters in almost every regard. Jigglypuff may have been one in older games, but she's definitely evolved into a viable fighter in her own right.

A character is not a joke character because they're quirky or silly; a character is a joke character because they're just terrible and that's the fun of playing them.

Smash is essentially exempt from the notion that "weird equals joke", as most of the roster as quite absurd and quirky in their own way. Ergo, the likes of Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Mr Game & Watch, Wario and Pac-Man are not joke characters, they're just fighters whose movesets are either very quirky or who originate in media that would not be expected to translate into a playable fighter.
So basically Roll in MVC...........Then what's the name for a character obviously added as a joke, but wasn't meant to be a terrible character?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I always wanted Mach Rider as a character.

I'd imagine he'll play like a combination of Ghost Rider from MvC3 and Lobo in Injustice.
Using his chain as whip, tether recovery and grap, movement and size similar to :4falcon:&:4samus:, Mad Max styled character and could probably take some moves from:snake: like his down-b and his tilts

Argos

Smash Apprentice
With the fourth Pushmo game in five years just being released I think we can all agree that Mallo is the most due out of any Nintendo character.

Okay probably not, but I've found the total lack of interest in him a bit depressing. He's a cool little puzzle solving sumo thing, I'd love to see him in.

Burruni

Smash Hero
With the fourth Pushmo game in five years just being released I think we can all agree that Mallo is the most due out of any Nintendo character.

Okay probably not, but I've found the total lack of interest in him a bit depressing. He's a cool little puzzle solving sumo thing, I'd love to see him in.
Part of that problem is how little he has in source material while being part of a fairly niche series that can churn out sequels fairly easily.

In terms of source material, he's like Captain Toad without the background of BEING a Toad from what I know.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Niche?
What? Burruni you should know AC is a million selling IP, and just because the Villager encompasses everything about AC doesn't mean it can't get another character, there is still noticeable demand for both characters even after their de-confirmation.

Burruni

Smash Hero
What about K.K.
A) Is a background factor of the Smashville and I believe Town & City stage(s)
B) Is still from a somewhat niche and somewhat small series
C) Doesn't have a command of popularity for the ballot
D) If ANY musical-based fighter was going to be put in the roster, there's something that has a little more merit.

Edit:
Niche?
What? Burruni you should know AC is a million selling IP, and just because the Villager encompasses everything about AC doesn't mean it can't get another character, there is still noticeable demand for both characters even after their de-confirmation.
Fire Emblem is a million-selling IP and is still considered fairly niche.

Villager encompassing the series means that it is probably low-profile for being looked at for other fighters.

And yes, noticable demand for Isabelle and Tom Nook.

But I'm in the belief that we won't be seeing them coming as DLC because they don't have a commanding popularity to weigh against a number of issues facing them.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm very old school in my Smash wants, so I think

would be my choice if we ever got a third playable Capcom character. He has arcade, NES, and SNES cred, and Sir Arthur has a move set that's seemingly made for Smash. Also, I'd really love to see him and Simon Belmont in the same game at some point.
I'm surprised I don't see these two mentioned more frequently as well.

Also, if we are talking about GIANT Capcom franchises that are important to Nintendo, than you are talking about Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter has been exclusive to Nintendo for a while, and look at this list of Capcom's top 5 best selling franchises

• Resident Evil - 61 million units.
  • Street Fighter - 35 million units.
  • Megaman - 30 million units.
  • Monster Hunter - 28 million units.
  • Devil May Cry - 13 million units.
(These are actual capcom financial numbers)

Those first three franchises have a hell of a head start on Monster Hunter as well.

I highly doubt we will see a third Capcom rep anytime soon, but I thought this was relevant to the conversation at hand.
I agree that Arthur is a good choice. But I don't know what you mean, Phoenix Wright is the Capcom rep I hear the most about.
Also, I'm pretty sure that if Capcom were to get a third character, you know why those sales numbers make me happy. ;)

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm very old school in my Smash wants, so I think

would be my choice if we ever got a third playable Capcom character. He has arcade, NES, and SNES cred, and Sir Arthur has a move set that's seemingly made for Smash. Also, I'd really love to see him and Simon Belmont in the same game at some point.

I'm surprised I don't see these two mentioned more frequently as well.

Also, if we are talking about GIANT Capcom franchises that are important to Nintendo, than you are talking about Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter has been exclusive to Nintendo for a while, and look at this list of Capcom's top 5 best selling franchises

• Resident Evil - 61 million units.
  • Street Fighter - 35 million units.
  • Megaman - 30 million units.
  • Monster Hunter - 28 million units.
  • Devil May Cry - 13 million units.
(These are actual capcom financial numbers)

Those first three franchises have a hell of a head start on Monster Hunter as well.

I highly doubt we will see a third Capcom rep anytime soon, but I thought this was relevant to the conversation at hand.
Looking at those sales and how Street Fighter and Megaman have Smash reps, I already know the third Capcom rep

image.jpg

I'M A MEMBER OF S.T.A.R.S.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I really want an "horror" character, so I don't really care if it's Jill Valentine, Simon Belmont or Sir Arthur.
A Zombie as a Smash Run enemy, Kirby and possibly Bandana Dee killing zombies... yes.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ultra street fighter 4 is on sale and has a free time on Steam. What a perfect time to try out the newest Smash Bros character :troll:
Or emulate go pull out your old copy of Street Fighter 2 because if :4pacman: & :4megaman: are any indication, we'll see a moveset most about the character at the peak and not their most recent identity.

Or emulate go pull out your old copy of Street Fighter 2 because if :4pacman: & :4megaman: are any indication, we'll see a moveset most about the character at the peak and not their most recent identity.
You know I think this is the first time someone told me to go play an old game I actually own and wouldnt have to use the forbidden way to play. . .I forgot I had it and it isnt "turbo" or whatever but I own it.

it's a signnnnnnn

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Alright finally finished all the Moves for Savvy Stylist

Y'know it's pretty weird
Sm4sh's theme was portable vs home but the only Portable focus we got were Greninja and Robin, who were from established franchises that have appeared on both portable and home consoles
I've gotta admit it was underlying theme that was failed to be used effectively

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alright finally finished all the Moves for Savvy Stylist

Y'know it's pretty weird
Sm4sh's theme was portable vs home but the only Portable focus we got were Greninja and Robin, who were from established franchises that have appeared on both portable and home consoles
I've gotta admit it was underlying theme that was failed to be used effectively
Villager for Animal Crossing: New Leaf. still doesn't help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom