• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
inb4 jumpman
I can't remember the user.

But there was one person who was absolutely ADAMANT that our Retro newcomer for the game was going to be 8-Bit Mario.

Like MorbidAltruism, they're now just a faded part of Speculation Memories.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Isn't the whole point of gaining support for a character to have others join the bandwagon?
Bandwagoning is usually used in a negative sense, I prefer to just use supporters and just leave it at that.

Although it is kinda true that as a character gets viewed as "more likely" that sometimes more people tend to come along and support them. And if their likelyhood drops, then the amount of support may also dwindle. However at the same time I wouldn't accuse them of "not really wanting" the character moreso that they simply lost hope for them. That still doesn't mean that they don't genuinely want and support them though.

Otherwise you may also get cases like Rosalina who at a glance didn't have as many supporters because she wasn't viewed as likely compared to the likes of Toad and Bowser Jr. But as soon as she was confirmed a lot of people started coming out of the woodwork saying that they always wanted her in but simply didn't view as having any chance.

Although there may also be people who just come along because they liked the idea or simply wanted to see the fans of said character being happy. Which there is nothing wrong with that. At least I've never personally seen anybody who claimed to support a character but as soon as they are disconfirmed or their chances are hurt, that they turn around and claim that said character was always a terrible choice.

That's just me though..... :T
Sorry for the long reply by the way....

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Personally, I thought Rosalina was a lock the moment she was announced as a playable character in 3D World.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There are a lot of characters I don't actively support or have any connection to that I like for the reasons just outlined: I like to know that fans are happy. There are also a lot of characters I never supported because I didn't even consider it until it becomes apparent that they may have a good chance - I can't claim that I supported Ryu prior to the datamine, but now that I think he's likely to appear, I realise his merits and have come to appreciate the concept. I always thought Shulk would be a silly choice of character (I was totally ignorant as to his actual abilities; in my mind, he was just another Robin-esque mage knight), and it wasn't until his trailer that I realised, "Yeah, okay, this character is actually pretty great."

I don't think there's anything wrong with people supporting characters for whatever reason. As long as they're not causing harm or actively denying others the right to support their own characters, there's no issue, I reckon.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I can't remember the user.

But there was one person who was absolutely ADAMANT that our Retro newcomer for the game was going to be 8-Bit Mario.

Like MorbidAltruism, they're now just a faded part of Speculation Memories.
Ah, yes. I remember those two. I believe the user goes by epicgordan.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'd still like to know why Inkling has such a huge support. Inkling has had a huge support for months even though splatoon still isn't out.
Because it's a new IP that Nintendo is advertising from EMD or whatever it was called. Still salty how Splatoon gets all the hype while W101, Starfy's first game outside Japan and Dillon get nothing

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Because the characters are exciting, dynamic, adorable and practically designed with moveset potential in mind.

They were born to Smash.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'd still like to know why Inkling has such a huge support. Inkling has had a huge support for months even though splatoon still isn't out.
Because it's a game that some people got to play since the first day it was revealed and even then it was enjoyable.

It's a new IP full of innovation and creativity.

The arsenal of the character is "kiddy" enough to remain very Smash saavy and fitting desite the fact that its a shooter. (An issue present in getting :snake: to work in Brawl)

People have gotten to play the demo world wide via the test fire sessions and almost unanimously have been reaffirmed in their liking of it.

Because the game is quirky and genuinely humorous?

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Surprised someone hasn't use that as a song title
I'll make it to the top!
I'll show 'em what I've got!
Master Hand is gonna hear my name
And take me on!

I'll make it to the top!
I'll give it a shot!
Sakurai is gonna see my face
And fight with me!

'Cos I was born,
I was born,
'Cos baby I was born
I WAS BORN TO SMASH!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll make it to the top!
I'll show 'em what I've got!
Master Hand is gonna hear my name
And take me on!

I'll make it to the top!
I'll give it a shot!
Sakurai is gonna see my face
And fight with me!

'Cos I was born,
I was born,
'Cos baby I was born
I WAS BORN TO SMASH!
Quick, someone needs to make this parody a thing. I can guarantee you that thousands would love it to happen. :laugh:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
All this stuff about Ganon...

I know some peeps like @ A Distant Demon A Distant Demon and @ Burruni Burruni have wanted him for a long time...

But it honestly feels a bit like a bandwagon.

Which I find weird because Ganon is a constant.

What brought this sudden surge of discussion?

I mean Impa has been a popular pick since Skyward Sword.

Tingle since he's been born. Cuz he's too sexy.

Midna and Ghirahim since their respective debuts.

And Young Link since Melee. :younglinkmelee:

What happened with Ganon? It basically came out of no-where. The dude isn't very popular as a smash request (Impa, Young Link and Midna and Ghirahim all beat him in polls) and he's always had relevancy so there's no real reason for a big spike....

Don't get me wrong, Ganon would be neat (prefer Impa though, base @Diddy Kong you converted me), but this feels a bit odd.
That's easy to explain, it's because most people wanted Ganondorf to be decloned over Ganon becoming playable. With DLC, I doubt anyone thinks Ganondorf will be decloned, so Ganon is the next best thing.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not much would excite me more than the potential of a Bowser/Dedede/Ganon/K. Rool free for all. The ultimate collection of 90s Nintendo villains.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
If Mach Rider was in, I'd give her a stance system where she can change gears, so to speak. I based this on the fact that her trophy in melee mentions it for some reason.

Lower gear makes you slow and weak, but also makes you heavy and gives you big floaty jumps, and high gear ramps up the speed and attack in return for making you light, a fast fall and nerfing your jumps.

Also, her up-b (exploding and reforming) would be powerful and tricky to stop, in return for doing lots of self damage.

In that case, who's the joke character? WFT was said to not be the joke character iirc, and ROB, a joke character, was playable for a similar reason
ROB is a retro character as well.

Pichu is pretty much the only joke character. Other than maybe jigglypuff.

We have certainly had at least 1 retro rep per game since melee though.

:popo::gw::rob::pit::4duckhunt:

joke characters. . .not so much. Duck hunt surely isnt one though.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
What about someone from S.T.E.A.M Henry's alright, But Lion would be cool too

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I consider ROB a joke character as he doesn't really have a game. Speaking of DHD, Tvtropes said he's been a fairly popular request before Crusade included him. Though Tvtropes said Ridley fans ended up liking the monstrosity on Pyrosphere

Burruni

Smash Hero

Joke character? :4darkpit:

The joke is all of the salt he produces :troll:

But you could consider :4wario2:a joke character because of his really cartoony and at points gross-out humor.
Or :4dk:'s Down taunt by itself.

What about someone from S.T.E.A.M Henry's alright, But Lion would be cool too
The game left as quietly as it came. I really see IS focusing on FE, Paper Mario, and the Wars series and S.T.E.A.M. was an experimental one-off.

That's my opinion. The best thing to come off it is Yuri Lowenthal FINALLY giving an english voice to Marth.

Last edited:
I consider ROB a joke character as he doesn't really have a game. Speaking of DHD, Tvtropes said he's been a fairly popular request before Crusade included him. Though Tvtropes said Ridley fans ended up liking the monstrosity on Pyrosphere
not being from a game make shim a joke. . . When he is a part of a reason Nintendo did so well with the NES. . .Well the wide spread agreement is thta he is retro because he was added from his historical significance from being with Bundled with the NES and succeeding so well.
Its nes not snes right?

believing TVtropes on anything. lol

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Is "joke character" now a generally accepted category of character types? :confused:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
not being from a game make shim a joke. . . When he is a part of a reason Nintendo did so well with the NES. . .Well the wide spread agreement is thta he is retro because he was added from his historical significance from being with Bundled with the NES and succeeding so well.
Its nes not snes right?

believing TVtropes on anything. lol
Well, no one ever said " Boy, that ROB fellow should be playable" that's what I was getting at. Still very glad he's in mind you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom