• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Alright finally finished all the Moves for Savvy Stylist

Y'know it's pretty weird
Sm4sh's theme was portable vs home but the only Portable focus we got were Greninja and Robin, who were from established franchises that have appeared on both portable and home consoles
I've gotta admit it was underlying theme that was failed to be used effectively
Villager for Animal Crossing: New Leaf. still doesn't help though.
If Isaac were playable, he wou- Never mind, Golden Sun is on the Wii U's eShop now. Isaac would still be a great addition, though. If I made a second vote, it would've certainly been Isaac.

Last edited by a moderator:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Niche?
What? Burruni you should know AC is a million selling IP, and just because the Villager encompasses everything about AC doesn't mean it can't get another character, there is still noticeable demand for both characters even after their de-confirmation.
Yeah, Animal Crossing has quietly become one of Nintendo's heavy hitters at this point. I don't feel the need for more Animal Crossing characters this time around but it's not for lack of success.

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/n...and-top-selling-software-as-of-march-31-2015/

New Leaf has sold more than anything without "Pokemon" or "Mario" in the title.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
No.
A) The series is fairly niche.
B) :4villager::4villagerf: Encompasses almost everything about the games as is.
C) The two big candidates for a second slot are Isabelle and Tom Nook, who are bound as an Assist Trophy and Final Smash.
Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's best selling franchises, what on earth are you talking about :p

Burruni

Smash Hero

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Lol, misposted.

Might as well say that Ryu isn't confirmed until he's confirmed. Anything can happen.

But he's basically confirmed.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Dude. We have sound files that came in with the DLC-enabling update.
It's a matter of WHEN not IF, no matter how you feel about him.
Oh, no... I already knew about the files... just that I wanted to know whether Ryu was actually confirmed or not. I mean, files don't mean anything. We had files for Dixie, Toon Zelda, Mewtwo, etc. in Brawl and they weren't playable.

Oh, no... I already knew about the files... just that I wanted to know whether Ryu was actually confirmed or not. I mean, files don't mean anything. We had files for Dixie, Toon Zelda, Mewtwo, etc. in Brawl and they weren't playable.
Forbidden 7's files werent added in a patch though.

Burruni

Smash Hero
A more apt comparison would be the Icies data, Rhythm Heaven symbol, and Dr. Mario Virus files for this game.

But the main difference is that these files weren't in the main game, they were ADDED during the patch that enabled DLC.

That is what makes it so impactful to the point that many consider it a non-official confirmation.

Edit: With the Forbidden 7, we know that Dixie was planned as a team with Diddy like Icies early on but was scrapped. Dr. Mario, Roy, and Mewtwo were planned-to-return veterans cut because of the time constraints that came due to SubSpace Emmisary being such a taxing thing for the team and the delays over certain characters like Sonic. Toon Zelda/Sheik is the ONLY one we don't have a firm story for. We still don't know if Pru_Mai even referred to a character or was a beta Random slot.

There is no reason for "cut content" that has been in the works for (at a rough ballpark, based on release of the main game and when the patch came) half a year in some unfinished project and DLC is not something that is under time constraints.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
A more apt comparison would be the Icies data, Rhythm Heaven symbol, and Dr. Mario Virus files for this game.

But the main difference is that these files weren't in the main game, they were ADDED during the patch that enabled DLC.

That is what makes it so impactful to the point that many consider it a non-official confirmation.
Ah... thank you for the clarification. I am going to wait and see if they will officially announce Ryu for SSB4 at E3 2015.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Edit: With the Forbidden 7, we know that Dixie was planned as a team with Diddy like Icies early on but was scrapped. Dr. Mario, Roy, and Mewtwo were planned-to-return veterans cut because of the time constraints that came due to SubSpace Emmisary being such a taxing thing for the team and the delays over certain characters like Sonic. Toon Zelda/Sheik is the ONLY one we don't have a firm story for. We still don't know if Pru_Mai even referred to a character or was a beta Random slot.
My theory is that they where most likely cut for time constraints as well as Toon Sheik probably having a bit more issues than it was worth. Sakurai said once that he changed the kicks for Toon Link for additional sword slashed due to his stubby legs. Considering that Sheik has a lot more acrobatic moves and attacks where she kicks than either Link or Zelda. It would have taken them more time than they probably had. Especially if their main reason for including Toon Sheik was to simply get Toon Zelda into the game.

That's just speculation on my part though. I do find it a little odd that Hyrule Historia never released any concept art of a Wind Waker Sheik like they did for the Twilight Princess Sheik.....

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
This might seem like a condescending question, but I only ask out of genuine curiosity:

What exactly is the purpose of rallying for unlikely characters? Perhaps for mainline Smash games I can understand it a bit more, but for DLC, character numbers are pretty limited. For me, if I want to spend hours of my time rallying for a DLC character, I think to myself "could this character conceivably be within the first ten DLC additions?" Supporting characters like K. Rool, Wolf, Isaac, Inkling, and Dixie make sense in this regard. But how fruitful is a DLC campaign for someone like Travis Touchdown going to be?

Sometimes you have characters that spike way up in popularity suddenly, like Shovel Knight, but those are very rare and incidental (and his popularity has pretty much totally died out by now). If you enjoy discussing the character and speculating about what they would look like in Smash, that's fine, but I couldn't imagine trying to run a thread and Twitter account for these types of characters on a daily basis. It'd be exhausting and mostly unproductive. Most of the time, either the character is popular and/or likely or not; very few are going to be on the fence.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This might seem like a condescending question, but I only ask out of genuine curiosity:

What exactly is the purpose of rallying for unlikely characters? Perhaps for mainline Smash games I can understand it a bit more, but for DLC, character numbers are pretty limited. For me, if I want to spend hours of my time rallying for a DLC character, I think to myself "could this character conceivably be within the first ten DLC additions?" Supporting characters like K. Rool, Wolf, Isaac, Inkling, and Dixie make sense in this regard. But how fruitful is a DLC campaign for someone like Travis Touchdown going to be?
Any and every support for an unlikely character counts a lot more in the long run. And we often do have cases of unlikely characters getting in :icsmelee::gawmelee: :rob::ivysaur::4wiifit::4duckhunt:, so we're just hoping that we get lucky.

:231:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's kinda ironic that most of the newcomers we did get in this time around where considered "unlikely" or "not having a chance" whilst most of the characters people considered "very likely" or "shoo-ins" didn't....

So yeah, being fair, we did get quite a lot of surprises so people should just support who they want and hope for the best...

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
It's kinda ironic that most of the newcomers we did get in this time around where considered "unlikely" or "not having a chance" whilst most of the characters people considered "very likely" or "shoo-ins" didn't....

So yeah, being fair, we did get quite a lot of surprises so people should just support who they want and hope for the best...
I totally saw Palutena and the Mii Fighters coming from a mile away!

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Hey does anybody have a mockup of the Smash Wii U/3DS roster with all of the Veteran Smashers on it?
I mean the current Smash 4 roster, but with the characters cut from Melee and Brawl added to it.
No Ridley, no Chorus kids, just the characters that have Already been part of Smash Fighter roster at some point.

I'm looking for an image of it but can't find one anywhere.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
How would you react if the Pac-Man Ghosts would be in Smash?
What I wonder is why Nobody considers being an Assist Trophy and a Stage Hazard as "Being in Smash"
That's like saying the Super Mushroom isn't in Smash.
There's a Distinction between being In Smash and being Playable!

Sorry I bring this up only on this reply, it's a much bigger issue and deserves to be brought up elsewhere, but characters Ridley, Chrom and Waluigi are Already In Smash: The thing is they're not Playable Fighters! This is something too many people don't understand.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
What I wonder is why Nobody considers being an Assist Trophy and a Stage Hazard as "Being in Smash"

Sorry I bring this up only on this reply, it's a much bigger issue and deserves to be brought up elsewhere, but characters Ridley, Chrom and Waluigi are Already In Smash: The thing is they're not Playable Fighters! This is something too many people don't understand.
I do, it's just nitpicky to change when people know what you're talking about.

Burruni

Smash Hero

We're well aware of this but very often fans of a character will not be satisfied with that Predefined Active Role, due to there being much more that could be done with them.
There is a reason oni333 and others made up a full sub forum just for those characters' support threads.
To not try to sound harsh, there is more raw potential and a bigger fan base for someone like Ganon, Waluigi, Ashley, Takamaru, and even though I'm a detractor, Ridley over some characters people that have active main threads for a fighter. To give three examples, Magikarp, Demi-Fiend from SMT: Nocturne, and Reckless Silouhuette Guy.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I agree with this sentiment, although we did get a lot of expected choices too, like Palutena, Little Mac, Shulk, Pac-Man...
But yeah, we should support who we want and not who is "going to happen anyway" because even when it's nearly guaranteed we'll get a certain character...sometimes we don't.
When someone says "in Smash" especially on this forum, it's pretty unanimously understood they mean as fighters. Mainly because we don't support our characters as becoming Assist Trophies.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Diffence: When saying 'in Smash' we mean playable characters, how would you feel if every character you wanted was an Assist Trophy or worse, a stage hazard? I'm not happy literraly every character I wanted didn't make it in. Ridley, BDee, K.Rool, Isaac, Ray MKII, Dillon, Nabbit, Dark Samus, Ghirahim, etc. I want to play as my favourite Nintendo characters or character I feel are significant enough

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Diffence: When saying 'in Smash' we mean playable characters, how would you feel if every character you wanted was an Assist Trophy or worse, a stage hazard? I'm not happy literraly every character I wanted didn't make it in. Ridley, BDee, K.Rool, Isaac, Ray MKII, Dillon, Nabbit, Dark Samus, Ghirahim, etc. I want to play as my favourite Nintendo characters or character I feel are significant enough
Yessssss.

But long story short:
It's super nitpicky, we all know that we mean playable.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

:4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena::4pacman::4mii: We're some of the possible candidates happening. Outside of them it was some out of left field surprises. Well maybe except for:4villager:&:4shulk:.

I mean people thought :4mewtwo: would replace :4lucario: or Zorak would replace both.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Nabbit and Captain Toad are the only Mario characters important enough I can think of
Waluigi raaaaaaaaage

:4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena::4pacman::4mii: We're some of the possible candidates happening. Outside of them it was some out of left field surprises. Well maybe except for:4villager:&:4shulk:.

I mean people thought :4mewtwo: would replace :4lucario: or Zorak would replace both.
Let me ask you this: Would you have SERIOUSLY thought that Shulk had a good standing if the Gematsu Leaks didn't happen?

It's because of them that I finally decided to shell out for a copy of Xenoblade, and after ~115 came to its conclusion feeling like it was too strong of a game to NOT be supported by Smash.

Xenoblade Chronicles X getting Treehouse coverage almost as much as Smash did only made me more assured it was going to happen.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
In all honesty, I want all 3 first party stage hazards become playable, Nabbit and Captain Toad are the only Mario characters important enough I can think of, Metal Face, though impossible because spoilers is awesome and Ridley's long overdue
Well, Porky was a boss in Brawl and there are a lot of spoilers as trophies already.
Now talk about Nabbit.

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
When someone says "in Smash" especially on this forum, it's pretty unanimously understood they mean as fighters. Mainly because we don't support our characters as becoming Assist Trophies.
Yes, yes I get it. I get what you all mean on This forum, I didn't mean this forum, I meant in broader terms of the Smash fanbase.
That's what I meant by this should be brought up somewhere else.

And whether you support your characters being Assist Trophies or not, you should still take the time to appreciate that the developers still put in the effort to include your favorite characters in the experience at All. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Sakurai considers Xenoblade Spoilers on the table.
OI! HIDE THAT!
Well, Porky was a boss in Brawl and there are a lot of spoilers as trophies already.
Now talk about Nabbit.
Metal Face isn't a giant robot but a guy in a mech suit
Nabbit can do something no one else has: Thief! While Greninja technically does that as the Kalos starters represent fighter mage thief circles, Greninja doesn't do that
Waluigi raaaaaaaaage.
Waluigi needs to show how he's different and gain some relevancy such as getting his own game dammit

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Let me ask you this: Would you have SERIOUSLY thought that Shulk had a good standing if the Gematsu Leaks didn't happen?

It's because of them that I finally decided to shell out for a copy of Xenoblade, and after ~115 came to its conclusion feeling like it was too strong of a game to NOT be supported by Smash.

Xenoblade Chronicles X getting Treehouse coverage almost as much as Smash did only made me more assured it was going to happen.

I always knew Shulk had a major shot way before Sal was reaching for popularity. It's the sole fact of how it did with Operation Rainfall, the reception it got, how it commercially excelled bigger than it was expected and Monolith Soft and as gonna make another game bas d on it with translation ready. Gemastu just gave him a platform albeit stupid.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
We're well aware of this but very often fans of a character will not be satisfied with that Predefined Active Role, due to there being much more that could be done with them.
There is a reason oni333 and others made up a full sub forum just for those characters' support threads.
To not try to sound harsh, there is more raw potential and a bigger fan base for someone like Ganon, Waluigi, Ashley, Takamaru, and even though I'm a detractor, Ridley over some characters people that have active main threads for a fighter. To give three examples, Magikarp, Demi-Fiend from SMT: Nocturne, and Reckless Silouhuette Guy.
I appreciate what you're saying (I especially commend you for being civil about it).
But that is not my point. I am not trying to discredit or derogate any fans desire to play as their favorite character, absolutely not.
(Especially not now when Nintendo's opened an ear and given us a voice! I support the Smash Bros Fighter Ballot 100%)

My point is simply that people Also need to understand and Appreciate the fact, that the developers Still put in all the time and effort to implement that character into the game at All.

For example: there are only 5 Playable Pokemon, but they still built, animated and programmed 40 Pokeball pokemon into Both games, animated 37 of them into the stages (5 on the 3DS and 32 on the Wii U) and even added 5 more as Smash Run enemies! So not counting trophies there are 87 Pokemon molded animated and programmed in to Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS

They still had to build program animate and voice Waluigi, Ashley, Midna, Dark Samus, Ghirahim and Samurai Goroh,
They Still had to build and animate and program Ridley to be a stage hazard in Pyrosphere,
They still built animated programmed and voiced Chrom to be part of Robin's Final Smash and victory screens,
Tom Nook's still in Villager's Final Smash, nearly All of the F-Zero racers are animated into the stage!

So when you clamor for these characters to join the other stars on the chosable roster, you shouldn't be Angry that they were neglected and unloved by the developers, because that is simply not true.

Nothing about making a Super Smash Bros game is easy, Sakurai and his team have it rough from day one.
They didn't satisfy Everyone, but they still deserve credit for trying. You can still Ask for more, but don't Pretend you got nothing.
That's all I'm saying. That's what I mean by I should bring this up elsewhere but here.
But I still think it's something that even everyone on this forum should be Conscious of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom