• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
M
This... came out of nowhere, but let me say a few things about the list

1) Amaterasu is 3rd Party so get one massive pull in the ballot if you expect her.
2) "Prime Samus" as in having some major visual and gameplay distance from :4samus:despite just being her usage in the prime trilogy?
3) Kumatora and presumably Paula are from a series that already required DLC to get their second fighter back. And with Itoi saying that he is done with the series, I don't foresee a third character.
4) Beyond Good and Evil needs that teasered sequel before we seriously talk about Smash hopes...
5) "All Knight-like" Zelda..... a) why not the pre-planned Toon Zelda? b) why not Tetra? c) why not the rapier-toting Zelda from hyrule Warriors if you are gonna press for a 3rd version of Zelda on the roster, and I'd expect to see Impa and Ganon far before her.

Edit: Interesting that you'd list Dixie Kong but exclude Impa and then we have other big female DLC pushers like Krystal, Medusa, Shantae, Inkling (technically), even the likes of Anna (Fire Emblem), Captain Syrup, Bayonetta or even Adeline.
None of them are really recent/prominent enough to warrant another character spot; already loadsa FE characters, Impa isn't really a major in any of the games, Bayonetta's moveset....well, would be Bayonetta's moveset. She is half woman half leg.
Ametersu got a game on the Wii, just like Little Mac, and if the Ryu sound file/MH4U proves anything, it's that Capcom likes nintendo now.

You're right about Prime Samus clashing, but I was kinda dissapointed in how bland Samus was in this game. It's pretty obvious that Zero Clothes Samus was designed to be a much more potent fighter, but Samus in armour has so many possible configurations available...but, then again, Black Pit costume and Dark Pit.

Earthbound characters because, again, ease of moveset. EB characters are undoubtedly some of the most interesting in series, moveset-wise.
*ment to say Paula, not Paulie. Or Paulie Shore.

Burruni

Smash Hero
M

None of them are really recent/prominent enough to warrant another character spot; already loadsa FE characters, Impa isn't really a major in any of the games, Bayonetta's moveset....well, would be Bayonetta's moveset. She is half woman half leg.
Ametersu got a game on the Wii, just like Little Mac, and if the Ryu sound file/MH4U proves anything, it's that Capcom likes nintendo now.

You're right about Prime Samus clashing, but I was kinda dissapointed in how bland Samus was in this game. It's pretty obvious that Zero Clothes Samus was designed to be a much more potent fighter, but Samus in armour has so many possible configurations available...but, then again, Black Pit costume and Dark Pit.

Earthbound characters because, again, ease of moveset. EB characters are undoubtedly some of the most interesting in series, moveset-wise.
*ment to say Paula, not Paulie. Or Paulie Shore.
1) Beyond Good and Evil, a game from 2003, is recent/prominent enough but Krystal (Star Fox staple since Adventures, most recently Command), Medusa (Uprising), Shantae (Pirate's Curse & Half Genie Hero in 2014), Inkling (coming out this month), and Captain Syrup (Wario Land: Shake It! 2008) aren't...?
2) Amaterasu got a port of her PS2 title on early Wii, and still has that third party situation like Jade. Little Mac is First Party.
3) Earthbound characters are not expanding by any realistic stretch because of the reasons I stated earlier.

Edit:
If we count Ganondorf as a clone, then Fire Emblem will still have more reps.
No.

:4link::4zelda::4sheik: 3 Unique characters :4ganondorf::4tlink:2 semi-clones
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm:/:4robinf: 3 Unique characters :4lucina:1 Alt Costume Clone :roypm: 1 semi-clone at best.

We don't have more "reps." We also have more differentiated characters.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
ALSO MIDN-*shot, banned, electrocuted, sent to the Shadow Realm, etc.*

How did I...? I am dumb.
Although I have no idea what Pauline would do that would prevent her from being torn to shreds if she got in over Captain Toad.
Or King K. Rool and Dixie Kong, technically.
If Pauline couldn't even make it to Mario Kart....

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
1) Beyond Good and Evil, a game from 2003, is recent/prominent enough but Krystal (Star Fox staple since Adventures, most recently Command), Medusa (Uprising), Shantae (Pirate's Curse & Half Genie Hero in 2014), Inkling (coming out this month), and Captain Syrup (Wario Land: Shake It! 2008) aren't...?
2) Amaterasu got a port of her PS2 title on early Wii, and still has that third party situation like Jade. Little Mac is First Party.
3) Earthbound characters are not expanding by any realistic stretch because of the reasons I stated earlier.

Edit:
No.

:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm:/:4robinf: 3 Unique characters :4lucina:1 Alt Costume Clone :roypm: 1 semi-clone at best.

I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT TOON LINK!

Then it that case they still have a equal amount of reps.

Because a rep still takes a slot in the CSS!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think implicating a character's support comes from "bandwagoning" is really selling them short.
I also think that saying that Ganon's support comes from bandwagoning then praising Impa is extremely ironic.
I'm basically the one who started the bandwagon if anything... :rolleyes:

Remember, Impa is still better than Sheik.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex

Edit:
No.

Crystal was a very much Star Fox's Zelda character. Not a lot of promise there, unless she's granted a total redesign (no boob armour pls) like Falco and Fox from Brawl, which would totally love, I don't think Nintendo's that into it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If Pauline couldn't even make it to Mario Kart....
So Honey Queen confirmed. :awesome: Mario Kart's roster is strange...

Crystal was a very much Star Fox's Zelda character. Not a lot of promise there, unless she's granted a total redesign (no boob armour pls) like Falco and Fox from Brawl, which would totally love, I don't think Nintendo's that into it.
Hard to say anything until we get an idea of her role in Star Fox Wii U.

:231:

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Do "reps" really and truly matter?

Why does the roster have to come down to a paint-by-numbers scenario where perfectly legitimate characters are denied consideration because they happen to bear the same series icon?

I'm pretty sure Sakurai doesn't divvy up the roster based on rep-rep-repping.

If somebody would like to dispute that, go ahead, and please cite a verifiable source.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm basically the one who started the bandwagon if anything... :rolleyes:
It still counts. And yes. I have said many times before, I am all for Impa as an alt, clone, or replacement for Sheik.
Why does the roster have to come down to a paint-by-numbers scenario where perfectly legitimate characters are denied consideration because they happen to bear the same series icon?
I'm pretty sure Sakurai doesn't divvy up the roster based on rep-rep-repping.
If somebody would like to dispute that, go ahead, and please cite a verifiable source.
This, the fact we have Bowser Jr. and Rosalina introduced in the same game confirms this.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Except that her design wasn't any issue to implement her trophy, your argument is that you don't think she'd get the same visual treatment as 2 other characters in her own series because.... logic? Also, she's a character with vivid moveset potential with the arsenal that her staff used in Adventures.

Her promise comes from becoming the third most major member of the Star Fox crew with a good pool of unique moveset potential. Which is more credit than a fair chunk of candidates on your list.

Edit: And if we wanna talk about "inappropriate outfit" when it comes to a Smash character. Say hello to low cut top.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
So Honey Queen confirmed. :awesome: Mario Kart's roster is strange...

Hard to say anything until we get an idea of her role in Star Fox Wii U.

:231:
Thankfully Nintendo realised their mistakes and removed Honey Queen from 8.

Then they added Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
While at this point Impa replacing Sheik isn't possible, I'd still like it to happen in the future installments. However, if they could make the two as unique as possible, like a Marth / Ike situation, am all for it! If Impa has no other ways of getting in outside of being an alt or clone for Sheik, am fine with it too. But I'd still be dissapointed, provided that likes of Rosalina and Bowser Jr., despite their similarities to Peach and Bowser are probably the most unique newcomers this time around (or amongst them).

Burruni

Smash Hero
Why would you replace Sheik?
A number of people thought it was going to happen because :4sheik: was in just one game (Pre Hyrule Warriors) who was a Ninja in Smash derived from the Sheikah training that Impa gave Zelda in OoT.

Impa doing a mixture of her role and Sheik's in OoT with her Skyward Sword personae, people thought we could see Impa replacing Sheik in Smash due to recency and having the same potential, as I belive :4zelda:&:4sheik: were confirmed separate fighters before the April Direct? I can't remember when Phantom Slash got its PotD.

People also thought Ghirahim was going to be a playable fighter and we'd see :4link: & :4zelda: take a much stronger design reliance off of SS.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
...Rosalina and Bowser Jr., despite their similarities to Peach and Bowser are probably the most unique newcomers this time around (or amongst them).
This is a very good point. I wasn't involved in the speculation community prior to the ESRB leak, so I didn't consider Rosalina or Junior all that much, but I remember my brother telling me he wasn't interested in Junior because he expected him to just fight with a paintbrush and childish tricks.

He was pleasantly surprised to see how much Sakurai actually did with the character. It's a worthwhile memento that a character's appearance or heritage should not deny their true potential.

People also thought Ghirahim was going to be a playable fighter and we'd see :4link: & :4zelda: take a much stronger design reliance off of SS.
On the same note, my brother and I thought that Ghirahim might replace Ganondorf, and we reconsidered our stance with the rationale that "Ganondorf is an important Zelda character and a Smash veteran" and "you have to have the Triforce".

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
A number of people thought it was going to happen because :4sheik: was in just one game (Pre Hyrule Warriors) who was a Ninja in Smash derived from the Sheikah training that Impa gave Zelda in OoT.

Impa doing a mixture of her role and Sheik's in OoT with her Skyward Sword personae, people thought we could see Impa replacing Sheik in Smash due to recency and having the same potential, as I belive :4zelda:&:4sheik: were confirmed separate fighters before the April Direct? I can't remember when Phantom Slash got its PotD.

Ohoo, you don't know the debates that happened when Phantom Slash was shown without explanation.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
On the same note, my brother and I thought that Ghirahim might replace Ganondorf, and we reconsidered our stance with the rationale that "Ganondorf is an important Zelda character and a Smash veteran" and "you have to have the Triforce".
:4miibrawl::4ganondorf: One of these days, Wintropy! One of these Days! (I'm a ThunderCougarFalconDorf main xD MY BIG 3 CHARACTERS WERE ALL NON-CONFIRMED BEFORE THE 3DS RELEASE :4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4wario2:)

Ohoo, you don't know the debates that happened when Phantom Slash was shown without explanation.
God, no I don't. I really got onto the boards after the April Direct. I can only imagine the Impa vs Sheik war that happened when Phantom Slash was shown off by itself.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I never understood that, even at Ghirahim's most devout servant supporter...I always wanted them to co-exist. I wanted Ganondorf to finally have a friend. ;-;

Burruni

Smash Hero
Gannon also became more popular because he was also a villain, that factor drives the majority here to support.
I just saw that the Zelda Franchise Discussion Thread didn't even have Ganon on the list of contenders.

People listed pre-remake Skull Kid before him.

There's a reason I kept quiet about my support for Ganon xD

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have had a sort of gut feeling with Impa from the first time I saw her being revealed in Skyward Sword that she's going to be a major character in the future of Zelda. Why else would she be there in the whole 'beginning of the Legend'? Take my word, I'm also insanely good at prediciting the end of movies, so I consider myself an expert in these matters. :smirk:

Also, when is E3? I never know these things.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I never understood that, even at Ghirahim's most devout servant supporter...I always wanted them to co-exist. I wanted Ganondorf to finally have a friend. ;-;
Ghirahim might want to be more than friends though

EEEEEEEEEEEExcept for the part that Sheik was a playable character in Smash twice before this game, why remove the character to put a different one in just for lulz? It's like getting rid of Mario and putting Eario in to replace him for a BiTF rep

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ghirahim might want to be more than friends though

EEEEEEEEEEEExcept for the part that Sheik was a playable character in Smash twice before this game, why remove the character to put a different one in just for lulz? It's like getting rid of Mario and putting Eario in to replace him for a BiTF rep
Sakurai would have replaced Ness with Lucas if Mother 3 was released as Earthbound 64 in melee. Iunno.

Troykv

Smash Master
I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT TOON LINK!

Then it that case they still have a equal amount of reps.

Because a rep still takes a slot in the CSS!
CSS? Character... Slot Screen?

Lol, confirmed. People want Zelda New Char because Fire Emblem's reps.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Edit:
No.

I heard Amaterasu! What happened that made someone besides me bring up this awesome character?!?
Thank you!
Edit: And if we wanna talk about "inappropriate outfit" when it comes to a Smash character. Say hello to low cut top.

Hello.
I really don't think this would matter though. We have a Barbara the Bat trophy so......

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Amaterasu would be amazing. Am not actively supporting her, but damn I would enjoy her inclusion moreso than any newcomer we've gotten so far for Smash 4 easily.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Funny way to spell 'Mega Man, Ryu and other Capcom characters who are more important/recent'
Mega Man is already in silly. :p
Ryu.....Meh.
I don't think we would get a character from a rated M horror game, but even so Resident Evil characters would fit in less than many others. (Although it's still possible)
Dante would be a great addition as well.
Monster Hunter is not getting in.
Vuitifull Joe......Meh.
Amaterasu may be farther down on the chain of recancy, but that doesn't change the fact that She would be awesome in smash!

no
no
The only thing standing in Amaterasu's way is lack of support.
no
and being 3rd party. and thus Ryu and mega man. Kind of a big deal.
Vuitifull Joe......Meh.
no

No one wants Mach Rider?
He used to have a bit of support when he was in that one leak that piggybacked off Ninka/vaanrose. But when the roster was confirmed support got dropped hard.

SA for Ganon i didnt start supporting him until I played ALBW because I havent played much 2d zelda. Saw him and did a little research and now I want the guy. So wanting him for a long time isnt accurate but other than midna he is pretty much the only zelda character I give a damn about

Also i liked Nuts and bolts. Grab your pitchforks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom